Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I read caught up with Dice yesterday. It's pretty interesting. I'm really hoping that there doesn't end up being some overarching "Eunju was right and they shouldn't have used Dice to change themselves" message, since I kind of agree with the characters who call her out on already being pretty/talented (even though she probably has some sort of tragic backstory with the scar, she's unquestionably benefited otherwise). I mean, we've even seen the main character's life objectively improve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
We never post about God of High School in here but it is consistently amazing.

For content:

The first three chapters of 4 God Ranger was released the other day and it looks pretty cool

dat tiger

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
That site's behind the times. There're actually seven chapters out.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

How much of Korean stuff is manhwa vs webcomics? Are Japanese-style magazines popular in Korea or is it mostly online?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

I read caught up with Dice yesterday. It's pretty interesting. I'm really hoping that there doesn't end up being some overarching "Eunju was right and they shouldn't have used Dice to change themselves" message, since I kind of agree with the characters who call her out on already being pretty/talented (even though she probably has some sort of tragic backstory with the scar, she's unquestionably benefited otherwise). I mean, we've even seen the main character's life objectively improve.

I just caught up today and I think the dice by themselves would be fine but X/quests/human nature turn the dice into a downward spiral of horribleness/destruction. Is the school/local society better off with the discovery of the dice? Not that it was great before by any means (bullying is terrible) but the number of deaths, serious injuries, attacks, fights, etc have all dramatically increased. None of the dicers are really able to friends with another dicer.

I kind of figure that X has set it up this way on purpose because Dongtae (for instance) is a nice person and probably would have lost his desire to keep chasing dice if not for the advent of "bad" dicers who he has to oppose. Now his desire will be to be strong enough to protect his love interest/friends/school/whatever so X can continue to pit him against other dicers ultimately leading to whatever X's goal is.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lyon posted:

I just caught up today and I think the dice by themselves would be fine but X/quests/human nature turn the dice into a downward spiral of horribleness/destruction. Is the school/local society better off with the discovery of the dice? Not that it was great before by any means (bullying is terrible) but the number of deaths, serious injuries, attacks, fights, etc have all dramatically increased. None of the dicers are really able to friends with another dicer.

I kind of figure that X has set it up this way on purpose because Dongtae (for instance) is a nice person and probably would have lost his desire to keep chasing dice if not for the advent of "bad" dicers who he has to oppose. Now his desire will be to be strong enough to protect his love interest/friends/school/whatever so X can continue to pit him against other dicers ultimately leading to whatever X's goal is.

Oh, the dice are definitely having a negative impact on the school/community as a whole and X certainly doesn't have good intentions. I would just disagree with a message that using the dice is inherently wrong and that Dongtae was wrong to use them.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

Oh, the dice are definitely having a negative impact on the school/community as a whole and X certainly doesn't have good intentions. I would just disagree with a message that using the dice is inherently wrong and that Dongtae was wrong to use them.

Yeah I would agree with you, ultimately though it might end up that everyone would have been better off as a whole if the dice had never been introduced. Dice is basically The Gamer but with a sadistic GM/world and where the ability can be spread.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

yo i dont care about all that plot business, all i know is that those musical updates are hella hype man

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So I just powered through Can't See, Can't Hear, But Love over the last couple hours. I think I took in too much at one time, I feel kind of numb right now.

I thought this was finished.

Oh god why can't this be finished.

I... I think I'm gonna lay down. :qq:

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011
Been reading Family Man about a guy who can't catch a break after he lost his job after an accident that scarred his face. He's too ashamed to come home to his wife and kids until he has something else lined up but he runs into all kinds of very Korean style drama that keeps him from going home. :smith:

Pretty good so far with 33 chapters out. Also updates pretty often every Monday and Tuesday.

Ra-amun fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 17, 2014

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I too have been drawn to the powers of Family Man. Normal people acting like superheroes always interest me, so it's an easy draw. It's really cool, too! I like how the dad slowly fills in the mythos of the superhero, I thought. Pretty good how the dad sort of build a business, I thought. I know eventually he'll have to reveal his lies to his wife, but she'll understand, him saving the kids all the times would soften the revelation. This'll be a good heartwarming story about a man rebuilding his life from a lowly constructor worker to a superhero to his family. What a nice reading to spend a weekend!

My heart splits. Then it breaks, shatters and crumbles to a fine dust, blown away by the storm of my tears.

With that one with a blind husband and deaf wife, that one where the dude lives with a gay roommate, that one with an older girl who's really short, and this, I think I'm done with drama manhwa. I'm gonna stick with comedy and slice of life instead! Like Penguin Loves Mev, which definitely won't dry my soul.

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 18, 2014

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
It turns out Family Man is by the same author who did Nowhere Boy. I remember seeing some references to it in Nowhere Boy, but man am I enjoying Family Man a lot more. It hits the right notes more often with a good mix of sentimentality and drama. Even though it involves a lot of heartbreak, I just can't resist stories involving parents struggling to support their kids... now where are my updates of The Children's Teacher Mr. Kwon? :smith:

Other webtoons I found myself reading were Midnight Rhapsody and I don't want this kind of hero. They're both on the lighthearted side, although Midnight Rhapsody involves short individual comics instead of an actual story.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I thought it was a good idea to catch up with Girls of the Wilds until I tried reading some of the official translations :colbert:

Is it too much to ask for a semi-professional English translation for a official release? It's not minor grammatical errors but 50% of the sentences don't make sense.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
As a dude working in a Korean translation company the thought of lovely Korean webtoon translations makes me hella sad.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Has anyone heard of any news on Dr. Frost? Last I heard the most recent scanlation said it was slated to actually get a live action drama and then the scanlations stop at that point.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

pandaK posted:

Has anyone heard of any news on Dr. Frost? Last I heard the most recent scanlation said it was slated to actually get a live action drama and then the scanlations stop at that point.

