Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CobiWann posted:

Look, how about this? Instead of my plan of watching True Detective, I’ll spend this upcoming Thanksgiving weekend binging through Eastenders from the very beginning, and once I’m all caught up, I’ll start on my list. Happy?

Oh god someone call a medical professional; He's threatening self-harm! :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

Look, how about this? Instead of my plan of watching True Detective, I’ll spend this upcoming Thanksgiving weekend binging through Eastenders from the very beginning, and once I’m all caught up, I’ll start on my list. Happy?

There's approximately 5,000 episodes and 2,500 hours of Eastenders... :stare:

More seriously, you might like to try The Edge of Darkness, which was a BBC drama miniseries from the 1980s, the original version of House of Cards with Ian Richardson as Urquhart, and the original (Kevin Spacey remade this one as well) State of Play from about 10 years ago, which featured John Simm and David Morrissey.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 20, 2014

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh god someone call a medical professional; He's threatening self-harm! :stonk:

Congratulations, my boss had to come into my office to see why the hell I was laughing so hard.

I have seen all of the English House of Cards trilogy (someone post the Dalek falling of the window gif here with the caption “DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADY”) and the original State of Play, as well as Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and The Sandbaggers (you can see how my television genre tastes lie), but now I’ll add Edge of Darkness to my list. I also need to add…what is it called, Darkplace? Darkspace? All I know is the title credits have a guy running from an exploding ambulance with a baby in his hands.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Garth Marenghi's Darkplace? I have to admit that I tried it but couldn't get into it. I suppose I have an unsophisticated and predictable sense of humour (I enjoy The Vicar of Dibley).

Unless, of course, that's not what you mean.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

You're not a real British genre TV telefantasy fan until you've watched Neverwhere. And Crime Traveller.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What was the one where they heard they were going to be cancelled, so the writers ended their last episode on a cliffhanger and got another season out of it, then when they heard they were going to be cancelled again, tried to same trick and it backfired on them?

Started with a "B", I think.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
Seriously, though, have you watched Sapphire and Steel? Because if you haven't, then you need to watch Sapphire and Steel.

Metal Loaf posted:

What was the one where they heard they were going to be cancelled, so the writers ended their last episode on a cliffhanger and got another season out of it, then when they heard they were going to be cancelled again, tried to same trick and it backfired on them?

Started with a "B", I think.

That would be Bugs. You don't have to watch Bugs.

pinacotheca fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 20, 2014

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Keeping Up Appearances and IT Crowd are solid choices if you;'ve never seen them, as well as Father Ted

But if you REALLY want a good genre fiction show, well, my perennial favorite is quite mystical in nature and I feel compelled to force it on you. :unsmigghh:

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Solaris Knight posted:

Keeping Up Appearances

Errrrrrrrrrrr what?

Cobi - move red dwarf up to the top of your list.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Solaris Knight posted:

Keeping Up Appearances and IT Crowd are solid choices if you;'ve never seen them, as well as Father Ted

But if you REALLY want a good genre fiction show, well, my perennial favorite is quite mystical in nature and I feel compelled to force it on you. :unsmigghh:

OK look, I know you try to rival What's love for Six with your love for that piece of poo poo, but let's be entirely fair here.

It's not a good genre show.

It's not. It's really not.

The closest Power Ranger seasons get to being good Genre Shows are from the In Space to Time Force series, and even then.

I will loving do it, I will have a nerd off about the quality or lack there of of Power Rangers in the Doctor Who thread that is also discussing loving Neverwhere.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Burkion posted:

OK look, I know you try to rival What's love for Six with your love for that piece of poo poo, but let's be entirely fair here.

The closest Power Ranger seasons get to being good Genre Shows are from the In Space to Time Force series, and even then.

I will loving do it, I will have a nerd off about the quality or lack there of of Power Rangers in the Doctor Who thread that is also discussing loving Neverwhere.

Time Force was the best effort Power Rangers has ever made towards being actual quality genre television, and likewise, its greatest success. It had its undeniable childish elements, but it also had the best actual actors, best character arcs, and best understanding of why those qualities were important. It's worth noting that it was one of the single most direct adaptations of the corresponding Sentai to date at that point. As a little kid, watching it was one of my first experiences with rudimentary media analysis - I understood intuitively the motivations of the characters (Red, Pink, and Quantum Rangers, mostly), even when they weren't being exposited in dialogue, because the acting and plotting were strong enough to make them clear. There are shots I remember from watching the show as a kid, even a decade-and-a-half later.

In Space and SPD are the only real runners-up in that regard. SPD gets points for being conspicuously more socially-aware than any of the other iterations, and In Space had a sense of finality and purpose going for it.

...anyway, the Mystic Force suit designs, in particular the capes, are pretty rad though, at least as Power Ranger designs are concerned. But the show's pretty rubbish.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 42 days!

Metal Loaf posted:

So, um, while we're on the topic.... One of my favourite BBC sitcoms is actually Dad's Army. :blush:

Ain't no shame in the "Dad's Army" game :hfive:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

What was the name of an English science fiction short series from about ten years ago about an alien invasion? I remember the aliens basically being glowing orange insects and some body snatched style duplicates too, one of which I think jumped off a bridge.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Burkion posted:

En garde! :black101:

PriorMarcus posted:

What was the name of an English science fiction short series from about ten years ago about an alien invasion? I remember the aliens basically being glowing orange insects and some body snatched style duplicates too, one of which I think jumped off a bridge.

The body snatching and jumping off a bridge sounds like Captain Scarlet and the Mysterions, but I never watched either incarnation so I wouldn't know.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Solaris Knight posted:

En garde! :black101:

The body snatching and jumping off a bridge sounds like Captain Scarlet and the Mysterions, but I never watched either incarnation so I wouldn't know.

The aliens in that were like pairs of green and/or white circular eyes that got projected onto the set (it's better than it sounds) though.

e: but seriously, watch Red Dwarf. It's okay, you can stop at the end of Series VI.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 20, 2014

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

CobiWann posted:

...um...er...what's Red Dwarf?

What the......

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Paul.Power posted:

The aliens in that were like pairs of green and/or white circular eyes that got projected onto the set (it's better than it sounds) though.

Captain Scarlet is a legitimately amazing series.

Also, what I'm trying to remember was live action.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

PriorMarcus posted:

Were there a bunch of RAF pilots in it?

'Invasion: Earth'
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0140743/

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Unkempt posted:

Were there a bunch of RAF pilots in it?

'Invasion: Earth'
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0140743/

Yep. That's the one!

I was too young at the time to remember if it was any good. Probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Yeah, I think this is a pretty reliable sign that a new thread would be a :waycool: thing.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3682695

Get stuck in.

• Locked thread