Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Bacarruda posted:

Crossposting from Aeronautical Insanity

Got to fly a C-17 simulator today. Couldn't take pictures, unfortunately. Blame the OpSec Wizard. :(

Overall, a really cool experience. My entire prior piloting experience consisted of dicking around in Microsoft Flight Simulator and a flight in a Navy T-34 when I was ten.

Warmed up with a couple of takeoffs and landings to get the hang of things. Didn't crash the jet. Even with 50,000 pounds of "cargo" in the back, the C-17 struck me as a surprisingly hot ship. Rotated quickly at takeoff, climbed rapidly, and handled sharp banks easily. I could get the aircraft to do what I wanted. And I'm a very rusty stick-and-rudder pilot.

Cockpit layout was very logical and easy to follow. The HUD was enormously helpful. V1, artificial horizon, airspeed indicator, altitude, and navigational indicators were all right there.

Tried aerial refueling with a KC-135. poo poo is way harder than it looks. Even with the tanker flying straight and level, simply approaching the tanker was loving hard. You really become aware of the C-17s bulk. There was major lag between control inputs and aircraft response. Not to mention the wake turbulence from the tanker. The simulator was actually shaking at some points. It was like trying to pick up a grain of rice in a windstorm while using telephone poles for chopsticks.

Wrapped the day up with a simulated assault landing. Started at about 5000 feet or so. The pilot I was with hit all four thrust reversers, set flaps, and pointed the nose down. Simulator started rattling like a monkey cage and the plane dropped like an elevator. Meanwhile, the guy running the simulator starts chucking MANPADs at us. Leveled off for a short final approach and touched down. No sooner had our wheels landed, than he had the reversers and brakes back on. Jet stopped in about 2000 feet.

Got to walk around the actual jet too. For some reason the Opsec Wizard didn't object to this.

The loadmaster's seat. Got to see the loadmaster sim, too.

Badass, I have such an irrational love of that plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
And they say Robinsons aren't sexy...

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/7dlE4sh.jpg:nws:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I wanna fly a C17 simulator :smith:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

slidebite posted:

I wanna fly a C17 simulator :smith:

Seriously - I'd pay a reasonable amount of :homebrew: to get a good couple hours on one of those.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'd like to be wealthy enough to have my own 737 sim.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I just want a Viperwing F-16 cockpit with the F-16 flight controls from Aerotronics

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
had an interview with Air Canada this afternoon for stuctures, hope I get it! Airplanes > wind turbines.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

A Melted Tarp posted:

And they say Robinsons aren't sexy...

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/7dlE4sh.jpg:nws:

If you want to impress me, show her getting back up without grabbing any buttons or leaning on the foot pedals.

What if she got her hair caught in the pedals :ohdear:

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Here's a vid on flex wing tech with hingeless flaps from earlier this year that's gone in to testing recently. It got brought up at my work. Searched, but didn't see it mentioned.
http://youtu.be/9ZpAHxMj5lU
http://climate.nasa.gov/news/2189/

And the NASA Langly YT channel puts up archive test footage. Given the recent Osprey chat, they have a silent film of various VTOL/Rotor/Tilt Rotor aircraft from the 40s to 70s.
http://youtu.be/rttdKYszLwk
:stonk: 12:57
Also never saw the Bell X-14 before in video before.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Qantas has taken delivery of the 75th and final B738, painted in the retro livery with the old flying kangaroo.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

FullMetalJacket posted:

had an interview with Air Canada this afternoon for stuctures, hope I get it! Airplanes > wind turbines.

Good luck! Tin bashing or engineering? Either way, you'll be busy!

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

They had quite the event for its delivery with John Travolta himself coming to our little delivery center to participate.
http://www.airlinereporter.com/2014/11/john-travolta-comes-seattle-celebrate-qantas-retro-737-livery/

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

AzureSkys posted:

They had quite the event for its delivery with John Travolta himself coming to our little delivery center to participate.
http://www.airlinereporter.com/2014/11/john-travolta-comes-seattle-celebrate-qantas-retro-737-livery/

No no, that hair is real. Honest.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kilonum posted:

I just want a Viperwing F-16 cockpit with the F-16 flight controls from Aerotronics

Seems like you'd really need a full 270 degree projector setup.

Also, if its a fully realistic cockpit does it have the 5' 11" or whatever restriction on it the real F-16 does?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

hobbesmaster posted:

Seems like you'd really need a full 270 degree projector setup.

