Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The Good Wife is in no way the successor to The Wire. That's just loving silly. It's a decent to good lawyer procedural with elements of politics added in. It also has a very bad habit of rolling around in gimmicky 'zany' slurry and melodrama bullshit.

It's not comparable to The Wire on any but the most facile level. A much more apt comparison would be to say that it's a successor to Boston Legal that isn't quite so self-indulgently mired in the creator's ego.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

prinneh posted:

I should have been way clearer in my original post, since then I've been trying to compile a list of all the shows I've seen, but it's difficult when you've been binging as long as I have. (Student to unemployed to depressed). I think I already said that I've seen all Graham Linehams stuff, tho.

Anyway! I've seen all these, most of them more than a few times, except I didn't really care for My Hero, though if you like ardal o hanlon he has a small part in a new Irish show called London Irish, which is good, nor did I like Him and Her, because Russell Tovey annoys me. He was fine in The History Boys, but his mere presence simply put me off shows like him and her or his more recent The Job Lot. Right now I'm trying "Free Agents" on for size, because I just like looking at Stephen !Mangans donkey face :) And if you like the other, apparantly "less talented", creator of Father Ted, his show The Walshes is being re-run these days and you should check it out. Flight of the Concords was just so good on the radio that I could never get into the tv show, it somehow didn't come alive for me the same way it did on radio.

If Russell Tovey is the main guy in it then yeah I didn't really like him either, hence why I skipped most of it.
I'm also at the Student->Unemployed/Depressed stage and at the moment I'm binging Parks and Rec, which started great but is getting progressively less funny. :(

I'm afraid I can't really think of any other comedies to recommend, I've been watching a lot of dramas lately.
Miranda is one of my all-time favourites but it's a bit more aimed towards depressed single women.
Give Flight of the Conchords another try, or at least put it at the bottom of your list.

On an unrelated note:
I normally can't stand gratuitous violence and brutality but I'm really loving Utopia, it's pretty good. Just started season two.
I really like that soundtrack.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Laverna posted:

If Russell Tovey is the main guy in it then yeah I didn't really like him either, hence why I skipped most of it.
I'm also at the Student->Unemployed/Depressed stage and at the moment I'm binging Parks and Rec, which started great but is getting progressively less funny. :(

I'm afraid I can't really think of any other comedies to recommend, I've been watching a lot of dramas lately.
Miranda is one of my all-time favourites but it's a bit more aimed towards depressed single women.
Give Flight of the Conchords another try, or at least put it at the bottom of your list.

On an unrelated note:
I normally can't stand gratuitous violence and brutality but I'm really loving Utopia, it's pretty good. Just started season two.

yeah, he's awful :)

I'll put flights at the bottom of list then, but I have my still have my doubts! Did you see mooney boy or family tree? 'cause those are great and so short they never go downhill. I hesitate to advise this, but if you're thinking about binging stephen merchants Hello Ladies, now is the the time to do it, because supposedly there's a special coming up this weekend.

I was following parks and rec from the start and tend not to notice that much when 20 minute a week comedy shows go downhill, but you're right, it has gotten worse. I'll still watch till the end tho.

I'll pick up Utopia and Miranda, thanks for recommending them.

Is anyone here still watching the walking dead? Something happened this season and it's been the best one so far. There were even both a lost and an x-files reference in sundays episode :) Not really a binge topic, but if you have binged some of it or if you're currently binging it just know: it gets better. edit #2: Not that I'm saying it gets better because of references, it's mainly the pace, which has completely changed.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Just went through Peaky Blinders in two days on Netflix. I really liked it and might do thread on it.

I just binged the first season and am looking forward to the second one. is it already on netflicks in the states? because it just finished airing in the uk?

edit: Has anyone binged Olive Ketteridge yet?

prinneh fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 19, 2014

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Season 2 of Peaky Blinders on Netflix. The show is good but can drag out and be a bit boring at times. However, it has enough suspense and surprise to make it payoff. Also, the last episode I watched had a couple songs from the Arctic Monkeys so that was cool.

Also digging Tom Hardy's character in the show. I was trying to think where I knew him from and it was from the movie Lawless where he played a similar character. I think he's going to add a lot to this season.

Scrapez fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 19, 2014

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I've been watching Stargate SG-1 lately. I started watching it a while back but I lost interest about halfway through season 2 when I hit a patch of uninteresting standalone episodes, but I recently picked it back up and it started to click with me almost immediately. I'm almost done with season 3 and I'm enjoying every bit of it. I still have a ton of episodes ahead of me though so I'm hoping that it doesn't turn into poo poo after a few more seasons.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

prinneh posted:

yeah, he's awful :)

I'll put flights at the bottom of list then, but I have my still have my doubts! Did you see mooney boy or family tree? 'cause those are great and so short they never go downhill. I hesitate to advise this, but if you're thinking about binging stephen merchants Hello Ladies, now is the the time to do it, because supposedly there's a special coming up this weekend.

