Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

No. Not yet.

(Has anyone got that old "Donna does 'on the internet' with the words" gif that I always used to put here?)

So we're waiting until 25 December 2014 on BBC One for the next Christmas special, starring Peter Capaldi as Doctor Who, Jenna Coleman as Clara and Nick Frost as, er, well, let's leave that an open question for the moment. No word yet on what happens after that. What we do know is that Father Christmas just totally walked into the TARDIS, guys!!!!!

I expect there are probably quite a few people out there wondering what the answer to the question "I want to get into this show, where's a good place to start?" is. Glad you asked! The first thing to do is to remember this.

The only things you need to know to appreciate the vast majority of Doctor Who stories is that the Doctor is an alien with a time machine whose idea of fun is having adventures in time and space, and he almost always brings one or more usually-human companions to enjoy the adventures with him. The rest'll come out in the wash.

Now, the actual answer to your question comes in two parts:

1). If you want to get into NewWho (that is, Doctor Who post-2005), I recommend starting with Deep Breath, the feature-length story that introduces the current Doctor, and 12 episodes later you'll be all caught up with us. If you want to carry on, you have two options. You could settle in for the long haul and go all the way back to Rose, the first episode of NewWho. (Which next year will be ten years ago. Don't all feel old at once, chaps.) Or you could go to The Eleventh Hour, the first episode under the guidance of the current showrunner.

2). If you want to get into Classic Who (Doctor Who from its beginning in 1963 to its non-cancellation cancellation in 1989 and that thing in 1996), for God's sake don't ask us because we'll all give you completely different answers and then have a slapfight about them, in accordance with the First Law of Doctor Who Fans: "No substantive discussion group will be able to entirely agree on the merits (or otherwise) of any given story, not even the "except X, that just sucked/rocked" corollary to this law." An excellent example of this is the four segments of a story known as "The Trial of a Time Lord". We generally agree that one of them is a misunderstood classic, one is enjoyable piffle, and the other two are hopeless, embarrassing failures that we should never speak of again. Unfortunately, what we can't ever agree on is which segments go in which category...

Be aware, the classic show is from more than one bygone eras of television production. I won't say the style's dated - it's just different to what you may be used to, and I'm not referring to things like the props, costumes or 'special' effects when I say "style". Something that may be useful to bear in mind is that five years before Doctor Who started, standard practice in British TV was that all programmes, including drama, were transmitted live, like a stage play. Broadcasters recording things to show later was still a slightly new and radical concept when Doctor Who began. Watch no more than one 25-minute episode (shut up, DoctorWhat) per day and that'll help a lot.

Ignoring all those caveats for a moment, some choices that don't cause arguments too often are:

Hartnell: The Beginning, The Aztecs
Troughton: The Tomb of the Cybermen
Pertwee: Spearhead from Space, Carnival of Monsters
Baker T: The Robots of Death (pick this one)
Davison: Frontios
Baker C: Vengeance on Varos, Revelation of the Daleks
McCoy: Dragonfire, Remembrance of the Daleks

Note that these are not necessarily selected because they're the best; more that I think they're the most representative of their time (regeneration stories and the occasional other that's greatly enhanced by knowledge of past stories are disqualified); and Robots of Death is particularly good when giving recommendations as to where you should go next, depending on what you liked and what you didn't like about it.

Once you get started, you're encouraged to ask for suggestions for what you should watch next (as long as you don't mind the slapfights that will inevitably start), or you could quite comfortably just pick things where the blurb sounds good and roll with it. DVDs of the classic series (well over 100 stories at last count) are frequently released (and, indeed, re-released) by the BBC, and stories are usually released individually. There are a few boxed sets but they're very much the exception rather than the rule. They are also absolutely stuffed full of wonderful, wonderful extras: as Komrade Hitlerstalin put it a (very long!) while ago, they don't just throw the kitchen sink in, they also include the rusty old spare drainpipe lying in a closet somewhere. Here's a cool (and nerdy) picture I found on the internet somewhere: http://en.academic.ru/pictures/enwiki/68/Doctor_Who_-_classic_series_DVDs.jpg

