Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

First time I ever saw what the actress looked like who played Howard's mother was tonight. As soon as I saw her I thought to myself she was the secretary from Secret of my Success and one of Murphy Brown's revolving secretaries. I checked IMBD and I was right but she played in more semi-recent things I should have known her more for some reason those two roles are what I immediately thought of her for.

GaussianCopula posted:

Sad news indeed.

I think it will be a difficult topic for the show to deal with, because they had Howard look forward to his mom dying in quiete a few episodes. It was also one of the first things he and Bernadette bonded over on their first date.

He has to have a breakdown over it. I haven't watched the show after the 5th season since it's not on Netflix or Hulu but he was so attached to his mother even with the dying jokes I don't see how it could be any other way. This is with whatever has happened in the last couple of seasons I haven't seen. His mother is such a huge part of his identity and his character it's like losing one of the big 3 on the show. Howard is not a character on the show w/o his mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
The Septum Deviation

Leonard needs surgery for a deviated septum, and Sheldon gets his nose out of joint because he feels an operation is too dangerous and that his roommate may not make it out alive. Meanwhile, a distraught Raj learns his parents have divorced on the eve of their 40th anniversary.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

GaussianCopula posted:

Sad news indeed.

I'm very interested to see how they handle it. Given that she was an off-screen character and there are many people who can do excellent impersonations, it would be incredibly easy for them to replace her and most people wouldn't notice. But it might be considered disrespectful to just have someone impersonate her, so I'm not sure.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Shakugan posted:

I'm very interested to see how they handle it. Given that she was an off-screen character and there are many people who can do excellent impersonations, it would be incredibly easy for them to replace her and most people wouldn't notice. But it might be considered disrespectful to just have someone impersonate her, so I'm not sure.
The fat jokes are old and not that funny. They should introduce a new actress on-screen and toss off a line about weight-loss surgery or her new diet with thanks to Stuart. I don't expect this to happen but it's kind of weird that "my mother is so fat" jokes are still being used in 2014 when fat shaming is generally seen as crude and derogatory.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 15, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Binary Logic posted:

when fat shaming is generally seen as crude and derogatory.

Fatty spotted.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Binary Logic posted:

crude and derogatory.

So is the rest of the show in my opinion, so it fits right in

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Irish Joe posted:

Fatty spotted.
I might have a few pounds to lose but Mrs Wolowitz is so fat (how fat is she?), she can be picked up by the camera on Comet 67P.

Fetus Tree posted:

So is the rest of the show in my opinion, so it fits right in

Do you think so? I can't even get through more than 10 minutes of 2 Broke Girls because of the crudeness of the humour. BBT is much more mainstream and usually gently mocking of nerd culture and even Penny's (former) promiscuity. But Howard's comments about his mother are often really mean and even vicious.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Nov 17, 2014

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Big Bang Theory is like a nerd minstrel show.

remember the pages of bickering this comment caused the last time?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
The Champagne Reflection

Sheldon retires his Fun With Flags You Tube series, while Leonard, Howard, and Raj look through the papers of a deceased colleague and Bernadette discovers what her boss really thinks of her.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Rather than resurrect Fun With Flags, they should have given Sheldon a new thing to obsess over.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
While this show isn't nearly as witty as it used to be, I think the past two episodes have been horrible.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mister Kingdom posted:

Rather than resurrect Fun With Flags, they should have given Sheldon a new thing to obsess over.

What's left on the checklist of hobbies for autistic weirdos?

[x] Trains
[x] Flags
[ ] Lego

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Irish Joe posted:

[x] Trains
[x] Flags
[ ] Lego

[ ] Posting in TVIV

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I know she wasn't in the latest episode (or two?), but they've missed an opportunity with Raj's girlfriend. One of the disappointing about Amy and Bernadette is that even though they are smart, they aren't really geeks in the same way that the guys are and so there's always this disconnect between the guys and girls' storylines. Given that nerdy girls obsessed with videogames/sci-fi/superheros/whatever aren't particularly uncommon (especially in the subset of women who would be willing to date the BBT guys), it would be neat to have one of them date someone who, you know, actually shared common interests.

The show seems to make a point of mentioning how Penny and Leonard have nothing in common. But really, none of the characters and their partners (or ANYONE they have ever dated) have ever had much in common in terms of common interests, and it's kind of weird.

Even though Bernadette and Amy are portrayed as smart, it's like the showrunners think only guys can be "real geeks" or something.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Shakugan posted:

I know she wasn't in the latest episode (or two?), but they've missed an opportunity with Raj's girlfriend. One of the disappointing about Amy and Bernadette is that even though they are smart, they aren't really geeks in the same way that the guys are and so there's always this disconnect between the guys and girls' storylines. Given that nerdy girls obsessed with videogames/sci-fi/superheros/whatever aren't particularly uncommon (especially in the subset of women who would be willing to date the BBT guys), it would be neat to have one of them date someone who, you know, actually shared common interests.

The show seems to make a point of mentioning how Penny and Leonard have nothing in common. But really, none of the characters and their partners (or ANYONE they have ever dated) have ever had much in common in terms of common interests, and it's kind of weird.

