Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

...um...er...what's Red Dwarf?

:stare:

CobiWann.... I.... CobiWann..... :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CobiWann posted:

Good lord.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

AndyElusive posted:

I thought I would just pop in here and share this video. Has this been shared here already? I get a kick out of this guys impression of Patrick Troughton and his Capaldi isn't too drat shabby either. He really nails the Second Doctor though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AGz7LXZokg

Really makes me want more situations where the Doctor encounters earlier and future versions of himself, like with what happened in Time Crash.

Or say, if it was a reincarnation of the Second Doctor as The Curator?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiXKWah2V8o

This guy is drat good. Like better than Frazer, and that's saying a lot. One thing about Frazer's imitation of Troughton, which I noticed a lot in the Audio Go anniversary story, is that he tends to always imitate Troughton in one particular meter and way of speaking, but Troughton had several more vocal tics and ways of expressing himself. This guy does a great job of a slower speaking, more low key Second Doctor.

I'm also glad they are getting a soundalike to do Pertwee for some episodes. I understand the whole "respect to the actors thing," but the role itself has been recast since 1966. Hell, even Hartnell was recast in The Five Doctors (and most recently in a way, by David Bradley). For me, the whole joy of a time traveling franchise is there can always be new adventures at any point in the canon, and if I can pick up a read a brand new 1st, 2nd or 3rd Doctor book, it'd be great to hear a brand new story. And recasting an audio only role is far easier than a visual one. I also fully believe they should do whatever it takes to get David Bradley to voice some full cast audios with Carole Ann Ford and William Russell!

I get this is only my opinion and a lot of people will feel strongly otherwise, but I would pay top dollar for that, full cast 3rd Doctor audios, and more of Frazer doing 2nd Doctor stories. I am also a bit miffed that Joseph Lidster, who is basically the showrunner of Big Finish Dark Shadows, won't consider recasting Barnabas, Julia, and other key roles to play alongside David Selby, Lara Parker, and the rest of the living cast. Particularly odd since soap operas are known for blatantly recasting!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Red Dwarf was a hilarious comedy series about the last human being in the universe, the hologram of his most despised work associate, a fussy robot and a humanoid cat sailing endlessly through an almost entirely empty universe trying to get back to Earth even though the once super-intelligent (now completely mad after 3million years of isolation) computer that runs the ship has assured them that probability dictates the human race is now extinct.

The show kind of went off the rails as the years went on and one of the original creators moved on, but the early season stuff is kind of amazing - poignant in parts but mostly just outrageously funny (Polymorph is one of the funniest things I've ever seen), it's a tremendous show that does incredibly well with a tiny budget. In fact as the years went on and it got more popular and a bigger budget, a lot of the charm of the early seasons was lost.

Edit: Here's a clip from Wax World, another favorite episode of mine.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Astroman posted:

Or say, if it was a reincarnation of the Second Doctor as The Curator?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiXKWah2V8o

This guy is drat good. Like better than Frazer, and that's saying a lot. One thing about Frazer's imitation of Troughton, which I noticed a lot in the Audio Go anniversary story, is that he tends to always imitate Troughton in one particular meter and way of speaking, but Troughton had several more vocal tics and ways of expressing himself. This guy does a great job of a slower speaking, more low key Second Doctor.

I'm also glad they are getting a soundalike to do Pertwee for some episodes. I understand the whole "respect to the actors thing," but the role itself has been recast since 1966. Hell, even Hartnell was recast in The Five Doctors (and most recently in a way, by David Bradley). For me, the whole joy of a time traveling franchise is there can always be new adventures at any point in the canon, and if I can pick up a read a brand new 1st, 2nd or 3rd Doctor book, it'd be great to hear a brand new story. And recasting an audio only role is far easier than a visual one. I also fully believe they should do whatever it takes to get David Bradley to voice some full cast audios with Carole Ann Ford and William Russell!

I get this is only my opinion and a lot of people will feel strongly otherwise, but I would pay top dollar for that, full cast 3rd Doctor audios, and more of Frazer doing 2nd Doctor stories. I am also a bit miffed that Joseph Lidster, who is basically the showrunner of Big Finish Dark Shadows, won't consider recasting Barnabas, Julia, and other key roles to play alongside David Selby, Lara Parker, and the rest of the living cast. Particularly odd since soap operas are known for blatantly recasting!

