Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Is that series based on those lovely Fables comics? My favorite thing was watching my left-wing comic-nerd friends slowly grow more and more shrill in their defense of it as the author let his lovely politics leak into the story. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Is that series based on those lovely Fables comics? My favorite thing was watching my left-wing comic-nerd friends slowly grow more and more shrill in their defense of it as the author let his lovely politics leak into the story. :allears:

Yes.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Though as I understand it, the devs pretty much just bought the rights to the characters and setting and then did their own, better, thing.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Elfface posted:

Though as I understand it, the devs pretty much just bought the rights to the characters and setting and then did their own, better, thing.

Sounds about the same as what they did with The Walking Dead.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Small Frozen Thing posted:

What lovely politics?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

PJOmega posted:

What lovely politics?

Bill Willingham's wiki page posted:

He describes himself as "rabidly pro-Israel" and says that Fables "was intended from the beginning" as a metaphor for the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, although he argues that Fables is not "a political tract. It never will be, but at the same time, it's not going to shy away from the fact that there are characters who have real moral and ethical centers, and we're not going to apologize for it."[5]

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

PJOmega posted:

What lovely politics?

Weaponized abortions

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

PJOmega posted:

What lovely politics?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Oh, good thing I read this. I was tempted to pick it up sometime, but now I know not to. Thanks!

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I just finished Dishonored finally, and I love that you can sign your name in the guestbook during the party mission. My friend summed up the two best outcomes for it well: either you murder everyone at the party and when the city watch investigates later, the only clue they find amidst the chaos is your name in the book, or nobody has any idea that anything is amiss except for the fact that Lady Boyle is missing, and again, the only clue is your name in the book.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I like the old man just not giving a poo poo about his rant.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Buzkashi posted:

I just finished Dishonored finally, and I love that you can sign your name in the guestbook during the party mission. My friend summed up the two best outcomes for it well: either you murder everyone at the party and when the city watch investigates later, the only clue they find amidst the chaos is your name in the book, or nobody has any idea that anything is amiss except for the fact that Lady Boyle is missing, and again, the only clue is your name in the book.

The game will pick up on this, and later on you can find a note that says something like "We found the name of the most wanted man in the country in this party's guestbook. It's probably just some wiseass who thinks he's funny, but just thought you should know, sir".

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Screaming Idiot posted:

Oh, good thing I read this. I was tempted to pick it up sometime, but now I know not to. Thanks!

It's only the same setting, little, if any,
of the plot and characterization is the same.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I like the comic, even though I groaned when I read that page. The game itself was pretty cool too, especially since it could do its own thing without worrying about canon - though obviously some characters can't die. Of course, this isn't really an issue in the world of Fables, where a number of characters can come back to life unless tossed down the Witching Well.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Didn't realize Bigby was acting as an author mouthpiece there, makes it even more groan worthy. Thought it was actually denigrating Bigby by having him reflect Israel's unofficial Mad Dog policy with why no one will mess with Bigby. Couple that with Gepetto's complete dismissal and it seems to be Bigby huffing and puffing with no wind emergent.

I'd also forgotten about Snow's holier-than-thou response to abortions but again associated it with a singular character rather than author mouthpiece. Isn't it outright stated that Fable pregnancies are incredibly rare? Anyway, I'm trying to find the panels that refer to Frau Totenkinder (literally Mrs. Child Killer) weaponizing abortions.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

PJOmega posted:

[...] Frau Totenkinder (literally Mrs. Child Killer) weaponizing abortions.

I don't know anything about Fables, but that translation is flat out wrong. A literal translation would be "children of the dead" ("Toten" being genitive case of Tote (the dead) and kinder (nom.case) (children).
In reality someone looked up two german words and combined them to sound cool.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

PJOmega posted:

Didn't realize Bigby was acting as an author mouthpiece there, makes it even more groan worthy. Thought it was actually denigrating Bigby by having him reflect Israel's unofficial Mad Dog policy with why no one will mess with Bigby. Couple that with Gepetto's complete dismissal and it seems to be Bigby huffing and puffing with no wind emergent.

I'd also forgotten about Snow's holier-than-thou response to abortions but again associated it with a singular character rather than author mouthpiece. Isn't it outright stated that Fable pregnancies are incredibly rare? Anyway, I'm trying to find the panels that refer to Frau Totenkinder (literally Mrs. Child Killer) weaponizing abortions.