Even though Bernadette and Amy are portrayed as smart, it's like the showrunners think only guys can be "real geeks" or something.
The girls did cosplay Cinderella once but you're right, at best they go along or put up with the boys' geek culture. Leonard met a girl who was into comics but that only lasted one or two episodes because of the blonde girl he has no common interests with. To go even further: one episode Penny and a lot of friends were watching a football game on tv. Has her relationship with Leonard caused her to drop that whole circle? We've never seen her with any of them again, or anyone socially except for her boyfriend's friends' girlfriends.
(I think I got that right).

It's fun that Amy is a scientist who actively insults Sheldon about his time-wasting juvenile interests but there's no compelling reason all their girlfriends have zero interest in their hobbies.

That last ep was not enjoyable at all.

Irish Joe posted:

Fatty spotted.
I've done calorie counting and cannot see how it would be confused with abstruse physics calculations.
But the real downer of that episode is that both Stephen Root and Levar Burton were totally underused.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Nov 22, 2014

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Fun with flags was the only good part of the episode. :smith:

Irish Joe posted:

[x] Trains
[x] Flags
[ ] Lego

I vaguely recall him blowing off something to build a lego deathstar which was featured later on the episode as well.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

No one posts in this thread anymore but I just wanted to say this week's episode was actually pretty hilarious. Amy's slashfiction reading and Sheldon/Leonard getting trolled by Stephen Hawking made me laugh out loud quite a few times.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

The Duke posted:

No one posts in this thread anymore but I just wanted to say this week's episode was actually pretty hilarious. Amy's slashfiction reading and Sheldon/Leonard getting trolled by Stephen Hawking made me laugh out loud quite a few times.

Agreed, though I totally knew it was gonna be him or degrasse tyson that was doing it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

That was actually a good and funny episode.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I was hoping it would be Kripke, but it was a good use of the celebrity cameo.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
If they had been smart they would have brought back Sara Gilbert and have Leslie Winkle do the heckling.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Sheldon's "We stand behind our paper. And later tonight, your mother." is probably the hardest I've laughed at anything on this show.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I liked that they teased a (done a million times) storyline of Sheldon taking credit for Leonard's theory and causing a rift, but instead went the path of them working together and it being a success. Was a pleasant change from expectations.

I read Kripke's name in an upcoming episode description so I presumed it was him behind it, so the reveal was extra fun. A decent episode.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Comic Book Store Regeneration

Howard receives some shocking news as everyone prepares for the re-opening of the comic book store. Meanwhile, Penny tries to teach Sheldon how to "let it go," but can't follow her own advice when she learns something infuriating about Amy.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Well, that takes care of that problem.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Saw the bit with Howard's mother coming. I knew they were either going to replace her or write her out and the episode felt like they were building up to that.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Macrame_God posted:

Saw the bit with Howard's mother coming. I knew they were either going to replace her or write her out and the episode felt like they were building up to that.

At least they didn't drag it out.

And now the trainwreck that is The Odd Couple. This show will not make it past its initial order.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Mister Kingdom posted:

And now the trainwreck that is The Odd Couple. This show will not make it past its initial order.

Yeah. If any one thing irks me about this show it's the acting. I know sitcom acting isn't a fine art or anything, but Jesus this is bad.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Macrame_God posted:

Yeah. If any one thing irks me about this show it's the acting. I know sitcom acting isn't a fine art or anything, but Jesus this is bad.

They could have at least tried a new combination. They've already done two middle-aged men, a cartoon cat and dog, two black men, and two women.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Mister Kingdom posted:

They could have at least tried a new combination. They've already done two middle-aged men, a cartoon cat and dog, two black men, and two women.
You want me to be interested in an Odd Couple reboot? Cast Paula Poundstone and Tim Gunn as the leads. Otherwise, it's a literal waste of time/energy/money.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
This show lost a lot of steam didn't it

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
Rest in Peace, Carol Ann Susi aka Mrs. Wolowitz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maYUQyC3jo4

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

spronk posted:

I was pretty shocked that they didn't have a "in memory of..." at the end. What show doesn't acknowledge that one of its actors died?

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Shakugan posted:

I was pretty shocked that they didn't have a "in memory of..." at the end. What show doesn't acknowledge that one of its actors died?

Shakugan posted:

They had one a week or two after the actress died.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/big-bang-theory-honors-carol-748998

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

spronk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWFejUQC_f4

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

spronk posted:

That episode is on Crackle right now.

dandaman
Dec 30, 2005

This week was pretty solid also. I'm just surprised no one managed to look at Sheldon's drivers license in 8 years.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

dandaman posted:

I'm just surprised no one managed to look at Sheldon's drivers license in 8 years.

Didn't he just learn to drive last season?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Or ask his mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

dandaman posted:

This week was pretty solid also. I'm just surprised no one managed to look at Sheldon's drivers license in 8 years.

I think it was a recycled plot idea, pretty sure Leonard didn't like celebrating his birthday and Penny planned a surprise party for him a few seasons ago.

• Locked thread