I hope that's true, Dr. Frost is a series with some pretty significant social value in a culture that generally shuns people with mental illness.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Its creator is in the third season of Korean gameshow The Genius so it probably had a big spike in popularity leading to the live action drama.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I hope that's true, Dr. Frost is a series with some pretty significant social value in a culture that generally shuns people with mental illness.

I tried reading Dr. Frost and while I commend it for focusing on mental illness um, it's kinda close to reality as CSI is to actual police work. In other words, it's a challenge to read series when you have a higher than average understanding of the concept it's based on which ruins (my) fun.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How does the webtoons site make any money? I've not seen any ads or anything

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Jose posted:

How does the webtoons site make any money? I've not seen any ads or anything

I think it might just be publicity for webtoon artists. Although, I didn't spend much time there as the translations were mildly disappointing enough.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Alder posted:

I tried reading Dr. Frost and while I commend it for focusing on mental illness um, it's kinda close to reality as CSI is to actual police work. In other words, it's a challenge to read series when you have a higher than average understanding of the concept it's based on which ruins (my) fun.

That sounds like 90% of all fiction out there regardless of media. I don't think there is any occupation that doesn't facepalm when their bread and butter is talked about "in depth" in a story. It usually lacks one way or the other.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Mindblast posted:

That sounds like 90% of all fiction out there regardless of media. I don't think there is any occupation that doesn't facepalm when their bread and butter is talked about "in depth" in a story. It usually lacks one way or the other.

Uh, I thought some of the manga series based off what it's like to be mangaka working in the industry is fairly realistic (?).

It also ruined my dreams

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is anyone translating Kubera or Magician anymore or did they drop it for the massively behind webtoons? It'll be like 4 years before either is caught up

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Jose posted:

Is anyone translating Kubera or Magician anymore or did they drop it for the massively behind webtoons? It'll be like 4 years before either is caught up

Kubera is being translated via the OddSquad overlay/bookmarklet thing, see
http://kubera-tn.weebly.com/english-chapters-s2.html
(More chapters than listed there)

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
e: ^ :argh:

Kubera is now translated via overlays. You need to install a plugin http://www.oddsquad.org/p/naver-addon.html or use bookmarks http://www.oddsquad.org/2010/01/irc.html and then read it on naver. The new chapters start here: http://comic.naver.com/webtoon/detail.nhn?titleId=131385&no=204&weekday=tue Translations are usually 1 week behind and come out whenever they are done.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Are chapters of Magician coming out? I thought it was on a break until sometime this November after the last arc.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Reiche posted:

Are chapters of Magician coming out? I thought it was on a break until sometime this November after the last arc.

You're right, we're currently caught up to the latest.

Raws are here: http://comic.naver.com/webtoon/list.nhn?titleId=24965&no=1&weekday=thu

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
For anyone who's interested, the last few chapters of Can't See, Can't Hear But Love were finally translated.

I've only read one of the new releases so far and stopped there; it's been awhile since I last read it, so I don't remember much of what happened. I'm planning on rereading all of the chapters consecutively once I have the time. :smithicide:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Nondevor posted:

For anyone who's interested, the last few chapters of Can't See, Can't Hear But Love were finally translated.

I've only read one of the new releases so far and stopped there; it's been awhile since I last read it, so I don't remember much of what happened. I'm planning on rereading all of the chapters consecutively once I have the time. :smithicide:

Goddamit

God. loving. dammit.

:qq: :smithicide:

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Oh my goodness.

What is this wetness coming from my eyes? No, I'm not crying, it's just something got into my eyes! That's right, this webcomic got into my eyes!

Edit: Also, read this alongside with the original, because they have a BGM for the strip. It's so good.

jwang fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 14, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

jwang posted:

Edit: Also, read this alongside with the original, because they have a BGM for the strip. It's so good.

Link?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Nondevor posted:

Oh thank loving god, finally some closure. :gbsmith:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Alder posted:

Oh, absolutely. I mean that it's valuable in the sense that it presents the topic of therapy/mental illness in a positive light. "Therapy can help you if you suffer from depression/mental illness" is at least true and useful for people to know, while "police are almost always right and catch the bad guys" doesn't exactly have as much social value.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Nondevor posted:

I think the final chapter / epilogue was kind of a cop-out to be quite honest, given the next-to-last chapter. Still, that was a real emotional roller-coaster there!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

DrSunshine posted:

I think the final chapter / epilogue was kind of a cop-out to be quite honest, given the next-to-last chapter. Still, that was a real emotional roller-coaster there!

What was that ending?

:livintrope:

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

http://blog.daum.net/who9513/3

Here ya go.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Thank you so much, that was beautiful. :unsmith:

Still, that final chapter was a serious letdown.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
What happened to D.I.C.E.?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Translators are busy I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Not sure who is still following Noblesse, but Chapter 349 is out.
In which Regis prepares himself to gently caress poo poo up :getin: