Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Does anyone have a wooden slim case for an iPhone 6 from Carved and could take a photo of the bottom of it?

The photos on the website are at a bit of an angle and I want to try and work out if it'll fit in my Belkin dock without having to remove the case. Sadly, the plastic bumper around my Spigen case has snapped due to being taken off too many times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

I have the apple leather case and it's pretty awesome.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Phone was 1 month out of regular Applecare yet still got hooked up with a free replacement cable. :)

Got lucky I guess. I hear they're cracking down on the free passes people are given.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

EconOutlines posted:

Phone was 1 month out of regular Applecare yet still got hooked up with a free replacement cable. :)

Got lucky I guess. I hear they're cracking down on the free passes people are given.

They were EXTREMELY lenient if you were not a douche about things... right up until they came out with AppleCare+. They can't exactly sell you on a premium warranty service if they keep giving away their services for free.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Speaking of Continuity, I like that phone calls show up on my Mac, but I hate how if I hit "Decline" from the notification, another "Missed Call" notification pops up immediately after. I missed the call I just declined? No poo poo, Mac.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

You'd think Apple would just stop making lovely Lightning cables at some point.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

smackfu posted:

You'd think Apple would just stop making lovely Lightning cables at some point.

Cables, along with mice, are one thing Apple just can't make good.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is there any way to make Siri ignore a bluetooth connection by default? My car's bluetooth is fine as an output device, but the mic isn't so good and there's always a delay when Siri engages it. It's annoying to bring up Siri and manually change to the phone mic each time I get in the car.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
What do you all do to your cables? I have a few lightning cables I bought when the iPhone 5 came out and they are still in great condition.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Jose Oquendo posted:

What do you all do to your cables? I have a few lightning cables I bought when the iPhone 5 came out and they are still in great condition.

Same, never had a damaged apple cable of any kind and I don't baby them. I'm convinced most of these people are soldiers/hikers who use the cables as a belt or tie down.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

This has been on my office desk and nowhere else. It's been moved so little it still has some of the bends from the package.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I've had way less issues with Lightning cables than with the old 30-pin cables. I think it had something to do with it being easier to grasp the Lightning connector itself so I'm yanking on just the cord less.

That said, through no fault of my own, I had a Lightning cable fry itself on me. Apple replaced it on the spot.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That reminds me of an adapter a user brought in yesterday.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It looks to me like the magsafe connector was wedged in the prongs as the user tried to plug it in to a wall outlet, creating a monster short.

Am I correctly interpreting?

Maybe the next Apple power connector won't have a metal surface. :v:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Same, never had a damaged apple cable of any kind and I don't baby them. I'm convinced most of these people are soldiers/hikers who use the cables as a belt or tie down.

It's just the lovely soft-touch plastic they use. It loses elasticity when it gets fatigued enough, to the point where I can touch my bad cable and pieces of plastic flake off.

The earbuds seem to use a different compound that's slicker, and I've never had those fail.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Endless Mike posted:

This has been on my office desk and nowhere else. It's been moved so little it still has some of the bends from the package.

Tell your office to call an exterminator.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Brock Landers posted:

Nope this is just what happens to them. This is the one that came with my 5 a couple years ago:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Jose Oquendo posted:

All my Apple cables are still in almost new condition too, but I don't plug my iPad in and swing it around over my head by the cable pretending I'm a cowboy either.

Most people treat their electronics horribly. That Otterboxes are a thing is hilarious.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
I have knock off 30pin cables from 10 years ago that are in flawless condition. I have gone through lightening cables like nobody's business.

They are definitely shittier in quality.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Brock Landers posted:

The rest of the cable, including the USB end, is fine. It's just, as mentioned above, the rubber loses its elasticity as its bent over and over and that eventually happens.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I've just had a nightmare experience upgrading my iPhone (5) to iOS 8.1.1. First I couldn't upgrade because there wasn't enough free space on my device (even through iTunes which I previously thought skipped the space requirement), so I had to delete all my music to free up space. Then I went for the restore route as I'm really not sure where all the space was going (I had 2.1gb in "other") and felt it was time for a clean start.

The backup to iTunes went through without errors, then the phone was wiped, then when it came to reinstalling my apps iTunes threw up an error saying 29 of them couldn't be reinstalled because the data was missing. Sure enough, they're not in my iTunes "Mobile Applications" folder on my laptop. Most frustratingly one of these was a budgeting app that I rely on and has since been removed from the store, so I can't even reinstall from my purchase history and I've lost all my data that was in it.

Resigned to the fact I'm poo poo out of luck for that app and my data, I went through the list of others that iTunes had failed to restore and installed them from my purchase history. Now I see that half of them aren't visible at all on my homescreen but are installed because I can run them from Spotlight. I really don't know what to do to fix this (rebooting did nothing), and I've lost track of how many invisible apps I now have.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm really annoyed that iTunes never warned me that the apps had failed to back up and I've now lost one of the most essential apps I had on my phone :(

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

The rest of the cable, including the USB end, is fine. It's just, as mentioned above, the rubber loses its elasticity as its bent over and over and that eventually happens.

If you pull your cables out by the hard plastic connector, that won't happen. And why are you bending the cables over and over enough to cause that?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Brock Landers posted:

If you pull your cables out by the hard plastic connector, that won't happen. And why are you bending the cables over and over enough to cause that?
Why is it so hard for you to believe that this is a thing that actually happens? There are more than enough examples of it across the internet to confirm that it's actually a thing. These people aren't swinging their cables wildly or have mice under their desk. It just sometimes happens.

