Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Thanks, I might check that BT adapter out if I really really want to use my phone but yeah $80 seems like a lot for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
I got the Tune2Air for my GTi and it owns. It seemed pricey but it got the exact job done that I wanted and it's worked every day without a hiccup for the last two months.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Anyone here had experience with the higher output version of the 1.4 TSI you get in late 00s Golfs or the 1.8 TSI in similar age A3s?

There seems to be much less information about these online than the 2.0 T

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Ezekial posted:

I have a 2004 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8 Liter with the turbo. I used to drive a 2008 GLI. Granted that was a 2.0 liter engine that was turbo charged as well, but that had infinitely more torque.It slammed coming out of stops which was amazing. Is there any way I can make my A4 anywhere close to the man my GLI was? I'm not willing to spend 5 grand over a turbo kit, but do you recommend getting a performance ECU? And does a new exhaust system really....really do much besides add a few horsepower and make it louder. (Keep in mind my county is a county that has bullshit emissions tests...one of the only counties in my state.)
Also is it possible to edit the ECU myself? Or do I have to send it in?

1.8t? or just a NA engine? If it's the turbo, a new ecu program runs about 600 bucks (cheaper if you watch for yearly sales) and bumps power about 40hp/40torks. My 04.5 GLI had the tune and it definitely gives it a bit more pep. Factory on the 1.8t is only like 180hp. The 2.0t is a lot faster off the line than the 1.8t was. I got straight smoked by a 2.0t Passat that lined up against me back when I had my 1.8t.
This might help.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2858460-Complete-Idiots-Guide-To-Basic-Modding-For-1-8T

For the love of god don't post there though.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:
2012 Jetta SE, automatic, 45k mileage.

So, it was pretty drat cold today in upstate NY mid 20s on the way to work, mid teens on the trip home, no issues starting or warming up, ran fine, and about 15 minutes or so into the trip, I went to clean the windshield, and the washer fluid came out, but the wipers themselves wouldn't budge at all. Blades weren't frozen to the windshield or anything like that, and there did not appear to be any ice or other block. It sounded like the wiper motor was running, but I am not 100% positive on that, but I can certainly check on the way to work tomorrow. For informative purposes, it did rain last night, and while I am pretty sure that I did turn the wipers off before shutting the car off, there is a possibility that the wipers were on the lowest intermittent setting when the car started today. I tried the wipers a few times on the trip home tonight, and nothing. It's after midnight, so obviously I'm not going to tinker with it tonight, but it will sit outside all night in the cold. Could this just be a case of it just being the first real cold day, and things being a bit stubborn, or something beyond that? What do I look for tomorrow?

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Golf R priced to start at 36500.

http://autoblog.com/2014/11/19/2015-vw-golf-r-pricing-official

Looks like a pretty healthy competitor to the STi

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

drizzle posted:

Golf R priced to start at 36500.

http://autoblog.com/2014/11/19/2015-vw-golf-r-pricing-official

Looks like a pretty healthy competitor to the STi

Except it won't be made out of tin foil and sound like an air cooled vw with a bad cylinder.

Glad to finally start seeing some info coming out. I wonder if that price is for the DSG (which is the only way to get it for the first few months QQ).

Also, hold the loving phone. Is this going to actually happen? http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/18/volkswagen-golf-r-variant-official/ I'd love an actual R wagon, not R-line, but an actual awd 290hp wagon.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

Also, hold the loving phone. Is this going to actually happen? http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/18/volkswagen-golf-r-variant-official/ I'd love an actual R wagon, not R-line, but an actual awd 290hp wagon.

So....its basically the VW arm version of the Audi RS2?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

veedubfreak posted:

Except it won't be made out of tin foil and sound like an air cooled vw with a bad cylinder.

Glad to finally start seeing some info coming out. I wonder if that price is for the DSG (which is the only way to get it for the first few months QQ).

Not in the US so far, and only comes with a DSG. Looks hot as hell though.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KakerMix posted:

Not in the US so far, and only comes with a DSG. Looks hot as hell though.

Ya, we never get the cool stuff. What are the odds of the R400 coming here and still being under 50,000?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

veedubfreak posted:

Ya, we never get the cool stuff. What are the odds of the R400 coming here and still being under 50,000?

I'd say zero. I'm far from an expert, but I imagine that VW will sell that Golf R Longroof before we get the R400 here in the states. If it did come here I'd also expect it to be closer to 60k rather than 50k.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KakerMix posted:

I'd say zero. I'm far from an expert, but I imagine that VW will sell that Golf R Longroof before we get the R400 here in the states. If it did come here I'd also expect it to be closer to 60k rather than 50k.

Golf R Longroof sounds like a great name for it too.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
I posted this in the stupid questions thread but maybe it's better here.

Anyone care to comment on an 2004 Audi A4 with 133,000 for 7k?

It seems like a beautiful car in good condition for the price but I'm nervous the cost of maintenance will be too high. I definitely cannot afford to spend 3k year on upkeep or whatever. He has had a few things done that should make it good to go for some time (air suspension done at 115400 miles, head gasket replaced at 94500 miles, timing belt with waterpump done at 98600 miles) but I don't want to buy a car Im going to need to work on constantly a year or two down the road.

Any advice?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hobbez posted:

I posted this in the stupid questions thread but maybe it's better here.

Anyone care to comment on an 2004 Audi A4 with 133,000 for 7k?

It seems like a beautiful car in good condition for the price but I'm nervous the cost of maintenance will be too high. I definitely cannot afford to spend 3k year on upkeep or whatever. He has had a few things done that should make it good to go for some time (air suspension done at 115400 miles, head gasket replaced at 94500 miles, timing belt with waterpump done at 98600 miles) but I don't want to buy a car Im going to need to work on constantly a year or two down the road.

Any advice?

Manual or Auto?

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Auto

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

That would be my biggest worry.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
So I finally got a new DD and she is a beauty!
http://imgur.com/4wskbgQ
It was £300 quid and its the straightest body for a car that age I have ever seen (not including valuable cars!) The interior is the beige cloth monstrosity but for that money I am not complaining. The alloys look crap and I think the Mk4 ones will fit, am I right? Not a spot of rust and almost everything works. Just the interior light, and there is a short for the lighting behind the heater controls. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. Probably don't want to remove the whole dash to track it down though. Oh and the PO didn't include the radio faceplate, will i need an adapter for my regular headunit?

Last VW I had was a T25 camper so this is plush inside :)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So how about the MK7 Golf TDI going back to twist beam axle in the rear for the US market because the new MQB platform apparently puts the urea tank where the rear suspension goes? Seems like a pretty VW thing to do.

Ezekial
Jan 10, 2014
Here again with the 2004 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8L Turbo
So I was driving down the highway and realized my windshield was dirty. so I sprayed it. When I got to my destination, "What the hell happened to my bumper?" One of those little squares flew off. Asked my father, Apparently they come up to spray my lights.
1. What is the best place to find a replacement?
2. How the hell do I turn that bullshit off?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ezekial posted:

Here again with the 2004 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8L Turbo
So I was driving down the highway and realized my windshield was dirty. so I sprayed it. When I got to my destination, "What the hell happened to my bumper?" One of those little squares flew off. Asked my father, Apparently they come up to spray my lights.
1. What is the best place to find a replacement?
2. How the hell do I turn that bullshit off?

With a vag-com maybe? Otherwise the lights should only be sprayed when the lights are on.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Throatwarbler posted:

So how about the MK7 Golf TDI going back to twist beam axle in the rear for the US market because the new MQB platform apparently puts the urea tank where the rear suspension goes? Seems like a pretty VW thing to do.

I'm surprised they went back to urea, maybe the DPF failures were too common? or the parts are too expensive?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm surprised they went back to urea, maybe the DPF failures were too common? or the parts are too expensive?

I just can't believe there isn't anywhere else they can put it to not have to design the loving suspension around it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

fknlo posted:

I just can't believe there isn't anywhere else they can put it to not have to design the loving suspension around it.

One of the guys at work just got a diesel cruz, they removed the spare tire to put the urea tank. So it could be worse.

I would also assume that the suspension is cheaper this way, along with bringing up mpg by using urea. The regen on my TDI tends to eat about 4-5mpg per tank.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

It probably has both

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I live in Madison, wi where they don't believe in salting roads because it might kill fish in the lake. I have a 2010 gti whose tires aren't keeping up with the snow. I drive 5000 miles/year and only plan on keeping this car until 2017. Are continental dws tires my best bet?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Those are alright in light snow, I haven't taken them on out in a blizzard. I got some Dunlop Winter Sport 3D's (seems like the 4Ds are the replacements for those) and they are great in the winter, but you have to have juggle two sets of wheels.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Residency Evil posted:

I live in Madison, wi where they don't believe in salting roads because it might kill fish in the lake. I have a 2010 gti whose tires aren't keeping up with the snow. I drive 5000 miles/year and only plan on keeping this car until 2017. Are continental dws tires my best bet?

I ran those for 2 years in the snow (still on them but only in nice weather). They're decent in the snow, but after 2 seasons on them I went back to a dedicated winter tire.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
The CEL on my 2009 Rabbit (160k) came on and I pulled codes for the knock sensor and MAP sensor. I looked around and replacing them seems a little out of my comfort zone. What would be a fair ballpark price for a shop to charge?

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

Can anyone give me an overview on worst case scenario for a blown headgasket on a vr6? Is the headgasket+labor+possible head resurface the extent of it?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sound posted:

Can anyone give me an overview on worst case scenario for a blown headgasket on a vr6? Is the headgasket+labor+possible head resurface the extent of it?

The worst case scenario is you overheated it or the oil is so contaminated with coolant that the bearings are trashed along with everything else and it's not economically viable to even attempt to repair the motor and it just needs to be swapped.

That's not at all likely, even without more information from you. But if you want the worst case, it's definitely "new motor".

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Motronic posted:

The worst case scenario is you overheated it or the oil is so contaminated with coolant that the bearings are trashed along with everything else and it's not economically viable to even attempt to repair the motor and it just needs to be swapped.

That's not at all likely, even without more information from you. But if you want the worst case, it's definitely "new motor".

I would assume worst case = rebuild the motor to take more boost.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

I would assume worst case = rebuild the motor to take more boost.

"Rebuild" for any purpose is often not a financially reasonable option on terribly overheated or water-lubricated motors when there are many in the salvage yard to choose from.

That's the point I was getting at.

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

Motronic posted:

Headgasket blew on the highway, engine still runs. Coolant system was pressurized and blew a coolant hose.

It's a car I am considering buying, and now it is at a $9k discount.

What can I ask to determine the likelihood of further damage?

intheflesh
Nov 4, 2008
I'm likely asking for some advice in an area which probably nobody has any expertise, but here goes anyway.

I have a 2000 C5 Audi A6 (2.7T qm if that matters) that is leaking a non-trivial amount of water to the inside. I live in Washington, so water intrusion is a constant problem. The main problem is, I look online and everybody tells me to check for water dribbling down into the front passenger foot well, which originates from either the drainage tray under the battery in the cowl or from clogged sunroof drains. I had this problem, cleaned out my sunroof drains and checked under the battery: that problem went away, but another remains. Now, my leak is into the rear passenger footwell, coming directly out of the vent which directs air to the rear passenger's feet. This leak has been "impressive", as I currently have literally standing water above the carpet. I sop it up every time I drive, but there has to be a reason and a solution to this flood. I am not loosing any coolant, which was my first thought, and the Bentley manual does not provide much insight into why the leak would be coming through the rear passenger foot vent, only suggestions to clean out the sunroof drains which I already have. The only other symptom I have is that both the driver's and passenger's front seatbelts are slightly damp after a heavy rain. I'm thinking since the seatbelts are held in the B pillar, directly below which on the inside are the foot vents, maybe they are connected??
On a nice day, I've sat inside which a roommate douses the car with a hose, and nothing seems to happen, so I'm at a complete loss.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sound posted:

Headgasket blew on the highway, engine still runs. Coolant system was pressurized and blew a coolant hose.

It's a car I am considering buying, and now it is at a $9k discount.

What can I ask to determine the likelihood of further damage?

You need a partial teardown to know if there is more damage.

Coolant exhaust gas tests and leak down tests can only tell you what's getting where, not WHY. While a head gasket is a likely cause it can be a cracked head, cracked block, or the head could have gotten hot enough that it will turn into a pretzel when it's removed rendering it useless.

What was this thing priced at to begin with and exactly what is it? It may be financially reasonable to repair with a motor swap at the right price, it may not be. But you should assume it's a motor swap and be pleasantly surprised if it's less than that.

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

Motronic posted:

You need a partial teardown to know if there is more damage.

Coolant exhaust gas tests and leak down tests can only tell you what's getting where, not WHY. While a head gasket is a likely cause it can be a cracked head, cracked block, or the head could have gotten hot enough that it will turn into a pretzel when it's removed rendering it useless.

What was this thing priced at to begin with and exactly what is it? It may be financially reasonable to repair with a motor swap at the right price, it may not be. But you should assume it's a motor swap and be pleasantly surprised if it's less than that.

It's a b5 s4 avant with a built vr6 swap, turbo pushing 30 psi, lots of other custom work. Original price was around $25k.

The owner was driving it to me, said it blew the hg at part throttle and he shut it down immediately. I am out of town until Saturday so I have some time to consider it.

Typically I would walk away, but part of the deal was a trade for my current car, which would be a major PITA to sell, especially for what it is worth in this particular trade.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah. Run away.

It's a basket case of PO fuckery that he's trying to unload on you.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

My one rear window seems to have switched polarity in the window switches.
Up is now down and down is now up.
Happens with the key in the door lock trick too.
All the rest of the windows will go down and that one will go up and the other way round too.
2007 gti
Anybody else ever seen anything like that?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Thumposaurus posted:

My one rear window seems to have switched polarity in the window switches.
Up is now down and down is now up.
Happens with the key in the door lock trick too.
All the rest of the windows will go down and that one will go up and the other way round too.
2007 gti

Does it work all the time or only intermittantly? My map lights were doing something similar; a small screw had come loose and was shorting it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

intheflesh
Nov 4, 2008

Thumposaurus posted:

Does the window do anything funky like go halfway up then down again? I know the scissor style window regulators that older VWs had could get bound up and skip some teeth on the window motor to regulator gearset which would cause strange things like that, but I thought they all had slider and cable style regulators now

I had a thing where one of the windows would only go halfway down and auto up/down wouldn't work at all, something about the window forgetting how far up and down it can go. Making the computer or whatever re-learn how to do windows worked for me.
Try this:
All windows up
Disconnect the battery for a few minutes
Connect battery, get in car, ignition on
With each window individually, roll all the way down, wait a second, roll all the way up.
Repeat with each window (and sunroof if you have it)