Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Abugadu posted:

A little over a decade ago I briefly took on an Innocence Project-type murder case where it was painfully obvious the client had been set-up by the actual killers, who made plea bargains to hand-slap deals to testify against the client. Cartoonishly bad. And after he was convicted, the previous attorney on the case had found an eyewitness who said the client wasn't there, but that was found unreliable because the witness had been in jail for marijuana possession a few months after the crime (which was why they couldn't find him for the trial).

Appeal denied, habeas denied, all legal avenues exhausted, wasn't jack poo poo I could do because there was no DNA evidence for people to get excited about. No one gave a poo poo about this dude because it was in Flint, Michigan and they have a billion other things to bother themselves with.

I continue to write letters to his parole board every time he comes up. His last attempt was denied. He will die in jail, having spent a majority of his life in there.

The suckerpunch feeling doesn't go away.

Holy poo poo, if you're not bound by a bunch of confidentiality, and it's not too much of a sore point for you, then you should make a thread about that. I'd be interested to hear more about it.

New page so have something from my continent:
Cyclone Tracy

wikipedia posted:

Tracy killed 71 people, caused A$837 million in damage (1974 dollars), or approximately A$4.45 billion (2014 dollars). It destroyed more than 70 percent of Darwin's buildings, including 80 percent of houses. Tracy left more than 41,000 out of the 47,000 inhabitants of the city homeless prior to landfall and required the evacuation of over 30,000 people.[6] Most of Darwin's population was evacuated to Adelaide, Whyalla, Alice Springs and Sydney, and many never returned to the city. After the storm passed, the city was rebuilt using more modern materials and updated building techniques. Bruce Stannard of The Age stated that Cyclone Tracy was a "disaster of the first magnitude ... without parallel in Australia's history."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclone_Tracy

Below is the base of a steel loving pole, bent by Tracy.

Ol Sweepy has a new favorite as of 01:35 on Nov 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
The loving Imperial Japanese Airforce didn't do a 10th of the damage to Darwin that Tracy did.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Bompacho posted:

Holy poo poo, if you're not bound by a bunch of confidentiality, and it's not too much of a sore point for you, then you should make a thread about that. I'd be interested to hear more about it.

I don't think it warrants its own thread, there's not a huge amount more to the story. But I'll try to give you the details as best I remember them. Most of my narrative is from the police reports and the discredited eyewitness' account.

Mike Danforth, our subject:

http://mdocweb.state.mi.us/otis2/otis2profile.aspx?mdocNumber=256170

Mike was a methadone user in his late 30's, who occasionally hung out at a crack house in Flint owned by a crippled dude (I think it was a below the knee amputation on one leg). Crippled dude, his girlfriend, and his other friend were the main occupants, and dealt all sorts of poo poo locally. For a little while they were hosting a local pothead (eyewitness) who slept on the couch, and a crack dealer from Detroit, a skinny little 18 year old who was moving product for a bigger client back in Detroit. They gave him his own room, and he kept to himself. I don't think race plays any part in the motivations here, but the kid was black while everyone else involved here is white. Crippled dude and his friend are low on crack and low on cash, and decide to roll the dealer.

They take him down into the basement and bash his head in. The basement is the presumed kill-spot due to the massive blood stains police found there. From there, they stash the body in the attic, and head down to get all the crack they can find out of the kid's room. They then proceed to play a game of Crackopoly, using crack rocks as pieces on a Monopoly board. After a day or two, they move the body out to a busted out school bus in the backyard. Cops get involved when the kid's suppliers from Detroit show up and demand to know what is going on and make some threats.

Crippled dude, girlfriend and other friend concoct a story pinning the thing on Mike, who hadn't been to the house for days. They claim Mike came up with the plan to roll the dealer (because methadone junkies love crack I guess?), and attacked him in the living room (where no blood stains were found). They claim they couldn't have done it because one of them was crippled, and had trouble going up and down stairs. Mike didn't have any witnesses to support his alibi of where he'd been that night, and Eyewitness got the gently caress out of town after he realized he could be dragged into a murder case.

Now, to be practical, put yourself in the shoes of a Flint cop in this situation: this is probably your 2nd or 3rd murder case this week, and here you have two guys willing to testify in exchange for reduced sentences (10 years, I think they got out in 3-5 or so) who will give you all the details on the case. Don't have to do any investigation, just have to write some poo poo down. They arrest Mike, who gets an overworked public defender for an attorney, and convict him solely on the testimony of the two dudes, despite the wild inconsistencies in their stories.

