Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Microsoft finally did a good thing: they've updated RDCman with proper 8.1/R2 support.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44989

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

incoherent posted:

Microsoft finally did a good thing: they've updated RDCman with proper 8.1/R2 support.

Wait.. they even remember they produced this software?

Nice catch, time to update the app package in our SCCM!

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
If RDCman is what I think it is, you should really consider Terminals instead (http://terminals.codeplex.com). It supports a shitton of different protocols, is open-source, and just seems to "work".

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

nexxai posted:

If RDCman is what I think it is, you should really consider Terminals instead (http://terminals.codeplex.com). It supports a shitton of different protocols, is open-source, and just seems to "work".

I will admit I haven't looked at Terminals in a while, but I don't think I'm alone in being a past Terminals user who jumped ship to RDCMan because at some point Terminals became a godawful crashy mess.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Maneki Neko posted:

I will admit I haven't looked at Terminals in a while, but I don't think I'm alone in being a past Terminals user who jumped ship to RDCMan because at some point Terminals became a godawful crashy mess.
Obviously this is anecdotal only, but I haven't experienced a Terminals crash possibly ever, although I've only been using it since last year maybe so perhaps they fixed the issues that were causing the crashes?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

There's a few apps like that out there.

mRemoteNG is pretty cool, and I loved ASG Remote-Desktop back when they still had a free version (vRD).

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
mRemoteNG is great. Terminals is a paint in the nuts when it resizes the window or has to paint a session within a RDP session already (so if I connect to my RDP server at a client and then try to use Terminals)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Maneki Neko posted:

Anyone noticing any weird behavior on the client side after patching their DCs with the OMG CHINESE HACKERZ patch from yesterday?

Our users who actually listened to the notice and logged out had to manually reauth today with both on-prem Exchange & Lync, but anyone who was lazy just kept on truckin.

edit that may be something else

Our Cisco enterprise software package puked on auth to a specific MSSQL 2008 R2 db, but was able to connect to all the other db's on the same machine worked fine. DBAs swore up and down it wasn't them since MS sql studio could login no problem. We were able to track it down to this patch and like you said, auth issues.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 20, 2014

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

We're using RemoteDesktopManager, which is pretty decent, and the server edition ties in nicely with AD.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I need to know if these crazy idea's of mine are remotely doable using Server 2012r2, Windows Fax Server and some basic .NET programming.

1. Can I have Windows Fax Server receive a fax turn it into a PDF and name the file based off the senders phone number or a phonebook? I would love it if I could automatically save a backup of my company's faxes by customer. Something like CustomerA-1.pdf or 18001234567-2.pdf or maybe CustomerB-TIMESTAMP.pdf. I tried having my Bizhubs save backups of faxes but it completely useless since files names are just integer that increments.

2. Can I have Windows Fax Server receive a fax turn it into a PDF and forward it to different email address depending on the sender? e.g. all the faxes from customers go to customer service and all the fax from vendors to our accounting.

I dream of the day I can rip out all of the fax lines in our office.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jeoh posted:

We're using RemoteDesktopManager, which is pretty decent, and the server edition ties in nicely with AD.

There's a server version of RDM? What is the difference?

Whatever version I downloaded in February '14 has a tendency to crash about once a week if you RDP in to the machine it's running on using a different-than-native resolution (1080p -> 1366x768) and then login to the desktop again. I'm usually logged in to about 15 RDP devices.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Calidus posted:

I need to know if these crazy idea's of mine are remotely doable using Server 2012r2, Windows Fax Server and some basic .NET programming.

1. Can I have Windows Fax Server receive a fax turn it into a PDF and name the file based off the senders phone number or a phonebook? I would love it if I could automatically save a backup of my company's faxes by customer. Something like CustomerA-1.pdf or 18001234567-2.pdf or maybe CustomerB-TIMESTAMP.pdf. I tried having my Bizhubs save backups of faxes but it completely useless since files names are just integer that increments.

2. Can I have Windows Fax Server receive a fax turn it into a PDF and forward it to different email address depending on the sender? e.g. all the faxes from customers go to customer service and all the fax from vendors to our accounting.

