Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
I have a bulb question for someone who knows about this stuff. What do I need to consider when I am buying a replacement bulb? Basically whats the difference between this for $199
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product/Overview.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&sku=V13H010L67

and this for $45.

http://www.amazon.com/Awo-lamps-ELP...s=MG-850hd+bulb

I have an Epson MG-850HD.

If there is a good reason to buy the more expensive one I would do it, I just don't know if there is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Socrates16 posted:

Do you have more specific recommendations for screens? I can 100% light control my room, and am looking at 100 inches. I really need something on a stand, as I cannot drill into my apartment walls.

Most manufacturers have portable screen options. Elite has some that are tripod-mounted and some that just rise directly out of their cases. The latter is called the ezCinema line. Last time I checked, they are non-tensioned (meaning you'll end up with ripples in the fabric), but other manufacturers might have tensioned freestanding models.

joebob posted:

I have a bulb question for someone who knows about this stuff. What do I need to consider when I am buying a replacement bulb? Basically whats the difference between this for $199
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product/Overview.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&sku=V13H010L67

and this for $45.

http://www.amazon.com/Awo-lamps-ELP...s=MG-850hd+bulb

I have an Epson MG-850HD.

If there is a good reason to buy the more expensive one I would do it, I just don't know if there is.

The first one is an official Epson replacement lamp/housing. The second one is third-party.

The downside of third-party lamps is that the quality is all over the map. Some are actually OEM parts (almost all projector manufacturers buy lamps from other companies rather than make them in-house) while others are cheap knock-offs. The cheap knock-offs may be lower in brightness, have much shorter lifespan, or just straight up explode in your projector (and potentially damage other parts). There's no way to tell which third-party lamps aren't poo poo, either.

The downside of buying real replacement lamps is that they cost more.

Go ahead and get the cheap lamp if you want, but be aware of the risk. If you're using your projector in a professional setting, or if the projector costs enough that replacing it would hurt, spring for the genuine lamps.

This almost triggered a rant about Amazon user reviews, but I'll save most of that for another day. Just don't think a knock-off lamp is the same as the real deal because Bubba from Bumfuck says it "WORKS GREAT." Bubba wrote that review five minutes after he got the lamp. He doesn't have access to a light meter so he can't tell that it's half as bright as it ought to be, and when it flames out in six months he's not going to remember to update his review.

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

So I am in the market for our first projector. I will use it for gaming and for family movie night. The two that I have been looking at are the Optoma HD141X and the one you recommended the BenQ W1070. I will be using a Monoprice Wireless HDMI Extender with the projector, I do not want to run cables through my walls since I will be doing the install myself. I have enough space and a nice big ol wall to put fabric on or buy a motorized screen. My problem now is the projector choice. My wife says no for the projector since we do have a 70" TV, but once she enjoys the home-theater experience she will change her mind quickly. How is the Optoma compared to the BenQ?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Equate posted:

So I am in the market for our first projector. I will use it for gaming and for family movie night. The two that I have been looking at are the Optoma HD141X and the one you recommended the BenQ W1070. I will be using a Monoprice Wireless HDMI Extender with the projector, I do not want to run cables through my walls since I will be doing the install myself. I have enough space and a nice big ol wall to put fabric on or buy a motorized screen. My problem now is the projector choice. My wife says no for the projector since we do have a 70" TV, but once she enjoys the home-theater experience she will change her mind quickly. How is the Optoma compared to the BenQ?

From everything I've read the HD141x is essentially a scaled-back version of the HD131x, which means it has a slower color wheel without a true RGBRGB layout. You'll see more rainbows and white will be brighter than other colors, while the W1070 will appear more balanced and the faster color wheel will do a better job of hiding rainbows.

The HD141x isn't a bad projector for the cost, but if the W1070 fits your room there's really no reason to go with the HD141x over it. It's still the best in its class by a fair margin.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 19, 2014

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Equate posted:

You want the 1070 for that budget, wireless HDMI kind of sucks and adds time to sync up (and depending on your environment may not be all that reliable), and I wouldn't count on your wife enjoying the "HT" experience with a projector that much more than a 70'' TV. PJ's are nice - I have the Epson 5030ub and a 110' screen - but they don't make good TV replacements. It takes time for them to turn on and warm up (and in your case, sync wireless HDMI - when it works) and you have to be careful turning them off, and not everyone enjoys sitting in a darker room.

