Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

pentyne posted:

Alternate Astrid was a really good portrayal of an actual autistic person trying to cope with genuine emotional stress rather then just BBT Sheldon beep-boop what are emotions?

That whole "Do you think if I was more like you our father would have loved me?" bit would have justified the entire season, even if you liked nothing else about it. She killed both sides of that. God drat Fringe was good, time to rewatch it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm up for this. I don't love this show, I just think it's okay. But I've also not watched it properly (seen about 70% or 80% of the show, so not an insignificant amount) and I'm interested if you goons can sway my opinion one way or the other.

To give some idea of what I think of the show:

What I like: some of the ideas; Anna Torv, John Noble, Jasika Nicole; Seasons 3 and 5; the music; the show's willingness to go weird.

Ambivalent: The (original) soundtrack; the show not being weird enough, often enough; the DVD covers.

What I dislike: Season 4; the many narrative dead ends; the show wasting its supporting cast.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Who is it you think was wasted? Broyles, Nina Sharp?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pentyne posted:

Alternate Astrid was a really good portrayal of an actual autistic person trying to cope with genuine emotional stress rather then just BBT Sheldon beep-boop what are emotions?

It's weird- Alternate Astrid was written as autistic, but the writers didn't know that Jasika Nicole had an autistic sister.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Did Fringe end up having a good ending or not? I was way into the show, and really looking forward to the time jump in the last season, and then I thought the first few episodes of the season were kinda crappy and just stopped watching. The last episode I watched was either the one where they kill Peter/Olivia's daughter, or the one after that one. I think it was the one after because I remember Peter kidnapping and torturing an Observer and I remember the show being all ~*~*~OMG PETER HAS GONE TOO FAR*~*~*~

Is it worth going back and finishing, or was it crap and I'm better off just reading a synopsis?

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 20, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

OldSenileGuy posted:

Did Fringe end up having a good ending or not? I was way into the show, and really looking forward to the time jump in the last season, and then I thought the first few episodes of the season were kinda crappy and just stopped watching. The last episode I watched was either the one where the kill Peter/Olivia's daughter, or the one after that one. I think it was the one after because I remember Peter kidnapping and torturing an Observer and I remember the show being all ~*~*~OMG PETER HAS GONE TOO FAR*~*~*~

Is it worth going back and finishing, or was it crap and I'm better off just reading a synopsis?

Watch the rest

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
One of my all time favorite shows i think. Im probably rare in that i also really dig the first season

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

This is just a WONDERFUL OP. Any chemists want to tell me how hard it is to synthesize LSD? :allears:

Fringe Fridays, I have missed you.

I can throw a rock out my front door and hit a tripping hippy. Can't be that hard.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
We need to add a line to the OP after "ending on its own terms" that says "which means the ending is one of the most satisfying finishes a science fiction program has ever dished out" to help our friends with the neat stars next to their names.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

grilldos posted:

We need to add a line to the OP after "ending on its own terms" that says "which means the ending is one of the most satisfying finishes a science fiction program has ever dished out" to help our friends with the neat stars next to their names.

Sure did

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Who is it you think was wasted? Broyles, Nina Sharp?

Yeah, and Astrid and Charlie when they had him.

Most get moments in the spotlight eventually, but they're just moments. The show's not really that interested in them, for the most part.

I love the dynamic that Astrid shares with Walter, don't get me wrong. But she never really gets to do very much for herself, outside that one really great Season 4 episode.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, and Astrid and Charlie when they had him.

Most get moments in the spotlight eventually, but they're just moments. The show's not really that interested in them, for the most part.

I love the dynamic that Astrid shares with Walter, don't get me wrong. But she never really gets to do very much for herself, outside that one really great Season 4 episode.

I get what you're saying, Astrid was the least explored of the central cast, and there were many dropped plot threads (mostly in season 1), but there may have been less than you think. (<-- spoilers in the link)

OldSenileGuy posted:

Did Fringe end up having a good ending or not? I was way into the show, and really looking forward to the time jump in the last season, and then I thought the first few episodes of the season were kinda crappy and just stopped watching. The last episode I watched was either the one where they kill Peter/Olivia's daughter, or the one after that one. I think it was the one after because I remember Peter kidnapping and torturing an Observer and I remember the show being all ~*~*~OMG PETER HAS GONE TOO FAR*~*~*~

Would you mind spoilering that?

