Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Pillowpants posted:

Is the character playing Robin also 15-20 years older than Bruce?

Well, if Robin's parents are the same age (or even closeish) as Bruce, I'd really be shocked if that were the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
The Flying Graysons being young adults at this point wouldn't be unreasonable.

And they need to be established acrobats so the show can make all those bird puns!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

hcreight posted:

The Flying Graysons being young adults at this point wouldn't be unreasonable.

It would however probably be boring, I honestly don't think I want to see this story. They have enough awesome stuff to focus on currently, we don't want this to turn into a Too Many Cooks situation.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

So Nielsen's is going to start tracking Amazon and Netflix ratings. No those companies aren't releasing viewership data they are going to "use the content's audio to determine which content is being streamed". This is the stupidest goddamn thing for a billion reasons, not the least of which is that streaming content is the content most likely to be watched on non-TV platforms. gently caress off forever and stop ruining TV the Nielsens.

Maybe I'm stupid but how is this ruining TV again?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

precision posted:

It would however probably be boring, I honestly don't think I want to see this story. They have enough awesome stuff to focus on currently, we don't want this to turn into a Too Many Cooks situation.

For all you know it will just be Alfred, Selina, and Bruce going to the circus and meeting two acrobats who are Dicks parents. Sure they will mention something to Alfred they hope they could be as good parents to their kids as Alfred is to Bruce. Bruce might also mention the name Richard and they say that's a great name.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

"Miss Kyle, return that man's wallet."
"...Dick"

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

edit: ^^^^ I only watched the first episode of season 1 and it seemed to me like "the real show" had already started because one of the girls clearly is actually a lesbian.

As I've said, the whole concept of "Let's pretend we're a gay couple in a progressive school in order to become popular" gets tossed after the first season. The ruse is completely revealed, like, four episodes into the second season, and the public blowback gets maybe half an episode because everyone who matters has already reacted. This is literally a case of the showrunner wanting to dispose of a problematic concept -- one he didn't necessarily have a whole lot to do with (Carter Covington was a hired gun who replaced the original creators of the show) as quickly and artfully as he could manage.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Gotham needs to learn they can spread out the references. Save some stuff for upcoming seasons! Arrow didn’t cram Deathstroke and the Assassin’s League stuff into the first seven episodes.

Gotham is incredibly “wink wink.” The Flash is all “yeah, we’re going to have a telepathic gorilla.”

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arrow/Flash do a ton of that wink wink stuff too they just pay off enough stuff that it balances out. I mean last night's Flash had the line "A man of steel, huh..."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CobiWann posted:

Gotham needs to learn they can spread out the references. Save some stuff for upcoming seasons! Arrow didn’t cram Deathstroke and the Assassin’s League stuff into the first seven episodes.

Gotham is incredibly “wink wink.” The Flash is all “yeah, we’re going to have a telepathic gorilla.”

They did have Deathstrokes mask in the first episode.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

bobkatt013 posted:

They did have Deathstrokes mask in the first episode.

Oh. Well, I've never seen Arrow but know he showed up in a later season. But my point (pretend I used a different example) still stands.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

As I've said, the whole concept of "Let's pretend we're a gay couple in a progressive school in order to become popular" gets tossed after the first season. The ruse is completely revealed, like, four episodes into the second season, and the public blowback gets maybe half an episode because everyone who matters has already reacted. This is literally a case of the showrunner wanting to dispose of a problematic concept -- one he didn't necessarily have a whole lot to do with (Carter Covington was a hired gun who replaced the original creators of the show) as quickly and artfully as he could manage.

What was the original premise replaced with? Is it that one of the girls really is gay and is in love with her straight best friend?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

zoux posted:

Arrow/Flash do a ton of that wink wink stuff too they just pay off enough stuff that it balances out. I mean last night's Flash had the line "A man of steel, huh..."

What Gotham does goes beyond the occasional goofy reference joke though. Every time they bring in another Batvillain-to-be they explicitly acknowledge who the character is going to become over and over again. Either because they think the audience is too stupid to pick up on things otherwise or because the writers need to reaffirm that they're totally making a Batman show.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

hcreight posted:

What Gotham does goes beyond the occasional goofy reference joke though. Every time they bring in another Batvillain-to-be they explicitly acknowledge who the character is going to become over and over again. Either because they think the audience is too stupid to pick up on things otherwise or because the writers need to reaffirm that they're totally making a Batman show.

I think it's a combination of the two: they need to remind the viewer that they're watching a Batman show because it'd be too loving boring to watch without that element.

ftr though I stopped watching after the first two episodes because my eyes were starting to hurt from rolling around my head so much

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The audience is too stupid.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rabbit Hill posted:

What was the original premise replaced with? Is it that one of the girls really is gay and is in love with her straight best friend?

That's a big part of it, but without giving away too much, the show takes a wider view. It's now more about people -- not just Karma and Amy -- who lie or otherwise withold truth to protect themselves and each other, and how that affects other people. Shane dates an MMA fighter who's in the closet because he thinks MMA isn't ready for a gay fighter. Liam's (Karma's love interest) parents founded a tech company worth at least nine figures if not ten, but he's only told a few people because his parents are kind of dicks and he doesn't want to be associated with them. Amy is actually trying to move on from Karma and has started dating another girl, who was written off as a "phase" by her last girlfriend.