I like mine, but I have it in a dedicated theater room and only use it for events/movie nights. If that's your plan then you should be ok just know what you are getting in to.

I don't recommend PJ's for gaming, even the ones with low input lag - it's still not lower than a TV, and believe it or not using a really large screen for games will tire your eyes out. Some people like doing it anyway but again, it's not a straight-up TV replacement.

Also motorized screens are expensive and generally not worth the hassle unless you absolutely need that wall space when it isn't in use (and even then, remember that it's gonna take up a lot of space and be really obvious) - if you can get away with a fixed screen, buy one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZRM9K0

Which comes in 100'' or 120'' inch sizes. Best value screen around - the 100 is $200 and the 120 $250 and the quality is really good - you won't find something better for under a grand.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

I want to buy a nice, affordablish projector for gaming and movies. I have a huge empty white wall in my living room. I am willing to drop up to £400-500 on a projector. Of course if there's something cheaper, then I'd be happy to pick it up. What I don't want is a dim, lovely projection.

I was at Facebook's HQ the other day and those guys have projectors that are as bright as TV screens, even with all the lights on. I was surprised that can be achieved. Of course those probably cost way more than my budget allows, but is there a 1080p projector that's bright as gently caress and not poo poo?

Does the projector in the OP meet these criteria? It costs £600, so a bit over-budget.

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 20, 2014

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

awesome-express posted:

I want to buy a nice, affordablish projector for gaming and movies. I have a huge empty white wall in my living room. I am willing to drop up to £400-500 on a projector. Of course if there's something cheaper, then I'd be happy to pick it up. What I don't want is a dim, lovely projection.

I was at Facebook's HQ the other day and those guys have projectors that are as bright as TV screens, even with all the lights on. I was surprised that can be achieved. Of course those probably cost way more than my budget allows, but is there a 1080p projector that's bright as gently caress and not poo poo?

Does the projector in the OP meet these criteria? It costs £600, so a bit over-budget.

Those are expensive and also not really suited for movies/games though of course you could use one for that.

Light cannons like the ones you saw at Facebook are designed for office/presentation use. All but the most expensive are lower resolution too (under 1080p) and often have 4:3 aspect ratios.

That's not to say you can't get a nice bright HT oriented PJ, just that the ones you saw being used in a meeting room that even work well in indirect sunlight are not it.

For your budget I'd get the 1070 - it's nice and bright, has a very decent 1080p image, and if I'm doing my Pounds>Dollars conversion correctly is right around your budget. Low input lag too for a PJ though see my post above - not all games are that great on a giant screen. First Person shooters in particular give me serious eyestrain on my 110'' screen after an hour or two. That said if FPS isn't your thing I bet there are some games (racing) that are fun.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I don't know if this is outside the purview of this thread, but I've got an old VW camper, and I've been toying with the idea of setting up a projector in it pointing out the side door (I'd set a screen up outside of it). Is the 1070 the projector for me, or does it not do so well outside? Also, any particular does or don'ts for a screen in a situation like that?

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Any suggestions on a motorized ceiling-mounted screen?

It's going in a basement that has a single window but it can be closed so it's 99% complete darkness. I'm looking for something about 100" - 110" to be used with the Benq projector.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

surc posted:

I don't know if this is outside the purview of this thread, but I've got an old VW camper, and I've been toying with the idea of setting up a projector in it pointing out the side door (I'd set a screen up outside of it). Is the 1070 the projector for me, or does it not do so well outside? Also, any particular does or don'ts for a screen in a situation like that?

Several manufactures used to make "outdoor" PJ's like the Optoma MovieMate that had speakers and DVD players built in to them along with rugged cases but that niche appears to have faded so just buy a decent all around budget PJ, of which the 1070 is one of the better ones. It has a pair of 10w speakers built in but I don't have one so I can't say if that's "good enough" or not - probably ok for what you are talking about.

