Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoB
May 1, 2009

Gyra_Solune posted:

i thought over a hundred new posts meant Z3-2 was announced behind my back but apparently no

Z3 1 was announced over Christmas or something, wasnt it? I bet we'll hear about it next month for another April release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011
Unfortunately, Z3-2 can't be released until three years after Evangelion: Final. Please understand.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Hikarusa posted:

Unfortunately, Z3-2 can't be released until three years after Evangelion: Final. Please understand.

[laughs]

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Yeah, I kinda figured they'd be waiting until around 4.0 but hell if we have any idea when that's coming. If anything I imagine Banpresto maybe has the jist of what the story does.

Or it'll just be like L and end without it. Then again I don't think it hasn't been confirmed that a Z3.3 won't happen. It'd be kind of amusing for the first to be one part, the second to be two, and the third to be three...

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Did anyone ever get that Dark Prison DLC for OGs2? How exactly does it integrate into the main game? I have a feeling it's just a separate mode that is self-contained and nothing else, which I hope it isn't :(

KoB
May 1, 2009

Rascyc posted:

Did anyone ever get that Dark Prison DLC for OGs2? How exactly does it integrate into the main game? I have a feeling it's just a separate mode that is self-contained and nothing else, which I hope it isn't :(

Its a separate game essentially.

I thought it was decent until the final battle, which just seemed unfair for all my units except the Granzon which was an unstoppable god. Whittling the boss down with just one unit was boring and every other unit would almost instantly die.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
How many stages is it?

Kind of a raw deal for it to be separate, ah well.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Rascyc posted:

How many stages is it?

Kind of a raw deal for it to be separate, ah well.

27, I think. The big thing is that you really don't get many characters during it.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Prism posted:

27, I think. The big thing is that you really don't get many characters during it.

Yeah, 30ish. You get maybe 4 full squads by the end.

e: If I remember correctly, the units are (spoilered in case you care):

Granzon
Saphine
The red Grungust
Selena's red Gerstbein thing
two of those brown Cybuster looking Masouki units
The teal Huckebein Mk 2 looking thing
Gespenst Mk2

and assorted guests like the La Gias princess lady, Zezenan's 3 lacky dudes, Mekibos, turban dude for a stage I think, and stuff like that.

KoB fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 13, 2014

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I jsut finished my first SRW game! Woo! It was Z2-1.

Now to replay it and make all the opposite choices.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
You're going to play Z and Z3, too, right? You may want to play Z before you get to Z2-2, and once you're in that deep you really should go on to Z3.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I suffer from what I call Gamer's ADD, where I'm constantly shifting games depending on whatever I feel like playing at the moment. I've got a game of Z (Setsuko Route) sitting at around Stage 13-14 and a game of Z3 (vita version) where I'm at stage 36. I have all the SR so far. I've been using the (great) Z1 and Z2 LPs to understand the story, as my learning of Japanese is very much a work in progress. For Z3 I just use Akurasu to understand how to get the SR and am waiting for a plot guide or something to "get" the story. It's usually not that hard to get the basics, though, considering how it's pretty much "Oh, it's that episode form that show!" every stage.

Are there any bonuses in Z2-2 for completing Z2-1?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Yes, you get some money for each clear and a bunch of extra money (and I think an Emblem of Destruction?) for completing the chart.

I mean, you get the Emblem, I'm pretty sure it's from completing the chart and not just the game.

nope I'm super wrong it's been a couple years since I played Z2-2

Caphi fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 13, 2014

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Are there any bonuses in Z2-2 for completing Z2-1?

Yes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Nice! Gonna try for at least two cycles and the completed scenario chart.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

God speed. I love these games but I have real problems with trying to play through them a second time.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
My problem with the second Z3 play that I'm halfway through and definitely going to finish someday before Sky Prison comes out is that unlike with Z2-2, I landed Fight Destiny the first time, so the second one is going to have to be Accept.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm holding off a Z3-1 playthrough until 3-2 is announced.

Which, admittedly, is taking longer than I expected.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
My Z2-1/Z2-2 experience means I'll probably just play 3-2 and read a summary for 3-1 along the way.

The announcement will probably be a cyclic December thing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Z3's cool. There's Gunbuster in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0vCY3I5yxo

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
As much as I like Gunbuster, from what I've seen, I can't say Z3-1's handling of it is particularly stellar. It's like Gunbuster done as set-up for the next game.

Kind of disappointing, I was really hoping for another game since Alpha 1 where it had most of the Anime plot done (except for the part done in Alpha 3) such as the early RX-7 machine periods and stuff like Jung and Sizzler Black.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I don't get why Kazumi wasn't there. Was she somehow sucked out of her cockpit and no one knows why or particularly investigated it? I don't think Noriko even mentioned her to anyone.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I think the Gunbuster animations suck other than Buster Beam. Inazuma Kick is just so utterly anti-climatic.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't get why Kazumi wasn't there. Was she somehow sucked out of her cockpit and no one knows why or particularly investigated it? I don't think Noriko even mentioned her to anyone.
From what I was told, the Gunbuster is half busted from being salvaged from a block of ice with only Noriko in it as a result of one of the quakes. Kazumi is simply not in this dimension, and I want to say Noriko doesn't remember poo poo

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 14, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Still holding out hope for Lagrange in Z3-2

legitimately the best recent show that isnt in SRW yet

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Rascyc posted:

I think the Gunbuster animations suck other than Buster Beam. Inazuma Kick is just so utterly anti-climatic.