I was following parks and rec from the start and tend not to notice that much when 20 minute a week comedy shows go downhill, but you're right, it has gotten worse. I'll still watch till the end tho.

I'll pick up Utopia and Miranda, thanks for recommending them.

Is anyone here still watching the walking dead? Something happened this season and it's been the best one so far. There were even both a lost and an x-files reference in sundays episode :) Not really a binge topic, but if you have binged some of it or if you're currently binging it just know: it gets better. edit #2: Not that I'm saying it gets better because of references, it's mainly the pace, which has completely changed.

I just binged the first season and am looking forward to the second one. is it already on netflicks in the states? because it just finished airing in the uk?

edit: Has anyone binged Olive Ketteridge yet?

Just gonna note that Utopia is not a comedy, it's pretty grim.

I love Moone Boy! I'll check out those others.
I guess with Parks and Rec I've probably noticed the difference because I'm watching it all at once. I'm at season 4 and it's started becoming less jokes and more "relationship drama", and there are more cases of having that certain type of American humour that is not funny at all and just makes me cringe. More than once in the last season there was a joke that I found pretty tasteless.
(I'm not gonna stop watching it, but it has made me a bit sad. I was really liking it. Arrested Development is still my favourite american comedy to date though.)

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I watched the first season of The Good Wife when it aired and liked it, then quit watching for some reason. A few weeks ago I decided to watch the episode that aired, and this annoying red-haired lawyer (spoilers for new viewers?) was having psychotic hallucinations that informed her actions in court. Do the other characters know she's having this problem? What is her problem, anyway?

Also, it was played off like "wacky hijinks" complete with wacky background music. Is this common in the tone of the show now?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That's what I meant by zany nonsense. They take what is otherwise quite a serious programme and and then periodically go obnoxiously and crassly 'wacky'. It's jarring, self-indulgent, and unjustifiable.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rabbit Hill posted:

I watched the first season of The Good Wife when it aired and liked it, then quit watching for some reason. A few weeks ago I decided to watch the episode that aired, and this annoying red-haired lawyer (spoilers for new viewers?) was having psychotic hallucinations that informed her actions in court. Do the other characters know she's having this problem? What is her problem, anyway?

Also, it was played off like "wacky hijinks" complete with wacky background music. Is this common in the tone of the show now?

This is the only time it has happened IIRC.

I think the show is usually really funny, but that stuff was a mess. I really like Elsbeth Tascioni in other episodes.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rabbit Hill posted:

No, that episode was all over the place. People who know that lawyer are aware she's kinda bat-gently caress crazy but autistically great at her job, so she gets a pass from them. Plus, ordinarily she's a pretty fun character.

This show does have its moments (admittedly VERY few) when they go down this weird campy route - like this most recent episode was showing some political adverts that were Ed Wood levels of lovely bad, and playing it seriously, or some of the TV shows that air in that universe. But then it has its great camp moments, like with that silence of the lambs crazy millionaire CEO Alicia defends every now and then.

klf11
Aug 17, 2014

Jingleheimer posted:

I've been watching Stargate SG-1 lately. I started watching it a while back but I lost interest about halfway through season 2 when I hit a patch of uninteresting standalone episodes, but I recently picked it back up and it started to click with me almost immediately. I'm almost done with season 3 and I'm enjoying every bit of it. I still have a ton of episodes ahead of me though so I'm hoping that it doesn't turn into poo poo after a few more seasons.

the last season kinda goes downhill some, but overall, its all good still :)

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
The people recommending the 100 are loving wrong. That show is so cringeworthy because of the shear stupidity and unlikableness of all of the characters.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I just started watching How I Met Your Mother. I've avoided the show for the longest time because it just didn't sound very interesting. Maybe I'm just desperate for another show to binge through, but so far I'm liking it a lot. I'm about 10 episodes into season 2. With so many seasons I'm expecting it to drop in quality once these current plotlines wrap up, but I'm hoping not too much.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Murphy Brownback posted:

I just started watching How I Met Your Mother. I've avoided the show for the longest time because it just didn't sound very interesting. Maybe I'm just desperate for another show to binge through, but so far I'm liking it a lot. I'm about 10 episodes into season 2. With so many seasons I'm expecting it to drop in quality once these current plotlines wrap up, but I'm hoping not too much.

