Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Blasmeister posted:

Starrcade '97's infamous Hogan/Sting match had a verbal submission. Given the rest of the circumstances around the match, its quite possible that it was done to ensure the Hulkster didn't get seen tapping out. And that Bret was the referee that already looked unreliable due to restarting a clean finish match makes it even more suspicious.

Perry Saturn matches might well have included a few verbal submissions, as the Rings of Saturn submission doesn't leave arms free to tap.

Tapping was very new to major league pro wrestling at that point so it was probably more Hogan not having adjusted to it (he'd submitted once since the change) than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

magnum_valentino posted:

Anybody know the name of the King Of The Hill episode where Peggy won't let Bobby watch (I think) Smackdown because of The Worm?

It was Hank that wouldn't let him watch because he said that the show was too old for Bobby. Bobby said that he would look away during the adult parts but Hank said that he's seen Bobby watch TV and he doesn't blink.

Also, the Worm referred to Dennis Rodman, not the move.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So I've been watching old Raws and Nitros on the Network (FOR NINE NINETY NINE) and one thing that strikes me as different from the modern-day product is how they end episodes. As in, there is an actual ending.

The main-event match may or may not have a gently caress finish, but the final minutes always cut back to the announce team where they talk about what just happened, build up the major storylines going on and promote scheduled matches happening on later shows. And then they sign off like a proper TV broadcast. None of the wishy-washy endings we see these days where Raw always runs 10-15 minutes long, there's a nonsensical brawl, either the faces or heels pose strong depending on Vince's mood that afternoon, and you don't even know when the show is ending until it cuts to black.

My question is: When did they go away from the earlier style? Say what you will about the content of mid-90s Raw/Nitro, by the end I usually have a decent idea of what's going on and what's coming next.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

attitude era was where cliffhanger endings became commonplace. couldn't tell you exactly when it started but it was definitely by 1998.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

So I've been watching old Raws and Nitros on the Network (FOR NINE NINETY NINE) and one thing that strikes me as different from the modern-day product is how they end episodes. As in, there is an actual ending.

The main-event match may or may not have a gently caress finish, but the final minutes always cut back to the announce team where they talk about what just happened, build up the major storylines going on and promote scheduled matches happening on later shows. And then they sign off like a proper TV broadcast. None of the wishy-washy endings we see these days where Raw always runs 10-15 minutes long, there's a nonsensical brawl, either the faces or heels pose strong depending on Vince's mood that afternoon, and you don't even know when the show is ending until it cuts to black.

My question is: When did they go away from the earlier style? Say what you will about the content of mid-90s Raw/Nitro, by the end I usually have a decent idea of what's going on and what's coming next.

By late 96 Nitro is pretty much a clusterfuck ending and a tease for next week.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
is there a correlation between the emergence of that style of ending and winging it booking?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Cardboard Box posted:

attitude era was where cliffhanger endings became commonplace. couldn't tell you exactly when it started but it was definitely by 1998.

MassRafTer posted:

By late 96 Nitro is pretty much a clusterfuck ending and a tease for next week.

So you're saying I've already seen the last of those endings :v:

I found the old method refreshing after getting back into wrestling this year and getting months of DQ FINISH CLUSTERFUCK BRAWL WE'RE OUTTA TIME, but so it goes, I guess.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Speaking of old Nitros, what was Big Show's billed weight when he was The Giant in WCW? Dude looks a good 100 pounds lighter than he ever did in his WWE run.

Incidentally, I'm enjoying The Giant matches way more than Big Show matches.

Benne fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 20, 2014

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Benne posted:

So you're saying I've already seen the last of those endings :v:

I found the old method refreshing after getting back into wrestling this year and getting months of DQ FINISH CLUSTERFUCK BRAWL WE'RE OUTTA TIME, but so it goes, I guess.

yeah I think there's definitely value in presenting what you're watching as if it's a sport and having a clear idea of what to look forward to next week. it makes it feel like things are actually going somewhere.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Benne posted:

Speaking of old Nitros, what was Big Show's billed weight when he was The Giant in WCW? Dude looks a good 100 pounds lighter than he ever did in his WWE run.