It should go without saying but as bright as it is the 1070 - or any budget PJ - isn't going to do that well in daylight. They are really meant for twilight or night time viewing, outdoors. Other obvious advice - keep it out of the weather :)

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Ixian posted:

Several manufactures used to make "outdoor" PJ's like the Optoma MovieMate that had speakers and DVD players built in to them along with rugged cases but that niche appears to have faded so just buy a decent all around budget PJ, of which the 1070 is one of the better ones. It has a pair of 10w speakers built in but I don't have one so I can't say if that's "good enough" or not - probably ok for what you are talking about.

It should go without saying but as bright as it is the 1070 - or any budget PJ - isn't going to do that well in daylight. They are really meant for twilight or night time viewing, outdoors. Other obvious advice - keep it out of the weather :)

Great, thanks! And yeah, I'd figured on nightime watching. I've got it set up with some nice flooring in the bus, so my goal is to throw a sumo bag inside against the wall and have a screen set up off the framing for one of the bus-specific awnings and do drive-out movie nights more so than to use it when I'm actually taking trips. I'm figuring I'd have the projector set up inside the bus, so no worries on the weather front unless my roof starts leaking (:ohdear:).

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Equate posted:

My wife says no for the projector since we do have a 70" TV, but once she enjoys the home-theater experience she will change her mind quickly.

I'm gonna pass on this one. Don't be a lovely husband.

awesome-express posted:

You can get bright projectors that look really good, even in daylight, but they cost a small fortune. Panasonic just released a WUXGA laser projector at 6,500 lumens and it looks loving fantastic, but it costs $25,000. Facebook can afford them. You can't.

If you can't afford the W1070, you can't afford good 1080p. The Optoma models (HD26, HD141X) are okay in a pinch, but because of their color wheels they are actually not as bright as the W1070 when you're looking at anything that isn't a white test pattern. We're talking about a small cost increase for much better performance with the W1070. Please don't cheap out.

Vinlaen posted:

Any suggestions on a motorized ceiling-mounted screen?

It's going in a basement that has a single window but it can be closed so it's 99% complete darkness. I'm looking for something about 100" - 110" to be used with the Benq projector.

You didn't give a budget so I have no idea. Whatever you get, make sure it's tab-tensioned.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

King Hotpants posted:

You didn't give a budget so I have no idea. Whatever you get, make sure it's tab-tensioned.
Hmmm... maybe under $500?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Vinlaen posted:

Hmmm... maybe under $500?

You might get a decent *manual* pull down screen for that. Motorized, no. I mean, you can find one, but it won't be that good.

You can however get a fantastic fixed screen for less than half of that, see the posts above. If you absolutely positively have to have a motorized screen then I advise you to check out the for sale sections on reputable HT forums like AVSforum.com and see if you can snag a used one. Shipping won't be cheap though.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
You can get this Elite Spectrum for under $500 and it's both electric and tab-tensioned. It's 100" diagonal, 1.1 gain white.

I have no idea if it's any good as I haven't seen Elite's motorized or pull-down offerings in several years.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Is projection screen paint still a thing? I live in a loft with giant ceilings, and therefore have one giant bare wall that I project onto. It looks pretty great on just plain old drywall with white latex paint on it, but it would be nice to get some gain from a proper screen. It's usable during the day, even with two giant windows nearby, but it rivals a pretty nice movie theater at night.

Basically I'd like to know the cheapest way to improve my viewing experience on my wall. The projected image is about 120" at 1080p.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Painted screens are indeed still a thing. There are a bunch of crazies over in the AVSForum DIY Screen section who devote a lot of time and energy to painted screens. Several of them insist that their paint is better than the big names -- Stewart, Draper, Screen Innovations, et cetera. I don't necessarily think they're right (physicists and engineers versus some dude in his basement with a paint sprayer and a forum account, hmm) but it's definitely possible to paint a screen and have it look good.

Topic change: I expanded the OP with more information. Y'all can also suggest topics or ask questions in general if you like.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
As King Hotpants says, paint is very much still a thing, and you can go all the way down the rabbit hole with it if you want, mixing and matching paints from Home Depot. In theory you could come out with a nice screen surface for not much money but some effort is required. The biggest issue with homemade painted screens is getting the paint exactly uniform, which is why the ones who are serious about it rent professional sprayers. In which case you are probably going to go above the cost of a decent low-end screen.