Please report back after you finish the series.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

Murphy Brownback posted:

Just stop after season four. Then watch the last season with the alternative ending.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Started Six Feet Under last night-currently starting the fifth episode.

It's pretty decent and has its funny moments, but...

The mom is a trainwreck (understandable since her husband just died) but I'm waiting for her to find her stride.

My wife and I thought Brenda looks like a dude and that was going to be the catch of the first episode-that the brother almost had sex with a tranny-so much for that.

I really like the guy that plays the dad-too bad it seems like he's gone now.

The gay relationship-well I really hope it gets resolved soon and the dude just comes out of the closet.

I like Federico. Dudes a spaz but he's loving funny.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ruth is loving awesome. Definitely report back once you're finished.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

SFU is loving great and yeah Ruth frustrated me at first too but becomes a great character. I'd go so far as to say SFU has the best written, most believable, flawed-yet-sympathetic characters of any show I've seen. By the end I felt like I knew them all really well personally, like part of the family. I've never felt like that about the characters in any other series no matter how good.

Oh and don't worry, there's plenty more Nathan Senior.

E: Funny thing, a couple of weeks ago I moved into a room previously occupied by one Claire Fisher.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 23, 2014

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I thought Friday Night Lights did a better job with its flawed but relatable characters than Six Feet Under. I want to spend more time with those characters, but I'm kind of glad Six Feet Under ended when it did.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

I definitely agree that Six Feet Under has some realistic characters. They all are just so human. I just got frustrated by how much focus there was on Nathan - he was by far the most boring character on there.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hated the 2 season of Six Feet Under that i watched. Pretentious drivel.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like how all they did for the young Federico flashback was to give him a skateboard.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I am about 10 episodes in to season 4 of how i met your mother (yeah I watched 4 seasons of it in less than 72 hours, want to fight about it?) and it's starting to get on my nerves. Every story is like "this guy/girl is completely selfish and terrible, you should not relate to this person" but then at the last minute "but wait, I wasn't telling the real story, they are the best for real". It doesn't help that Lilly and Marshall are playing out the stereotypes they have played in their previous movies (I love you man/american pie). I have a feeling this show is going to make me mad if I finish it in the next couple days, which I probably am going to.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Murphy Brownback posted:

I am about 10 episodes in to season 4 of how i met your mother (yeah I watched 4 seasons of it in less than 72 hours, want to fight about it?) and it's starting to get on my nerves. Every story is like "this guy/girl is completely selfish and terrible, you should not relate to this person" but then at the last minute "but wait, I wasn't telling the real story, they are the best for real". It doesn't help that Lilly and Marshall are playing out the stereotypes they have played in their previous movies (I love you man/american pie). I have a feeling this show is going to make me mad if I finish it in the next couple days, which I probably am going to.

Hhahahahaha oh man, you have no idea.

The last season is pretty decent and has a pretty cool gimmick- but the last episode is one giant fuuuuuuuuck you to the viewer.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

CaptainHollywood posted:

Hhahahahaha oh man, you have no idea.

The last season is pretty decent and has a pretty cool gimmick- but the last episode is one giant fuuuuuuuuck you to the viewer.

Can you spoil this for me, someone who has no interest in the show, but would love to know why it ended so terribly?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Can you spoil this for me, someone who has no interest in the show, but would love to know why it ended so terribly?

The show ended with The mother dying and then the kids telling him to go bang Robin. Earlier seasons also set Robin and Barney as a couple, but they also divorce during the finale.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
I hope nwin reports regularly on his trek through Six Feet Under. What a show that was.

And I REALLY can't wait for Murphy Brownback to continue through How I Met Your Mother. It ended in its, what, 8th season? I felt the 7th and 8th never should have happened. They could have cut some stories in the 6th and ended it then, or at worst, introduced the mother end of season 6 and had season 7 show how they courted, fell in love, got married, then ended the show*

don't read this if you care *without that BULLSHIT about getting together with Robin in the end. I'm so loving pissed I bothered with the last 2 seasons. I was telling my girlfriend at the time that I was getting REALLY sick of season 7 and she thought I was being overly critical. Sorry, sweetie... it's called having taste and holding poo poo I watch to a level of quality. Especially when the first 5-6 seasons were funny. That said, I got tired of the Lilly/Marshall caricatures way earlier. They were just too one dimensional. Especially Lilly. Whoever wrote for her was a moron.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Shadow posted:

I hope nwin reports regularly on his trek through Six Feet Under. What a show that was.