None of that gets into Lauren and what she's got going on, or more importantly, the shocking last-minute twist that played out at the end of last season and has been driving the second season so far. I suppose somebody else might be a smartass and tell you all about it, but if you like teen comedy / light soap-opera, you should really check it out for yourself.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Or I suppose I can be the smartass and tell you everything myself. Lauren, who is the stock hateful Christian character, turns out to be intersex -- born with XXY chromosomes. A lot of the season so far has been her learning to cope with That starting to slowly come out. And the big thing that happened at the end of season 1 is that on second thought, either watch the show or find someone else to spoil you because while it's not a game-changer, I can't bear the idea of ruining that reveal. That and it just doesn't make a lot of sense out of context.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 19, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Aphrodite posted:

The audience is too stupid.

That should probably be the new name of TVIV.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The stuff on Gotham, what little I saw before I stopped watching, was really ridiculous. But if you ever need evidence that the people that watch TV do need to be talked down to at times then just watch an episode of The Walking Dead, which is a very very simple show, and take a look at the thread during and after that episode. Then you'll know why TV shows feel they need to talk down to their audiences. Now, I'm not recommending you actually go and read the thread, but if you ever want to know there's a good example for you.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

zoux posted:

Yeah, but their incorporation of the boxing glove arrow was fantastic.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Deadpool posted:

The stuff on Gotham, what little I saw before I stopped watching, was really ridiculous. But if you ever need evidence that the people that watch TV do need to be talked down to at times then just watch an episode of The Walking Dead, which is a very very simple show, and take a look at the thread during and after that episode. Then you'll know why TV shows feel they need to talk down to their audiences. Now, I'm not recommending you actually go and read the thread, but if you ever want to know there's a good example for you.

Yeah this is horribly true.

By the way, Gotham's actually fairly watchable now, if you can get past the "lol Batman without Batman" stuff and the shoehorning. Cobblepot's an absolute joy. It's certainly one hell of a lot better than The Flash.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think Gotham is pretty great, it seems to keep getting a little better every episode.

I did however think it was hilarious though that in this week's episode, Barbara Gordon knew the correct spelling of Zsasz somehow. :lol:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah alright adding you two guys to my "if they say its good, its gonna be terrible" pile.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Yeah alright adding you two guys to my "if they say its good, its gonna be terrible" pile.

I call mine the Rapey Joe Stalin Memorial Never Watch Pile.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

CobiWann posted:

Oh. Well, I've never seen Arrow but know he showed up in a later season. But my point (pretend I used a different example) still stands.

Your point that the Batman show should reference Batman less?

I don't think that's the killer argument you think it is.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

Which is just a statue of a horny Joseph Stalin hunkering over a pile of discarded Smash DVDs.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

zoux posted:

And I am comfortable sneering down upon you from atop it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Shageletic posted:

Yeah but Rectify and Transparent actually are the two best shows in recent memory. I'm certainly not putting Gotham anywhere near that pile, but for a dumb comic book show it is very entertaining, mostly due to having (mostly) good actors on it.

:shrug:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Deadpool posted:

Of course, there are also people in that thread that are pretty proud of not actually watching the show, just glancing at it every so often.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think it's rather brave of anyone to say Gotham is a good show when everything I hear about it even after I stopped watching says otherwise. I commend them for liking a bad show and being proud of it. I've certainly done the same before. In fact I think most of us have. I mean people on this very page are talking about liking MTV shows.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

precision posted:

Yeah but Rectify and Transparent actually are the two best shows in recent memory. I'm certainly not putting Gotham anywhere near that pile, but for a dumb comic book show it is very entertaining, mostly due to having (mostly) good actors on it.

:shrug:

Haven't gotten around to Transparent yet, dummy that I am, but Rectify is good poo poo....though I did kind of lose interest towards the end of the second season, especially when it disappeared from Time Warner's free VOD.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Deadpool posted:

I think it's rather brave of anyone to say Gotham is a good show when everything I hear about it even after I stopped watching says otherwise. I commend them for liking a bad show and being proud of it. I've certainly done the same before. In fact I think most of us have. I mean people on this very page are talking about liking MTV shows.

It's the acting. The leads and Penguin are doing some heavy, heavy lifting.

Shageletic posted:

Which is just a statue of a horny Joseph Stalin hunkering over a pile of discarded Smash DVDs.

Due to my paraphimosis CSW you wouldn't be able to tell.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I like Got'Ham? and i am a good person and very smart.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 19, 2014

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Burn this thread down

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

It's certainly one hell of a lot better than The Flash.

No. Just, no.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Deadpool posted:

Gotham isn't a good show, I keep watching it for some reason though. But in all fairness to my terrible taste, I also still watch NCIS so maybe "dumb cop procedural in Batmanland" was bound to work for me.

This week's episode was rancid with baby batman and catwoman poo poo though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

This is great news - more BBC Luther:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/luther-revived-two-part-bbc-750472

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

It's certainly one hell of a lot better than The Flash.

So what's it like to hate fun and awesome things?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
God dammit why are these people so loving talented

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oANxjUgbVFQ

It makes me SO ANGRY

vv I know, right?

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mo0 posted:

God dammit why are these people so loving talented

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oANxjUgbVFQ

It makes me SO ANGRY

Why book the band at all when you can do their material better than them?

• Locked thread