From what I was told, the Gunbuster is half busted from being salvaged from a block of ice with only Noriko in it as a result of one of the quakes. Kazumi is simply not in this dimension, and I want to say Noriko doesn't remember poo poo

Inazuma Kick couldn't be too flashy so that when Kazumi comes back we can get Super Inazuma Kick. Man I hope Diebuster is in the next game. I need an Inazuma Kick combo attack or even better a Super Gainax Special.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rascyc posted:

What I mean is, why is Gunbuster more or less intact, but one of its cockpits empty? A dimension rift opened up just to scoop up Kazumi and nothing else?

Actually, in this world I guess that is completely possible. And yeah, she did briefly mention Kazumi, but only to herself.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Gunbuster in Z3 is actually post-series; Noriko and Kazumi executed the show in the previous cycle of the Wheel of 12,000 when the Ba'al previously attacked. Afterwards, presumably they had to come back as they were meant to, but somewhere along the way, Kazumi was separated and the Buster Machines were frozen in ice with Noriko in them, both probably for strictly dramatic purposes.

It's basically the return of Apocalypsis. I wouldn't be surprised if the previous cycle was literally Alpha and the Akashic Record and Origin Law are the same thing recognized separately in two different instances.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Actually, Inazuma Kick in Z3-1 ruled if you Know Your Mecha (tm). It's a callback to Episode 1. Z3 Comparison.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mercury Crusader posted:

Actually, Inazuma Kick in Z3-1 ruled if you Know Your Mecha (tm). It's a callback to Episode 1. Z3 Comparison.
drat straight. That's why I know Kazumi will be back later so they can do it properly.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I get that it's a callback but after playing Alpha 3 it's just so flacid. I'm definitely someone who looks forward to the reunion so they can do it right!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Already at Stage 16, while doing some other stuff. It's amazing how much this game can be steamrolled when on a second playthrough.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Caphi posted:

Gunbuster in Z3 is actually post-series; Noriko and Kazumi executed the show in the previous cycle of the Wheel of 12,000 when the Ba'al previously attacked. Afterwards, presumably they had to come back as they were meant to, but somewhere along the way, Kazumi was separated and the Buster Machines were frozen in ice with Noriko in them, both probably for strictly dramatic purposes.

It's basically the return of Apocalypsis. I wouldn't be surprised if the previous cycle was literally Alpha and the Akashic Record and Origin Law are the same thing recognized separately in two different instances.

wait so

...the Ba'al are...the Balmar?

:psyboom:

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Gyra_Solune posted:

wait so

No, the Ba'al are the STMC and Invaders - a cog in the 12000-year cycle, they exist to snuff out life and eradicate it (causing the cycle to start anew).

The Balmar civilization was created after Nashim and Gebel abandoned earth when it was facing extinction following a calamity (mind, this calamity could've been something akin to Z-like events but it's neither confirmed nor denied).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Gyra_Solune posted:

wait so

No, the Ba'al are the STMC (and some others? apparently?), and the STMC were also the ultimate agents of Apocalypsis. It was a neat thing Alpha 3 did - the true villain and the final battle (not counting surprise Space Satan out of nowhere who had been totally been manipulating you guys all along, honest) was actually the galactic-scale disaster of Gunbuster nearly unspoiled.

...uh, Alpha 3 spoilers, I guess.

The point is that Z's Gunbuster isn't incomplete, it's just a version of the epilogue where instead of WELCOME BAKC, it's "whoops we're doomed again can you help us out" "CAN I EVER".

Also Noriko pulling off the Inazuma Kick in the entire Gunbuster owns.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Rascyc posted:

But man, Buster Beam is so fuckin good. The dynamic kill on a whole squad is just so good.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Caphi posted:

WELCOME BAKC

This is too perfect to be a typo.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

GimmickMan posted:

This is too perfect to be a typo.

Given the ending of Gunbuster, I figured it wasn't.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

As I keep going through my second playthrough of Z2-1 (now at Stage 31), I've had another idea for a SRW game. Usually, you think up one of those by thinking about Mecha shows you like but this time I around I actually though of the original plo first: it would follow the Nomad Fleet, survivors of a destroyed planet wandering the galaxy looking for a home. The main character would be the new captain of the fleet's defense squad, or maybe the rookie bu that feels a bit too cliche. The bad guy would be using the fleet as a way to gain access to a lost world (probably Earth). You'd introduce the various series by having the Fleet come into their area, get involved in their problems, help them and then move on with a few more passengers aboard. I'd use the whole thing as an opportunity to get more obscure series in, especially ones that don't really normally fit into SRW, such as Ulysse 31.

It's fun to just think up these things.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Done! I just completed my second playthrough of Z2.1, with the scenario map completed thanks to the magic of multiple saves. This time Roger Smith gave the killing blow (first time around it was Simon).

Before I start Z2.2: the Final Insult, any tips and/or tricks I should know about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Do you want Rolo and more than three maps to use Suzaku in on your first playthrough? If so, follow the Zero Points.

That's about it.

• Locked thread