My best guess as to why is that Apple uses a few different suppliers / manufacturers for their cables. I've used every single cable the exact same way over my iPhone/iPod career and probably 1/3 of all the cables are absolutely shredded right at the connection point while the others are still in perfect condition.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Apple will soon let third-party products use its Lightning port, opening up new possibilities for accessories

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Why is it so hard for you to believe that this is a thing that actually happens? There are more than enough examples of it across the internet to confirm that it's actually a thing. These people aren't swinging their cables wildly or have mice under their desk.

I see by the pictures that it actually happens. I refuse to believe it is caused by simply plugging and unplugging the cable by the connector (not yanking on the cable which would be abuse). Also, repeated hard bends (abuse) will destroy ANY cable not specifically designed for it. So unless you're telling me that the plastic coating is rotting away, the only "thing" these Internet pictures show is cables that have been abused in some way. People abuse their equipment knowingly AND unknowingly all the time. Unless there is proof (not anecdotes) that Lightning cables are failing at a rate disproportionate to that of other cables, that is the simplest and most likely explanation.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Why is it so hard for you to believe that this is a thing that actually happens?

It's a tall order to have somebody explain why they think every issue they don't personally experience is the result of everybody but them being mentally deficient.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The coating does kind of rot away. Amazon replaced kindle cables because the soft touch coating rotted off, and the Lightning cables do the same.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Brock Landers posted:

I refuse to believe it is caused by simply plugging and unplugging the cable by the connector (not yanking on the cable which would be abuse).

Haha what is this poo poo. So everyone who's ever had a cable deteriorate is a mongoloid who yanks it out and abuses it. Ooookay.

I've had some cables fray. I'm not going to claim they just died on sight, because I definitely moved the laptop or charger they were connected to around, etc, but I think that's something that's likely to happen with anyone who owns chargers and the fact a lot of them end up getting so frayed is probably something that could be fixed by using different coatings or whatever.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
ITT goons sentenced to jail for abusing their iPhone cables

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Apple using cheaper and worse TLC flash memory for storage on some of the 64GB 6/6+ and all of the 128GB version.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

If you phone doesn't work take it to Apple and get a new one. If your phone works keep it and use it.

Hope this helps.

That's the thing though, the TLC memory with a shorter lifespan (around 1/4~1/3 of MLC that was used before) won't die immediately so people are most likely to not notice the defect till it's too late and out of the 1 year warranty period.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can someone make an estimate in years or write cycles instead of just saying 1/4

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
When your iPhone 6's memory stops working in 2025 instead of 2050 I'm sure Apple will replace it free of charge anyway.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My launch day 64GB grey 6 has MLC.

NAND master race. :smug:

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

fleshweasel posted:

Can someone make an estimate in years or write cycles instead of just saying 1/4

I am NOT an expert but googling it says TLC flash is typically rated at a lifespan of 1000 write/erase cycles. If that's true then, due to wear leveling, you can multiply your storage capacity by the lifespan to see the total write/erase cycles for your phone. So for 64 gb you get 64 * 1000 = 64000. If you write 5 gb a day to your phone then divide by 5 to get 12800 days before your flash wears out, or 35 years. Someone please check my math and/or tell me why I'm wrong.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

smackfu posted:

It's just the lovely soft-touch plastic they use. It loses elasticity when it gets fatigued enough, to the point where I can touch my bad cable and pieces of plastic flake off.

The earbuds seem to use a different compound that's slicker, and I've never had those fail.

The controls on my earpods stopped working after being flaky for a few months in the connection to the 3.5mm minijack, but at least I got 2 whole years of use out of them before that happened rather than the month or so before the lightning cable frayed away.

Plus the Apple Store guy replaced the earpods for free.

Brock Landers posted:

I'm sure this is a factor too, but it's definitely a problem with the plastic combined with the actual hard plastic connector portion of the cable being incredibly tiny/slippery compared to a chunky 30 pin connector.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 20, 2014

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

binarysmurf posted:

I recently purchased a pair of Jaybird Bluebuds X, and everything is wonderful, except that the music volume on my iPhone 6+ is 50% of what my wired headphones put out, even when the phone volume is 100%. I have re-paired the headset several times, to no avail.

Much to my chagrin, when I paired the Bluebuds X to a Nexus 4 running Kitkat, my friend was able to boost bluetooth volume specifically, and the headset sounded AWESOME.

Is there any way I can increase the volume of bluetooth music on my iPhone? What am I missing? :) I'm using a iPhone 6+ running 8.1.

Thoughts appreciated. :)
I'm guessing you're seeing separate volumes at work*, like the iPhone might be maxed out but the headphones have a separate volume level. From looking at the user manual (box 33 down there) you should be able to raise the volume with short presses of the plus button.

*This has been my experience with A2DP stuff at least. When taking a call on the same stuff (which switches to whatever phone/headset profile) the volume buttons change iOS volume, but when back to regular audio iOS and the device go back to their own separate volume settings.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I listen to a lot of music at work (at least 6 hours, nearly 100 songs every day). I stream it to a bluetooth speaker on my desk in the office.

Since upgrading to 8.0.2 a few days ago I've gotten extremely significant better battery life. Before I was charging it daily from 100% to about <10% by the end of the day, with time to charge it up before I left for the day (9 hours after arriving, I pause a lot). Today I took my phone out of my house at 100% this morning, and it is currently at 67%. I did hit the 100 song mark this evening too on the way home in my car.

I still have to go into the bluetooth settings and tell it to reconnect to the dock every time, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Brock Landers posted:

I dunno man, sometimes I like to use my phone while it's plugged in. I know this is a crazy idea that no one would ever normally think of doing, but sometimes I do.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
How do y'all manage to use a cable incorrectly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The iPhone Thread: We Don't Understand Cables, Tim Please Add Wireless Charging