:siren: I shall now reiterate the spoiler policy for the benefit of the hard of understanding! We've been doing really well lately about not having ridiculous shitfits over this. Long may that continue. This thread must, by order of the mods, be able to cater for people who will not necessarily have been spoiled for a plot detail. Don't care if it was in the trailer. It's still a plot spoiler. There is a no-holds-barred spoiler thread available for those of you who have succumbed to your frankly unnatural and disgusting urges to know what happens next before it's happened. The counterpoint to that is that casting news is not a spoiler; it's impossible to avoid because new Doctors or companions are a major event in Britain and it's almost impossible to consume any kind of media (or even, on some days, just to go outside) without finding out that someone's leaving or joining the show.

And anyone thinking of joining the thread might like to bear in mind that as a discussion group, some of us have been talking about NewWho for nine years now. We've long ago exhausted our supply of praise for that thing that you just saw and liked, and it's a lot easier to slag something off than to praise it, especially when it comes with a ready supply of running gags to deploy.

When I read this thread, I always just read everything with this attached caveat: there's almost certainly bits about the the subject of discussion that the whinging git liked, but it's easier to spark discussion by moaning about something than by praising it. We would like it very much if you could share your opinions, and then defend them. That's discussion. This is a discussion thread. That's what it's for. Anyone caught bemoaning THE THREAD HIVEMIND CONSENSUS will be laughed at.

Speaking of wizened old grognards, I'd just like to remind us all that the Doctor Who Dynamic Rankings are a thing you can do, and you should vote early and often.

Finally, two weird friends have recently been working their way through NewWho together. One of them is completely new to the show, started hatewatching it, and now he loves it as much as we all do. You might enjoy reading their wacky misadventures and offbeat shenanigans. Don't spoil him. Don't hint at spoiling him. Don't cleverly dance around an upcoming plot point. You're not clever. You're just going to get the banhammer.

I'll give the last word to BabelColour. He lives on Youtube and makes the best tribute videos for anything there is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeKkbaj6jSw

Have at it.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Yeah, it was about time for a new thread.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

No mention of plum pudding?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I'm a durp, ignore

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 20, 2014

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Feels weird being more active on SA and thus being in the first page of a new thread. Ah well, excited for Christmas!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One point I will carry over from the last thread- DoctorWhat, while Time Force did carry a lot of elements from TimeRanger, the most important aspect of the show that defined it as TRYING to be more of a genre series was an entirely American creation and idea.

Ransik. Ransik was the much needed human face on the central conflict that made up the core of Time Force, and has no REAL equal in the Sentai version. The fact that they got Bennet from loving Commando to play him is only icing on the cake.

THUS IS THE RANGER CHAT NERDERY.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
All I want for Christmas is a decent episode.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Big Mean Jerk posted:

All I want for Christmas is a decent episode.

Sadly, because you're on the naughty list there's now zero loving chance of this happening.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

PriorMarcus posted:

Sadly, because you're on the naughty list there's now zero loving chance of this happening.

It's my wish every year. :smith:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Burkion posted:

One point I will carry over from the last thread- DoctorWhat, while Time Force did carry a lot of elements from TimeRanger, the most important aspect of the show that defined it as TRYING to be more of a genre series was an entirely American creation and idea.

Ransik. Ransik was the much needed human face on the central conflict that made up the core of Time Force, and has no REAL equal in the Sentai version. The fact that they got Bennet from loving Commando to play him is only icing on the cake.

I wouldn't know about the Ransik thing, I don't actually watch Sentai or Toku and, apart from a brief exploration of Kamen Rider W, never have. I just read somewhere that Time Force was one of the more faithful pre-Disney adaptations.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas without plum pudding!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
And because absolutely nobody demanded it...an index of all my reviews. Linked to my Wordpress so those without archives may enjoy.

