Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009

Lowness 72 posted:

I'm in Tokyo for the next few days and looking to try out some Japanese whiskys / buy some bottles that I can't get back in the states.

I'm generally a fan of Islays (smoke and peat) although I had a dram of this incredible whisky in Kyoto from a mt Fuji distillery that had a complex honey note. Evermore I think it was called?

Anyhow, I'm not too familiar with Japanese whiskys so I thought I'd ask here. What should I be on the lookout for? Any place in particular to scope out?
There's so many whiskey bars in Tokyo, you can't go wrong. Look for the one off bottlings. I got a Yamazaki with a Sherry finish. It was great and I'd never seen it before. If you like Islay, try hakushu. It's basically Japanese scotch, amazing.

adamarama fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

adamarama posted:

There's so many whiskey bars in Tokyo, you can't go wrong. Look for the one off bottlings. I got a Yamazaki with a Sherry finish. It was great and I'd never seen it before. If you like Islay, try hakushu. It's basically Japanese scotch, amazing.

Didn't a yamazaki with a sherry finish just win world's best whiskey?

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

Lowness 72 posted:

I'm in Tokyo for the next few days and looking to try out some Japanese whiskys / buy some bottles that I can't get back in the states.

I'm generally a fan of Islays (smoke and peat) although I had a dram of this incredible whisky in Kyoto from a mt Fuji distillery that had a complex honey note. Evermore I think it was called?

Anyhow, I'm not too familiar with Japanese whiskys so I thought I'd ask here. What should I be on the lookout for? Any place in particular to scope out?

Yeah, seconding Bar Zoetrope. Guy who runs it actually speaks pretty good English and has a crazy selection of Japanese Whisky. I had some really nice Ichiro's Malt Playing Card series whisky there (I think Queen of Clubs and one of the Jokers). Also generally a fan of the older Nikka stuff. Tends to be a little peatier.

When I was in Japan we took a trip to Yamazaki and hit up the distillery. I skipped the tour and went right to the tasting. It's a bit expensive, but I got to try the Yamazaki 25 ($24 a shot) which is totally out of this world. Hakushu 18 was quite nice as well.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

Jim Murray gave it the highest points in his latest 'Whisky Bible'.

A few of us in the old thread splurged on one of the releases a few years back. Outstanding stuff.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Leopold Stotch posted:

This is a good general rule but I've been making that "end of the road" cocktail with 1/3 islay single malt, 1/3 green chartreuse, and 1/3 campari and it is a heavenly way to end the work portion of the day.

That said, I think a smokey blended scotch or mezcal might work nicely too.

Similarly I've been doing a Negroni (Equal parts Gin, Sweet Vermouth, Campari) variant that substitutes Laphroaig or Ardbeg 10 for the gin. It's quite a good time.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

The Polish Pirate posted:

Yeah, seconding Bar Zoetrope. Guy who runs it actually speaks pretty good English and has a crazy selection of Japanese Whisky. I had some really nice Ichiro's Malt Playing Card series whisky there (I think Queen of Clubs and one of the Jokers). Also generally a fan of the older Nikka stuff. Tends to be a little peatier.

I have what I feel like is a stupid question, but do Japanese distilleries import peat for their whiskey or do they have their own peat laying around that they use?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

biglads posted:

A few of us in the old thread splurged on one of the releases a few years back. Outstanding stuff.

They didn't have any of the 2013 release at the whisky festival this weekend. :(

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

spankmeister posted:

They didn't have any of the 2013 release at the whisky festival this weekend. :(

It seems that now Big Jim has anointed it from on high, those few places that still have stock are selling at a premium.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

biglads posted:

biglads posted:

It seems that now Big Jim has anointed it from on high, those few places that still have stock are selling at a premium.

And this is why I am now in the thread and discussing. I want to find a good couple of splurges in the next couple of years before they get a popular tax/get sold out. The yamazaki sherry finish I couldn't get this week and the tasmanian drop last year (or was it earlier this year?) from Sullivan's Cove I missed out on as well despite it being from my own drat backyard

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Ever since moving from PA to SoCal, I've delighted in going into random rear end liquor stores and seeing what kind of crazy poo poo they have on their shelves. As far as whisk(e)ys go, most of them just tend to stock the usual Jack/Chivas/JW Red/etc.

Today, however, I wandered into a little corner store on my lunch break and found a decent little selection of rarities. Among the overpriced Crown Royal and Dewars bottles I found some really reasonably priced Dickel No. 12, WT Russell's Reserve, and - most unusually - a single, lonely bottle of MacPhail's Highland Park 8, a whisky that Google tells me: (1) hasn't been in circulation since 2011, and (2) is supposedly very good. Is this bottle still good after having sat on a dusty store shelf for several years?

E: Actually, a bit more Google searching turns up a couple of shops that have it in stock. Maybe I'm wrong. Still an unusual find for a dirty little corner store though.

Devil Wears Wings fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 21, 2014

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Is this bottle still good after having sat on a dusty store shelf for several years?