I'm not familiar with the game or the comics but it looks like everything about them is abominably stupid

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
BR'ER RABBIT
But hows we gone stop all dem purple chainsaw monkeys from votin' for de ebil Dr. Totensturm?

SEXY RED RIDING HOOD
Listen up, motherfucker. Ever heard of a country called Bosnia?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

swamp waste posted:

BR'ER RABBIT
But hows we gone stop all dem purple chainsaw monkeys from votin' for de ebil Dr. Totensturm?

SEXY RED RIDING HOOD
Listen up, motherfucker. Ever heard of a country called Bosnia?

Sounds like you basically get Fables, yes. I can't believe it's still going, honestly.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

In Final Fantasy XIV:A Realm Reborn you can fish.

Ok you can do that in many MMOs, but what I love in this game is that there are different animations for different types of lures, for example: you do a real basic cast with something like a worm, but you do a proper fly rod cast when using a fly as bait. It's awesome. The animations change depending on the size and quality of the catch too.

You also get a little chair to sit on if you use the emote /sit while fishing. The only way it could be better is if you could /drink a beer while doing it.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

a kitten posted:

In Final Fantasy XIV:A Realm Reborn you can fish.

Ok you can do that in many MMOs, but what I love in this game is that there are different animations for different types of lures, for example: you do a real basic cast with something like a worm, but you do a proper fly rod cast when using a fly as bait. It's awesome. The animations change depending on the size and quality of the catch too.

You also get a little chair to sit on if you use the emote /sit while fishing. The only way it could be better is if you could /drink a beer while doing it.

Alot of that was in ffxi to. not the sitting but the casts were different per bait. Is xiv a minigame of beating the stamina of the fish as well thats heavily botted because you make crazy gil?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Rise of Nations has trade routes which automatically generate a road between your cities. If the there are split paths in the road a little directional signpost pops up.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

a kitten posted:

You could drink the beer in real life while playing this.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
In DotA 2, one cosmetic for the character Shadow Fiend changes him from a shadowy wraith creature to a fiery-shadowy wraith creature.

If you walk into the river on the map with it equipped, steam rises up.

Apparently getting attacked by the water bolt of Morphling does it too :allears:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Away all Goats posted:

Rise of Nations has trade routes which automatically generate a road between your cities. If the there are split paths in the road a little directional signpost pops up.

God, Rise of Nations is the PYF little thing for RTS games.

When I was little I liked how infantry came in groups of three because it made battles seem three times as huge compared to Rise of Empires.

I adore how, even though every nation shared a large amount of their unit pool with the others, they all get individual models and skins. Even though the Japanese just get generic "fighters" for their WW2 era fighter planes, they have zero models. Same with German Focke-Wulfs and so on.

And the best thing is how Japan transitions from renaissance era to the Enlightenment age. Samurai upgrade to gun samurai. :black101:

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.
Just finished the Borderlands Pre-Sequel, and I love how the whole game can just be viewed as the lesson that one bad day at the office can drive you crazy.

I mean, in the broader sense, it's about hubris and how we meet our fate on the path we take to avoid it, for Jack, Zarpedon, and even Lilith. But they take that ancient FPS trick of stretching out the missions with interruptions from the enemy and turn it from a story of good vs. evil into a story about how loving annoying all of the interruptions are. None of it seems serious, which fits the Borderlands theme, but more than anything, it's Jack's constant monologue that reflects my gamer's voice whenever you think you're done with a mission, and the game derails you. SON OF A TAAAAINT!

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

snergle posted:

Alot of that was in ffxi to. not the sitting but the casts were different per bait. Is xiv a minigame of beating the stamina of the fish as well thats heavily botted because you make crazy gil?

Nope, mining is botted more because you need crystal shards for crafting anything so people do that instead. The fishing is just cast lure -> wait until the message pops up you caught a fish -> hit the reel in button once. Nice and easy.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

codenameFANGIO posted:

Sounds like you basically get Fables, yes. I can't believe it's still going, honestly.

The main series is on its last arc, actually. #146 came out today and it ends on 150.

Content: I finally got South Park: The Stick of Truth lately. I like all the random breakable crud that's strewn about; just gives me more to interact with.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Zopotantor posted:

You could drink the beer in real life while playing this.

Oh I do. :cheers:
But, my character deserves one too.