Also, if its a fully realistic cockpit does it have the 5' 11" or whatever restriction on it the real F-16 does?

iirc, the F-16 restrictions are based mostly on the ACES II and whether or not you can fit in it. So body proportions are as important as overall height (although obviously Shaq isn't gonna be a fighter pilot anytime soon). As long as you're not freakishly ill-proportioned you can still be 6 foot+ and fly the Viper.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
One more thing about Von Braun. His SS officer's commission allowed him to cut orders. At the end of the war, his orders got all his people and trainloads of his entire program, multiple V-2's, all the files, everything, moved to a location where they could hook up with the Americans. Without him being an officer, the Russians might have got him.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Schindler's Fist posted:

One more thing about Von Braun. His SS officer's commission allowed him to cut orders. At the end of the war, his orders got all his people and trainloads of his entire program, multiple V-2's, all the files, everything, moved to a location where they could hook up with the Americans. Without him being an officer, the Russians might have got him.

Kind of, SS General Hans Kammler was in charge of the V-2 project overall and had issued orders for them to be moved to Central Germany, while at the same time Von Braun had received orders from a Wermacht General to join the Army and fight.

He actually fabricated orders using Kammler's orders to get them moved nearer to the Western front. It also helped that shortly afterwords Kammler was more focused on cleaning up the slave labor and classified equipment than actually following up on what Von Braun was doing. Had Kammler actually been aware what he was doing, I suspect he would have shot Von Braun as a traitor.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 20, 2014

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Bacarruda posted:

iirc, the F-16 restrictions are based mostly on the ACES II and whether or not you can fit in it. So body proportions are as important as overall height (although obviously Shaq isn't gonna be a fighter pilot anytime soon). As long as you're not freakishly ill-proportioned you can still be 6 foot+ and fly the Viper.

As someone who's 1.90m tall this pleases me

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

Linedance posted:

Good luck! Tin bashing or engineering? Either way, you'll be busy!

Tin bashing dash 8 classics. I get the feeling DHC products will end up being my type certificate after licensing. I'm ok with that :canada:

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

MrChips posted:

You're still messing around with warbirds, right? I'm going to be checking out in a T-28 sometime in the next few months (basically, as soon as we get a stretch of not freezing our asses off weather) that I will hopefully be flying semi-regularly next summer; if you have any tips, I'd love to hear them.

Not for long. I'm balls deep in my pre study material for class at my new job at Ameriflight, which is coming up in a few weeks. That's why it's taken me so long to reply (in combination with planning a cross country move), sorry.

The main tip about flying warbirds is mostly null in this case, since we're talking about a tricycle plane: gobs and gobs of tailwheel experience, in all of its modes... 3 point landings, wheel landings, crosswind landings (3 point and wheel), all of the above with and without flaps if your plane has them, etc. This still holds some truth even for a tricycle in the development of positive, accurate, and confident aircraft control. You can't let the airplane bully you. You have to fly the airplane, and not the other way around; but at the same time, those positive inputs have to be accurate and toward a particular goal. Thrashing the controls around like a madman won't help you if those inputs are for the wrong place; and so often, they are.

Other than tailwheel takeoff/landing ops, the other way to develop this type of confidence is aerobatics... come to think of it, that'll mostly involve tailwheel airplanes anyway. At least do some stall/spin flights until kicking the rudder around to the stops and shoving the nose down is as routine and boring as dialing a radio frequency. Pretty much my favorite exercise is the prolonged stall, or falling leaf stall, where you bring the airplane to a stall and then suck the stick back firmly to the aft stop, and then use the rudder to keep the wings (more or less) level. The plane (depending, of course) goes through a series of nasty wing drops, each of which is an incipient spin, and the correction from each one often leads to a nasty wing drop in the opposite direction (roll instability). This is combined with the pitch attitude gyrating up and down in a series of stalls and self-recoveries, each of which quickly varies the plane's roll response to rudder inputs.

Basically, the airplane flies nasty as poo poo, and punishes you for holding the stick back.

Then, the moment you let it forward, the wing unstalls, and the plane "snaps" into normal, stable flight mode, and rewards you for putting the stick forward.

Thus, it gives you an actual, tangible, in-your-gut punishment and reward for doing the right and wrong thing, respectively. Too many pilots, depending on who they learned with, have never been in an actual stall ("first indication" recovery at the horn, buffet, etc.) and therefore the knowledge of what's the right thing to do in a stall is only academic. And the first time they get into an actual stall, it may be for real and the instinctive gut reaction to move the nose up the way it's normally done may not be overcome in a timely-enough manner, in the face of it dropping uncontrollably down... for the first time in their life. Combine this with a wing drop and the instinctive response of how unintentional rolling is normally stopped, and you have the recipe for a spin.

