Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

JHVH-1 posted:

It seems like the place I am at has all that set up in a way that works. They have groups for the application admins and certain special apps that go to the right people. The stuff I am going to be on call for comes from nagios and when its acknowledged there it automatically acknowledges it in Pagerduty. Seems like the way they use it is sms or push notification in like 5/10 minutes and then if thats not answered then it calls them to wake people up, and then if nothing from that it goes to a secondary on call.
This place is weird, and they have some big name clients but things are at least spread out or designed for failover so anytime a single thing has a problem its usually not a showstopper.

How did you get Nagios acks to forward into pager duty? I thought that wasn't possible? Or am I thinking about pager duty not forwarding acks to Nagios?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.

Dark Helmut posted:

I think it's important to note that it's ok to have an open and honest conversation with your recruiter about salary. Where you are now, what you are targeting and why, etc, so you can both discuss the market conditions and how your salary req stacks up with the local competition.

And you're working in a brewery??!! Nice pull, man...

Thanks, I get cheap beers and its 2km from my home, so :cheers:

However, thanks to COMMUNISTS I have a 3 month notice, which will feel like 5 years I reckon. I'm leaving at a bad time for the company and my presence must be prolonged as much as possible so it seems...

My resignation talk was interesting, my boss started by saying that my communications skills are far below par and that my technical skills sucks. She then went on to say how I am the good guy in the organization and that she could rely on me and that I always was correct in how I approached her, so I have no idea WTF the first part was about :confused:

She also did a counter offer (yea, not gonne happen), so it's even weirder that she wants to keep the guy who in her eyes apparently sucks? Thanks boss for the nice chat :fuckoff:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Punc posted:

She also did a counter offer (yea, not gonne happen), so it's even weirder that she wants to keep the guy who in her eyes apparently sucks? Thanks boss for the nice chat :fuckoff:

You probably figured this out, but if she hadn't brought up your allegedly far-below-par skills a long time ago, like in previous performance reviews, then she's full of poo poo. She's probably personally insulted that you don't want to work for her anymore (egomaniacs and narcissists get this way), and felt the need to put you down in response. Incredibly petty and unprofessional, and I would have been tempted to tell her that. Only tempted though; I actually am a professional.

Just don't take what she said to heart.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

NZAmoeba posted:

How did you get Nagios acks to forward into pager duty? I thought that wasn't possible? Or am I thinking about pager duty not forwarding acks to Nagios?

I think when you Ack the alert you have to hit the "send notification" checkbox. I don't think it works the other way, the pagerduty plugin works as a notification script in nagios.

When we moved away from a pager to pagerduty last year I was pleasantly surprised to see that nagios will resolve the alerts in pagerduty too (as long as you set it to send notifications to the pagerduty contact for OK status)

indigoe
Jul 29, 2003

gonna steal the show, you know it ain't no crime
There is a connector that enables pagerduty to submit a service acknowledgement to nagios: https://github.com/jeffwalter/pd-nag-connector

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

You dudes patching your DC's yet or what.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

internet jerk posted:

Talking about the patch for the kerberos privilege vulnerability?

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Yep.

E: Content

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/MS14-068

http://blogs.technet.com/b/srd/archive/2014/11/18/additional-information-about-cve-2014-6324.aspx

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/11/microsoft-releases-emergency-security-update/

Bloodborne fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Nov 19, 2014

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Thanks for everyone who gave me advice for that interview the other week. I got invited for a second interview and now have a new job! :toot:
The same morning they told me, someone else offered me interview for another job. Guess my latest CV re-write was an improvement as I hadn't had anything but recruiters calling me for months.

Nice pay bump (I pushed for a little more than I normally would and got it). Briefly met the team and they seem like a good bunch. Got invited to their Xmas night out, but still get to go to my current works' do. I really like the company I'm working for just now, but there was no scope for advancement and I've honestly been here too long because I was comfortable.

It's also in Edinburgh, which is one of my favourite cities, but I'm looking for flats and it's frighteningly expensive. There was a one bedroom flat with a combined kitchen/living room charging £1300 a month in rent. :stare:

Still, all going to plan I should be sorted out in time for the hogmanay street party.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks Ants posted:

Also it definitely doesn't sound like your job to find out what someone you don't manage does all day. Stay far away from that surveillance poo poo.

Who said I'm not his manager?

This guy is so incompetent. Watching him use a computer is like watching my grandma use one. Yesterday we had a call with UPS (that he took a month to schedule) so that one of their guys could re-configure this middleware that hits our iSeries and pulls customer info over when you scan an order, the email address wasn't being imported.

So the person on the phone asks him to go to https://www.gotoassist.com and it took him almost 5 minutes to get to the actual site. Typed the name in wrong 50 times, then he typed it into Google, then it took another 3 minutes for him to enter the 9-digit or however long invitation code in...He can barely use a Windows computer. It's scary.