I really thought that they should've gotten voice-alikes for One, Two and Three and then gotten the other actors in to record brief bits of dialogue for the thirteen Doctors part of The Day of the Doctor. Use archival footage for their video shots on the monitors, but have new dialogue, maybe even some interaction or responses. As it is it's a bit too obvious it's playing random clips that don't really fit in.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I marathoned it with the ex a while ago and loved it.

All 10 series are on Netflix I think, Cobi.

Next you're gonna say you never watched Blackadder then.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Ok, I'll add it to my list...

Green Wing, Black Books, The Book Group, Blake's 7, Red Dwarf, and my wife's trying to get me into Arrow. I'm swamped!

And I HAVE seen Blackadder. All of them. The end of Blackadder Goes Forth made me cry, I admit it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MikeJF posted:

I really thought that they should've gotten voice-alikes for One, Two and Three and then gotten the other actors in to record brief bits of dialogue for the thirteen Doctors part of The Day of the Doctor. Use archival footage for their video shots on the monitors, but have new dialogue, maybe even some interaction or responses. As it is it's a bit too obvious it's playing random clips that don't really fit in.

I think there is a fine line you've got to walk and that Day of the Doctor did it pretty well. I got a massive thrill at hearing,"Calling the War Council of Gallifrey.... this is the Doctor!" but any more than that might have been a step too far.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

CobiWann posted:

Green Wing, Black Books, The Book Group, Blake's 7, Red Dwarf, and my wife's trying to get me into Arrow. I'm swamped!

And I HAVE seen Blackadder. All of them. The end of Blackadder Goes Forth made me cry, I admit it.

Bad Education is also good if you like cringe comedy and Michelle Gomez and Harry Enfield.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I think there is a fine line you've got to walk and that Day of the Doctor did it pretty well. I got a massive thrill at hearing,"Calling the War Council of Gallifrey.... this is the Doctor!" but any more than that might have been a step too far.

The 'Calling the War Council of Gallifrey' was perfect., but things like 'cross the boundaries from one universe from another!' line kicks me out and some of the others are too obviously random.

I'm not saying that there should've been more dialog, just that they could've recorded responses that were about the situation instead of using generic archival clips, especially from Four to Eight where the actors are still around.

CobiWann posted:

Red Dwarf is top priority. That's just fundamental.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

CobiWann posted:

You're dead.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

2house2fly posted:

You're dead.

Everybody's dead, 2house2fly.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Ok, this is just really well done and hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8dyaN4yW_0

Oh Missy you're so fine, your so fine you blow my mind, hey Missy

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Astroman posted:

That's orders of magnitude better than I expected it to be.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Astroman posted:

God I really hope to see her back again, she's so great.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

oh god it's gone and gotten stuck in my head now

... how appropriate.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Here, use this to get it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3t3IKlXqFU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Doctor Who
Produced by: Rick Berman and Brannon Braga

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I'm not clicking play. Last time I heard that song, I was tapping it out for days.

oh missy you're so fine you're so fine you blow my mind hey missy gaaaaaaaAAAAAAH I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm not clicking play. Last time I heard that song, I was tapping it out for days.

There's always The Rimmer Experience instead...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

MikeJF posted:

There's always The Rimmer Experience instead...

I have to get out of this thread, it's going to be tHE'S ARNOLD, ARNOLD, ARNOLD RIMMER

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

I have to get out of this thread, it's going to be tHE'S ARNOLD, ARNOLD, ARNOLD RIMMER

HE'S ALSO A FAN-TAS-TIC SWIMMER

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I hope that Series XI is still on the way. I actually quite enjoyed Back to Earth and Series X!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

What little I could stomach of Back to Earth (not much!) was awful but I thought Series X ranged from okay to pretty good, which was definitely a big step up from some of the latter seasons.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CobiWann posted:

Red Dwarf is a cheesy British science fiction show. Premise: The last living human in the universe tries to get home. This sort of explains the set up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyKF2qd0-iQ

Due to an accident he was in stasis for millions of years, they are millions of years from home at top speed, and they don't know if Homo Sapiens still exists anywhere in the universe. His companions are a loopy AI, a hologram of his dead annoying room mate, and the last descendant of his cat, a humanoid named Cat. Soon they find a servile android. The 5 of them have adventures.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

God I really hope to see her back again, she's so great.

Seeing that video you can really appreciate all her little facial movements and looks. Reminds me a lot of the high points of Simm's portrayal, particularly when he was in smug Harold Saxon mugging mode ("It's a gas mask").