X X X X X

Third Doctor
Classic Who
Inferno

Fourth Doctor
Classic Who
The Talons of Weng-Chiang | The Android Invasion

Big Finish
Fourth Doctor Adventures
Season One
Destination Nerva | The Renaissance Man | The Wrath of the Iceni | Energy of the Daleks | Trail of the White Worm | The Osiedon Adventure

Fifth Doctor
Big Finish
Main Range
Phantasmagoria | TheLand of the Dead | Red Dawn | Winter for the Adept | Loups-Garoux | The Eye of the Scorpion | Primeval | The Mutant Phase | Spare Parts | The Church and the Crown | Nekromanteia | Creatures of Beauty | Omega | The Axis of Insanity | The Roof of the World | The Game | Three's a Crowd | The Council of Nicaea

Fifth Doctor Box Set
Psychodrome | Iterations of I

Sixth Doctor
Classic Who
Attack of the Cybermen

Big Finish
Main Range
Whispers of Terror | The Marian Conspiracy | The Spectre of Lanyon Moor | The Holy Terror | Bloodtide | Project: Twilight | The One Doctor | The Apocalypse Element | ...ish] | The Sandman | Jubilee | ...and the Pirates, or the Lass that Lost a Sailor | Project: Lazarus | Davros | The Wormery | Arrangements for War | Medicinal Purposes | The Juggernauts | Catch-1782 | Thicker Than Water

Seventh Doctor
Big Finish
Main Range
The Fearmonger | The Fires of Vulcan | The Genocide Machine | Dust Breeding | Colditz | The Rapture | Bang-Bang-A-Boom! | Project: Lazarus | Flip-Flop | Master | The Harvest | Dreamtime | Unregenerate!

New Virgin Adventures
The Shadow of the Scourge | The Dark Flame

Eigth Doctor
Big Finish
Main Range
Storm Warning | Sword of Orion | The Stones of Venice | Minuet in Hell | Invaders from Mars | The Chimes of Midnight | Seasons of Fear | Embrace the Darkness | The Time of the Daleks | Neverland | Zagreus | Scherzo | The Creed of the Kromon | The Natural History of Fear | The Twlight Kingdom | Faith Stealer | The Last | Caerdroia | The Next Life | Terror Firma

Miscellaneous
Multi-Doctor
The Sirens of Time | The Light at the End

Companion Chronicles
Peri and the Piscon Paradox | Solitaire

Twelfth Doctor
Season 8
Deep Breath | Into the Dalek | Robot of Sherwood | Listen | Time Hiest | The Caretaker | Kill the Moon | Mummy on the Orient Express | Flatline | In the Forst of the Night | Dark Water | Death in Heaven | Last Christmas

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 22, 2015

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Burkion posted:

Generally, I think American villains help the series better, given how popular RPM, Dino Thunder, etc are. Lifting villains directly from the Sentai makes them more lazy, as seen with the Neo Saban seasons. Dino Charge having a American villain bodes well.

Why isn't the PR thread more active? :saddowns:

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Soooo I just started listening to the Sixth audio 'Doctor Who and the Pirates' and was immediately struck by it being goofy as poo poo. I did some research and discovered that it is, apparently, a musical.

In all honesty, is it awful?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Why can't we have some audio goodness in the OP?
We have couple of reviewers, some listeners and at least 3 8th doctor avatars in this thread!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

evenworse username posted:

Soooo I just started listening to the Sixth audio 'Doctor Who and the Pirates' and was immediately struck by it being goofy as poo poo. I did some research and discovered that it is, apparently, a musical.

Only one episode is truly a "musical." It's very musical-esque, but only the third episode is full blown Gilbert and Sullivan.

Here! Have a link to my review.

http://tinyurl.com/ntoen9x

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

adhuin posted:

Why can't we have some audio goodness in the OP?
We have couple of reviewers, some listeners and at least 3 8th doctor avatars in this thread!

I agree! I'm working on an index of my reviews...well, it'll be a LINK to a vast index of my stuff to save clutter and space. It's up to J-Ru and everyone else if they want to throw up theirs.

I'll work on it this weekend while binging through this BBC show someone recommend - El Dorado.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Listen to the whole story. It's actually really poignant.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

I'll work on it this weekend while binging through this BBC show someone recommend - El Dorado.

Fun fact: Mark Millar made jokes about how bad Eldorado was when he wrote stories for the UK's official Sonic the Hedgehog / Sega comic in 1993.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Some starting recommendations for where to start would be good.

