Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It's no surprise it didn't take with the advent of SAMs and ABMs along with the "nukes solve everything" thinking of the fifties. Take the Nike Zeus- 90 g acceleration to over mach 4 in seconds. It needed ablative shielding to deal with the heat loads and glowed as if it were experiencing re-entry. Then it could knock out a bomber formation with a 25-400 kiloton warhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

It's no surprise it didn't take with the advent of SAMs and ABMs along with the "nukes solve everything" thinking of the fifties. Take the Nike Zeus- 90 g acceleration to over mach 4 in seconds. It needed ablative shielding to deal with the heat loads and glowed as if it were experiencing re-entry. Then it could knock out a bomber formation with a 25-400 kiloton warhead.

holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O81nJeVKUOc

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The sprint is still the best AA missile ever in my mind. One big ablative cone with a bigass motor and a bigass nuke

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The Sprint was pretty baller. Mach 10 in five seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvZGaMt7UgQ

Check the skin of the missile glowing white hot from atmospheric friction.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

The Sprint was pretty baller. Mach 10 in five seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvZGaMt7UgQ

Check the skin of the missile glowing white hot from atmospheric friction.

gently caress, that's cool.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Missiles are cool and do cool things

Like this target ship being mulched by two Sunburns

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Is that how that stack is supposed to look??

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

zombie303 posted:

Don't really know tbqh, but Curtis really don't give a poo poo :clint:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

zombie303 posted:

Curtis would nuke you for asking that question.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Curtis would nuke you for asking that question.

It would be an honor.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Potential BFF posted:

Every time I see these, I think the war nerd is right. The surface fleet is toast.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Potential BFF posted:

Oh-ly moses. So that's what 300kg warheads do at mach3

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Potential BFF posted:

whymodernshipshavenoarmor.gif

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Potential BFF posted:

Jesus, 2nd missile looks like it goes all the way through the ship, front to back (or back to front, I'm not a boat person).

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

zombie303 posted:

Yea in the USAF the ribbons are offset from the collar if the rack is big enough.

Not hard to do in the USAF. Mine puts some third world African dictators to shame.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

holocaust bloopers posted:

Yea in the USAF the ribbons are offset from the collar if the rack is big enough.

Not hard to do in the USAF. Mine puts some third world African dictators to shame.

Basically every Canadian leaves Tinker with more medals than their chief of staff.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
This is cool and pisses me off at the same time: Nike Ajax vs B-17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKFE90sWqx8

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Meydey posted:

This is cool and pisses me off at the same time: Nike Ajax vs B-17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKFE90sWqx8

Just imagine it's a Bear full of godless commies instead.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
So hard

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Blistex posted:

The general idea of rockets getting a pilot up to intercept altitude fast carried on well after WWII, but didn't take.

That's a zero length take off system. They were developed so interceptors could be launched from hidden in barns in Germany and not require a vulnerable runway. The booster was immediately dropped and didn't help with climb. I don't know if the system was ever deployed though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDstVGAmI74

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Blistex posted:

I think a lot of it was, "we need something that can get to +30,000 feet in very short notice", as sometimes fighters wouldn't be able to intercept bombers due to the speed and altitude they were flying at and the time it took ground crews to get them started, warmed up, and take off. With the 163 all you really needed was to light the match and fly nearly straight up to intercept altitude as it's average rate of climb was ~160m/s (all in all, under two minutes from getting airborne to having an altitude advantage on a formation of B-17s).

The general idea of rockets getting a pilot up to intercept altitude fast carried on well after WWII, but didn't take.

Edit: how the hell did I wind up in GIP?

I was at one of the last Blue Angels shows that had the C-130 Fat Albert takeoff with RATOs, when I was in high school. That was pretty baller to watch.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Pretty baller after they worked the bugs out. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gXfK4ypirI

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Pretty baller after they worked the bugs out. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gXfK4ypirI

"Run way is too short, solutions?"

"Lets put rockets on it."

"Solved."

C-130s are generally awesome. One that can lift off in under 150' is just bananas.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

iceslice posted:

"Run way is too short, solutions?"

"Lets put rockets on it."

"Solved."

C-130s are generally awesome. One that can lift off in under 150' is just bananas.

The fact they planned to use a soccer stadium to land & take off is kind of insane and awesome.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Captain Postal posted:

That's a zero length take off system. They were developed so interceptors could be launched from hidden in barns in Germany and not require a vulnerable runway. The booster was immediately dropped and didn't help with climb. I don't know if the system was ever deployed though.