I didn't know XI had some of that as well, never fished in that, or Wow, or pretty much any other game unless they made me.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
It may not be drinking while you fish, but WoW had (Still has maybe, I dunno, haven't played in years) a type of alcohol that made you better at fishing.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I know fishing in WoW is sometimes seen as a a lovely mini game, but I appreciated the amount of effort that went into it. I'd spend time waiting for my guild to gather for a raid while fishing for the magical crawdad. It leant a good feel to my character. Sighing, I'd put away the fishing rod and pull out the weapons, don armour and go face horrors, then, job done, I'd go back to fishing. It was nice.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Nope, mining is botted more because you need crystal shards for crafting anything so people do that instead. The fishing is just cast lure -> wait until the message pops up you caught a fish -> hit the reel in button once. Nice and easy.

Mining wasn't as profitable later in ffxi but early on it was botted and later on it was warp hacking bots doing it.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Decided to replay Far Cry 3 again since I'm unlikely to pick up a copy of Far Cry 4 for another couple of months and I love that Jason Brody is essentially the same character as Chad from Tucker and Dale vs Evil.

I've also been playing through XCOM: Enemy Within for the first time and I'm loving how lowly rookies with a little planning and the right upgrades slowly rise from obscurity to walking killing machines. A sniper with squadsight, drat good ground, double tap, depth perception and wearing Archangel armour and the medal that boosts aim and critical chance when not near other squad members can rain down death like an angry god.

Also, ending every UFO capture mission by punching the commanding Ethereal through the wall of the bridge. :frogout:

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Holistic Detective posted:

Decided to replay Far Cry 3 again since I'm unlikely to pick up a copy of Far Cry 4 for another couple of months and I love that Jason Brody is essentially the same character as Chad from Tucker and Dale vs Evil.

I've also been playing through XCOM: Enemy Within for the first time and I'm loving how lowly rookies with a little planning and the right upgrades slowly rise from obscurity to walking killing machines. A sniper with squadsight, drat good ground, double tap, depth perception and wearing Archangel armour and the medal that boosts aim and critical chance when not near other squad members can rain down death like an angry god.

Also, ending every UFO capture mission by punching the commanding Ethereal through the wall of the bridge. :frogout:

Enemy Within played with every skill and stat randomiser second wave, ironman and (optionally) marathon on as well made for a hell of a ride.
You are left with an epic struggle where even the shittiest stat rookie had the potential to have a vitally important mix of skills and the loss of any unit makes a lot more difference since no two soldiers will have a completely identical function.

I'll miss you, that one heavy that could carry three healing sprays.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of Far Cry 4, something I thought was cool is how depending on where a character is from they'll pronounce the main character's name differently. His name is Ajay Ghale and people from Kyrat say it "Ah jay Gah lee." While Ajay (who grew up in America) and other Western characters say it "AJ Gale."

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Whats really great is that I googled "glass him" randomly at work (sometimes those last 5 minutes take forever to come) and the search results are just full of people complaining that they should of used clearer wording cause they didn't want to smash a shot glass onto the woodsman and they thought "glass him" meant pouring him a glass (:psyduck:)

Its no wonder gaming companies treat/think gamers are dumb, its cause they are.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Leal posted:

Whats really great is that I googled "glass him" randomly at work (sometimes those last 5 minutes take forever to come) and the search results are just full of people complaining that they should of used clearer wording cause they didn't want to smash a shot glass onto the woodsman and they thought "glass him" meant pouring him a glass (:psyduck:)

Its no wonder gaming companies treat/think gamers are dumb, its cause they are.

I thought the complainers were saying that they thought they'd clink glasses and drink with him. Still funny as hell though because I didn't expect Woody to go THUMP like that though.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I can't get over how good they made Halo 2 look in the Master Chief Collection. The cutscenes are really top notch. I love the way the Gravemind looks

Spoilers if you've never played Halo 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOMpggSWe-w&feature=youtu.be&t=29s

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Captain Lavender posted:

I can't get over how good they made Halo 2 look in the Master Chief Collection. The cutscenes are really top notch. I love the way the Gravemind looks

It looks like they're playing Little Shop of Horrors straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Captain Lavender posted:

So the Gravemind looks like a talking penis with a horrible necrotic infection now. Ya, I'd rather take the old talking-head-of-cabbage version over that any day because holy crap, that art direction is just so amazingly lovely. Same goes for the rest of what I've seen of Halo 2 Anniversary's cutscenes, really.