Goo Systems sells a pretty well-reviewed screen pain kit for $299 that is supposedly good and fairly easy to apply with a roller, if you want to go that route:

http://www.goosystemsglobal.com/index2237k.html

It comes with black border strips too. I imagine if you have the need for a huge (over 120 inch) screen and have the wall for it this would be a good cost-effective option, otherwise I'd just get the SilverScreen 100'' or 120" fixed screen for $199/$250 and save the trouble.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Screens can be surprisingly cheap if you go fixed. I have a 135" fixed Visual Apex screen that sell for 500 dollars. I recently changed the material over to a Seymour XD acoustically transparent screen for around 300 shipped, it can be had for less but I had them give me a diagonal cut.

A little OT but going AT was the best thing I did. I have an alcove where I just shoved EVERYTHING behind it, including my PC.

Ignore the paper on the window, it will get tinted, probably.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

What equipment is that? Details, man!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Yeah, more information please. I'm about to build a frame for a new 120" screen to replace my temporary 4x8 build but I didn't realize AT was this cheap now. Does it require anything different out of the frame itself or should I be able to easily upgrade from blackout cloth in the future?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
The speakers are Dayton kits from parts-express. I think they are discontinued since all they have up are these ones: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rs722cck-speaker-kit-curved-cherry--302-973

Mine are the same except they came with Shure drivers and better speaker stuffing, I think they were around 500-600 dollars each, not sure why they don't sell them anymore.
The subwoofers are are Dayton 15" reference drivers and the cabinets were flat packs from Parts Express.
I'm quite happy with the results.

wolrah posted:

Yeah, more information please. I'm about to build a frame for a new 120" screen to replace my temporary 4x8 build but I didn't realize AT was this cheap now. Does it require anything different out of the frame itself or should I be able to easily upgrade from blackout cloth in the future?

Since you are making one some people will staple it to the frame if you are making one out of wood. In my instance the old material was a pocket and rod system. I didn't bother looping the cloth back and sewing it to make a pocket for the rod, i just placed the rod on top of the material and clipped it into place.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

So I bit the bullet and bought the OP recommended 1080p projector.

Holy poo poo :stare:

HOG ILLUSTRATIONS
Apr 26, 2006
Does anyone have an opinion on the Benq W1070 vs the HT1075? From what I can tell there isn't a lot of info on the HT1075 yet and I don't really care about wireless hdmi, but other than that is it worth the extra ~150 bucks?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Can anyone recommend a mount for the W1070 that allows for minor adjustments up and down, side to side, and back and forth without the need for a tool? The one I have is annoying and I have to loosen bolts with a hex key to make an adjustment which in turn affects another.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

HOG ILLUSTRATIONS posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on the Benq W1070 vs the HT1075? From what I can tell there isn't a lot of info on the HT1075 yet and I don't really care about wireless hdmi, but other than that is it worth the extra ~150 bucks?

I don't know what you mean by "isn't a lot of info on the HT1075." Both Projector Central and Projector Reviews have published their reviews, and Projector Central just did a shootout of 1080p projectors under $1,000 that features it.

Wireless HDMI isn't included on the HT1075; it's an optional kit. What you get are horizontal keystone (which you shouldn't use), a new menu system, and MHL on one of the HDMI ports. Everything else is the same. If you don't care about any of those things, get the W1070 and save your money.

heldicus
Oct 27, 2004

:stare:............:byodood:

TheMadMilkman posted:

My older brother is intent on buying a Sony VPLHW40ES. He has an irrational affinity for Sony products, and the price isn't an issue for him. Do I talk him into something else or leave it alone?

He doesn't have a screen yet, so grey would be an option. I haven't measured his room, but the screen would likely be between 100" and 120". Will be used for movies and satellite TV. No gaming. The room has a pre-installed projector mount, but we can move it without too much issue, so throw distance isn't a major concern.

I have this projector. It is jaw dropping. Right out of the box....

I'm not a Sony fanboy by any means but it's the projector my contractor recommended. There is a similarly priced epson that is always reviewed head to head with this Sony. They are probably neck and neck but people will swear that one is better than the other.