The program was scrapped, and while I want to say there were countless deaths involving the program, those might as well just be from the horrendous track record of mild cases of "catastrophic failure of the everything" the Starfighter had with which Germany tested the system.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Zeris posted:

The fact they planned to use a soccer stadium to land & take off is kind of insane and awesome.

If you haven't read any of the books about the proposed program, it's really good. The lessons learned are the foundation of today's modern SOCOM/JSOC. A lot of stuff is done this way because that poo poo was so upside-down.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

iceslice posted:

If you haven't read any of the books about the proposed program, it's really good. The lessons learned are the foundation of today's modern SOCOM/JSOC. A lot of stuff is done this way because that poo poo was so upside-down.

I have a terrible reaction to those kinds of books because people read them and want to talk about them if think you'll understand. Nothing is worse than civilianwar nerds who want to sperg on some Red Wings / Anaconda / WWII whatever poo poo as though I loving care or had anything to do with it as a retarded officer in a retarded army. My only defense is to say I don't know anything about that world.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Godholio posted:

Basically every Canadian leaves Tinker with more medals than their chief of staff.

And we're not allowed to wear most of them - Legion of Merit is one I can think of that is allowed. I know lots of guys who got NAMs at Whidbey Island that are either just shadowboxed or tossed in a drawer.

Current Chief of Defence Staff, and most of his stuff (3/5) is just for being given the position. He had the typical Canadian rack of a Special Service Medal (overseas service of certain length of time on a non-specific mission) and Canadian Forces Decoration (12 years good service, with a bar for each additional period, 24 and 30 years I think).

Since no one gives a poo poo, here are a couple of Hornets on the way to bomb an ISIS dump truck.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I see no bombs on those hornets, just some air to air missiles, 2 mavericks, and some fuel tanks.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Captain Postal posted:

ZELL wasn't there for air defense: the F-100s and F-104s were meant to be carrying tactical nukes. It worked, but by the time it did, there were missiles that did the same job in a non-:jeb: fashion.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

ded posted:

I see no bombs on those hornets, just some air to air missiles, 2 mavericks, and some fuel tanks.

500lb LGBs, asymmetric load (one bomb and a tank right wing, two bombs left). Dozens of sorties flown, probably near 100 now, like 4 drops...

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

compressioncut posted:

500lb LGBs, asymmetric load (one bomb and a tank right wing, two bombs left). Dozens of sorties flown, probably near 100 now, like 4 drops...

Ohh now I see them. At first glance they look like they might be sparrows or ammrams(sp)

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.I._Joe_Adventure_Team

False Flag Rape
Aug 22, 2013

by Lowtax

ded posted:

Ohh now I see them. At first glance they look like they might be sparrows or ammrams(sp)

nigga you blind

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

False Flag Rape posted:

nigga you blind

its uhhhhh small pic

i need my bifocals

uhhh im colorblind

uhh hey look at that bird behind you!

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

ded posted:

its uhhhhh small pic

i need my bifocals

uhhh im colorblind

uhh hey look at that bird behind you!

Don't lie. You can't actually see the bird either. :)

iceslice
May 20, 2005

There are 3 things going on in this picture: First, the antenna re-locator kit relocates the antenna to the position immediately above the MBITR. Neat. Second, there's like $50 in adapters routing the line back up, before it comes back down to the radio itself. I know this because I've found my self with an awkward adapter, and can never find the simple 1-step to get to what I'm trying to connect to. Eventually it turns into that mess right there. Finally (and most pedantically), no one uses the freqs for that antenna. Unless they're cops, and then maybe.

God those guys are such nerds.

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012

iceslice posted:

There are 3 things going on in this picture: First, the antenna re-locator kit relocates the antenna to the position immediately above the MBITR. Neat. Second, there's like $50 in adapters routing the line back up, before it comes back down to the radio itself. I know this because I've found my self with an awkward adapter, and can never find the simple 1-step to get to what I'm trying to connect to. Eventually it turns into that mess right there. Finally (and most pedantically), no one uses the freqs for that antenna. Unless they're cops, and then maybe.

God those guys are such nerds.

They're members of the GI Joe Adventure Team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Nobody mentioned that the banking Hornet has a fake canopy on it? I assume it's Canadian, since A-I can't imagine the Marines letting that happen and B-it's a Legacy Hornet.

• Locked thread