I dunno about "basic .NET programming", but there's an API to hook into. What you're basically suggesting writing is a fax server, so you could also just buy Rightfax or something.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms692855(v=vs.85).aspx

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Does Windows Fax Server look at caller id or does it look at the number the fax machine sends? I've found most people never configure that so the logs on my mfp are useless.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

lol internet. posted:

No MDOP so I probably will just enable it manually after OS builds. In regards to the last question, I don't have a full understanding how TPM works but I was just wondering if the user has access to the BIOS (No password,) do they have access to the encryption keys or anything in any sort of way.

Nope, access to the BIOS doesn't give them access to the keys. However they can turn off TPM. The effects of that may vary depending on wether Bitlocker has already encrypted or not.

I suggest setting a standard key for everyone, with a very strong passphrase, because if you're going to put a different one in each laptop it's gonna be a pain maintaining that.

You should try it with some laptops first and see if it behaves the way you want it to.

Do not forget to use bdehdcfg.exe to prepare the disk during the deployment process. If you do it after installing the image it might not look like how you want it to (the partition stays on the right of the OS partition).

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Calidus posted:

Buy a dedicated fax server or look into a cloud faxing solution. Fax lines are retarded and I try to keep that poo poo off any servers in production if I can help it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I wouldn't spend any time on Windows Fax Server at all, it's barely been touched in years, and it was at best an afterthought.

If you really want to do this in-house then look at Hylafax, but the correct answer is to port your fax numbers to someone else and have them handle the routing, and just send you emails.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

orange sky posted:

Do not forget to use bdehdcfg.exe to prepare the disk during the deployment process.

Did you just smash your fist on the keyboard and add .exe?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Whoever made the tool did http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff829850.aspx

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

wow.. as horible as that file name is...

Bitlocker Drive Encryption HardDrive ConFiGuration.exe

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Yep I know it by heart because it (kind of) makes sense.

Does anyone here know how to setup a DirectAccess lab using NAT (No public IP)? My head is hurting just thinking about how I'm going to set up this poo poo and test it properly.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

orange sky posted:

Yep I know it by heart because it (kind of) makes sense.

Does anyone here know how to setup a DirectAccess lab using NAT (No public IP)? My head is hurting just thinking about how I'm going to set up this poo poo and test it properly.

You can do it no problem, just tell it that it's behind a NAT and it's OK with it. You'll still want to do a dual nic setup to get the full effect. I've seens pretty good blog entry on doing just this. I'll have to see if i can dig it up. Also do it on 2012R2 and plan to stick a hardware load balancer in front of a couple servers. This will make your life much better since it's not a windows server connected to both the internet and your internal network.

This is probably the best article on building a lab for DA: http://blogs.technet.com/b/meamcs/archive/2012/05/14/windows-server-2012-direct-access-part-2-how-to-build-a-test-lab.aspx it's not amazing but should give you enough to get it started.

Zaepho fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 20, 2014

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Zaepho posted:

You can do it no problem, just tell it that it's behind a NAT and it's OK with it. You'll still want to do a dual nic setup to get the full effect. I've seens pretty good blog entry on doing just this. I'll have to see if i can dig it up. Also do it on 2012R2 and plan to stick a hardware load balancer in front of a couple servers. This will make your life much better since it's not a windows server connected to both the internet and your internal network.

I'd love to take a look at that blog entry, thanks. This will go into production with NAT though, so why would I use a dual nic setup, load balancing? What concerns me the most is setting up the NAT, since I'm using a lovely 3G pen. I should probably try this at home with my decent router and NAT port 443 to the internal switch IP used on the VM right?

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

orange sky posted:

I'd love to take a look at that blog entry, thanks. This will go into production with NAT though, so why would I use a dual nic setup, load balancing? What concerns me the most is setting up the NAT, since I'm using a lovely 3G pen. I should probably try this at home with my decent router and NAT port 443 to the internal switch IP used on the VM right?

If you can do the NAT bit in your lab, definitely do it. the dual NIC setup would be for if you can't make the NAT parts work for you lab. We run DA in a single NIC setup behind NAT in our environment and it works great.

Aside from that do at least a 2 node cluster for the DA servers and a super clustered Network Location Server setup (NLS is just any SSL Website accessible internally but not externally or over DA). Putting the DA boxes behind a hardware load balancer with "sticky" sessions is the way to go from the outside. Just don't try to terminate the SSL session on the load balancer.