Incidentally, I'm enjoying The Giant matches way more than Big Show matches.

7 feet tall and 450 pounds.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Luigi Thirty posted:

7 feet tall and 450 pounds.

Either I'm getting whooshed or WCW was even more hilarious than I thought at fudging numbers, because not even the camera adding 10 pounds could make The Giant look like 450.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Benne posted:

Either I'm getting whooshed or WCW was even more hilarious than I thought at fudging numbers, because not even the camera adding 10 pounds could make The Giant look like 450.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1996-07-02/features/9607020326_1_giant-big-man-karate-kid

quote:

His real name is Paul Wight, but he wants to be called The Giant. And since he's 7-foot-2, 450 pounds and still growing, believe it or not, that's exactly what we'll call him. Or you can call him "Champ," because The Giant is the World Championship Wrestling heavyweight champion. His next major battle is Sunday at the "Bash at the Beach" (pay-per-view, 6 p.m. Central Time).

Also :lol:

quote:

The Giant, who has been wrestling professionally for only one year, will make his acting debut this fall in "Reggie's Prayer." The movie also features football great Reggie White, Pat Morita ("Karate Kid"), ex-NFLer Rosey Grier and rapper Hammer. The Giant portrays a thug/drug dealer, and White is a high school teacher/football coach who tries to help some of the students make the right choices.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
RIP Reggie go Packers

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Under the vegetable fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Nov 20, 2014

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

RacistGuidingLight posted:

RIP Reggie go Packers

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I think we need to watch this movie.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Benne posted:

Say what you will about the content of mid-90s Raw/Nitro, by the end I usually have a decent idea of what's going on and what's coming next.

You mean like Thunder? :v:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

MassRafTer posted:

By late 96 Nitro is pretty much a clu

Tony: We're out of room! We'll see the rest of this post on the next page!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

sportsgenius86 in the stupid/TNA fans thread posted:

the best is the one reply to this claiming that HHH stole the heel owner role from Dixie, as if it had never been done before TNA arrived

Who was the first heel owner/promoter anyway? Find it hard to believe someone didn't do it before Vince in 1997. On a related note if you generalize it a bit further, who was the first heel authority figure?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Thauros posted:

Who was the first heel owner/promoter anyway? Find it hard to believe someone didn't do it before Vince in 1997. On a related note if you generalize it a bit further, who was the first heel authority figure?

Generally in the territory days promoters/commissioners were faces. They were usually there to even up the odds. Like Randy Hales in Memphis, or Bill Watts in Texas/Louisiana. Or for WWE purposes, Jack Tunney.

It very well may have been tried elsewhere first, but I'd be stuck to figure out where. Vince and Eric were certainly the first successful ones.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Thauros posted:

Vince was doing his heel gimmick in USWA in 1993:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGbVMMbi6nE

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

Vince was doing his heel gimmick in USWA in 1993:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGbVMMbi6nE

Yeah, but he wasn't the owner/promoter in those cases. Not of the USWA, anyways.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Yeah, but he wasn't the owner/promoter in those cases. Not of the USWA, anyways.

Yeah, the Memphis invasion thing is interesting as the origin of his heel character, but an outsider heel is different from having the guy in charge of your promotion either in reality or kayfabe be a heel.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Thauros posted:

Yeah, the Memphis invasion thing is interesting as the origin of his heel character, but an outsider heel is different from having the guy in charge of your promotion either in reality or kayfabe be a heel.

That said, those promos are great. You have not lived until you've seen Vince McMahon do a credible Gomer Pyle impression, in the context of a wrestling promo.