He never emails the rest of the team about stuff, he always comes over to your desk to tell you in person, no matter how simple the thing is. The ongoing joke is that his Outlook broke a couple years ago and he can't bring himself to ask anyone for help on how to set it back up.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Just had my first night of being on-call...already hate it.

I'm only secondary/back-up on-call (still too new to go on primary,) but I might as well have been primary because the actual primary guy didn't answer a single page after midnight (which was four, about one an hour from 1:30 to 4:30.)

Only one of the pages was a legit issue, the rest was just our drat monitoring agent not being able to communicate and the getting reported as offline. It's a repeat problem at this one customer, and we're reluctant to throw up a maintenance/no-paging window because of how our drat paging/alert system is coded/cobbled together, it's all done on a whole-server basis, so what if a REAL PROBLEM GETS MISSED? :supaburn: (this customer also had three separate, yet totally unrelated, internet outages last month, so we are already on the cusp of being kicked to the curb, so we have to be super vigilant to any problems they have.)

How do your employers handle on-call pay? Because I get the feeling we get shafted...we only get paid if we do actual work, i.e. open a ticket (though it is a min. of 1 hour if we do that.) But if it's a nuisance page and all we do is clear it out, or maybe put up a maintenance window, we don't get any extra money. I think that's BS. If I have to get up to do anything, I should get compensated for it. I also believe that merely being on-call, even if I don't get a single page all week, is deserving of a small pay increase for that week since I am forced to be strapped to my phone, pager, and laptop all week long.

I have strong feelings on lots of things here. Docjowles summed up a lot of what I was going to write because it basically boils down to the problems with your lovely paging system. If it's generating noise on non-issues or things you don't actively identify as problems then it's wasting everyone's time. And that leads into... if you are getting paged and not being compensated to investigate those pages then you are being shafted. Obviously the former exacerbates the latter.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bob Morales posted:

Who said I'm not his manager?

This guy is so incompetent. Watching him use a computer is like watching my grandma use one. Yesterday we had a call with UPS (that he took a month to schedule) so that one of their guys could re-configure this middleware that hits our iSeries and pulls customer info over when you scan an order, the email address wasn't being imported.

So the person on the phone asks him to go to https://www.gotoassist.com and it took him almost 5 minutes to get to the actual site. Typed the name in wrong 50 times, then he typed it into Google, then it took another 3 minutes for him to enter the 9-digit or however long invitation code in...He can barely use a Windows computer. It's scary.

He never emails the rest of the team about stuff, he always comes over to your desk to tell you in person, no matter how simple the thing is. The ongoing joke is that his Outlook broke a couple years ago and he can't bring himself to ask anyone for help on how to set it back up.

That clearly doesn't matter, because he's still been employed there for years, despite whatever incompetence you see. Then again, I don't think I've ever seen you say anything positive about your work or coworkers, so I dunno.

Keylogging/screengrabbing his workstation so you can try to figure out how to do his job is just incredibly passive. Learn to talk to the man. Or fire him and bring in a contractor who can do what he does (he's unlikely to be the only person in the world with his particular skillset) that'll train someone.

This invasive behavior and dystopic work environment just screams problems, whether or not you're his manager, and whether or not it's within your rights as an employer.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I have strong feelings on lots of things here. Docjowles summed up a lot of what I was going to write because it basically boils down to the problems with your lovely paging system. If it's generating noise on non-issues or things you don't actively identify as problems then it's wasting everyone's time. And that leads into... if you are getting paged and not being compensated to investigate those pages then you are being shafted. Obviously the former exacerbates the latter.

Oh, we've got problems with it. It's such a mish-mash of systems and services, I'm surprised it works at all. And the whole thing is entirely reliant on an old, physical, Server 2003 machine sitting down in our server room. We've been saying for a while it needs to all get overhauled and upgraded, but obviously that's a big time and money sink, so it keeps getting pushed back.

I was talking to our resident "old fart" who's no longer on call (I essentially took his spot), and his advice was basically to Hell with what management says, if you get woken up, it counts as "doing something." Since most of the time they aren't scrutinizing the on-call payment form you submit to HR and cross-referencing it to the off-hours paging analysis, it's not like they'll really know.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
Anyone have any experience with reliant technology for hardware support? I assume it's poo poo, but they claim to offer the "same level of support for 40-70% less than what you currently pay." Anyone have any experience with them?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

internet jerk posted:

Patched them yesterday as soon as the fix came out. No way in hell I'm rebuilding a domain our size.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
An interview came in; Junior IT Support :yotj:

During the short telephone interview when asked the expected salary, I threw out £18-22k, they said much lower... like £14-16k (I make this now, still officially contracted as an office bitch) :gonk:

I said I'd go along anyway, so I'm booked in for next week as I've got a load of holidays to use up anyway. Apparently the interview will consist of;
- There will be a brief breakdown of what we do
- A review of your CV
- A small practical test
- Brief Q&A

Someone's expectations are off, and I'm not sure they're mine.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

bitterandtwisted posted:

:words: There was a one bedroom flat with a combined kitchen/living room charging £1300 a month in rent. :stare:

Holy poo poo. I just did the math and that's $2,000 US. I hope there are blowjobs included with that.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Richard Noggin posted:

Holy poo poo. I just did the math and that's $2,000 US. I hope there are blowjobs included with that.