DA is awesome but it's certainly different from traditional VPN solutions (in a good way I would suggest). If you can manage to get IPv6 running internal to your network, it's even more awesome.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

lol internet. posted:

Has anyone successfully setup SCCM with Bitlocker on a task sequence? From my understanding so far, you need to add a script which configures the BIOS? correct? Just wondering if this hassle is worth it for 40 users. Also, I assume there won't be an issue with TPM if I don't set a bios password correct?

As mentioned before TPM has to be activated and a BIOS password must be set to activate and take ownership of the TPM chip. Once you've got those prerequisites out of the way you can use a task sequence to turn on Bitlocker. If you are using Dell's they have a tool out called CCTK I believe that can help you create a script that will do this for multiple computers.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Ok trying to setup Windows Fax Server is pretty terrible, I can't figure out of if I have setup wrong or if usb fax modem I have is trash. The routing seems to work but the fax never actually sends, I get it to ring my cell but when I try and send a tax between our two fax lines it fails.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Calidus posted:

Ok trying to setup Windows Fax Server is pretty terrible, I can't figure out of if I have setup wrong or if usb fax modem I have is trash. The routing seems to work but the fax never actually sends, I get it to ring my cell but when I try and send a tax between our two fax lines it fails.

Stop wasting your time and get one of these http://www.multitech.com/brands/faxfinder

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Personally, I'd just cut the fax lines and make people use scanners and email instead.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

That is a great device.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Personally, I'd just cut the fax lines and make people use scanners and email instead.

That works for every industry but law and medical.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I work in manufacturing and 80% of our orders come in via a fax machine. We're working on making it fax to email instead.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I've got some clients whose own client base is 75% old(er) people who still use fax, it is terrible.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I hope this is the thread where I can ask dumb server related questions. I've got a machine setup as a lab machine that I'm hoping to learning WDS on. Its a Server 2012 machine and so far I've setup AD, dhcp, and dns as they're all needed for WDS. Two really stupid issues I can't seem to figure out.

First one. I can't get my domain admin account to remote desktop into the server. I have a domain user account that can do it. I've checked both domain user memberships and they are the same except for my admin being a member of Domain Admins. I then went to computer properties, remote settings and confirmed that both my domain admin and domain user name are listed under the users for the "Allow remote connections to this computer" radio button. My user can RDP but not my domain admin. Halp.

Edit: In further searching, I've think its a setting I have to enable in gpedit, the Allow log on through Remote Desktop Services. I've got my domain user added, but not my domain admin. However, I can't get seem to edit this setting anymore. I've launched gpedit from an elevated command prompt. I'm wondering if I have to elevate using my local admin instead of domain admin since I'm changing local group policy. Anyone know?

Coredump fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 20, 2014

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Make sure you're logging on using DOMAINNAME\Administrator, or else it will try to log on locally.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Gyshall posted:

Make sure you're logging on using DOMAINNAME\Administrator, or else it will try to log on locally.

Just double checked and made sure I did the domainname\admin. Same result. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I think I need to edit this setting but seem unable to even after starting it with my domain admin:

Coredump fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 20, 2014

mewse
May 2, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I think our DC admin just looked at the KB article and his list of DCs then went to lunch.

Did he come back? :ohdear:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

*bends down on one knee to mewse eye level*

He never had to worry about domain controllers ever again

*holds tear in*

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Coredump posted:

Just double checked and made sure I did the domainname\admin. Same result. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I think I need to edit this setting but seem unable to even after starting it with my domain admin:

You shouldn't have to dick around with this or any policy unless you've got something fucky going on in your AD.

I just tested a fresh 2012 R2 forest/domain and was able to log in via RDP via the domain admin account.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Gyshall posted:

You shouldn't have to dick around with this or any policy unless you've got something fucky going on in your AD.

I just tested a fresh 2012 R2 forest/domain and was able to log in via RDP via the domain admin account.

gently caress. Okay I'll go back to work and start peeling away till I can figure stuff out.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

incoherent posted:

Just curious, is there any sort of hot key which will focus in on the server list (to select a different server) while the RDP window is in focus?

Basically so I can switch between RDP sessions or start new ones without touching my mouse.

mewse
May 2, 2006

incoherent posted:

*bends down on one knee to mewse eye level*

He never had to worry about domain controllers ever again

*holds tear in*

This had me crying at work, I hope you're happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mewse posted: