Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

incoherent posted:

Do you want to stick with microsoft solutions or are you open to learning linux? I would seriously invest in learning a hypervisor stack (microsoft or VMware) if you're looking at the next level.

I'm just more comfortable with Microsoft stuff, but I'm willing to expand my horizons. Thanks for the ideas. I know virtualization seems to be the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Virtualization is also the present and recent-past at this point. It's not really an optional part of any admin or aspiring admin's skill set these days.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Leon Einstein posted:

I'm just more comfortable with Microsoft stuff, but I'm willing to expand my horizons. Thanks for the ideas. I know virtualization seems to be the future.

Desktop Virtualization isn't 100% there yet. Server virtualization is standard and any environment that isn't virtual should be looking at converting.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Leon Einstein posted:

Going down the MCSA track includes a hefty dose of basic Hyper-V. It's enough to put one or two non-critical servers into production, or to balance out a cluster, but it's not "let's virtualize our entire infrastructure on Hyper-V."

You could always do the three exams for the 2k8 MCSA, which is still available, and then do the 70-417 to upgrade. 2012 does enough stuff differently from 2008 that you'd benefit a lot more from the 2008 certs if you're more familiar with 2k3.

With an MCSA and a VCP if you ever get into the Stanly class, you're incredibly well-set up to expand your skill set and marketability.

Faded Sloth
Nov 22, 2013

baron zen
I'm an undergrad studying Electrical Engineering. I want to go to industry after I graduate in May 2017. I've heard about Six Sigma a couple times and I'm wondering if this is something I should look into getting. There are some student engineering orgs here that can give us a huge discount on getting it. Thoughts?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Faded Sloth posted:

I'm an undergrad studying Electrical Engineering. I want to go to industry after I graduate in May 2017. I've heard about Six Sigma a couple times and I'm wondering if this is something I should look into getting. There are some student engineering orgs here that can give us a huge discount on getting it. Thoughts?

I'll just answer by saying that Six Sigma isn't really an IT certification and I don't know that anyone here is likely to be able to give you a very straight answer concerning whether you should or should not pursue it, as it's not really in the wheelhouse of most people here.

If you're hearing it brought up within a lot of industry org's and/or companies that you're interested in, maybe consider it. It does seem a little obtuse to me though.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I just passed the ICND1 yesterday with a 960/1000. It was surprisingly easy.

Now, here's the interesting part. My manager had recommended a certain site which i thought was a braindump, so I initially declined. But after he spent a good 20 minutes reassuring that it was legit study material and not a braindump, I finally agreed and signed up.

I can safely say that it actually wasn't (maybe it was in the beginning) a braindump. If you just memorized all the answers to the questions on that site and expected to be able to take the test, one of two things will happen to you when you take the actual ICND1:

A. You would have gotten a good 80% of the questions wrong and failed miserably.

B. You would pass, but then later on have your cert revoked after they find out you tried to cheat.

Almost every question on the actual ICND1 was indeed found on this site, but in almost every case, the variables of the questions were different than what was on this site. IPs, subnets, interfaces, positions on diagrams, you name it. Trying to only use the site without actually know the material you were being tested on would be a 100% chance of failing so badly that it would be very obvious you walked in with a braindump.

But it gets even better! Cisco has gained my respect for being the sneakiest motherfuckers on the planet, as not only did they switch all the variables of their questions, they also included many trap answers too. They would often put in answer choices that were from this site, and in most cases that I spotted them, they couldn't possibly be right at all, which would only immediately be apparent if you actually knew the material.

Example: summarizing a list of subnet IPs, with the answers being /14, /16, /18, and /24. The correct answer being /16, but the trap answer being /24 as thats what it was for said question on the website. The real question wouldnt even have any class C IPs mentioned, so anyone picking /24 is either randomly guessing or attempting to use a braindump. And of course, anyone who picks enough trap answers is immediately branded as a cheater.

I really love that cisco does all that. The site I used actually explained WHY all the answers were right, which was the real help I got from it. I had just finished a 2 month college course about the ICND1 right before taking it, and so that's how i was so familiar with the material, but the site was great for reinforcing what i had already known.

But to anyone else thinking about trying it, DO NOT think you can just read a braindump and pass the exam. If you dont actually know all the material youre memorizing the answers for, you WILL fail at a bare minimum, and its highly likely they will find out you tried to use a braindump. Don't do it. Take the time and study, you'll thank yourself later.

I definitely can't wait to take the ICND2 though, it was really fun wading through all the sneaky trick answers that made enough sense to be possibly right(but were not) and still coming out on top. :eng101:

Umbreon fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Nov 16, 2014

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I don't believe for a minute that any of those braindump sites are real, a co-worker of mine had one from testking?(is this even a braindump?) and it's literally thing the same thing you'd get from any practice test you get with cbt nuggets, sybex books or purchase individually but with slimy "You will pass the exam 100%".

I think Microsoft sued Testking at one point but later dropped the case once they found its not an actual dump.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Tab8715 posted:

I don't believe for a minute that any of those braindump sites are real, a co-worker of mine had one from testking?(is this even a braindump?) and it's literally thing the same thing you'd get from any practice test you get with cbt nuggets, sybex books or purchase individually but with slimy "You will pass the exam 100%".

I think Microsoft sued Testking at one point but later dropped the case once they found its not an actual dump.

I think there's a legitimate use for braindumps in reinforcing the TYPE of question that's going to be asked by the exams in question. HOWEVER it doesn't replace actually having the knowledge and very often will lead people astray with inaccurate answers, dumb memorization, and to be frank devalues the whole point of the certification.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Because some day, someones going to ask you how to do X from your certification and you can't hide behind google ~forever~.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

incoherent posted:

Because some day, someones going to ask you how to do X from your certification and you can't hide behind google ~forever~.

Yep. The only reason I even passed my exam was because I knew how to do all of the X they asked me about. Anyone who doesn't would have failed miserably

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Tab8715 posted:

I don't know about recently as tests are getting harder, question pools are increasing and the test themselves are adaptive, but those braindump sites are 100% legit. Word for loving word what was on the exam. Word for loving word. Replace Contoso with Testking and they are the exact same questions.

CBT will ask the same type of questions in the same format, but dump sites have the EXACT same question.

Years ago after a cert exam I looked at a Testking for an exam I took and I could easily circle 45 of the questions as exact word for word copies from the exam.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"Keeping the questions the same and replacing the variables" is pretty much 100% braindump, but it can get tricky. I mean, (and this is so obvious I don't think it's breaking NDA or whatever), there's only so many ways to do the classic CCNA-level "here's a network diagram, A pings B, what's the source/destination IP/MAC when the packet exits interface F0/2?" question.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Faded Sloth posted:

I would ask that question over in the business, finance, careers engineering thread, but the short answer is that Six Sigma is if you want to do some kind of QA or process work with your EE

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
If I'm hitting like 75-80% repeatedly on my Net+ practice exam I should have a pretty okay time passing the actual test itself, right? :sweatdrop: I feel pretty comfortable with most of the concepts themselves, the only real trouble I seem to have is memorizing IP classes, and the private/public ranges.

e: 720 on a scale of 100-900 is 80% or did I gently caress that up?

crunk dork fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 18, 2014

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
Is MCSE still so loving weightless due to braindumps all over the place?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Faded Sloth posted:

My first job out of college was at a Six Sigma company. Six Sigma is something that is completely useless outside of a Six Sigma context, and it's more like a management/project management philosophy that's pushed throughout an organization.

Simply put, the whole idea of Six Sigma is to reduce preventable defects to within six sigmas of standard deviation, or some kind of statistical thing like that. It only works for processes. The problem here is that it's the situation of "when all you have is a hammer, everything starts looking like a nail."

I was working at a software support helpdesk. Said company, a major medical diagnostic company, gave doctors/hospitals/etc. their computer or application to submit specimen test requisitions. Helpdesk is not a process, even at the call center level, and Six Sigma training basically trains you to shoehorn everything into a process, quantify bits and pieces, break down the bits and pieces into components, and figure out how to eliminate preventable defects.