And I REALLY can't wait for Murphy Brownback to continue through How I Met Your Mother. It ended in its, what, 8th season? I felt the 7th and 8th never should have happened. They could have cut some stories in the 6th and ended it then, or at worst, introduced the mother end of season 6 and had season 7 show how they courted, fell in love, got married, then ended the show*

I'm up to season 5 now. I'm still enjoying it more or less - it kind of feels like how I felt about Scrubs with the over the top sappy-ness, but taking place in a bar instead of a hospital. I have some family members who were always describing it as "the best sitcom of all time", and I definitely can't agree with that. It sounds like I'll be disagreeing with them even more when I make it to the end (I didn't read your spoiler but everyone seems to be implying it's a terrible ending). Also every time they show the kids sitting there listening I can't help but think I would have told my dad to shut up and get to the point already a long time ago.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

To be fair on How I Met Your Mother and your relatives if it had continued with the quality of the first two seasons it would've been a serious contender for that crown.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
So whoever told me to carry on with Farscape: thanks. Really enjoying it, and even though I don't watch it with 100% attention (I'm often doing hobby stuff while I'm watching the show) it's easy enough to keep up with. Just finished the cartoon episode, which I completely don't understand because of the timing of the episode (is it another alternate reality or in Crichton's head, or what?). If anyone cares to explain it, it happens just after the escape from the Scarans at the start of season 3 and before Aeryn trying to contact dead Crichton.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

krushgroove posted:

So whoever told me to carry on with Farscape: thanks. Really enjoying it, and even though I don't watch it with 100% attention (I'm often doing hobby stuff while I'm watching the show) it's easy enough to keep up with. Just finished the cartoon episode, which I completely don't understand because of the timing of the episode (is it another alternate reality or in Crichton's head, or what?). If anyone cares to explain it, it happens just after the escape from the Scarans at the start of season 3 and before Aeryn trying to contact dead Crichton.

I didn't really like that episode at all either. I think the explanation is what you spoilered, but I might be misremembering - it's been a while since I've seen it and I always skip it on rewatches.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
I was bedridden with the flu this past week and I watched the entirety of Fishing with John. Frankly, I'm not sure what I spent 3 hours doing, the whole thing left me very confused. The episode with Jim Jarmusch was loving hilarious, though.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Watched all of House of Saddam last night. For anyone with even a passing interest in the Middle East, this is a must see. The actor they cast as Saddam was loving terrifying.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
What's the show about? I mean... beyond the obvious. A biopic on the man and his family?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
It's technically called a "docudrama" or a dramatization of real events. It covers Saddam's rise to power beginning in the late 70's all the way to his capture after OIF. It goes into great detail about Iraq's internal politics and how Saddam consolidated and then maintained his power base. It also delves into his family life, touching on his sons and Saddam's effort to groom them for leadership. Going in I felt like I knew a lot about the history of modern Iraq but I was blown away by seeing the events depicted on screen. The acting and direction are both superb. The quiet menace Yigal Naor (plays Saddam) radiates is eerie. He walks in a room and you can just sense the dread of everyone around him, knowing they and their family could all wind up in an unmarked grave by saying the wrong thing or giving the wrong impression.

It's the single best depiction of a fascist head of state I've ever seen on screen.

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 25, 2014

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Shadow posted:

Just got done with the first season last night and watched S2E1 last night.

It's an alright show, but it's not completely grabbing me yet.

Spoilers below for Season 1 for anyone who is thinking about watching the series:

I guess I forgot this was from Alan Ball, but Dave's gay story helped remind me. It makes sense, especially since in 1995 ( I think that's when I saw the series started? maybe 2000, regardless...) being gay/coming out wasn't nearly as accepted as it is now. One of the funniest parts in the entire show so far was when he came out to Nate.

I just really hope it's not an ongoing issue for the rest of the series as it got pretty tired, even in just one season.

Ruth ended up being pretty hilarious. She is still spastic as all gently caress, but her moments in the show where she's reading the book on being gay and her admitting to being in a sexual relationship with Nikolai is pretty funny.

I hope Nate and Brenda just loving break up, but I have a feeling that won't happen. Her brother's side story was pretty stupid and he got annoying very quickly.

Claire's story started out pretty interesting, though to have her boyfriend rob a loving store at gunpoint and be shown on the security cameras with ZERO loving recourse is pretty ridiculous. I was surprised to see season 1 wrap out so neatly, actually. It seems like (with the exception of Claire's boyfriend) they could have wrapped up the show if it had been cancelled and it wouldn't be a big deal.

Season 2's opening death was pretty lame-actress OD's on coke and is found to be really loving shallow along with her friends? SHOCKING.

I'm also glad that Rico is back with Fisher and Sons, though it seems like he will continue to bitch about not being a partner.

I'm gonna keep plowing through it-I'm hoping it ends up grabbing me a bit more than it currently is.

People tripping on ecstasy will never NOT be funny.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

krushgroove posted:

John is knocked into a coma and nearly dies by D'Argo, and Harvey tries to save his life by giving him a reason to live - the same reason Scorpius has to live, revenge. John's brain imagines it as a cartoon. It's pretty silly and not a very successful gimmick, but the main point of the episode was a morality play of sorts: To show how powerful Scorpius's need for revenge is, and to show that John isn't the kind of person to play that game.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Unzip and Attack posted:

*house of saddam description*

It's the single best depiction of a fascist head of state I've ever seen on screen.
You're selling this very well, I might pick this up soon. Thanks, I've never heard about this!

Laverna posted:

On an unrelated note:

I took you up on your related note and Utopia seems worth the time, just starting season 2 now :) It's weird how brits sometimes juuuust have to infuse violent dramatic scenes with a bit of humour and bright colours. In Utopia's case, I think the show would be better without it as right now it's a little too fluorescent, but it's still a fun and enjoyable show it's just sometimes the balance seems a little off. This is another show I'd never have found if not for this thread, so cheers Laverna :)

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Unzip and Attack posted:

It's technically called a "docudrama" or a dramatization of real events. It covers Saddam's rise to power beginning in the late 70's all the way to his capture after OIF. It goes into great detail about Iraq's internal politics and how Saddam consolidated and then maintained his power base. It also delves into his family life, touching on his sons and Saddam's effort to groom them for leadership. Going in I felt like I knew a lot about the history of modern Iraq but I was blown away by seeing the events depicted on screen. The acting and direction are both superb. The quiet menace Yigal Naor (plays Saddam) radiates is eerie. He walks in a room and you can just sense the dread of everyone around him, knowing they and their family could all wind up in an unmarked grave by saying the wrong thing or giving the wrong impression.

drat. I think I'll need to watch this. Is it on Netflix or equivalent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

nwin posted:

Just got done with the first season last night and watched S2E1 last night.

It's an alright show, but it's not completely grabbing me yet.

Spoilers below for Season 1 for anyone who is thinking about watching the series:

I guess I forgot this was from Alan Ball, but Dave's gay story helped remind me. It makes sense, especially since in 1995 ( I think that's when I saw the series started? maybe 2000, regardless...) being gay/coming out wasn't nearly as accepted as it is now. One of the funniest parts in the entire show so far was when he came out to Nate.

I just really hope it's not an ongoing issue for the rest of the series as it got pretty tired, even in just one season.

Ruth ended up being pretty hilarious. She is still spastic as all gently caress, but her moments in the show where she's reading the book on being gay and her admitting to being in a sexual relationship with Nikolai is pretty funny.

I hope Nate and Brenda just loving break up, but I have a feeling that won't happen. Her brother's side story was pretty stupid and he got annoying very quickly.

Claire's story started out pretty interesting, though to have her boyfriend rob a loving store at gunpoint and be shown on the security cameras with ZERO loving recourse is pretty ridiculous. I was surprised to see season 1 wrap out so neatly, actually. It seems like (with the exception of Claire's boyfriend) they could have wrapped up the show if it had been cancelled and it wouldn't be a big deal.

Season 2's opening death was pretty lame-actress OD's on coke and is found to be really loving shallow along with her friends? SHOCKING.

I'm also glad that Rico is back with Fisher and Sons, though it seems like he will continue to bitch about not being a partner.

I'm gonna keep plowing through it-I'm hoping it ends up grabbing me a bit more than it currently is.

People tripping on ecstasy will never NOT be funny.

Haha... you're so in for a ride.

Let me put it this way, the best way I describe this show to sell it to people is as follows:

If you rate the show and exclude the finale (really, the last 15~ minutes of the finale), I'd give it a solid 8. Yes, the brother is annoying and their whole family's pretentious manner of talking (about sex especially) gets on your nerves, but I think that's a good thing. They aren't supposed to be down to earth. If they were Brenda and what's his face wouldn't have been so messed up. They were messed up because they were psychoanalyzed and treated like adults since age 0.

Now, if you include the last 15 minutes of the finale, the ENTIRE SHOW'S rating shoots up to like a 9.5+. The ending is VERY good. Of all the poo poo endings we've seen on HBO and other Network TV shows, SFU isn't one of them. By any stretch.

Enjoy the rest of your journey. :)