All I know is that it's fantastic if you've got the budget for it.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
As a person who looks at projectors for a living:

Absent some kind of special circumstances, if it were my money I'd buy the Sony HW40 over the Epson 5030 every time.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I'm thinking about moving over to something other than my Mitsu HC9000D. Its a nice projector, I've always liked the SXRD chips, but the lumens on this have always been lower than I've wanted even in a very well light controlled room, most of my viewing is at night anyway. I have a 135" 16:9 screen, and am wondering if there is something out there comparable with a higher light output between 3,000 to 6,000 USD. The chip alignment could have been better on that projector as well as one side would always be half a pixel or more off no matter what I did to it, it is noticeable in certain conditions. I'm sensitive to the DLP color wheel so It looks like SXRD is what I need to stick with.
I also shift my image down for my constant width setup for scope movies, so something with a good shift range is needed.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 19, 2014

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I'm thinking about moving over to something other than my Mitsu HC9000D. Its a nice projector, I've always liked the SXRD chips, but the lumens on this have always been lower than I've wanted even in a very well light controlled room, most of my viewing is at night anyway. I have a 135" 16:9 screen, and am wondering if there is something out there comparable with a higher light output between 3,000 to 6,000 USD. The chip alignment could have been better on that projector as well as one side would always be half a pixel or more off no matter what I did to it, it is noticeable in certain conditions. I'm sensitive to the DLP color wheel so It looks like SXRD is what I need to stick with.
I also shift my image down for my constant width setup for scope movies, so something with a good shift range is needed.

The HC9000D produced about 800 lumens in Cinema mode under optimal conditions, so that's the number I'm trying to beat. You didn't specify how you were running the Mits or your throw distance, so your actual measured output was probably much lower.

I've got two options for you: the Sony HW55ES ($3999) and the Epson LS9600e ($6000). Both are 1080p LCoS projectors with long zoom lenses and good lens shift. Both of them are brighter than your HC9000D, but the HW55ES is a lot brighter (1400 lumens) and the LS9600e is only a little brighter (975 lumens). However, the LS9600e is laser-driven, so it will stay bright for a long time and you don't have to buy replacement lamps.

The HW55ES has manual zoom/focus/shift, but good range. The LS9600e has powered adjustments, better range, and lens memory, so you can program in one setting for 16:9 and one for 2.35 and it will remember them, and then you can go back to those settings with a button on the remote.

If you can stomach the price tag, the LS9600e is the better projector, but the HW55ES looks almost as good for 2/3 as much money. So essentially, another $2K gets you a longer zoom, powered adjustments, and lasers instead of lamps.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
The Epson looks like a competitor to the JVC models. Its too bad Sony removed the electric lens, I assume they've been focusing on 4k, that's a big one for me. Is the Epson not out yet? I may just wait for tax time and look into the 10000.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 19, 2014

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

I'm looking for a projector as a tv replacement that can deal with ambient light. A silverticket 120" gray fixed screen is probably going to be the screen.

With a budget of ~$800 I'm considering the Optoma HD131XE or XD141X (The colorwheel is an issue here) and the HT1075 (input lag for gaming is a problem). The weird throw offset of the Epson 2030 made me discount it. Any suggestions one way or another? Decent performance with indirect sunlight and input lag are my two main concerns.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

The Epson looks like a competitor to the JVC models. Its too bad Sony removed the electric lens, I assume they've been focusing on 4k, that's a big one for me. Is the Epson not out yet? I may just wait for tax time and look into the 10000.

The Epson LS projectors aren't out yet in the US as far as I know, and they'll be in restricted distribution when they do finally arrive. And in my opinion, the LS10000 is worth the extra $2k if you can swing it.

ThinkFear posted:

I'm looking for a projector as a tv replacement that can deal with ambient light. A silverticket 120" gray fixed screen is probably going to be the screen.

With a budget of ~$800 I'm considering the Optoma HD131XE or XD141X (The colorwheel is an issue here) and the HT1075 (input lag for gaming is a problem). The weird throw offset of the Epson 2030 made me discount it. Any suggestions one way or another? Decent performance with indirect sunlight and input lag are my two main concerns.

The HT1075 is so much better than the HD131X/HD141X that the slight increase in input lag is more than worth it.

Out of curiosity: what games are you playing that you're concerned about? Have you had problems with input lag before, and if so can you tell me about them?

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

King Hotpants posted:

The Epson LS projectors aren't out yet in the US as far as I know, and they'll be in restricted distribution when they do finally arrive. And in my opinion, the LS10000 is worth the extra $2k if you can swing it.

The HT1075 is so much better than the HD131X/HD141X that the slight increase in input lag is more than worth it.

Out of curiosity: what games are you playing that you're concerned about? Have you had problems with input lag before, and if so can you tell me about them?

I haven't had issues with input lag before, I was just concerned over it after I read the projectorcentral review. Typical games are game-of-the-month shooters, racing games, some third person games. All pretty casual in nature. Projector wise - I have an older Panasonic PT-L785U that I do outdoor theater stuff with including splitscreen games. Input lag was never a problem for me there, though I don't know that Panasonic measures up.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Never mind, I need to figure out how to read.

Sir Nose fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 27, 2014

surc
Aug 17, 2004

So, I've been seeing the BenQ MH630 for pretty cheap, and as far as I can tell, the main difference between the MH630 and W1070 is going from DLP to "1080p DarkChip3 DLP", which looks like it has better contrast. Is it a noticably large difference in display quality?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

King Hotpants posted:

Because I can't wait for things I went with the next best thing. I found that there are refurbs of the JVC DLA-X700R for a decent discount. I have always avoided refurbs, but I decided to give it a try.

I thought my Mitsu was pretty good, but this thing just curb stomped it. Out of the box picture is quite amazing. I set it to THX and visually tweaked a few things. The convergence is near perfect, and perfect after I adjusted it. The lens adjustment is very nice compared to the Mitsu, it had major gear lash and adjustments were always big, with the JVC everything is very fine and tight. Memory is nice too. The dynamic iris is also usable, unlike the Mitsu, I just left that one off. I think the contrast numbers on the Mitsu were inflated, as the JVC has a lower naitive number listed, but it is very obvious it is better. Blacks are miles ahead and this thing is a light canon, suitable for my 135"

The eshift tech is kind of a mixed bag, it has some artifacts, but that could be because I have a Darby inline and the combo is too much, I haven't touched the settings on the Darby yet, but I did bump up the smoothing for the eshift and it tamed it to the point that some scenes in Guardians of the Galaxy were film like in softness (well not soft, but not digital looking, not flat) and with the extra light and contrast this thing had the colors defiantly punched out, which also helped with the flat look.

I am having problems though, im having signal loss glitches. If I'm playing a movie on my PC, ill have a split second glitch of it throwing a previous frame up from the buffer, this happened about 5 times in two hours. If I'm using my PS3, it will throw up a split second static frame, this will happen every few mins. I don't know if this is a few cable problems, or if my projector isn't playing nice with the receiver, I have the latest firmware. Any thoughts?

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

surc posted:

So, I've been seeing the BenQ MH630 for pretty cheap, and as far as I can tell, the main difference between the MH630 and W1070 is going from DLP to "1080p DarkChip3 DLP", which looks like it has better contrast. Is it a noticably large difference in display quality?

The MH630 is a business projector with a 2x speed color wheel that I'm willing to bet has non-RGB segments (which is how they get 3000 lumens out of it) and lovely contrast. It is a terrible choice for home theater.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I am having problems though, im having signal loss glitches. If I'm playing a movie on my PC, ill have a split second glitch of it throwing a previous frame up from the buffer, this happened about 5 times in two hours. If I'm using my PS3, it will throw up a split second static frame, this will happen every few mins. I don't know if this is a few cable problems, or if my projector isn't playing nice with the receiver, I have the latest firmware. Any thoughts?

So I'm guessing you are wired source --> receiver --> projector?

Try swapping out the HDMI cable between receiver and projector. If that fixes it, it's a bad cable. I'm 99% sure this is the problem -- either the cable is bad or it's too long and the HDCP handshake is making GBS threads the bed for some reason.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Found it yesterday, I forgot the cable to the projector was coupled with an extension from Radio Shack. It worked fine with the old proj, just not the new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
This might be a bit outside the purview of this thread, but have any of you had any time with the new Panasonic ultra-short throw lenses? Preferably the ET-D75LE90 but any insight on the ET-DLE030 would be good as well.