Most likely yes. Whisky doesn't go off. It can be affected by really bright sunlight, and if the cork dried out it'll have evaporated so look for a low level in the neck. But really these things generally only come in to play with very very old bottles so I wouldn't worry.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

And this is why I am now in the thread and discussing. I want to find a good couple of splurges in the next couple of years before they get a popular tax/get sold out. The yamazaki sherry finish I couldn't get this week and the tasmanian drop last year (or was it earlier this year?) from Sullivan's Cove I missed out on as well despite it being from my own drat backyard

Well there's a Yamazaki Bourbon Cask release. Very nice, sweet and creamy. There should be some of that kicking around. If you like a sherried scotch, look out for Glendronach Single Cask releases, all the ones I've tried have been fantastic. They come in at around £100 from memory.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

biglads posted:

Well there's a Yamazaki Bourbon Cask release. Very nice, sweet and creamy. There should be some of that kicking around. If you like a sherried scotch, look out for Glendronach Single Cask releases, all the ones I've tried have been fantastic. They come in at around £100 from memory.

Thanks for tips - my issue is that I don't quite know the names yet of the flavours and characteristics I like. Had lagavulin 16 on Wednesday and liked the smoky start of it but I don't like the laphroaig quarter cask at home for instance. Sweet and creamy yamazaki bourbon cask sounds like a good shout

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!
I just signed up for a Japanese whisky seminar at a local liquor store and I'm pretty excited, even though it's two weeks away. We'll be sampling the following:

Akashi White Oak
Hakushu 12 Year
Nikka Coffey Grain
Nikka Miyagikyo Single Malt
Nikka 15 Year Yoichi Whisky
Nikka Taketsuru 12 Year
Nikka Taketsuru 17 Year
Nikka Taketsuru 21 Year
Yamazaki 12 Year

If at least 20 people sign up they will also open a bottle of Yamazaki 18 year to sample.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Well for my last night in Tokyo I went and found Zoetrope. I was super excited.

They were closed for a private event that night. Just my luck.

Handcranked
Aug 17, 2013

lexan posted:

I just signed up for a Japanese whisky seminar at a local liquor store and I'm pretty excited, even though it's two weeks away. We'll be sampling the following:

Akashi White Oak
Hakushu 12 Year
Nikka Coffey Grain
Nikka Miyagikyo Single Malt
Nikka 15 Year Yoichi Whisky
Nikka Taketsuru 12 Year
Nikka Taketsuru 17 Year
Nikka Taketsuru 21 Year
Yamazaki 12 Year

If at least 20 people sign up they will also open a bottle of Yamazaki 18 year to sample.

I have only tried the Hakushu 12 and the Nikka Coffey Grain, and both are really awesome
(I have a burning love for the coffey grain one)

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

:siren: Trader Joe's Independent Bottling Alert! :siren:

I was at my local TJ's today and saw that they had a 17-year "mystery" Highland single-malt for $49.99. It's bottled (as usual) by Alexander Murray, and the only clue the label gives away is that it was matured in "oak casks" (duh). I checked with their liquor guy and he confirmed that it's a limited run, and once it's gone, it's gone.

The price puts it a bit outside of my "impulse buy" range, but maybe someone here is willing to chance it. :)

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
The Trader Joe's near me doesn't seem to carry whiskey or scotch :( I look so hard every time I go.

Sad Rhino
Aug 23, 2014
What's the best US online whisky store? I was going to send a bottle to a relative in California, but it turns out that posting alcohol abroad is a complete pain in the rear end/impossible.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

K&L and High-Time Wine are both based in CA and have huge selections of whiskey. I've ordered from both probably a dozen times and never had a problem.

Gregorio
Aug 9, 2010

biglads posted:

I've still got my unopened bottle from the 2010/11 era. I need to drink more of my whisky instead of just collecting :S

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

I'm making some dark chocolate whisky truffles. Which do you think would be a better choice: laphroaig or lagavulin? I feel like the sweetness of the lagavulin could go really well with the chocolate but I also think the laphroaig might come through better since the flavor's so strong.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
To me, Laphroaig is sweeter than Lagavulin. Dark chocolate and Laphroaig is Simon Brooking's goto Laphroaig pairing at whisky events.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Opinions on Bullit for use in Old Fashioneds and Sazeracs? Anything better in the ~$40 range that's commonly available (Portland OR, a reasonably sized city)?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 12, 2014

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
I hope this isn't the wrong thread for this question; I searched the first few pages and didn't see any mention of glassware. This may be a really dumb newbie question, but what are people's feelings on Glencairn glasses? I know wine glasses are frequently shaped specifically to enhance the olfactory experience of drinking, and the consensus among people trying to sell them to me are that Glencairn glasses are the "official/standard" whiskey drinking glasses.

Is this something I should take seriously, or is it hollow marketing to sucker in the novice palette?

I ended up ordering a set of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006GWQ988/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I can definitely use those for general-purpose drinking if there's something to be gained by a more specialized whiskey glass.

Thanks for the recommendations in the OP, as well! Very helpful!

(Worth noting is that this is for a gift, hence my complete obliviousness)

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

KnifeWrench posted:

I hope this isn't the wrong thread for this question; I searched the first few pages and didn't see any mention of glassware. This may be a really dumb newbie question, but what are people's feelings on Glencairn glasses? I know wine glasses are frequently shaped specifically to enhance the olfactory experience of drinking, and the consensus among people trying to sell them to me are that Glencairn glasses are the "official/standard" whiskey drinking glasses.

Is this something I should take seriously, or is it hollow marketing to sucker in the novice palette?

I ended up ordering a set of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006GWQ988/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I can definitely use those for general-purpose drinking if there's something to be gained by a more specialized whiskey glass.

Thanks for the recommendations in the OP, as well! Very helpful!

(Worth noting is that this is for a gift, hence my complete obliviousness)

Glencairns are a nice gift, especially if they're the type of person that already owns glassware specific to different styles of beer, or separate red and white wine glasses.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Hey guys, was hoping you could help me with a scotch purchase. A few friends and I are heading to a ski house for New Years and decided all of us scotch drinkers would go in in one fine bottle. I was hoping for a recommendation on something single malt, full of peat and around 200 dollars.

Hugs and kisses.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

weekly font posted:

full of peat and around 200 dollars.

Octomore?

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

I agree. If you love peat, that's definitely the way to go.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

weekly font posted:

Hey guys, was hoping you could help me with a scotch purchase. A few friends and I are heading to a ski house for New Years and decided all of us scotch drinkers would go in in one fine bottle. I was hoping for a recommendation on something single malt, full of peat and around 200 dollars.

Hugs and kisses.

Laphroaig 18 is fantastic and under $200. Really, after the $100 mark you tend to hit diminishing returns - I'd probably grab both Laphroaig cask strength and Ardbeg Uigeadail for that amount of money instead - but if you insist on a single bottle, that's what I'd get.

E: Never tried Octomore but may have to based upon the past couple of posters.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Devil Wears Wings posted:

E: Never tried Octomore but may have to based upon the past couple of posters.

It's not my favorite thing, but it's certainly worth trying if you can imo. I've had 05 and 06 iirc and everything tastes at least slightly of peat afterward.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
If you haven't tried it, don't let the PPM scare you off. It's not a peat bomb, but kind of like a timed release. If you hold the whisky in your mouth the smoke starts at a point and gradually radiates outward. No matter what serving temp, it feels warming.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 14, 2014

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

ChickenArise posted:

It's not my favorite thing, but it's certainly worth trying if you can imo. I've had 05 and 06 iirc and everything tastes at least slightly of peat afterward.

I have the 5.1, 10 year, and Scottish barley, worth every penny

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

PRADA SLUT posted:

Opinions on Bullit for use in Old Fashioneds and Sazeracs? Anything better in the ~$40 range that's commonly available (Portland OR, a reasonably sized city)?

I use Bulleit for my Old Fashioned all the time. If Evan Williams is cheaper for you that works well too.

Atomic Hotdog
Aug 23, 2007
I've never seen such confident, powerful strokes of the ass!
Could anyone help me out with a recommendation for a Christmas gift for my papa? He typically drinks Crown Royal on the rocks. Would like to stay below $60ish if possible but I'm open to suggestions.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Crown Royal.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
I saw Penny Packer bourbon for sale at the liquor store the other day. Do no buy it. They wanted like $20-something. I drank it a lot in Germany because it was like 10 euros a bottle, and all the other bourbons cost at least 2-3x that much. It is completely worth the $13-ish they charge in Germany. Basically, the make the whiskey in Kentucky, ship it to Germany in vats, bottle it in Germany, then ship it back to America and charge too much.

Atomic Hotdog posted:

Could anyone help me out with a recommendation for a Christmas gift for my papa? He typically drinks Crown Royal on the rocks. Would like to stay below $60ish if possible but I'm open to suggestions.

I bought my stepdad the fancy Crown Royal (reserve, IIRC). He liked it a lot. I couldn't tell the difference, but I'm not a Crown drinker.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

Crown Royal came out with a new blend called Monarch. David Driscoll seems to like it and it is less than $60.
http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1187551

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

posh spaz posted:

I saw Penny Packer bourbon for sale at the liquor store the other day. Do no buy it. They wanted like $20-something. I drank it a lot in Germany because it was like 10 euros a bottle, and all the other bourbons cost at least 2-3x that much. It is completely worth the $13-ish they charge in Germany. Basically, the make the whiskey in Kentucky, ship it to Germany in vats, bottle it in Germany, then ship it back to America and charge too much.

I bought my stepdad the fancy Crown Royal (reserve, IIRC). He liked it a lot. I couldn't tell the difference, but I'm not a Crown drinker.
Europeans should not touch bourbon at any point during the making process :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

I hadn't seen this, my last trip to Tokyo was in March. IDL did a cask strength Middleton sherry finish for a private bottling, it was sublime. Still my favourite sherry finish.

It's impossible to get good and affordable Bourbon here in Europe. My go to is eagle rare but that's 50 euro a bottle. It only goes up! Shame, as I'd really like to try more bourbon.