One year later, Mike's family got a decent attorney, who did some digging and found the eyewitness in jail for possession of weed a few counties away. He gives a lengthy, detailed statement about what actually went down that night, which is presented in an appeal. The appeals court rules that this testimony is unpersuasive, because the eyewitness is just saying those things in exchange for leniency. Despite the fact that this is not the prosecution getting this testimony, but the defense, who has no power to grant any sort of leniency whatsoever.

2nd appeal denied, habeas petition denied, 6th circuit petition denied. Basically had no recourse left except petitioning the governor to grant clemency(lol), and that's when the case was brought to us.

By a cop. Friend of a friend of the family, who was asked to just take a look at the case, and had the same reaction that I did when reading it. And ran into all sorts of difficulty trying to get any reports from the case, surprise surprise.

And that's why I don't support the death penalty.

edit: http://www.truthinjustice.org/recent.htm provides some of the ones that did get reviewed and overturned, if you're interested.

Abugadu has a new favorite as of 03:13 on Nov 20, 2014

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Thanks for that, really interesting and it's good to see you haven't given up on the poor guy.
It's pretty scary that someone can be hosed over that easily by an overworked justice system.

Zeroisanumber posted:

The loving Imperial Japanese Airforce didn't do a 10th of the damage to Darwin that Tracy did.
It's pretty amazing that Mother Nature at her worst can still trump us humans for destructive force.
In terms of loss of life the Japanese still beat out Tracy, but interestingly :eng101: more bombs were dropped on Darwin than Pearl Harbor.

Somewhat lucky that Darwin was not nearly as densely populated. So the loss of life was probably only 1/10 of that of Pearl Harbor.

Ol Sweepy has a new favorite as of 03:23 on Nov 20, 2014

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Bompacho posted:

It's pretty amazing that Mother Nature at her worst can still trump us humans for destructive force.
In terms of loss of life the Japanese still beat out Tracy, but interestingly :eng101: more bombs were dropped on Darwin than Pearl Harbor.

Somewhat lucky that Darwin was not nearly as densely populated. So the loss of life was probably only 1/10 of that of Pearl Harbor.

USS Arizona represents more than half of the casualties in Pearl Harbor. There were 1500 crew on board, and almost 1200 were killed in the explosion, compared to 235 killed at Darwin :stare:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Abugadu posted:

Cops get involved when the kid's suppliers from Detroit show up and demand to know what is going on and make some threats.

What the ever loving gently caress.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Christ, reading that New Yorker article on Willingham both terrifies and enrages me. I can't even bear finishing it to the end. Some of these people are loving animals and come off as criminal as the actually rightfully convicted murderers.

quote:

The other medical expert was James P. Grigson, a forensic psychiatrist. He testified so often for the prosecution in capital-punishment cases that he had become known as Dr. Death. (A Texas appellate judge once wrote that when Grigson appeared on the stand the defendant might as well “commence writing out his last will and testament.”) Grigson suggested that Willingham was an “extremely severe sociopath,” and that “no pill” or treatment could help him. Grigson had previously used nearly the same words in helping to secure a death sentence against Randall Dale Adams, who had been convicted of murdering a police officer, in 1977. After Adams, who had no prior criminal record, spent a dozen years on death row—and once came within seventy-two hours of being executed—new evidence emerged that absolved him, and he was released. In 1995, three years after Willingham’s trial, Grigson was expelled from the American Psychiatric Association for violating ethics. The association stated that Grigson had repeatedly arrived at a “psychiatric diagnosis without first having examined the individuals in question, and for indicating, while testifying in court as an expert witness, that he could predict with 100-per-cent certainty that the individuals would engage in future violent acts.”

quote:

The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals was known for upholding convictions even when overwhelming exculpatory evidence came to light. In 1997, DNA testing proved that sperm collected from a rape victim did not match Roy Criner, who had been sentenced to ninety-nine years for the crime. Two lower courts recommended that the verdict be overturned, but the Court of Criminal Appeals upheld it, arguing that Criner might have worn a condom or might not have ejaculated. Sharon Keller, who is now the presiding judge on the court, stated in a majority opinion, “The new evidence does not establish innocence.” In 2000, George W. Bush pardoned Criner. (Keller was recently charged with judicial misconduct, for refusing to keep open past five o’clock a clerk’s office in order to allow a last-minute petition from a man who was executed later that night.)

:smithicide:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Christ, reading that New Yorker article on Willingham both terrifies and enrages me. I can't even bear finishing it to the end. Some of these people are loving animals and come off as criminal as the actually rightfully convicted murderers.

Welcome to Texas!