I'm still working through 8th Doctor audios, but I'd recommend Dark Eyes 1 as the best starting point for him.
Blood of the Daleks would be another good start.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

CobiWann posted:

Only one episode is truly a "musical." It's very musical-esque, but only the third episode is full blown Gilbert and Sullivan.

Here! Have a link to my review.

http://tinyurl.com/ntoen9x

Detective No. 27 posted:

Listen to the whole story. It's actually really poignant.

Thank you kindly.

I'm not in the right mood for a goofy adventure just now but I'll give it a go another time.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I see that no-one's done the "I see you've been going the thread up a bit, I don't like it." gag yet. I don't like it.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

adhuin posted:

Some starting recommendations for where to start would be good.

I'm still working through 8th Doctor audios, but I'd recommend Dark Eyes 1 as the best starting point for him.
Blood of the Daleks would be another good start.

quote:

For those looking to jump into Big Finish for the first time, I’ve listed some of the best audios to start with. With the exception of the Fourth Doctor, the stories below are $2.99 to download and a great way to get started!

Fourth Doctor – The Wrath of the Iceni, a purely historical tale set amidst one of Britain’s most romanticized periods.

Five Doctor – Spare Parts sees the unofficial origin of the Cybermen, while The Eye of the Scorpion introduces Erimem, an Egyptian Princess.

Sixth Doctor – The Marian Conspiracy introduces Evelyn Smythe, and Jubilee is one of the best Dalek stories ever written. Whispers of Terror is a good choice for Peri fans, while The One Doctor is a hysterical pantomime-style tale with Mel.

Seven Doctor – The Fires of Vulcan shows what happens when the Doctor gives up and shows what kind of companion Mel could have been with the proper writers. Colditz features none other than David Tennant as a Nazi officer and begins the growth of the teenager Ace into the young woman Dorothy McShane, and The Harvest follows up on that story by introducing Hex, a young male nurse, as a new companion.

Eighth Doctor – Storm Warning is a great re-introduction for the Eighth Doctor and the introduction of one Charlotte “Charley” Pollard, and, hands down, without question, The Chimes of Midnight is one of the Doctor Who stories ever. For those more keen towards the style of the revival, try Blood of the Daleks or possibly Human Resources, a two-parter with one hell of a first-episode twist.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

I didn't personally like the Storm Warning that much.

Also starting from there, "Minuet in Hell" is the 4th episode you'll hear!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

adhuin posted:

Also starting from there, "Minuet in Hell" is the 4th episode you'll hear!

Minuet in Hell is a rite of passage for Big Finish listeners...

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Thank you kindly.

I'm not in the right mood for a goofy adventure just now but I'll give it a go another time.

I'll go on record and say that Doctor Who and the Pirates is one of my favorite stories of all time, and not because of the...thingy. It takes a while to get going but the second half and the resolution are just all around amazing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I love Doctor Who and the Pirates, but not just because of the Thing, or because of the emotional arcs, or any of its other great intrinsic qualities.

I also love it for being called Doctor Who and the Pirates. There are people who shorten it to "...and the Pirates". These people are cowards.

(And for the record, it's Doctor Who and the Silurians, too!)

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.

CobiWann posted:

Minuet in Hell is a rite of passage for Big Finish listeners...

I will be the brave soul that defends Minuet In Hell. It's ridiculous and goofy, even if that wasn't the intent. It's so bad that it's good, in my opinion. Of course, it does help that I got it for $1 during the anniversary sale and had some foreknowledge of it from this thread.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

PurpleJesus posted:

I will be the brave soul that defends Minuet In Hell. It's ridiculous and goofy, even if that wasn't the intent.

I can't believe that wasn't the intent, at least for Marchosias and Yosemite Sam. I admit I can't rule out the possibility that the rest of the characters were supposed to be playing it straight, though.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

quote:

Five Doctor – Spare Parts sees the unofficial origin of the Cybermen, while The Eye of the Scorpion introduces Erimem, an Egyptian Princess.

I read this as Eminem and got really excited.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

CobiWann posted:

Fourth Doctor – The Wrath of the Iceni, a purely historical tale set amidst one of Britain’s most romanticized periods.

