Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

signalnoise posted:

I'm looking to scratch an itch from an idea I have in my mind. My ideal game right now:

Giant robots/mecha
Interchangeable wysiwyg parts
50mmish scale (for the fun of painting)
Warmachine-like location damage
Low mini count
Arena battle
Easy to learn rules

Anyone know a game like this?

http://www.mechafront.com/

Still working on backer fulfillment though, but it meets all of the above... except for the rules, which I haven't actually managed to see yet.

This is the guy who made the initial Robotech proposal to Palladium, before they told him it wasn't going to work and then turned around and took the idea to someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

signalnoise posted:

I'm looking to scratch an itch from an idea I have in my mind. My ideal game right now:

Giant robots/mecha
Interchangeable wysiwyg parts
50mmish scale (for the fun of painting)
Warmachine-like location damage
Low mini count
Arena battle
Easy to learn rules

Anyone know a game like this?

Battletech :v:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Actually Battletech for real, I've heard great stuff about the new quick-play Alpha Strike. Plus you can get clix mechs pretty cheap these days and they paint up nice.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Play Arena Rex but reskin it as mecha instead of gladiators and use larger minis.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Alpha Strike you say...

Yeah I had looked at Battletech but it seemed pretty cumbersome. Looks like this might be the way to go, though I am concerned seeing all these minis on like 25mm hex bases. Mechs are a lot of detail for such a small mini :/

JoshTheStampede posted:

Play Arena Rex but reskin it as mecha instead of gladiators and use larger minis.

Pretty much what I want, yeah

edit:
Any of you guys have any experience with Heavy Gear Arena? Is that garbage or worth playing or what?

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 18, 2014

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Mobile Frame Zero is pretty good for mecha combat. Jovian and Heavy Gear are also good but even more spergy and crunch heavy than Btech. Well, they aren't too bad as long as you stay on the ground, space combat is where the rules get heavy.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I dunno I looked at Heavy Gear Arena specifically and it looked pretty streamlined. I'm going to try the free quickstart rules with some proxy bases and see what happens in a couple weekends. I poked the battletech thread but from what they're saying battletech is never meant to be streamlined really. You can get to be really good at the rules but the alpha strike book is there to streamline for the purpose of playing larger games, not just to make the game faster.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

signalnoise posted:

Any of you guys have any experience with Heavy Gear Arena? Is that garbage or worth playing or what?

Not personally, but I believe it has a good reputation.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

How about Dust: Battlefield? I mean for playing with 3D terrain, not Dust: Tactics. Does the Dust family suck or does it just not get much play? Someone explain Dust's lack of popularity to me, I read the rules and it makes sense to me, so I don't know what I'm not getting. The minis look rad.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
I think Dust shot itself in the foot by having so many different versions / revisions. To an outsider, it's pretty hard to distinguish them. Also, and this may no longer be true in the latest stuff, I got put off by huge models with very short-range weapons stomping about a tiny board. I appreciate a small play area but it just looked silly.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Dust - Basic game played on a grid
Dust: Battlefiled - Basic game played without a grid, 3d terrain/movement.
Dust: Warfare - totally seperate game using the dust figures.

Ive played Dust, and Dust Warfare, havent tried battlefield yet.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Welp I went ahead and bought a fuckload of Dust stuff anyways because FFG is having a super crazy sale on it. The bigass 6-leg walkers even are down to like 9 bucks apiece. So I'll be able to speak to it soon I guess.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

signalnoise posted:

Welp I went ahead and bought a fuckload of Dust stuff anyways because FFG is having a super crazy sale on it. The bigass 6-leg walkers even are down to like 9 bucks apiece. So I'll be able to speak to it soon I guess.

Battlefield replaced Warfare, which FFG retained the rights to even after their contract ended. Battlefield is what Dust came up with to replace it with their new publisher, Battlefront. All the games use the same minis though, and I'm pretty sure FFG is just dumping their final stock of Warfare branded gear.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah, so far I've been able to get a lot of that factual information, but no one really telling me whether the game is good or bad, or if it's fun or not. It'll be a neat experiment. On the super awesome side I found out also that there's a difference between the Dust Studio lines of minis (official stuff from FFG) and the Dust 48 lines (unassembled stuff direct from dust-models.com). So turns out only the Studio stuff is tournament legal, not that I'd play them, but it sets my completionist bent at ease because while I thought I was seeing a limited selection at FFG, I actually ended up getting nearly every box that is available right now for Allies and Axis factions. So it's really a smaller game than I realized.