Read up on radial engines, which have some unique operational characteristics. The most unusual one (especially on the 1820) is that it's bad to have too little power. Whereas people normally worry about too much manifold pressure for the RPM, here additionally you have to worry about too little manifold pressure for the RPM, especially at high speeds. Reversing the torque (i.e., letting the prop windmill) = death for the master rod journal.

Randy Sohn's Warbird Notes article index
John Deakin's Pelican's Perch article index

This makes it hard to dissipate energy on descent while clean, and therefore requires some planning to start descents early enough to make sure they're shallow enough, kind of like a slippery jet. But another way of dealing with this is flying the overhead break approach, which lets you come screaming in as fast as needed and dissipate the speed in the hard pull of the break. Then you've gotta do a whole lot configuring in very little time on downwind.

That brings me to the next item, you've gotta have your flows for critical phases of flight down pat. Generally patterns are flown a lot tighter and there's no time for a written checklist. You simply need to learn all the speeds, power changes, and other configuration changes (and whatever other set of procedures apply from your training program) and be able to spit them out like your middle name. (This applies even with a written checklist.) The first couple of patterns are gonna be a whole lot busier with the sensory overload of all the new stuff, and every bit of thing that you can drill into your brain on the ground will help here. The same applies doubly to emergency procedures.

Approaches from closed traffic, once you have your drag out, will be a lot steeper than you're used to, so be able to visually pick out your aimpoint on the runway and drive the airplane to it. (And many warbirds, the T-28 included, make prodigious amounts of drag.) Don't be like all of my students who let the airplane fly them toward a point on the ground halfway from where they are to the runway, realize it very late/low, make a measly correction, get even lower and shallower, and then drag it in from a half mile away with the nose up in the air the engine at climb power, and the wheels going through the trees. Even worse is when they pull the nose up without adding power, and immediately start bleeding airspeed.

See the deviation early, make a positive and accurate correction (get the job done!) and keep looking for deviations. And keep in mind that power and power only will reduce a descent angle or produce a climb angle. Any pitch inputs are merely to shepherd the airplane, at a constant AOA, gracefully into the new pitch+flight path angle configuration. Don't let anybody tell you that power controls airspeed. A power increase alone will usually decrease, not increase, the airspeed due to a nose-up moment change from the propwash over the tail. And it's AOA that ultimately determines airspeed.

I've never flown a T-28 but these are my general observations about warbird flying and teaching, mostly in the T-6.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 21, 2014

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Thanks for the advice, vessbot, there's a lot there to digest for sure. I have some tailwheel experience, having flown a Scout (the Citabria's bigger brother), plus as I mentioned I flew a Stearman all this spring and summer as well; figure 50 hours in the Scout and about 140 in the Stearman all told. We got into some limited aerobatics in the Stearman, and what you said about aerobatic flying absolutely holds true. The other thing I found was that aerobatic flying demands a precision far beyond what is expected for any level of non-aerobatic flying; not just in terms of "enter this maneuver at this speed, this altitude, etc." but also in judicious, proactive application of the controls. Flying gliders is a lot like that, but only for the simple fact that you need to very carefully manage your energy or you'll be landing out in a hurry.

And I am a firm believer in pitch/AOA for airspeed, power for descent rate. It's what I was tought flying gliders (though in that case it was spoilers for descent rate), plus my favourite old, ex-Canadian Forces flying instructor drilled that into my head in my commercial training as well. If it's good enough to keep you alive in a CF-104, it's good enough for me. :v:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

MrChips posted:

And I am a firm believer in pitch/AOA for airspeed, power for descent rate.

You sexy sonofabitch.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

This highway looks like it will make a lovely landing strip...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hisTNkN_sJY

It's sort of old (2011) but I've never seen it before so may not have been posted here.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
The fact that this picture represents almost $500 million of air-frames makes me a little queasy...

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Thats has to be shopped. No way could 4 of them be working at once.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Well, only two are F-35s, and they're both the normal AF variant. :v:

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
2. The other two are actually semi-decent birds. Stiiiill calling photoshop on even 2, though.

EFB :argh:

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

MrChips posted:

Thanks for the advice, vessbot, there's a lot there to digest for sure. I have some tailwheel experience, having flown a Scout (the Citabria's bigger brother), plus as I mentioned I flew a Stearman all this spring and summer as well; figure 50 hours in the Scout and about 140 in the Stearman all told. We got into some limited aerobatics in the Stearman, and what you said about aerobatic flying absolutely holds true. The other thing I found was that aerobatic flying demands a precision far beyond what is expected for any level of non-aerobatic flying; not just in terms of "enter this maneuver at this speed, this altitude, etc." but also in judicious, proactive application of the controls. Flying gliders is a lot like that, but only for the simple fact that you need to very carefully manage your energy or you'll be landing out in a hurry.