But that implies skipping The Renaissance Man which would be a HUGE mistake.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Detective No. 27 posted:

Christmas isn't Christmas without plum pudding.

When is a door not a door?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Emerson Cod posted:

Christmas isn't Christmas without plum pudding.

When is a door not a door?

When it's a... a raspberry jam jar?

God, now he's just loving with us!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
God drat, I'm going to have to listen to Chimes again soon. I listened to it about a year ago and I still can't believe how good it is.

Also yeah, Storm Warning is just OK, nothing crazy, but it is pretty essential for Chimes.

If you want to start with 8 I'd just say gently caress it and jump in with Storm Warning and go through it all. I had only listened to Light at the End before it, and I absolutely adore the audios now.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Tim Burns Effect posted:

But that implies skipping The Renaissance Man which would be a HUGE mistake.

I have enjoyed all of the Fourth Doctor ones with Leela up to The Crooked Man, which is as far as I've gotten. They're not uniformly great but they have all been entertaining. They do an interesting thing trying to get across Leela's level of badassery in 'White Ghosts' which was pretty rad, and Virginia Hey is in it!

Crooked Man is a fairly daring concept, too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Forgive the blatant self-advertising, but here's a post of all the write-ups I've done on various episodes of the revival and audios, since people have said they liked to have them all in one place.

Here's an index I've everything I've posted. Some reviews are incredibly short, and I can't seem to find what I wrote on most of season one of the 8th Doctor Adventures, but everything else should be covered. Man I write a lot about Doctor Who :sweatdrop:

Edit: Oh yeah, and be warned that most of the television write-ups feature a number of spoilers for future episodes as well, as they were all written months or years after I saw them on original airing. Audio write-ups may also feature references to episodes of the show, both classic and revival.

4th Doctor
The Renaissance Man

5th Doctor
The Land of the Dead | Loup-Garoux/The Eye of the Scorpion | Primeval | The Church and the Crown | Omega | The Axis of Insanity | The Roof of the World | The Game | Three's a Crowd | The Council of Nicaea | Singularity | The Kingmaker | The Gathering/The Veiled Leopard

6th Doctor
The Marian Conspiracy | Jubilee | Doctor Who and the Pirates | Whispers of Terror | The Spectre of Lanyon Moor | The Apocalypse Element | The Holy Terror | Project: Twilight | The One Doctor | Davros | The Wormery | Arrangements for War | Medicinal Purposes | The Juggernauts | Catch-1782 | Thicker Than Water | Pier Pressure | The Nowhere Place | The Reaping

7th Doctor
The Fearmonger | The Fires of Vulcan | Dust Breeding | Colditz | Flip-Flop | Master | The Harvest | Dreamtime | Unregenerate! | Live 34 | Night Thoughts | The Settling | Red | No Man's Land

8th Doctor
Monthly Range
Storm Warning | Sword of Orion | The Stones of Venice | Minuet in Hell | Invaders from Mars | The Chimes of Midnight | Seasons of Fear | Embrace the Darkness | The Time of the Daleks | Neverland | Zagreus | Scherzo/The Creed of Kromon | The Natural History of Fear | The Twilight Kingdom Faithstealer/The Last/Caerdroia/The Next Life | Terror Firma | Scaredy Cat | Other Lives | Time Works | Something Inside | Memory Lane
8th Doctor Adventures
Phobos | Human Resources 1 | Human Resources 2

9th Doctor
Rose | The End of the World | The Unquiet Dead | Aliens of London/World War 3 | Dalek | The Long Game | Father's Day | The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances | Boom Town | Bad Wolf | The Parting of the Ways

10th Doctor
Season 2
The Christmas Invasion | New Earth | Tooth and Claw | School Reunion | The Girl in the Fireplace | Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel | The Idiot's Lantern | The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit | Love and Monsters | Fear Her | Army of Ghosts | Doomsday

Season 3
The Runaway Bride | Smith & Jones | The Shakespeare Code | Gridlock | Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks | The Lazarus Experiment | 42 | Human Nature/The Family of Blood | Utopia | The Sound of Drums | The Last of the Time Lords | Time Crash