Hopefully it continues to be super cheap from time to time. I'd love to get the rest at 20% of retail.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

When you run out of FFG Warfare branded boxes, try the new Tactics boxes and the new Studio store, there's a third faction and everything. They just completed a KS I was too short on cash to back, lots of new stuff due to come from that soon as well.

http://www.flamesofwar.com/gf9online_store.aspx?CategoryID=13488

On why it's not so popular, I think part of the problem is that they launched a minis game with a small amount of stuff, and used a boardgame outfit as their publisher. Not enough publicity, not enough units to suggest longevity and sustain interest, and FFG didn't seem to know how to do it properly. On the one hand, the lessons FFG learned from this really helped them succeed with X Wing. On the other, Dust had to start from scratch again with a new publisher, which added the already mentioned "too many versions" problem.

This is what I found when I was doing some due diligence while the Operation Babylon kickstarter was on anyway.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Nov 20, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's also really unclear where the jumping-on point is, plus it falls into the 'unpopular because it's unpopular' (ie: "... but I don't know anyone who plays") trap that a lot of new miniatures wargames encounter. I feel like it also came out in a glut of weird war 2 stuff, but that might not be right.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

This looks to be the right thread. I want to play a new miniature game but I'm not sure what.

I've played:

Warhammer 40k which is alright but too much money and too clunky.

Warhammer Fantasy 6th ed (I think) and had some fun with that and I have the Skaven battle force box but I've heard the rules changed for the worse and it's also too much money to get into.

Warmachine/Hordes which I have an okay sized Khador force and I really did enjoy the game. We stopped playing right after mk2 came out because my friend went and had a kid.

Malifaux which was fun but run by assholes and I won't give them another dime again.

And most recently a friend and I each got Dark Age force boxes at Gen Con 2014. And it's a fun quick game but still not what I'm looking for.

What I want in a game doesn't exist but here goes:
*Preferably SciFi
*Larger than skirmish level
*10mm looks neat how do those play?
*I've always been a fan of space bug/mutant style things so if the game has those it's a plus

Ideally it would be a miniature game that feels like I'm pushing a full army worth of space men at other space men but not be as clunky as 40k.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Not to derail your question but when you say Malifaux is/was run by assholes do you mean the company or the local players?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

JoshTheStampede posted:

Not to derail your question but when you say Malifaux is/was run by assholes do you mean the company or the local players?

The company.

Edit: To elaborate. In 2010 we got in touch with Wyrd to run events for then at Origins. Malifaux hadn't been out long and my game group thought the figures and rules seemed pretty sweet and they didn't have any events going. Wyrd goes for it and gives us prize support and tells us they'll even send us some faction boxes so we can run demos.

Months pass and we haven't gotten any of these miniatures in the mail like we were told we would. So it's the first day of Origins and we're setting our booth up. We have to wait until the vendor hall opened before we could touch bade with Wyrd and they give us the miniatures. They aren't assembled or painted and we're told "you need to assemble to with pins and bring them back Sunday" so I spend time assembling these miniatures and then start running my demos and tournaments. Sunday comes and I've decided I wanted to buy the Lilith box and they really wanted me to buy an unassembled box for some reason. So after a couple minutes they relented and just let me buy the one I'd already assembled and been using all weekend.

Then a couple years later the guy that originally approached them about running events in 2010 when the game was still new asked if he could interview them for his blog. The answer? "Nope you're too small time."

Kind of assholey behavior in my opinion.

Len fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 20, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

...for making needlessly complex plastic kits with minimal points of contact with the base? Yes, absolutely.

Is there more to it?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Len posted:

*Preferably SciFi
*I've always been a fan of space bug/mutant style things so if the game has those it's a plus

Ideally it would be a miniature game that feels like I'm pushing a full army worth of space men at other space men but not be as clunky as 40k.

Have you considered Dropzone Commander?

Seems to meet all of your criteria

VV I've seen someone buy a load of plastic army men and crib some pretty basic rules for making the army men shoot each other a bunch, might be worth trying?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Any recommendations for a game a 5 year old can enjoy with his dad? :shobon: I'm not looking for board games, just something straightforward that with models that I can paint up with my son and we can hurl dice around the table for.

Len posted:

*Preferably SciFi

Dropzone Commander may float your boat.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

NTRabbit posted:

Have you considered Dropzone Commander?

Seems to meet all of your criteria

Dropzone commander does look really cool but I can't seem to find any sort of reviews for it. How does it play?

moths posted:

...for making needlessly complex plastic kits with minimal points of contact with the base? Yes, absolutely.

Is there more to it?

From what they told us in 2010 it's intentional that the figures look doofy. They want you to buy their basing bits. That was the official line we were given for why that two headed tiger looks dumb as hell.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Quote is not edit.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Len posted:

Dropzone commander does look really cool but I can't seem to find any sort of reviews for it. How does it play?

Never played it myself, it's on my list of games I want to try one day.

If you have nothing against beasts of war, they have a demo game with two of the Hawk guys here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enxGJE2xNb4

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

enri posted:

Any recommendations for a game a 5 year old can enjoy with his dad? :shobon: I'm not looking for board games, just something straightforward that with models that I can paint up with my son and we can hurl dice around the table for.

I have a 6 year old nephew. Last year me and his gaming dad made a simple tactical RPG/dungeon-crawl game out of Reaper's Bones minis and a cork notice board from IKEA. The advantage is that the miniatures are made of a softer plastic, almost all of them single pieces, and can take any kind of bending and similar abuse. So the kid can play with them as toys as well without them falling apart or the paint falling off. They are also quite cheap and you are set for a long time when it comes to presents. Birthday? Paint up some creepy goblins. Christmas? Paint up some new cool heroes.

The LEGO Heroica games are actually a very good starting point for a simplistic ruleset if you don't want to make one yourself, and we started playing it with the nephew when he was about 5. It is a dungeon crawl game with a very simple dice mechanic: http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Heroica
You can play it with the sweet LEGO toys that omes in the box or you can make your own dungeon tiles and play it with Bones minis or similar. Cheap an durable, and if you go the LEGO route you can build all kinds of stuff if you have more LEGO blocks.
(EDIT: I didn't know that Heroica seems to be retired, at least in the US? Either way it is worth looking for if you like game for kids and LEGO)

Board of our own game:

The hexagons are cast in resin and glued on

Our home-made game itself is not that amazing as a game, but it has treasure cards, hero cards, ability cards and random encouters, which is quite exciting for a kid. Too bad he always ditch the rest of the party to hunt treasures for himself when we play. His favourite moe is to draw a teleport spell and just zap across the board to a treasure chest when the party gets swamped by ghouls or something. :3:

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 20, 2014

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent
I have really enjoyed the Dust that I played. Though as far as I know it was branded Dust: Tactics? I do know that there was a cheat sheet card with new point costs for things that we had to use as some of the models were from a previous or different set? (biggest thing was some of the heroes, like Rosie)

Unfortunately all the dust stuff belongs to a friend, so I can't just up and go check right now. What I do know though, is that it's always been fun, and like every single other skirmishey game, works best if you add some objectives. Plus it's really, really hard to not have fun when you're sending augmented gorillas across a frozen tarmac to smash a fifteen foot walking anti air platform.

(Deadzone is Fantastic for this, as every single game has objectives)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

enri posted:

Song of Blades and Heroes might fit your request. The PDF is only $8

Song of Blades and Heroes is an exciting set of fast play fantasy rules that can be played with your existing miniatures.
EASY: simple rules that you learn in one game;
EASY MEASURING: no counting inches or centimeters: SBH uses three measuring sticks to measure all distances;
FAST: A game lasts 30-45 minutes. Play a mini campaign in a single evening;
INEXPENSIVE:5-10 models per player are needed;
CONVENIENT: a 3’x 3’ play area (for 28mm figures) is enough. Bring all your armies in a shoebox!
MULTI-SCALE: any single based miniature, in any scale;
Standard Six sided dice only;
READY TO PLAY: 180+ monsters and heroes included, and you can create your own!
NO BOOK-KEEPING;
HIGH SOLO PLAYABILITY;
CAMPAIGN RULES: your warband grows more powerful after every battle;
Six scenarios included.

Or if you want a Sci-Fi variant you might try Mutants and Death Ray Guns

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

lilljonas posted:

I have a 6 year old nephew. Last year me and his gaming dad made a simple tactical RPG/dungeon-crawl game out of Reaper's Bones minis and a cork notice board from IKEA. The advantage is that the miniatures can take any kind of abuse, so the kid can play with them as toys as well without them falling apart. They are also quite cheap and you are set for a long time when it comes to presents. Birthday? Paint up some creepy goblins. Christmas? Paint up some new cool heroes.

The LEGO Heroica games are actually a very good starting point for a simplistic ruleset if you don't want to make one yourself, and we started playing it with the nephew when he was about 5. You can play it with the sweet LEGO toys that omes in the box or you can make your own dungeon tiles and play it with Bones minis or similar. Cheap an durable, and if you go the LEGO route you can build all kinds of stuff if you have more LEGO blocks.