Also, you are literally eight episodes from the end - if you got that far, it's really not a big push.

I was also unsure about season 5 when it started airing, but it really picks up momentum towards the end and the last moment of the finale had me grasping for air, thinking "that's it. it's over" in a sad but satisfied voice.

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Nov 19, 2014

David Mountford
Feb 16, 2012

OldSenileGuy posted:

POSTS A TON OF SPOILERS BECAUSE HEY WHY NOT

please take your dementia medication grand pappy, we're tired of you walking in to threads and dropping spoilers everywhere.

sincerely,
the children of the TVIV (people who haven't seen fringe already) who were spoiled by a mod's bad posting.

[i've seen the show many times. it's just crass to hop in and swing your dick, posting spoilers in spite of thread rules laid out in the OP asking if it's worth your precious time to finish it.]

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

PriorMarcus posted:

I honestly feel like the odd one out. Season One and Two are amazing, but it starts going downhill the moment Peter comes back and Olivia is switched out.

You're not alone. I'm not sure if I'd call the first two seasons amazing, but I definitely felt like there was a downward trend starting around season three and going right through to the end. The later seasons had some really great highs, but I felt like they were wildly inconsistent and really unsatisfying in terms of character development and arc resolution. I tried rewatching the whole thing about a year ago, but I found myself skipping a lot of episodes and I think I ended up stopping around mid-season four.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Lol thread is already ruined. I guess ill make one in gbs if i decide i want to talk about fringe!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I mentioned at the end of the previous thread that I recently finished watching Alias from start to finish, having gone through Fringe last winter. I noticed some parallels, and I wonder if I might have thought differently of Fringe if I'd watched Alias first.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Fetus Tree posted:

Lol thread is already ruined. I guess ill make one in gbs if i decide i want to talk about fringe!

I loved the first season because it took what looked like really standard tv cliches and turned them upside down right before blowing the premise of the show wide open. That scene in the cemetery at the end of the season finale is amazing for everything that it tells us about Walter and his history and the nature of the show's world.

"I made that plug in case...anything..might happen to follow me back through to this dimension, Peter."

That they would then wait so long to show us anything of the other side and leave it entirely to our imaginations to conjure what the other Walter had felt and been through and done was masterful.

anastazius
May 17, 2009
I love Fringe SO MUCH and miss pretty much all the characters.

And I wish Walter Bishop was my dad.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

anastazius posted:

I love Fringe SO MUCH and miss pretty much all the characters.

And I wish Walter Bishop was my dad.

If you want to see John Noble killing it you should watch Sleepy Hollow.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

bobkatt013 posted:

I like to think that's how Walternate got to power. He is amazing in the show.

I defend my PhD in two days but I think it's time for a binge after I'm done.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It's weird- Alternate Astrid was written as autistic, but the writers didn't know that Jasika Nicole had an autistic sister.

The correct name is Austrid :colbert:

Also, how many versions of Oliva were there? So far I've got Oliva, Fauxlivia, Olivia playing Fauxlivia, Fauxlivia playing Oliva, alt timeline Oliva, and Spock.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 19, 2014

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Anna Torv deserves way more work than she's gotten post Fringe. Which has been, nothing?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

howe_sam posted:

Anna Torv deserves way more work than she's gotten post Fringe. Which has been, nothing?

Most of the main characters haven't really had anything major since afaik

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I added tags to my post to appease you babies, even though the OP says this thread is going to be full of spoilers :colbert:

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Jose posted:

Most of the main characters haven't really had anything major since afaik

Which is a crime, especially for Anna Torv who absolutely killed it. My only big complaint about season 5 is that she didn't really have as much to do.

e:

OldSenileGuy posted:

I added tags to my post to appease you babies, even though the OP says this thread is going to be full of spoilers :colbert:

Not really man

Hard Clumping posted:

though this OP will contain some spoiler-y stuff, let’s be polite to people in the thread who are new to the show and spoiler certain things in discussion

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 20, 2014

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hard Clumping posted:

Which is a crime, especially for Anna Torv who absolutely killed it. My only big complaint about season 5 is that she didn't really have as much to do.