As to taking it... the thing is, Six Sigma as a private organization - at least as of 2006 - required everyone who wanted their Green Belt, which is basically entry-level Six Sigma done within one's own department/business area, to complete a Green Belt project within said business area. It may be useless to start on it if you're still doing your undergrad.

As an IT cert, Six Sigma is 100% useless to you and won't teach you anything useful if you want to stay as a nuts-and-bolts guy. If you want to get into project management within IT, the PMP cert is a lot more industry-recognized and useful to have.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

bluegoon posted:

I don't think so. The 2003 test was easily dumped. The 2008 MCITP:EA was a motherfucker to pass, and from what I've read online even people that dump it manage to fail it. I haven't taken any of the newer 2012 tests yet, but supposedly those are legit as well. The newer MS tests I put a fair bit of weight on personally. If I saw someone with a MCSE: Private Cloud or MCSE: Server Infrastructure I would feel pretty confident they weren't a 'paper tiger'

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

bluegoon posted:

Also when you say MCSE do you mean Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer which doesn't actually exist anymore?

I'm getting kind of tired of seeing jobs requiring "MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer)."

I think the current equivalent is the MCSA.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

FISHMANPET posted:

Also when you say MCSE do you mean Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer which doesn't actually exist anymore?

I'm getting kind of tired of seeing jobs requiring "MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer)."

I think the current equivalent is the MCSA.

It's now Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert

https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/mcse-server-infrastructure-certification.aspx

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
MCSE Means Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert now, but it doesn't directly translate to the Systems Engineer. If you look at the upgrade path from Systems Engineer, MSCA: Server is the best equivalent. Solutions Expert is a step above that that didn't really exist with Systems Engineer.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

FISHMANPET posted:

MCSE Means Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert now, but it doesn't directly translate to the Systems Engineer. If you look at the upgrade path from Systems Engineer, MSCA: Server is the best equivalent. Solutions Expert is a step above that that didn't really exist with Systems Engineer.

Does that mean that if I can finally get this MCSA (Solutions Associate), I'll be roughly on par with what used to be MCSE(Engineer)?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

What has historically been the difference between the MCSA and MCSE (MCITP:EA) exams has been the E's have had a design component to them, while the MCSA tests focused on administration tasks.

The 2003 MCSE would be the today's equivalent of the MCSE: Server Infrastructure as that certification has design tests in it. The 2003 MCSE had 6 exams total. 1 client, 4 server, 1 design.

The current MCSA is analogous to previous MCSA certifications.

The MCSA is still a great cert to get, go ahead and get those studies done!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
That's the best explanation I've seen, and certainly makes the most sense. Looking via upgrade paths it's really hard to tell, becuase there's a pretty clear path from 2003 to 2008 Certs, but then to upgrade to 2012 they just throw all the old stuff in a pile and say "if you have any of these you're good, now take this 2012 upgrade exam." Except the MCSE certs still both require separate design and implementation coursework, so I guess they're saying you're 2003 design and implementation skills aren't good anymore.

E: And that means 2 more books into my queue. The MCSA is a subset of the MCSE, so you've gotta get it no matter what.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 18, 2014

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Got my Sec+ yesterday.

Just want to echo the OP; I read the book suggested and studied the port chart, although I also read a Sybex Sec+ book I felt the one mentioned in the OP was much better. I've got three years as a (small) network admin so that probably helped, but that book is fantastic. Moving on to Net+, need to knock that out in about four weeks. I've got the Michael Meyers Net+ book and WGU has the Sybex ebook so I should be set.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

PneumonicBook posted:

Got my Sec+ yesterday.

Just want to echo the OP; I read the book suggested and studied the port chart, although I also read a Sybex Sec+ book I felt the one mentioned in the OP was much better. I've got three years as a (small) network admin so that probably helped, but that book is fantastic. Moving on to Net+, need to knock that out in about four weeks. I've got the Michael Meyers Net+ book and WGU has the Sybex ebook so I should be set.