Table:

The hexagons are cast in resin and glued on

The actual game is not that amazing as a game, but it has treasure cards, hero cards, ability cards and random encouters, which is quite exciting for a kid. Too bad he always ditch the rest of the party to hunt treasures for himself when we play. His favourite moe is to draw a teleport spell and just zap across the board to a treasure chest when the party gets swamped by ghouls or something. :3:

This is gold, what a great idea... may have found myself a weekend project to slave over :)

bonus points because my son had his birthday not too long ago and someone bought him some star wars figures, not toys but they're like one-colour plastic figures that I've said he can use my paints to paint up. Unfortunately we were right in the middle of a house move so my paints haven't yet been unearthed from all of the associated moving house debris and he's forgotten about them, but I can probably work out some kind of simple game we an play together. The cork noticeboard idea is excellent though, I'll definitely use that.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Song of Blades and Heroes might fit your request. The PDF is only $8

<snip!>

Or if you want a Sci-Fi variant you might try Mutants and Death Ray Guns

This sounds good too, I'll take a look :D Thanks both :)

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

enri posted:

I mentioned it a bit up thread but check out Golem Arcana. All the rolling and rules are handled by the software, you just tap figures, abilities and locations to activate. I played with my four year old and he was able to figure it out with a bit of help.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've since played four games of Songs of Blades and Heroes and can confirm that it's as fun as heck - the only thing which drags it down are how the mechanics take precedence over the narrative IMO, but then I'm getting more into RPG and less into wargaming as time progresses, I think.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

enri posted:

This is gold, what a great idea... may have found myself a weekend project to slave over :)

bonus points because my son had his birthday not too long ago and someone bought him some star wars figures, not toys but they're like one-colour plastic figures that I've said he can use my paints to paint up. Unfortunately we were right in the middle of a house move so my paints haven't yet been unearthed from all of the associated moving house debris and he's forgotten about them, but I can probably work out some kind of simple game we an play together. The cork noticeboard idea is excellent though, I'll definitely use that.

This sounds good too, I'll take a look :D Thanks both :)

I'm glad you liked it. Actually we also have a bunch of the old pre-painted star wars skirmish game that came out a couple of years ago. Next project is to build a tatooine board for that game. It's a bit more complicated and might not suit a 5 yo, more like 6-7 I think. But pretty much all pre-painted minis are durable enough to play with kids, and old retired games are often cheap on e-bay and such. They often look better if you give them a new paint job, and you don't need to worry when they suddenly become paratroopers, rapidly infiltrating down a staircase. Durable is the key when gaming with kids.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Len posted:

Theres a thread in this forum on it. It plays really well, now has cheap options for starter kits and has amazing looking models.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Len posted:

From what they told us in 2010 it's intentional that the figures look doofy. They want you to buy their basing bits. That was the official line we were given for why that two headed tiger looks dumb as hell.

That doesn't even make sense but ok.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

JoshTheStampede posted:

That doesn't even make sense but ok.

It's sculpted to go on their official Wyrd mini rock apparently.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Has anyone tried Anima Tactics?I'd like to know how it plays out. I couldn't find any results after a quick search of the forums, but a super-small skirmish game sounds pretty interesting.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I want to try that out too. As far as I know, everything for the game is online besides fluff. This site has all the character profiles and all the different special rules. So it appears that all you need is proxies and someone to play with.

All that being said, I think the minis are a big part of the draw. However, I've only seen the studio painted figures so I can't say anything about the quality myself.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I saw the Light faction starter box in one of my local stores (the one with this badass) so I was pretty tempted to pick it up, but it's probably in my best interest to figure out if there's a scene for it in my area and if anyone's got a good point of reference for it.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

I've since played four games of Songs of Blades and Heroes and can confirm that it's as fun as heck - the only thing which drags it down are how the mechanics take precedence over the narrative IMO, but then I'm getting more into RPG and less into wargaming as time progresses, I think.

I bought the pdf but the game seems really shallow at first look. Does any real tactical depth exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Len posted:

It's sculpted to go on their official Wyrd mini rock apparently.

Uh, if it's the model I'm thinking of, that mini was designed so it is perching on a rock, I guess because the scuptor or whoever concepted the sculpt thought it looked cool. I personally don't have any beef with the occasional model having part of it be a terrain element. It's not like Wyrd is going "you must use our official rock or bust!" Greenstuff something else if you like.

I mean, if what you said about the interaction with their customers is true, that reflect pretty poorly on them, but when a company does up a model and decides to include a terrain element or whatever because they think it looks neat, I don't see how one has standing to bitch about it. Greenstuff something, cut up and repose the model, don't buy it, whatever.