I mean, tell me this isn't 100% Missy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0RvDZFN71A
BANANAS! :allears:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
My favorite episode of Red Dwarf also happens to be relevant to the last conversation we had. White Hole is really funny to me, for some reason.

http://youtu.be/TxWN8AhNER0

Red Dwarf X was remarkably good for what it was, I'd rate it with some of the better seasons of the show's original run. I think my favorite part was that they didn't update any of the set design or technology; it's all still an industrial 1990s future, and it looks exactly like it should.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cleretic posted:

My favorite episode of Red Dwarf also happens to be relevant to the last conversation we had. White Hole is really funny to me, for some reason.

http://youtu.be/TxWN8AhNER0

Red Dwarf X was remarkably good for what it was, I'd rate it with some of the better seasons of the show's original run. I think my favorite part was that they didn't update any of the set design or technology; it's all still an industrial 1990s future, and it looks exactly like it should.

Yeah, Series 7 and 8 went all out with the CGI which meant it dated really badly. The decision to go back to models and that more Aliens-esque aesthetic was definitely a good one.

To bring things relevant to this thread, the TARDIS was included in one of the Red Dwarf models used for a few years, although I don't think it is ever clear onscreen: http://www.timey-wimey.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/sJesBXZ2bg.jpg

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 35 days!

MikeJF posted:

HE'S ALSO A FAN-TAS-TIC SWIMMER

HE WILL NEV-ER NEED A ZIM-MER :corsair:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

The end of Blackadder Goes Forth makes everyone cry.

Except Michael Gove, of course.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

HE WILL NEV-ER NEED A ZIM-MER :corsair:

HE WILL NEVER BE MISTAKEN FOR YUL BRYNNER
HE'S NOT BALD AND HIS HEAD DOESN'T GLIMMER

So, um, while we're on the topic.... One of my favourite BBC sitcoms is actually Dad's Army. :blush:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Astroman posted:

I am also a bit miffed that Joseph Lidster, who is basically the showrunner of Big Finish Dark Shadows, won't consider recasting Barnabas, Julia, and other key roles to play alongside David Selby, Lara Parker, and the rest of the living cast. Particularly odd since soap operas are known for blatantly recasting!

Andrew Collins plays Barnabas Collins in the 2 full cast Dark Shadows mini-series BF's done.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
I finished up Dark Eyes 3 last night, and I'm still gathering my thoughts, but I largely enjoyed it. The highlight for me was definitely part 3, Masterplan, in which Eight and the Master are stuck in the storage hold of an exploding spaceship together. The Master has a wonderfully defining moment in which the Doctor makes a snide remark about his arch-enemy's constant cheating of death, and the Master's response is basically a victorious, almost desperate, "SEE, you ARE impressed!" He's so happy to get what he can from the Doctor. The ending leaves a few things open, but it's hard to see where they're going to go next. I'm expecting more Dalek Time Controller shenanigans for DE4, but gently caress knows if the Eminence story is done with or not. Oh, and I'm really glad Liv's a fully-fledged companion at this point. I really like her!

"Sontar, m'dear. And it seems not a moment too soon."

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Wait, don’t tell me that’s Colin Baker. Don’t.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
I agree that Dark eyes 3 was pretty good. I'm just getting fatigued by the continuing story-line.
I just (re-)listened them from the start and having a 12 hour (soon 16!) epic adventure is bit too much.
Hopefully they ease up after the part 4 and have some individual episodes / box-sets for the eight.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Is Dark Eyes something one can just jump into or does it build off previous audios?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

docbeard posted:

Is Dark Eyes something one can just jump into or does it build off previous audios?

Mostly independent series. New companion, new story-arc with small references to earlier companions at the start.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.

docbeard posted:

I think listening to what comes before gives you a little extra context but I jumped straight into it and didn't have any trouble following along.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CobiWann posted:

Have you seen Blackadder Back and Forth as well, or just the four series? If not, get to it. You're a disappointment to us all until you've caught up on your pro'er British telly programs.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
Counterpoint: don't watch Back and Forth, it's not very good.

BUT: watch The Cavalier Years and Blackadder's Christmas Carol if you haven't already done so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you seen Blackadder Back and Forth as well, or just the four series? If not, get to it. You're a disappointment to us all until you've caught up on your pro'er British telly programs.

Look, how about this? Instead of my plan of watching True Detective, I’ll spend this upcoming Thanksgiving weekend binging through Eastenders from the very beginning, and once I’m all caught up, I’ll start on my list. Happy?

• Locked thread