I'm taking my net+ tomorrow and will be starting to study for my sec+ after that, I'm also at WGU and LabSim helped me a ton. The worst part is watching these dorks ramble on for 20 minutes at a time without nodding off at least once in the middle of it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Anyone want to do an updated writeup for new CCNA ICND1/2? My writeup in the OP is based off of the version I passed in 2012, and as I understand it the new one is a bit different.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

No but add GIAC certs/SANS classes to the Security list.

:colbert:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Drunk Orc posted:

I'm taking my net+ tomorrow and will be starting to study for my sec+ after that, I'm also at WGU and LabSim helped me a ton. The worst part is watching these dorks ramble on for 20 minutes at a time without nodding off at least once in the middle of it.

The blonde guy's not terrible, the other guy though...

Good luck, if it goes well I'll be sure to use more of the labsim stuff for net+.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

PneumonicBook posted:

The blonde guy's not terrible, the other guy though...

Good luck, if it goes well I'll be sure to use more of the labsim stuff for net+.
Oh good god you're not kidding, he reminds me of Droopy Dog from Looney Tunes. What helped me most was the notes you can print out and the lesson review quizzes, the practice and domain exams are very helpful too. Since you've been working in IT you probably already know 3/4 if not all the stuff they are going to cover.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Drunk Orc posted:

Oh good god you're not kidding, he reminds me of Droopy Dog from Looney Tunes. What helped me most was the notes you can print out and the lesson review quizzes, the practice and domain exams are very helpful too. Since you've been working in IT you probably already know 3/4 if not all the stuff they are going to cover.

That's what a guy I work with who just got his sec+ did with his labsim stuff and it seemed useful. Really my only issue with labsim besides Droopy Dog guy (this is how I'm going to refer to him henceforth) is that they seem to meander and sometimes go to places that I don't think they need to. Still good stuff though, if I had the time to watch all of there videos I would.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Finally passed my ITIL foundation cert today! I half assed studying for a month or so off and on, and just really started focusing on it this past week. I think it was actually harder for me to pass than my CCNA. Just not hands on at all, a ton of business lingo and terminology. For those of you who are interested I used the Sybex book by Liz Gallagher and then this helped me quite a bit as well:
http://www.inf.unideb.hu/~fazekasg/oktatas/ITIL_V3_Study_Guide.pdf
It's a good quick condensed study guide.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Finally passed my ITIL foundation cert today! I half assed studying for a month or so off and on, and just really started focusing on it this past week. I think it was actually harder for me to pass than my CCNA. Just not hands on at all, a ton of business lingo and terminology. For those of you who are interested I used the Sybex book by Liz Gallagher and then this helped me quite a bit as well:
http://www.inf.unideb.hu/~fazekasg/oktatas/ITIL_V3_Study_Guide.pdf
It's a good quick condensed study guide.
I'm also studying for itil. I have some questions, would you mind if I emailed you?

Mouse Cadet fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 19, 2014

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Is one of the questions why am I doing this?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Empty-quoting this.

For content: Five-year-old Passes Microsoft Exam
I wish the article would say what test the kid took. They say he's an MCP so it can't be one of those MTA tests... Probably the one I'm studying for (70-680). :eng99:

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

... Yes

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

For content: Five-year-old Passes Microsoft Exam
I wish the article would say what test the kid took. They say he's an MCP so it can't be one of those MTA tests... Probably the one I'm studying for (70-680). :eng99:

I heard from elsewhere it was something like the Windows 7 Desktop cert.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

The reason they give you an hour for the test is so that you can quietly weep to yourself for lost time before composing yourself and going forward.

After dealing with regulators and quality control people in meetings for hours on end I know this is as far as I would ever want to go with ITIL or anything related to it.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Just passed my Net+ with a 746 :sweatdrop: I feel kind of ashamed for not doing better but at least I got it out of the way. Onto Sec+ now, I'm hoping the objectives aren't as broad so it's a little easier to focus my attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Congrats! A pass is a pass. I passed SWITCH by literally one point (and then got a perfect on TSHOOT, so I guess it evened out).