And I am a firm believer in pitch/AOA for airspeed, power for descent rate. It's what I was tought flying gliders (though in that case it was spoilers for descent rate), plus my favourite old, ex-Canadian Forces flying instructor drilled that into my head in my commercial training as well. If it's good enough to keep you alive in a CF-104, it's good enough for me. :v:

Well you've got no choice in a glider! But yeah, the pitch/power thing came up in the other thread not too long ago, and when I proposed a scientific experiment by isolating the variables and asking everyone if they could use only one hand to set and hold any speed I assign them which hand it would be, they all fell strangely silent except of course for the Navy guy. (And I'm not counting all the "I'd use the hand that can reach both controls :hurr:" responses)

If you're a bit technically minded, you might get a lot out of Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators, which goes into the details of exactly why it works like that; and that it's not really a matter of opinion or technique at all, but hard math and physics. Everyone controls airspeed with AOA and flight path angle with power whether they realize it or not. It' just a matter of whether their technique is or isn't in accordance with how flight actually works.

I towed gliders for a bit in the past, and got a few flights in them myself. But all on stable days with a ride straight back to the airport :( One of these decades I'll afford to finish that rating. Surely that would come faster than the helicopter one...

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

McDeth posted:

The fact that this picture represents almost $500 million of air-frames makes me a little queasy...

Wow, it is incredible how similar they look

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Splode posted:

Wow, it is incredible how similar they look

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not...

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

simplefish posted:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not...

Deadly serious. The only large difference is the geometry of the tail fins. Everything else is a minor detail. Several posters itt assumed it was four of the same plane, as did I until someone pointed out it was two different kinds and I had a closer look.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Splode posted:

Deadly serious. The only large difference is the geometry of the tail fins. Everything else is a minor detail. Several posters itt assumed it was four of the same plane, as did I until someone pointed out it was two different kinds and I had a closer look.

I think you need to look closer.

Long slender body vs short fat body, intake geometry complete opposites, vastly different vertical stabilizers, one engine vs two which completely changes the fuselage shape, etc. To be fair, some of the obvious differences that would break it up are hidden by the angle.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 21, 2014

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
They have similarly shaped wings and general proportions, but the angle of the shot hides how much bulkier the F-35 looks compared to the F-22. The canopy shape, vertical stabilizers, elevators, intakes, etc. are all distinctly shaped. Computer modeling tends to push everything to look the same except for minor details.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

At first glance it wasn't apparent to me. I thought there was just one -35. I had to look harder to realize there are 2 of each as it becomes more obvious.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

AzureSkys posted:

At first glance it wasn't apparent to me. I thought there was just one -35.

Stealth, man.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

The cyan lines are where the part slants the entirely opposite direction

The green lines show where there's more angles/distinctly different angles

The red line shows the sexy sexy back on the 22 and the brutalist "just make it fekkin straight" one on the -35

The orange line shows the wings are vastly different in proportion (the -35 has stubby little things) and join the fuselage at totally different points

The yellow circle shows that on the -22 the elevators and the ailerons overlap, while there's clearly a decent gap between them on the -35

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

The 35 looks like a guppy with wings on.

The 22 looks like this:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

dubzee posted:

The 35 looks like a guppy with wings on.

The 22 looks like this:

For some reason the surface on the F-22 and the PAK whatever Russia is making looks so sexy to me.

It reminds me of the awesome (and completely different) pattern meteorites get. :allears:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

simplefish posted:

The cyan lines are where the part slants the entirely opposite direction

The green lines show where there's more angles/distinctly different angles

The red line shows the sexy sexy back on the 22 and the brutalist "just make it fekkin straight" one on the -35

The orange line shows the wings are vastly different in proportion (the -35 has stubby little things) and join the fuselage at totally different points

The yellow circle shows that on the -22 the elevators and the ailerons overlap, while there's clearly a decent gap between them on the -35

:goonsay:

The details don't matter, the shape is pretty similar when you compare them to say, F-18 vs F-16 or whatever. Didn't realise goons were so invested in intake geometry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Splode posted:

:goonsay:

The details don't matter, the shape is pretty similar when you compare them to say, F-18 vs F-16 or whatever. Didn't realise goons were so invested in intake geometry.

you realize what thread you're in right?