Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Midorka posted:

Hrm if the ID is correct then the scoville scale they rate around 100,000 scoville's which is pretty hot but not deathly. Do you find them hotter than habanero?
No but they're super compact little balls of heat, not a lot of flesh just thin membrane and a seed. There's no like more mild part of the pepper since they're so small. There's no splitting it open and scraping out the inside like you can do with most peppers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I made this sauce awhile back using 2 habeneros and it was too mild. So I added 4 more and it was still too mild. That's 6 drat habeneros so I don't know if the sauce is just incredibly well balanced or I got some bogus habeneros. The sauce is really good though, just needs to be hotter.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/05/mango-habanero-barbecue-sauce.html

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

wormil posted:

I made this sauce awhile back using 2 habeneros and it was too mild. So I added 4 more and it was still too mild. That's 6 drat habeneros so I don't know if the sauce is just incredibly well balanced or I got some bogus habeneros. The sauce is really good though, just needs to be hotter.

That sounds great. I'll have to try it.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I've made that. It is indeed a great sauce.

AgentCack
Nov 9, 2014
Hoy Fong's Sriracha. ALL THE WAY!
Mix three parts of that poo poo with 1 part ketchup, add a bit o' garlic. drat!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Bum the Sad posted:

No but they're super compact little balls of heat, not a lot of flesh just thin membrane and a seed. There's no like more mild part of the pepper since they're so small. There's no splitting it open and scraping out the inside like you can do with most peppers.

I don't tend to eat super hot peppers, because I just want the heat, and the flavour. Habaneros are too spicy for me. I'm generally happy with the thai bird chilies, because they pack some heat while having a great taste. It feels like a waste to remove the seeds though, so if a pepper is too hot, I'll choose another one that's milder rather than removing seeds/membranes.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

wormil posted:

Are you not using the whole pepper (flesh, veins and seeds)? That's the only problem I can think of other then being bogus peppers.

In other news, I'm planting datils come spring. The north floridaest pepper. It's like a fruitier citrusy habanero.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datil_pepper

\/\/ You might have been over-zealous in the seeding, maybe? I personally save the veins and seeds to the side and add later to taste, after mashing the heck out of them in my mortar and pestle. Do not use the same mortar and pestle that you crush the dog's glucosamine pills in, like I stupidly did once. Neither of us were very happy that night. \/\/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 11, 2014

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I removed the seeds because I didn't want them in the sauce.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

dino. posted:

I don't tend to eat super hot peppers, because I just want the heat, and the flavour. Habaneros are too spicy for me. I'm generally happy with the thai bird chilies, because they pack some heat while having a great taste. It feels like a waste to remove the seeds though, so if a pepper is too hot, I'll choose another one that's milder rather than removing seeds/membranes.

Really? In my experience, Thai chiles are much hotter than habaneros. At least, the ones I can get at various supermarkets are.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

wormil posted:

2tsp of seeded habaneros in over 3 cups of other stuff is weak as hell. that recipe will never be hot.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

FATWOLF posted:

2tsp of seeded habaneros in over 3 cups of other stuff is weak as hell. that recipe will never be hot.

That's what I needed to know. I rarely use habeneros because my wife hates spicy food.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I'm a big fan of not seeding things. It's a pain in the butt. I suggest using a mesh strainer to catch the seeds once the sauce is done.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Midorka posted:

I'm a big fan of not seeding things. It's a pain in the butt. I suggest using a mesh strainer to catch the seeds once the sauce is done.

I always get worried that might affect the flavour and make my stuff bitter (especially with dried chilies which I rehydrate, blend, and strain for other dishes). Is that a misplaced concern? Can i just simmer those fuckers whole without dicking around?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

CommonShore posted:

I always get worried that might affect the flavour and make my stuff bitter (especially with dried chilies which I rehydrate, blend, and strain for other dishes). Is that a misplaced concern? Can i just simmer those fuckers whole without dicking around?

I'm new to this so I can't give you an answer. My process for making hot sauce has been this though:

1: Wash peppers
2: Cut stems off and cut in half to check for any mold/bugs/etc.
3: Blend with vinegar
4: Simmer the mixture for 5 minutes
5: Re-blend after cooling
6: Loosely strain, pushing through the paste with a spatula
7: Mix other ingredients to taste
8: Blend and can.

I might be adding unnecessary steps, but the process seems to work nicely for me.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
That's a lot of blending. You can just skip the multiple blending and do it when you're ready to strain. Cooking with the membranes and seeds makes it spicy, not bitter. When rehydrating dried peppers, just blend the whole lot and strain.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

dino. posted:

That's a lot of blending. You can just skip the multiple blending and do it when you're ready to strain. Cooking with the membranes and seeds makes it spicy, not bitter. When rehydrating dried peppers, just blend the whole lot and strain.

My process may change once I get a Vitamix or something, but as of now I blend multiple times for the purpose of ensuring the best consistency and mix.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Midorka posted:

My process may change once I get a Vitamix or something, but as of now I blend multiple times for the purpose of ensuring the best consistency and mix.

But if you're straining it anyways, it shouldn't need it all, should it? As long as you've already broken the pepper in half to check for mold (which I've never seen, but I guess some people have different experiences?), it should be ready to cook down and flavour whatever thing you're cooking it in. Once the whole mess is cooked, I can certainly see blending it at that point. And if you're adding ginger or garlic or onion (or xanthan gum, for that matter), I can see blending it twice.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

dino. posted:

But if you're straining it anyways, it shouldn't need it all, should it? As long as you've already broken the pepper in half to check for mold (which I've never seen, but I guess some people have different experiences?), it should be ready to cook down and flavour whatever thing you're cooking it in. Once the whole mess is cooked, I can certainly see blending it at that point. And if you're adding ginger or garlic or onion (or xanthan gum, for that matter), I can see blending it twice.

Well when I say strain, I say that very loosely. It's a mesh wire strainer that I push the paste through and use it only to catch the larger fibers. I probably could skip a step or two, but like I said this is how I feel comfortable doing it. Call it a time tax for "peace of mind".

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I've seen some fellow El Yucateco lovers ITT, but has anyone tried their "XXXtra" hot sauce, Kutbil-Ik? It's very hot and very delicious, with a strong Habanero flavor. I can't get enough of it.

I also tried out their Black Label sauce, and didn't like it at all. Something about the overpowering smoke flavor just turned me off big time.

Englishman alone
Nov 28, 2013

Jmcrofts posted:

I've seen some fellow El Yucateco lovers ITT, but has anyone tried their "XXXtra" hot sauce, Kutbil-Ik? It's very hot and very delicious, with a strong Habanero flavor. I can't get enough of it.

I also tried out their Black Label sauce, and didn't like it at all. Something about the overpowering smoke flavor just turned me off big time.

A huge fan of that stuff love it with anything chicken related really deals with my heat cravings. Perfect for liveing up leftovers

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
What do y'all think about using Passion Fruit Concentrate in a hot sauce? Really dig passion fruits.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Probably would be great. I'd recommend pairing it with habaneros as the source of heat, with a little carrot and onion as the filler.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

FATWOLF posted:

The mango really dulls the heat. When I do my roasted Tomatillo salsa, I use 3 to 5 whole habeneros (seeds and veins) for 1 quart. 3 makes it pleasantly hot and 5 makes it exciting. It's amazing how sweet ingredients take down the heat (carrots, fruit, etc.)

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

mostlygray posted:

The mango really dulls the heat. When I do my roasted Tomatillo salsa, I use 3 to 5 whole habeneros (seeds and veins) for 1 quart. 3 makes it pleasantly hot and 5 makes it exciting. It's amazing how sweet ingredients take down the heat (carrots, fruit, etc.)

Exciting is the goal. I can't wait to make another batch.

On another note, I've never worked with dried habaneros. My neighbor gave me some dried habeneros and dried cayennes and I want to make a chili powder but am unsure of what kind of ratios. I've made the Alton Brown recipe many time and my family loves it even though they are not lovers of spicy food so I'd like to stay near the same heat level. A little hotter is fine.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I never thought of this as a particularly noteworthy sauce, but I realized lately that I hadn't seen it in ages. Found a bottle of it last night, bought it for the curiosity of nostalgia, and it's way better than I had remembered it. Simple, salty, and clean tasting.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Anyone have experience fermenting peppers who's brain I can pick?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

CommonShore posted:

I never thought of this as a particularly noteworthy sauce, but I realized lately that I hadn't seen it in ages. Found a bottle of it last night, bought it for the curiosity of nostalgia, and it's way better than I had remembered it. Simple, salty, and clean tasting.

Louisiana is wonderful stuff. It is the "prototypical" hot sauce. Nothing fancy just simple vinegar and peppers. It's what I think of when some one says hot sauce.

You should try their habanero version.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Midorka posted:

Anyone have experience fermenting peppers who's brain I can pick?

I've made a couple fermented hot sauces. What's your question?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I've made a couple fermented hot sauces. What's your question?

How do I know when fermentation is done?
How do I know if my batch is safe to consume?

I ask these two questions because I made two batches of habaneros to ferment. They were originally frozen so I thawed and pureed to a rough puree for fermenting. The one batch I added water and salt to 4%-5% weight. The other batch I only added salt to 4%-5% weight. Both batches I fermented in a mason jar with the lid loosely on for 24 hours. I then closed them and took to shaking them to avoid any mold build up.

The water batch fermented for about a week, I constantly burped it. The second one did nothing.

I decided to blend the two batches and haven't seen any fermenting going on.

Got any insight?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
It sounds like you had one successful batch and one delicious, but unfermented, batch. How long have they been sitting since you combined them?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

It sounds like you had one successful batch and one delicious, but unfermented, batch. How long have they been sitting since you combined them?

About 3-4 days. I'm worried about them being safe to ingest as well as wondering why one picked up and the other didn't and still hasn't.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I'm sorry, but I think it's beyond my expertise. Maybe one developed bad bacteria that killed the whole thing when mixed together?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I added enough salt to ward that off, supposedly.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Midorka posted:

I added enough salt to ward that off, supposedly.

Couldn't that much salt also kill the yeast?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

CommonShore posted:

Couldn't that much salt also kill the yeast?

I added 4% by weight which, according to general consensus, is enough to kill bad bacteria while allowing lacto to build up. Part of me is thinking of pitching lacto into the pepper mash.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Well if you mixed them together that's basically what you did. If one of them fermented then there should be significant amounts of lacto and they should start eating the unfermented one.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Stupid question, but did you use deiodized "pickling" salt? Did you remove the chlorine/chloramine from your water? Where are you getting your peppers from? There should be enough environmental lacto but next time consider adding some young ginger or cabbage since those guys are sick with lacto.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Eeyo posted:

Well if you mixed them together that's basically what you did. If one of them fermented then there should be significant amounts of lacto and they should start eating the unfermented one.

Yeah, but something is stunting the mash of the other one and I don't know what. Outside of adding water to one and none to the other I did nothing differently. Hrm. I have a bunch of Devil's Toungue I could mash with too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

atomicthumbs posted:

My dad's review consisted of "God drat" and "you are a worthy successor"

I think that any time you hear "You are a worthy successor" after making and consuming hot sauce... you done right.