We're basically Florida, only we don't have a funny "[State] Man does [X]" mascot to back us up.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Does anyone remember what was the Youtube channel with animations of industry disasters? They are made by some government safety agency and explain in simple graphics timelines of accidents. I find them interesting because I know nothing about chemicals, valves, oil processing technology, etc and they are unnerving too.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

Doctor Malaver posted:

Does anyone remember what was the Youtube channel with animations of industry disasters? They are made by some government safety agency and explain in simple graphics timelines of accidents. I find them interesting because I know nothing about chemicals, valves, oil processing technology, etc and they are unnerving too.

https://www.youtube.com/user/USCSB ?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
That's it, thanks!

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I read that assuming that Willingham was freed, and the further I got, the more evidence that appeared that proved he was innocent, the more certain I was that he'd get out. I'm struggling to understand how that man was still executed, and how nobody has been sanctioned, imprisoned, or preferably executed for his death. Disgraceful.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I read that assuming that Willingham was freed, and the further I got, the more evidence that appeared that proved he was innocent, the more certain I was that he'd get out. I'm struggling to understand how that man was still executed, and how nobody has been sanctioned, imprisoned, or preferably executed for his death. Disgraceful.

It was like an inverted Aristocrats joke, where the punchline was "Texas."

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Mississippi has always been an interesting place for the criminal justice system. For years Dr. Steven Hayne conducted 80-90 percent of the criminal autopsies in the state, between 1500-2000 per year while holding other jobs. Prosecutors loved him because he'd basically make up crap to convict whoever they wanted. Why did he do so many? He didn't have a salary, he was paid by the body:

quote:

“It’s a racket,” says Sanders, the former Columbus police chief. “Most states pay a [state] medical examiner $100,000, maybe $200,000 per year. Do the math. Fifteen hundred autopsies per year at $500 to $1,500 a pop. Hayne’s making millions.…Prosecutors love him because he’ll testify to whatever they need him to. Meanwhile, the state legislature saves money by not having to fund a full-time state medical examiner, office, and staff.”

Here's one of his tricks with a colleague:

quote:

Jimmie Duncan was convicted for the 1993 murder of Haley Oliveaux of West Monroe, Louisiana based primarily on the testimony of Hayne and Michael West, a bite mark examiner and at the time coroner of Forrest County, Mississippi.[9] Duncan had admitted to leaving Oliveaux in a bathtub unattended, and was initially charged with negligent homicide. Hayne examined Oliveaux and claimed to have found bite marks on her face that had not been seen by any of the other medical professionals who had previously examined her body, such as EMTs and hospital personnel. After this, a mold was taken of Duncan's teeth for use in bite mark analysis by Michael West. In performing this analysis, West repeatedly pressed the mold into the cheek of Oliveaux' corpse, creating bite marks which had not previously existed. This was recorded on videotape which surfaced in 2008. Michael Bowers, deputy medical examiner for Ventura County, California commented with regard to the bite marks that "Dr. West created them. It was intentional. He's creating artificial abrasions in that video, and he's tampering with the evidence. It's criminal, regardless of what excuse he may come up with about his methods."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Hayne

http://reason.com/archives/2007/10/08/csi-mississippi/

It would take a lifetime to figure out how much bad evidence he provided over his career.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

TheFallenEvincar posted:

You know things are bad when George W Bush is the good guy in the story. Thanks Texas!

Quint Gets Eaten
Apr 23, 2014

Nouvelle Vague posted:

It's not exactly the same, but this is a really nice (and heartbreaking) write-up on the victims of Dean Correll.

Chiming in that this is an incredible read. I've always been fascinated by Corll; it's amazing that such a horrific (and prolific) serial murderer could have fallen into obscurity. (As others have said, he was dead when his story broke, which is probably why the story doesn't have the Ted Bundy-level of infamy associated with it.) Other than a special I saw on ID Discovery a few years ago and a few pages in serial killer encyclopedia-type books, I haven't seen very much on him and his crimes. I had no idea that there were potentially many other victims, but no investigations were made because more bodies would equal bad publicity, Jesus Christ.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Quint Gets Eaten posted:

Chiming in that this is an incredible read. I've always been fascinated by Corll; it's amazing that such a horrific (and prolific) serial murderer could have fallen into obscurity. (As others have said, he was dead when his story broke, which is probably why the story doesn't have the Ted Bundy-level of infamy associated with it.) Other than a special I saw on ID Discovery a few years ago and a few pages in serial killer encyclopedia-type books, I haven't seen very much on him and his crimes. I had no idea that there were potentially many other victims, but no investigations were made because more bodies would equal bad publicity, Jesus Christ.