Some areas here that would be pretty standard, if low.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

internet jerk posted:

I'm pretty sick of these emergency patching windows. I am doing a few internet facing windows servers for the SSL vulnerability as well as our DCs tonight. The rest of our servers will get the SSL patch on their normal patch window.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Welp, got an interview on Monday for a "Senior Systems Administrator." The job description is the same as for "Microsoft Systems Administrators" they've been slowly hiring recently, but I'm interviewing with 4 people and 2 of them are heavy hitters.

Jesus that just sunk in I'm being interviewed by 4 people. TIME TO PANIC.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Richard Noggin posted:

That's about average for some parts of NY, SF, and DC. Of course, the salaries largely compensate for it (but not entirely).

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Crossposting from the Boston thread but I'm running quotes for a CCNA/CCNP to work on our switches/routers after hours, best quote I have so far is $180/hr from a union shop but I'm sure other shops or certainly an individual could compete with that. Anyone have recommendations of local shops or know someone?

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

psydude posted:

That's about average for some parts of NY, SF, and DC. Of course, the salaries largely compensate for it (but not entirely).

That's more than my 20 year mortgage on a $230k house (1700 sqft) on 16 acres, and my oven doesn't share wall space with my television. Just sayin'.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Richard Noggin posted:

That's more than my 20 year mortgage on a $230k house (1700 sqft) on 16 acres, and my oven doesn't share wall space with my television. Just sayin'.

What bubble?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Richard Noggin posted:

It's almost like things cost different amounts in different places!

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

BurgerQuest posted:

:yotj:

I now earn more than daf, my life goals are complete.

Very interested to see how my resignation is handled in a few hours.

Lots of good advice from here and some thanks to resumes2interviews for getting my CV halfway there. Thanks goons.

Same.

Well, not about earning more than daf, but in approximately November 2012 I stopped working as a cook and two jobs/two years later my pay has easily tripled. Thanks a bunch goons.

My resignation was not handled particularly gracefully - I asked for a $4/hr raise, they balked, I got a job offer and they counter-offered with a $30k increase. I don't really know how they expected me to take them seriously after that.

New job is neat. I went from Jr Sysadmin (IIS monkey) to "Network Engineer" in a linux environment. It's been an interesting culture shock so far, even simple things like "escape ." keep blowing my loving mind.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I patched all 14 of my DC's tonight because gently caress rebuilding 2 different directories that are already a disaster.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Richard Noggin posted:

Okay, but when I lived in Arlington I could go weeks without driving because everything that I needed (groceries, night life, friends, and a free shuttle to work), was all within walking distance or easily accessible via mass transit. There's more to picking a living space than how much grass you want to mow and how much space you have to fill with furniture.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Reiz posted:

Same.

Well, not about earning more than daf, but in approximately November 2012 I stopped working as a cook and two jobs/two years later my pay has easily tripled. Thanks a bunch goons.

hell yeah :):respek::) my pay tripled within 6 months of leaving the navy :patriot:

edit for clarity

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

mayodreams posted:

I patched all 14 of my DC's tonight because gently caress rebuilding 2 different directories that are already a disaster.

Some fires are best left burning...

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Perhaps a third domain is in order.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My 4 domains are patched but I secretly wish they weren't and they got hacked as it would finally be the kick in the rear end needed to consolidate.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

Jesus that just sunk in I'm being interviewed by 4 people. TIME TO PANIC.

All at once, or in multiple sessions?

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Sacred Cow posted:

God drat it

Recruiter: We've got a great position that is exactly what you're looking for
Me: This IS exactly what I'm looking for! I'd like to avoid any temp to hire, please
Recruiter: Of course. This is not temp to hire. We just pay you at first while we transition you to the primary

*At interview*

Manager: What the hell are they telling you? This is temp to hire.
Me: :geno:

:yotj:

So apparently even after all of ^^^^ this, the company wanted to hire me. After I told the recruiter "absolutely not" to a TTH job he called me back and said they were willing to hire me direct and accepted my salary requirements. Only downside is my commute goes from 12 mins in a car to 1 hour on the metro. Upside is better pay, better title and zero Help Desk crap on top of my normal duties.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

What kind of photos are you guys using for Linked In?
Are you wearing a suit? Is it professionally done?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

stubblyhead posted:

All at once, or in multiple sessions?

All at once.

mewse
May 2, 2006

bobmarleysghost posted:

I'm wearing a bikini on the beach in mexico

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bobmarleysghost posted:

Exposed abs and fedora, hot dog wiener in mouth.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

bobmarleysghost posted:

Jacket w/ button-up shirt. No tie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

All at once.

Yeah that is pretty intimidating, I don't think I've ever had more than two people on the other side of the table.