Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Prolonged Priapism posted:

So at my local used book store they have all 20 novels in paperback (same editions too). $6 each. Worth it?

I bought them all on an impulse when I found the entire series at 1/2 Price Books.

Really shouldn't have at the time as it made me broke until my next check, but as many times as I've re-read them, totally worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Prolonged Priapism posted:

So at my local used book store they have all 20 novels in paperback (same editions too). $6 each. Worth it?

You can probably find a set for cheaper on ebay (that's how I got mine), but I would buy at that price, particularly as you can see the condition first hand, rather than relying on descriptions.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
I bought mine in threes and fours via Amazon, averaged $4 per but none of them match. It would have been much cooler to have all of the spines match since they went through all the trouble with the cover art.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Dielectric posted:

I bought mine in threes and fours via Amazon, averaged $4 per but none of them match. It would have been much cooler to have all of the spines match since they went through all the trouble with the cover art.

I have I think 17 books in the Norton edition. And then I have 3 that are the UK version, which of course don't fit at all with the others. Unfortunately Norton changed the look of their books now, so I'm a bit out of luck getting them match up. At least it's not like with the German ones, which changed look (and translator) every few books and ended the hardcover edition completely somewhere around book 15. These books were the main reason why I started buying and reading English books back in the early 2000s, when it still was a pain in the rear end and very expensive to get them. I can't thank Amazon enough to make it a breeze to get them now (nor Donna Leon for recommending them in a Der Spiegel article in 1998).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I bought the awesome hardcover boxed set that condenses all the books into 5 exquisite bound volumes with nice placemarking ribbons.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm halfway through 18 and it's starting to read like Jack Aubrey's Horrible No Good Very Bad Day.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 20, 2014

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I saw a (mounted) Potto and a Hoopoe in a natural history museum last week, and now I know why Stephen was so excited about them.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

In 18, I must have missed something: how did Maturin get his fortune back after it was seized by the bank in Spain?

Oh my god Diana and Clarissa giving Sophie The Talk at ~38. I had forgotten how funny these books could be.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 20, 2014

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Arglebargle III posted:

In 18, I must have missed something: how did Maturin get his fortune back after it was seized by the bank in Spain?

He didn't have the right forms signed to transfer his money over, so it never happened.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

He didn't have the right forms signed to transfer his money over, so it never happened.

He signed the form to his bank transferring money out "Stephen" and the letter to Diana "THIS IS REALLY MY LEGAL SIGNATURE, DR STEPHEN MATURIN, DDS" and his bankers were like "I heard you wanted all the gold you put in our bank back but sorry "Stephen" if that even is your real name, you need that poo poo notarized or at least use your full name. PS thanks for the continued use of your loot."

The Lord Bude posted:

I bought the awesome hardcover boxed set that condenses all the books into 5 exquisite bound volumes with nice placemarking ribbons.

My favorite books. :allears:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

No that was a different thing. What you're talking about was back when Jack advised Stephen to transfer his money to a country bank before they left on their circumnavigation covered in Reverse of the Medal to Wine-Dark Sea. They got the news about the bank failing in Australia, and then when they finally got back it turned out like you said.

What I mean is in The Commodore, book 17, when Lord Haverbacksdale (sp?) discovers that Stephen, whom he knows killed Wray and Ledward (sp?) is guilty of returning two transported convicts and possibly treason from his involvement in the Irish rising, he brings an accusation in court. Stephen has to whisk his chests of gold from London to Spain before the case comes to court and his assets are frozen. He borrows Jack's schooner and takes his gold from London to Coruna I think, where he puts it in the bank. Then while they're off the coast of Africa taking slavers Dutord gets back from South America and denounces Stephen as the prime mover in the Peruvian independence conspiracy. So even though Haverbacksdlaghdsd kills himself and that ends the suit, Stephen can't go back to Spain to get his gold (I'm not sure if it was actually seized) and in the beginning of 18 Stephen mentions to Sir Joseph Banks that a) he lost the receipt for the bank in Coruna but then remembered he left it on Bellona or something and b) he has to borrow money from Jack, who can't lend him any because he's getting sued very successfully by slavers he captured illegally. Then like ¾ of the way through 18 Banks mentions to Stephen that he's rich again, and when he gets back Stephen tells Diana he found the receipt and everything's in order again so she can unpawn her diamond.

What I don't understand is how he ever got the money from the bank in Coruna if he's wanted in Spain. Like I said I must have missed something. I know he went on a ride through Spain with Diana, Padine, Clarissa and Bridget, but I thought they were avoiding the authorities.

I got a bit misty-eyed when Stephen listening through the door caught Bridget talking to Padine. I was really worried all through their trip to Australia and Peru that the unnamed problem with Bridget would turn out to be fetal alcohol syndrome.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Arglebargle III posted:

What I don't understand is how he ever got the money from the bank in Coruna if he's wanted in Spain. Like I said I must have missed something. I know he went on a ride through Spain with Diana, Padine, Clarissa and Bridget, but I thought they were avoiding the authorities.

I got a bit misty-eyed when [spoiler]Stephen listening through the door caught Bridget talking to Padine. I was really worried all through their trip to Australia and Peru that the unnamed problem with Bridget would turn out to be fetal alcohol syndrome.

Oh, if you don't get bleary-eyed there you've a cold-stone heart.

To your question When Stephen catches the spy in Blaine's house, the spy is a Spanish royal (or something like that, working from memory) dilettanting as a spy. The Spaniards essentially pay the money back in ransom to keep the guy un-hung and get him back safely. .)

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
I don't recall an explicit explanation but they caught the Spanish agent, Don Diego Diaz, with his "grand connexions," burgling Joseph Blaine's library - and then there are "negotiations" and Stephen shows up at the Aubreys dressed like a peacock. I think maybe some leverage was applied.

e: Yeah.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I like how Clarissa and Diana tell Sophie to have an affair with this guy that they know to learn how to do the deed better and Diana slightly later mentions to Stephen how surprisingly literal-minded Sophie is.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MAJOR SPOILERS: I can't believe Diana fell in a river and drowned while Stephen and Jack were away. Looks like Stephen can't believe it either.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 23, 2014

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
There's a game out called Naval Action that's about this very era (even has the Surprise). I've made a thread for it.

I thought I heard about it in this very thread, but I couldn't find the post.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Colonial Air Force posted:

There's a game out called Naval Action that's about this very era (even has the Surprise). I've made a thread for it.

I thought I heard about it in this very thread, but I couldn't find the post.

I've been playing Sails of Glory on the tabletop and it's pretty neat.

I've been waiting for a good age of fighting sail computer game for ages though.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

AlphaDog posted:

I've been playing Sails of Glory on the tabletop and it's pretty neat.

I've been waiting for a good age of fighting sail computer game for ages though.

I love Sails of Glory. Need to buy some more ships, though....

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Is it pathetically spergy that what I really want is more of a quarterdeck simulator than an age of sail fighting game? I don't even think I would want ship-to-ship combat to be the focus, rather just sailing to different ports and such.

"Helmsman, make your course south by south west."
"Leadsman to the chains!"
etc...

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Murgos posted:

Is it pathetically spergy that what I really want is more of a quarterdeck simulator than an age of sail fighting game? I don't even think I would want ship-to-ship combat to be the focus, rather just sailing to different ports and such.

"Helmsman, make your course south by south west."
"Leadsman to the chains!"
etc...

For that kind of thing you could try Sunless Sea by Failbetter Games.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

For PC, the Port Royale games are nice. You got some cotton! Trade it for Wool! You have wool, trade it for beer! Oh no, pirates! Sail away quickly!*

(*I may never have gotten as far as actually fighting pirates and spent most of my time with it trading planks for beer)

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Arglebargle III posted:

MAJOR SPOILERS: I can't believe Diana fell in a river and drowned while Stephen and Jack were away. Looks like Stephen can't believe it either.

I'm always a bit torn about that scene. On the one hand such things happen. Sudden, unexpected death on the road taking away loved ones from one second to the next is after all rather common. On the other hand killing Diana (and Ms. Williams) off unceremoniously between books, especially by the one thing she's always excelled at - driving a coach dangerously fast - reeks a lot like getting rid of a stale character to free Stephen for further story developments.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Decius posted:

I'm always a bit torn about that scene. On the one hand such things happen. Sudden, unexpected death on the road taking away loved ones from one second to the next is after all rather common. On the other hand killing Diana (and Ms. Williams) off unceremoniously between books, especially by the one thing she's always excelled at - driving a coach dangerously fast - reeks a lot like getting rid of a stale character to free Stephen for further story developments.

I think that he wrote it like that because his own wife died when he was writing that book.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Hogge Wild posted:

I think that he wrote it like that because his own wife died when he was writing that book.

Bingo. I've always thought that the whole tone of The Hundred Days was in a minor key as it were.

khamul
Jul 27, 2006
Shadow of the East
I read the Hornblower series as a kid, then later started and put down one of the Aubrey books (HMS Surprise, I think), but I always found the original documents from the era to be better reading than the novels. With the BBC Radio 4 broadcast of one of the series I was interested in picking up one of the Aubrey-Maturin books again. Besides reading/listening to them all in order, is there a good book to start out with in the series? I'm taking a long car trip this January to get to the Battle of New Orleans bicentennial, and a good period adventure would help kill the time.

For other books, I really have to recommend Melville's "White Jacket". It's a pretty unique look at life on an American frigate on a seemingly endless voyage around the world in the 1840s. Not much at all had changed from the navy of the 1790-1810s.

I also really like "Trafalgar: An Eyewitness Account of a Great Battle" edited by Stuart Legg. It collects in chronological order excerpts from many different gun-deck level personal accounts of the battle. I could probably dig up many more historical accounts worth reading if people are interested, but I have a lot less knowledge about good frigate novels set in the period.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

khamul posted:

I read the Hornblower series as a kid, then later started and put down one of the Aubrey books (HMS Surprise, I think), but I always found the original documents from the era to be better reading than the novels. With the BBC Radio 4 broadcast of one of the series I was interested in picking up one of the Aubrey-Maturin books again. Besides reading/listening to them all in order, is there a good book to start out with in the series? I'm taking a long car trip this January to get to the Battle of New Orleans bicentennial, and a good period adventure would help kill the time.

For other books, I really have to recommend Melville's "White Jacket". It's a pretty unique look at life on an American frigate on a seemingly endless voyage around the world in the 1840s. Not much at all had changed from the navy of the 1790-1810s.

I also really like "Trafalgar: An Eyewitness Account of a Great Battle" edited by Stuart Legg. It collects in chronological order excerpts from many different gun-deck level personal accounts of the battle. I could probably dig up many more historical accounts worth reading if people are interested, but I have a lot less knowledge about good frigate novels set in the period.

I'd encourage you to read them in order. The first book is one of the better ones in any case, and an excellent starting point.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Master and Commander is probably the best single entry in the series and introduces a ton of recurring characters so you might as well start there.

I have a weird fondness for Desolation Island.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

khamul posted:

Start from the first one. Skim as necessary. It won't matter, you'll re-read them all eventually.

khamul
Jul 27, 2006
Shadow of the East
Right then, I'll start with the first book. Does the series ever get into the larger fleet actions of the period or does O'brian mostly stick with the cruisers?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

khamul posted:

Right then, I'll start with the first book. Does the series ever get into the larger fleet actions of the period or does O'brian mostly stick with the cruisers?

Mostly sticks to the cruisers; they miss Trafalgar, oddly enough. There are a few points where they watch fleet actions with telescopes, but I think the two largest actions they find themselves directly involved in are based on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Pulo_Aura and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_of_5_October_1804. One whole book is based on the Mauritius campaign so there are multi-ship actions in that one as well.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fleet actions just sound hard to describe. It's a recurring comment from characters that have experienced them which they can't see or hear much beyond their ship and station once the battle really gets started.

khamul
Jul 27, 2006
Shadow of the East
That's true. I imagine also that serving with the main fleets was one of the least-liked duties of frigate captains, since it restricted what they could catch in terms of prizes. Most of the time the frigates attached to the fleet served as outriders, scouts, and relay vessels for signals. It makes reading about the Great Lakes battles during the War of 1812 very interesting though, since both sides used frigates, brigs, and schooners as line-of-battle ships. At the Battle of Plattsburgh, for instance, the Americans managed to do exactly what the French failed to at the Battle of the Nile, with disastrous effects on the British squadron.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I really enjoyed this series, and also the Horatio Hornblower series, but I'm just over halfway through the Alan Lewrie series by Dewey Lambdin and I am enjoying it even more.

If Horatio Hornblower is Captain Picard, Alan Lewrie is Captain Kirk.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I'm making my way through my Aubrey-Maturin audiobooks again for, like, the fifth time. I have every book narrated by Patrick Tull, and I just love that man. I'm almost through Sense and Sensibility and Sailors, and I can't get enough of the bees in Lively's great cabin.

There is so much ignorant prejudice against bees in a dining room.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I'm making my way through my Aubrey-Maturin audiobooks again for, like, the fifth time. I have every book narrated by Patrick Tull, and I just love that man. I'm almost through Sense and Sensibility and Sailors, and I can't get enough of the bees in Lively's great cabin.

There is so much ignorant prejudice against bees in a dining room.

They drank to the sentiment in three times three, bumpers all around.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

NotWearingPants posted:

I really enjoyed this series, and also the Horatio Hornblower series, but I'm just over halfway through the Alan Lewrie series by Dewey Lambdin and I am enjoying it even more.

If Horatio Hornblower is Captain Picard, Alan Lewrie is Captain Kirk.

It's strange, but after Aubrey/Maturin, I just couldn't re-read Hornblower.

They're fantastic books, but for me they just don't hold a candle.

I'll give Alan Lewrie a try.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

It's strange, but after Aubrey/Maturin, I just couldn't re-read Hornblower.

They're fantastic books, but for me they just don't hold a candle.

I agree, I read Hornblower first as a teenager and usually the books I read during that period, no matter how flawed, have a special place for me where they just seem better than other books. I tried going back to Hornblower after my latest read through of O'Brian and it's just not there. Too, cliche? Too shallow? I don't know, somethings missing.

Anyway, I think a good case could be made that Aubrey is Kirk and Maturin is an amalgam of Spock & McCoy.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Are there any of these novels written from a French perspective? It would be kinda neat seeing what a French frigate captain and crew would do.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Much more time spent describing food, much less time practicing gunnery. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Ugh. Man, I know I've read/listened to these books a dozen times already, but I just can't with Mrs. Williams. Seriously, gently caress that woman.

this mother is the most unromantic beast that ever urged its squat thick bulk across the face of the protesting earth