It's really funny when you consider that pretty much every review said she was a terrible actress during the first season. Nope, she was playing Dunham all stiff at the start for a reason. She had really great range.

Hard Clumping posted:

Not really man

I think he's referring to the second post in the thread, which I also thought was the OP until I went to quote you on it. Turns out you and grilldos just have similiar enough avatars it seems that way. Which one of you is the B-version?

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
I'm worms, he's arachnids.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

bobkatt013 posted:

John Noble has been completely wasted on Sleepy Hollow so far, this season was the perfect chance to give his character some depth, but it never happened.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

howe_sam posted:

She had an HBO pilot that fell through quite late into the negotiations process. But it was a Ryan Murphy show, so that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

She was in an episode of The Pacific too.

Joshua Jackon's a regular on The Affair, which is pretty drat great. Got a second season renewal as well.

Other than John Noble, who's also going to be in the upcoming Arkham game, no-one else has really got regular work.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

She had an HBO pilot that fell through quite late into the negotiations process. But it was a Ryan Murphy show, so that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

Joshua Jackon's a regular on The Affair, which is pretty drat great. Got a second season renewal as well.

Other than John Noble, who's also going to be in the upcoming Arkham game, no-one else has really got regular work.

John Noble is also the main villain in Sleepy Hollow

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Rocksicles posted:

John Noble is also the main villain in Sleepy Hollow

Sleepy Hollow is awesome, and John Noble is awesome, but he deserves a much better show. He's just above and beyond any one else in that show, and he's kind of wasted on it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

PriorMarcus posted:

Sleepy Hollow is awesome, and John Noble is awesome, but he deserves a much better show. He's just above and beyond any one else in that show, and he's kind of wasted on it.

That would be true of just about any project John Noble gets involved with.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
Season 1 of Sleepy Hollow had Noble's character in a really fun position and hinted at all sorts of nuance (the sin eating scene from his first episode was really fantastic), but season 2 (as far as I've seen, I'm admittedly way behind) has just had him as cackling villain. While fun, it's kind of a waste.

This is rad though:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Hard Clumping posted:

Season 1 of Sleepy Hollow had Noble's character in a really fun position and hinted at all sorts of nuance (the sin eating scene from his first episode was really fantastic), but season 2 (as far as I've seen, I'm admittedly way behind) has just had him as cackling villain. While fun, it's kind of a waste.

This is rad though:

He is a bit more than that. He is a guy who has serious parents issues, and still a child emotionally.
It also got us this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba8dtjlj-M0

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

So uh what you are telling me is I should watch Sleepy Hollow.

I mean the premise sounds fun enough if the show doesn't take itself too seriously but it's got John Noble in it as a villain?!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Antti posted:

So uh what you are telling me is I should watch Sleepy Hollow.

I mean the premise sounds fun enough if the show doesn't take itself too seriously but it's got John Noble in it as a villain?!

Yes it also has the headless horseman with a shotgun and ak 47.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Antti posted:

the show doesn't take itself too seriously at all.

Almost right, just took a couple edits and now it is a true statement.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
John Noble made Dark Matters worth watching. That man can spin gold from poo poo.

For like three minutes. And that was in 2010, so Fringe was still going at the time.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

John Noble made Dark Matters worth watching. That man can spin gold from poo poo.

For like three minutes. And that was in 2010, so Fringe was still going at the time.

I like to imagine that Dark Matters is a documentary series Walternate hosted after retiring as secretary of defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes it also has the headless horseman with a shotgun and ak 47.

My brother and mother love Sleepy Hollow but I wanted no part of it.

But you've just sold me on Sleepy Hollow. John Noble is just an added bonus.

Also, as an aside, Anna Torv should get some sort of "Most Improved Actor During a Show's Run" award if such a thing exists.

• Locked thread