It really needs to be repeated but for all the poo poo Florida gets in popular culture, Texas is by far loving worse. I suspect it gets off the hook because it's "real america" or somesuch horseshit. gently caress Texas, gently caress Texans.

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME

Frostwerks posted:

It really needs to be repeated but for all the poo poo Florida gets in popular culture, Texas is by far loving worse. I suspect it gets off the hook because it's "real america" or somesuch horseshit. gently caress Texas, gently caress Texans.

We're not all bad, you know. Some of us were born here and would rather be somewhere else...and there's always Austin :chillout:

But I'm guessing you're a butthurt Floridian who doesn't want to feel like he lives in the worst state of the union (hint: it's Mississippi, you dumbfuck)

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The Cagots were a minority group in Europe who were persecuted for hundreds of years. They were restricted to certain unclean jobs, like other traditionally ostracized groups.

quote:

Cagots were shunned and hated. They were required to live in separate quarters in towns, called cagoteries, which were often on the far outskirts of the villages. Cagots were excluded from all political and social rights...They were compelled to wear a distinctive dress, to which, in some places, was attached the foot of a goose or duck (whence they were sometimes called "Canards"). So pestilential was their touch considered that it was a crime for them to walk the common road barefooted or to drink from the same cup as non-Cagots. The Cagots were restricted to the trades of carpenter, butcher, and rope-maker.

But the thing about the Cagots is that nobody knows why they were hated.

quote:

The Cagots were not an ethnic group, nor a religious group. They spoke the same language as the people in an area and generally kept the same religion as well. Their only distinguishing feature was their descent from families identified as Cagots. Few consistent reasons were given as to why they should be hated; accusations varied from Cagots being cretins, lepers, heretics, cannibals, to simply being intrinsically evil.

Either nobody cared enough to write down what it was that was different about the Cagots, or there was never any difference. The absolute pinnacle of bigotry. Ur-bigotry. They were hated just because.

Does anybody know the incident where a guy opens his mailbox, there's a box with a note that in hindsight is really creepy on it, and he opens the box and it explodes, killing him? I'm pretty sure it's been in the thread before.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I had never heard of Corll and I've lived in Houston my whole life. I asked my dad about it today and he remembers working in the hospital where they brought all of the exhumed bodies in. He said the smell was awful.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Rochallor posted:

The Cagots were a minority group in Europe who were persecuted for hundreds of years. They were restricted to certain unclean jobs, like other traditionally ostracized groups.

Either nobody cared enough to write down what it was that was different about the Cagots, or there was never any difference. The absolute pinnacle of bigotry. Ur-bigotry. They were hated just because.

yuo = Cag0t

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

I Might Be Adam posted:

I had never heard of Corll and I've lived in Houston my whole life.

Same. Its especially unnerving knowing that I've driven past and partied many times in the Heights without ever knowing all of this.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Your Sledgehammer posted:

We're not all bad, you know. Some of us were born here and would rather be somewhere else...and there's always Austin :chillout:

But I'm guessing you're a butthurt Floridian who doesn't want to feel like he lives in the worst state of the union (hint: it's Mississippi, you dumbfuck)

This is almost a meme on something awful. There are a few posters who just love to jerk off about how we should kill all the (Texans/Southerners/etc.) because of (reason.) Texans are super varied, and there's even a pretty large contingent of liberalism, especially in the major metroplex areas like DFW, Houston, Austin, and San Antonio. People like Frostwerks are just the left wing's version of Freepers, barely putting any thought or effort into their beliefs so long as they can attack some mysterious, all terrifying Other.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Texas is huge enough that any generalizations about its citizens aside from their love of firearms is meaningless. Now saying the Texas government sucks is an undisputed fact though.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I think the unnerving thing is that Alabama and Mississippi are actually part of the US.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

nucleicmaxid posted:

This is almost a meme on something awful. There are a few posters who just love to jerk off about how awesome and special (Texans/Southerners/etc.) are because of (reason.)

Fixed that for you, just to highlight one of the main reasons everyone hates Texas.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

NiceGuy posted:

Fixed that for you, just to highlight one of the main reasons everyone hates Texas.

[1] citation needed

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Citation: Any one of countless pro-Texas threads in GBS started by the likes of roboshit or texaholic or whoever. Have fun searching for them because I sure as poo poo ain't.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Rochallor posted:

This is pretty much exactly the same as burakumin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burakumin

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

NiceGuy posted:

Citation: Any one of countless pro-Texas threads in GBS started by the likes of roboshit or texaholic or whoever. Have fun searching for them because I sure as poo poo ain't.

