Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Jaime and Bronn, buddy cops going to Dorne sounds fine, but a literal brawl involving sand snakes and areo hotah and trystane for some reason is pretty weird.

The only downside is that Bronn's off with Jaimie instead of playing his miniature game of thrones. I want to see Lord Bronn FuckDaNobles seizing some power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

kcroy posted:

I want Jaime to discover magical powers and shoot his golden hand using lightning out his stump.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I just want all Jaime scenes to be the cut out of him with booze in his hook.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Just read some horseshit that the book will be out June next year. Yeah uh huh sure, gurm :rolleyes:

Fool me once? Shame on me. Fool me every year for a decade? Shame on you

See you guys in 2017

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
The fact that you're posting that demonstrates your denial.

Hope springs eternal.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Trivia posted:

The fact that you're posting that demonstrates your denial.

Hope springs eternal.

And unless that article just came out whatever they're talking about is wrong:

http://www.vcpost.com/articles/28130/20140929/game-of-thrones-winds-of-winter-release-date-2015-impossible-according-uk-publisher.htm

quote:

"Game of Thrones" fans will have to wait a longer time for the release of the sixth installment of George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series, "Winds of Winter." Rumors about the book being released next year have been circulating recently but UK publisher Jane Johnson finally put an end to all speculations by saying that a 2015 release is impossible.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Something seems off about that quote... let's see:

quote:

"Game of Thrones" fans will have to wait a longer time for the release of the sixth installment of George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series, "Winds of Winter." Rumors about the book being released next year have been circulating recently but UK publisher Jane Johnson finally put an end to all speculations by saying that a release is impossible.

That's better.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

like gold pimpin rocket hand? That would be sweet.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

"The stress that comes with writing"

Lmao gurm you corpulent turd. Maybe you should have just finished the loving book 6 years ago. Instead he gets to watch his magnum opus get co opted and finished by hbo

Can't wait to get wildcards'd by the show in a year or two (which isnt even good anymore uuuugggghhghh)

Oberst
May 24, 2010

I don't even want to read the loving thing except for fact I've been following this lovely series for 10+ years. I just wish he had died in 2007, so I could pretend everything went out on a high note and not sunk in a hole in the ground with poo poo in my dick and brown water oozing out my distended rear end in a top hat

A boy can dream of neeps and capones roasting and glistening can't he?

Oberst fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 20, 2014

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's probably the least surprising thing I've heard all year.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Just finished reading the books. Woo being sick.

The most annoying change bar none in the last two books is changing the chapter headings from "barristan" to "the discarded knight" or whatever. Overall though, the actual writing is better than I was lead to believe... even though I have no idea how he'll resolve all those plot threads. For one thing they should have just let Brienne stay dead. Also I was hoping that instead of a pretend hound they also raised him from the dead so we'd get another run of Rory McCann in the show.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Skeesix posted:

For one thing they should have just let Brienne stay dead. Also I was hoping that instead of a pretend hound they also raised him from the dead so we'd get another run of Rory McCann in the show.

Hound ain't dead.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Skeesix posted:

The most annoying change bar none in the last two books is changing the chapter headings from "barristan" to "the discarded knight" or whatever. Overall though, the actual writing is better than I was lead to believe... even though I have no idea how he'll resolve all those plot threads. For one thing they should have just let Brienne stay dead. Also I was hoping that instead of a pretend hound they also raised him from the dead so we'd get another run of Rory McCann in the show.

you hosed up

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Skeesix posted:

Overall though, the actual writing is better than I was lead to believe...

I finished ADWD recently and while it took me a long time to really get into it, by the end I must admit I was really hooked because I was expecting something huge. But that ending... it was such a wet fart that my opinion of the whole thing just did a complete 180°. Looking back on it, absolutely nothing remotely relevant to the plot had happened. The whole book was just a huge filler with absolutely no payoff. GRRM could have easily cut half of those Daenerys/Tyrion chapters but he clearly had no idea what he wanted to do with those characters.

ADWD is basically GRRM's version of a christmas special.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
i think jon betraying his oath and the civil war brewing in the north is kind of plotty.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

jsoh posted:

i think jon betraying his oath and the civil war brewing in the north is kind of plotty.

Yeah, I liked those chapters. I also liked Varys' appearance, and the few dorne chapters too. It's mostly the Daenerys/Tyrion copout that pissed me off, considering he dedicated half of his book to it.

As I said, I was mostly enjoying it until I realized he had just delayed the climax of his book to the next installment.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

I finished ADWD recently and while it took me a long time to really get into it, by the end I must admit I was really hooked because I was expecting something huge. But that ending... it was such a wet fart that my opinion of the whole thing just did a complete 180°. Looking back on it, absolutely nothing remotely relevant to the plot had happened. The whole book was just a huge filler with absolutely no payoff. GRRM could have easily cut half of those Daenerys/Tyrion chapters but he clearly had no idea what he wanted to do with those characters.

In case you're not aware, the publisher said "gently caress you grrm, we're not waiting any longer" and literally released the book without the climax (to the North stories, anyway).

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Skeesix posted:

The chapter headings got to me as well.

Other than the Renfaire prose, the archaic flavourings, lovely editing, laundry lists of heraldry and foodstuffs, the nonsensical repetition of catch phrases and overall bloat I thought the writing was just super.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Junkenstein posted:

In case you're not aware, the publisher said "gently caress you grrm, we're not waiting any longer" and literally released the book without the climax (to the North stories, anyway).

I wasn't aware of that. I guess he probably would have had more time to write that climax if he'd spent less time on his side project "The Adventures of Huckleberry Lannister, World Cyvasse Champion" :v:

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

But that ending... it was such a wet fart

heh

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

jsoh posted:

The North sections redeem the book. Wyman Manderly being a scheming badass, the Bolton Alliance collapsing in Winterfell, Mance loving poo poo up, Lady Dustin and the reveals that Aerys was pretty much right to suspect everybody (!), Melisandre turning out to be decent, Stannis building a master plan to crush the opposing forces in the village, secret from almost everyone...proving once again that he is the best military mind in the books by far (something that many readers miss). Jon is the most boring part of the North plotline in ADWD.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

^^^^ Shame that he's such a zealot. He'll probably be poised to drive off Bolton's attack but (WoW stuff) instead of beheading Theon at the weirwood tree he'll insist on burning him and the clans will abandon him because he disrespects the(ir) old gods and then Stannis will get taken to Bolten, executed, and his blood/skin used to pen the letter to Jon or something.

Junkenstein posted:

I'm hoping the Publisher or HBO has a hard set date where GRRMhas to have WoW's stuff written, otherwise the rights to finish the story can be assigned to someone else.

Though knowing out luck we'd end up with Rothfuss being asked to finish ASOIAF and Winds of Winter would be 800 pages of Bran learning how to use his abilities with the occasional warging to try and find his family members.

AtAt-de-fay posted:

The chapter headings got to me as well.

Other than the Renfaire prose, the archaic flavourings, lovely editing, laundry lists of heraldry and foodstuffs, the nonsensical repetition of catch phrases and overall bloat I thought the writing was just super.

I like the chapter headings for Arya, but it should've stayed her thing because with everyone else it's pretty dumb. Especially Barristan.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 20, 2014

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

DarkCrawler posted:

Aerys was pretty much right to suspect everybody (!)

how so?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Please post trigger warnings before any plausible speculation of Stannis' death

tia

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
They look woode...oh.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_nkZ-Y2XhU

The adaptation of the original series

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
whos the asian

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
~~~Renly's waifu :3:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_nkZ-Y2XhU

The adaptation of the original series

So excited for the game.

Also, in that past article:

quote:

The 65-year old bestselling author further elaborates on Digital Spy (via BeautyWorldNews.com) that he is taking his time to finish his draft.
"I've given up making any prediction on that. I'm just writing it and when it's done, it'll be done."

Other reports suggest, moreover, that part of the reason for the delay is Martin's health.
Kdramastars reports that the author needs to keep his health up which has been suffering lately because of the stress that comes with writing "Winds of Winter."

That poor boy. Maybe he needs to rest in his own theater a lil longer in between 'Con appearances. Stop traveling everywhere you idiot. I'm really starting to believe that GRRM just don't give a gently caress. If I was his age, as gluttonous, and making millions from someone else using my work.. poo poo can we blame him? I'd do it easily. Let HBO make the ending, then write that with some more details of food and there you go.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
He pretty much pulled a George Lucas except he didn't wait for someone to actually absolve him of responsibility.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

He pretty much pulled a George Lucas except he didn't wait for someone to actually absolve him of responsibility.

"This pedophilia is good in context" -both Georges

"No it is actually bad" -everyone else

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012
"It's like poetry, it rhymes" - George R.R. Martin

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Pong Daddy posted:

"It's like poetry, it rhymes" - George R.R. Martin

"This guy Martin has got us all by the balls. His fingers are in our wallets. Get your finger out of my rear end wallet!"

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
It's gonna be great.

It's gonna be great.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
"These Starks are useless, Lannisters cut through them like butter."

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

What kind of butter? Garlic? Was it drizzled over any poultry? What accompanied the poultry? Was it in a trencher?

Oberst
May 24, 2010

syscall girl posted:

"This pedophilia is good in context" -both Georges

"No it is actually bad" -everyone else

Smdh idk about you, but the consensual fingerbang rape of a 12 year old is what really sold me on the book. Especially after it became regular rape the next chapter! !

Agot - come for the rape, stay for the lamprey pie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Aurain posted:

What kind of butter? Garlic? Was it drizzled over any poultry? What accompanied the poultry? Was it in a trencher?

With lemoncakes*!

*rape