Season 4
Voyage of the Damned | Partners in Crime | The Fires of Pompeii | Planet of the Ood | The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky | The Doctor's Daughter | Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead | Midnight | Turn Left | The Stolen Earth/Journey's End

Year of Specials
The Next Doctor | Planet of the Dead | Waters of Mars | The End of Time

11th Doctor
Season 5
The Eleventh Hour (kinda) | The Beast Below | Victory of the Daleks | Time of Angels/Flesh & Stone | The Vampires of Venice | Amy's Choice | The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood | Vincent and the Doctor | The Lodger | The Pandorica Opens | The Big Bang | A Christmas Carol

Season 6
The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon | The Curse of the Black Spot | The Doctor's Wife | The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People | A Good Man Goes To War | Let's Kill Hitler | Night Terrors | The Girl Who Waited | The God Complex | Closing Time | The Wedding of River Song | The Doctor, The Widow & The Wardrobe

Season 7
Asylum of the Daleks | Dinosaurs on a Spaceship | A Town Called Mercy | The Power of Three | The Angels Take Manhattan | The Snowmen | The Bells of Saint John | The Rings of Akhaten | Cold War | Hide | Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS | The Crimson Horror | Nightmare in Silver | The Name of the Doctor | The Day of the Doctor | The Time of the Doctor

12th Doctor
Season 8
Deep Breath | Into the Dalek | Robot of Sherwood | Listen | Time Heist | The Caretaker | Kill the Moon | Mummy on the Orient Express | Flatline | In the Forest of the Night | Dark Water | Death in Heaven | Last Christmas

Big Finish Specials
The Sirens of Time | The Light at the End | UNIT: Dominion

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 17, 2015

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
It's not self advertising! You're giving the people what they want! And what they want is awesome! And some hugs. But mostly awesome.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

And some hugs.

Edit: Actually, since I'm posting links - here are most of the gifs I've posted over the years in the various threads:

William Hartnell | Patrick Troughton | Jon Pertwee | Tom Baker | Peter Davison | Colin Baker | Sylvester McCoy | Paul McGann | Christopher Eccleston | David Tennant | Matt Smith | Peter Capaldi

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 21, 2014

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
It's the holidays come early! This will be the best Christmas Walford has ever seen!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Could someone please post ian_levine.gif? I was telling someone about it earlier and she refused to believe its existence (despite knowing his reputation).

I tried searching tumblr for Ian Levine. I would recommend not searching tumblr for Ian Levine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

From the last thread:

Davros1 posted:

Andrew Collins plays Barnabas Collins in the 2 full cast Dark Shadows mini-series BF's done.

True, but that casting pre-dated Lidster's "era". Now he did choose to keep it for the upcoming Bloodlust (which with Jerry Lacy, David Selby, and Lara Parker in is pretty much a "must buy" for me), but if I had my choice I'd rather them find a soundalike for Frid. At first I thought the new full cast audios took place in modern times; reading the BF DW forums I now see they take place in the early 70s after the show ended. Which makes the whole "Barnabas and Julia went to Asia and lived happily ever after" thing which has been semi-canonized in fandom kinda impossible. Since he has a new body and all, and is probably going to be a Maggie Evans love interest again. :rolleyes: Barnabas/Julia 4 LYFE. :colbert:

Speaking of the BF forums, people there have recommended Peter Purves as doing a good Hartnell, so I'm dipping into some of his Companion Chronicles since I've pretty much gone through most of Frazer Hines' oeuvre. I always thought Steven was pretty cool anyway, so I'm looking forward to it. I picked up Bounty of Ceres which is brand new so I can hear him after he's had a few years to perfect his performances. Plus it has Maureen O'Brien so it's pretty "full cast" for a Hartnell. And even though (shock! horror!) I was never a huge T Bakes fan, I've started listening to my first 4th Doctor audio, Destination Nerva. So far so good, one episode in!

It really amazes me that as I get closer and closer to being "caught up" in my largely chronological threading through the Main Range that I have so many, many more great audios to listen to over so many other ranges. :allears:

• Locked thread