*cites GBS, nods smugly to himself about owning someone.*

vvvvv lol look it this guy taking some light ribbing super seriously. vvvvv

Yngwie Mangosteen has a new favorite as of 06:42 on Nov 22, 2014

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

NiceGuy posted:

That and the way that if anyone makes a joke about Texas sucking, however mild, or even about anything that's related to Texas being a bit sucky, there's always three or four good ol' boys who'll jump in yelling "THINK YER BETTER'N ME?! HAU DAER YEW!"

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

slinkimalinki posted:

This is pretty much exactly the same as burakumin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burakumin

But the Burakumin were explicitly associated with performing low-status, unclean jobs. Whereas the Cagots were restricted to occupations like carpentry or butchering, jobs that weren't considered sinful in medieval Europe like, say, moneylending (because the Jews were forced to take those jobs).

It's just very weird. The theory that they're descended from some evil guild of carpenters is pretty amusing though.

Fool and the World
Dec 8, 2010

FourLeaf posted:

But the Burakumin were explicitly associated with performing low-status, unclean jobs. Whereas the Cagots were restricted to occupations like carpentry or butchering, jobs that weren't considered sinful in medieval Europe like, say, moneylending (because the Jews were forced to take those jobs).

It's just very weird. The theory that they're descended from some evil guild of carpenters is pretty amusing though.

I dunno. Conspiracy theories about the Masons are a thing, why not carpentry :shrug:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

FourLeaf posted:

On the other hand, it appears discrimination against burakumin still exists today.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Aphra Bane posted:

Wow, that was fascinating.

You may already know of it, but the first thing that comes to mind is the Cameron Todd Willingham story, whereby a woman becomes the penpal of a death row inmate and ends up doing her own investigation to try and clear his name.

The Washington Post did an extensive article on this case in August of this year.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/national/2014/08/03/fresh-doubts-over-a-texas-execution/

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

CodfishCartographer posted:

On the other hand, it appears discrimination against burakumin still exists today.

I remember there being a major freakout because Google Maps had an option to interlay old Japanese maps on top of their street view, because they thought it'd be pretty nifty to see how things have changed.

The problem being, a great deal of those maps had entire neighborhoods blocked off as "YOU SHOULD HATE THE PEOPLE HERE FOR NO REAL RATIONAL REASON!".

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

FourLeaf posted:

We Await Silent Cagot's Empire

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

citybeatnik posted:

I remember there being a major freakout because Google Maps had an option to interlay old Japanese maps on top of their street view, because they thought it'd be pretty nifty to see how things have changed.

The problem being, a great deal of those maps had entire neighborhoods blocked off as "YOU SHOULD HATE THE PEOPLE HERE FOR NO REAL RATIONAL REASON!".

Purely out of curiosity, I once googled around the area I was living in Japan to see what sorts of areas were old burakumin areas, because one too many old men had told me that I should watch out for those sort of folk, as well as black people.

I discovered this site, in which a crazy person helpfully listed some of the old burakumin areas in Nagoya. I'm not going to translate much of it, because oddly enough I think the color scheme and randomly large words indicate the crazy racism pretty well. But from just a bit of the parts around the big characters, we have: "When in these areas TAKE CAUTION TO NOT USE CERTAIN TABOO WORDS (i.e. whatever the burakumin equivalent of the n-word is)," "This area, having lots of Koreans and Korean civic centers, is a MODERN DAY BURAKUMIN AREA," "Try not to enter this area as there are low income earners, yakuza, Koreans, and peddlers. It is a HOTBED OF HEINOUS CRIME."

I was only ever in the last of these areas, but needless to say it didn't look like a HOTBED OF HEINOUS CRIME. Maybe I just used my EXTREME CAUTION.

EDIT: Poking around that site a little more, there's a really heartwarming part. Amidst some grandiose talk about how 'we do not listen to the halfhearted voices of those who call us prejudiced or insensitive, there's a brief introduction to their organization:

Name: Political Restoration Alliance
Date of Founding: New Year's Day 2000
Membership: 3

Rochallor has a new favorite as of 01:32 on Nov 23, 2014

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I think the thread will enjoy this one: The Secret Life of a Crime Scene Cleaner
http://narrative.ly/stories/the-secret-life-of-a-crime-scene-cleaner/

It's got everything. Gory details, mental illness, heartstring tugs...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

Speaking of Dean Corll, I saw this article about one of his surviving victims the other day, her life before and after her abduction and near death. Basically, it's lovely all around.

It's been forever since I backread this thread; someone has to have mentioned the Texas Killing Fields but I have no idea how far back. My husband used to live right next to the field where they found four of the victims.