I also love the "Death, Taxes & Randy Savage" promo.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Luigi Thirty posted:

he's... 450 pounds and still growing,

This part was accurate.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I wouldn't say Jack Tunney was a heel so much as hard nosed neutral. He just kind of did things whether it was popular or not, like vacating belts when things got weird. And suspending Danny Davis forever for being a crooked referee.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

DeathChicken posted:

I wouldn't say Jack Tunney was a heel so much as hard nosed neutral. He just kind of did things whether it was popular or not, like vacating belts when things got weird. And suspending Danny Davis forever for being a crooked referee.

Jack Tunney wasn't a heel, or a face. Jack Tunney was incompetent. That's what I loved about him.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

Jack Tunney is basically Bud Selig

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Generally in the territory days promoters/commissioners were faces. They were usually there to even up the odds. Like Randy Hales in Memphis, or Bill Watts in Texas/Louisiana. Or for WWE purposes, Jack Tunney.

It very well may have been tried elsewhere first, but I'd be stuck to figure out where. Vince and Eric were certainly the first successful ones.

Stanley Blackburn in the AWA wasn't a heel, but goddamn did every decision "he" made pissed off the fans. (Verne was the one really making all the decisions)

There was one incident in '87 or '88 where Greg Gagne beat Curt Hennig for the AWA World Title in a steel cage match. Afterwards, the belt was returned to Hennig. Why? Because according to Blackburn titles can't change hands in a steel cage match. It was basically the ol' Dusty finish (and who in their right mind would put the World Title on Greg Gagne), but holy poo poo if that didn't piss people off. There was even an interview with Greg where he said the contract he signed specifically stated that it was a title match. And Blackburn was like "Nope, don't care what the contract says, the World title can't change hands in a steel cage match."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Red posted:

Jack Tunney is basically Bud Selig

Does that make Vince Sepp Blatter?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Davros1 posted:

Stanley Blackburn in the AWA wasn't a heel, but goddamn did every decision "he" made pissed off the fans. (Verne was the one really making all the decisions)

There was one incident in '87 or '88 where Greg Gagne beat Curt Hennig for the AWA World Title in a steel cage match. Afterwards, the belt was returned to Hennig. Why? Because according to Blackburn titles can't change hands in a steel cage match. It was basically the ol' Dusty finish (and who in their right mind would put the World Title on Greg Gagne), but holy poo poo if that didn't piss people off. There was even an interview with Greg where he said the contract he signed specifically stated that it was a title match. And Blackburn was like "Nope, don't care what the contract says, the World title can't change hands in a steel cage match."

Were the fans actually behind Greg Gagne? Was he ever over outside of a tag-team?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Halloween Jack posted:

Were the fans actually behind Greg Gagne? Was he ever over outside of a tag-team?

I think it was mostly, "he's a good guy, so I guess we cheer for him, and want him to win. "

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I think for the most part we didnt see a lot of heel authority figures in WWF because of how many good heel managers they had. Fills the same general role but without the part where you have to set up the actual company running the show as evil.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Davros1 posted:

hey if that actually got greg loving gagne some babyface sympathy and kept the belt far away from him (and on hennig) i say it's a genius idea.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Gagne getting cheered was more due to Hennig being an effective heel than Gagne being liked by anyone.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Gagne was perfectly serviceable and relatively over in the role he had, perpetual upper midcarder.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Gagne was perfectly serviceable and relatively over in the role he had, perpetual upper midcarder.

I know you're right, but it's hard to watch old AWA stuff and wonder, "Why are we cheering for Greg Brady?".

omgomgomg
Oct 26, 2012

With all the horror movie characters they have, has the WWE ever legitimately tried to make a "undertaker 2.0"? In the sense of having a supernatural top always maineventer.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I don't know if he is a top or a bottom but Kane was pretty literally Undertaker 2.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omgomgomg
Oct 26, 2012

Yeah but, why didn't they ever invest in anyone as much as taker?