Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If they are just cropping the sensor to get lower rez, that would decrease the viewing angle. Pretty common since you don't need hardware to resize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
The Mobius is essentially a G1W+. Yeah, it lacks the screen, but it makes up for it in terms of customizability and functionality. In fact, the Mobius even has the same or a very similar Novatek processor that the G1W-like cams are all famous for.

For me, the Mobius was a no brainer. I didn't need a screen, but I did need a capacitator. The G1W-C gets pretty inconsistent reviews and is ~$50 from a reputable dealer. the Mobius was ~$75 with a much wider-angle lens (and supercap), and can be easily used as an action cam just by reinstalling the battery.

I plan to buy a $25 underwater housing for the Mobius that will even let me take it snorkeling, so it'll do double duty for me. It has been dead reliable and fantastic since I've bought and installed it.

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!
Thanks, I will probably get a Mobius! Quick question, does it have to be plugged in to my computer to configure, what with the lack of a screen?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Samsquamsch posted:

Thanks, I will probably get a Mobius! Quick question, does it have to be plugged in to my computer to configure, what with the lack of a screen?

Yes.

And I would much rather do it this way, than by playing with little buttons and a shite menu system

http://www.mytempfiles.info/mobius/

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Samsquamsch posted:

Not necessarily. There are android apps that exist for configuration, but you have to have a device compatible with the techniques it uses to configure it. There is a specific app that you can use to test that capability. It is called "OTG Status" and the Google Play link is here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=therau2000.otgstatus&hl=en

Install it, run the test, and it will tell you if you can use the Mobius USB Config app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=therau2000.amcamobiusac&hl=en) with your android device.

I don't know anything about iOS.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I wish I had a pedstrian dashcam for my walk to work. I've seen so much terrible stuff the last few years, including almost being run over on a weekly basis. I think you'd all be amused to see how it's usually a driver that's looking right at me that usually comes within inches of crushing me.

EDIT : Looks like Muvi has one that I could clip to my backpack strap without looking like a creep.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 14, 2014

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Dick Trauma posted:

I wish I had a pedstrian dashcam for my walk to work. I've seen so much terrible stuff the last few years, including almost being run over on a weekly basis. I think you'd all be amused to see how it's usually a driver that's looking right at me that usually comes within inches of crushing me.

EDIT : Looks like Muvi has one that I could clip to my backpack strap without looking like a creep.

Can you put up a link, that sounds like something I could use when I nearly get run over by idiots on pushbikes riding on the footpath with no helmet.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Memento posted:

Can you put up a link, that sounds like something I could use when I nearly get run over by idiots on pushbikes riding on the footpath with no helmet.

http://amzn.com/B008KFMVZY

Has various clips and mounts, comes with an 8GB memory card. My walk is at most 20 minutes so I should be able to record in 1080 no problem.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
:stonk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP8nLbgGDFA&t=28s
:stonk:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Excuse me while I go get some bulletproof glass to replace my windshield, and wear a goalie mask while driving just to be safe.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Looks like I'm asking for a Mobius for Christmas, unless someone wants to steer me in another direction. Has anyone had problems with people breaking into their car to steal their camera? Someone broke into mine and stole my Qi charger once ($10 from DealExtreme) so I'm worried it might not be worth the risk of having a camera in the car.

Also, how easy is it to tap into 12v? I use my only outlet for my radar detector.

Don Baylor
Oct 24, 2005

Are the roads there just made of scrap metal and depleted Uranium?

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I mean, I've been hit in the head by a rock kicked up from a lawnmower once while driving, but honestly that video freaks me the hell out.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I like how the one guy turned on the wipers after his windshield was shattered. Yea, that's just gonna wipe right off!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

blk posted:

Looks like I'm asking for a Mobius for Christmas, unless someone wants to steer me in another direction. Has anyone had problems with people breaking into their car to steal their camera? Someone broke into mine and stole my Qi charger once ($10 from DealExtreme) so I'm worried it might not be worth the risk of having a camera in the car.

Also, how easy is it to tap into 12v? I use my only outlet for my radar detector.

You can get cigarette lighter splitters. I use one, it makes one twelve volt port into three.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

The Locator posted:

I like how the one guy turned on the wipers after his windshield was shattered. Yea, that's just gonna wipe right off!

That's an automatic rain sensor, they are glued to the windshield and function the way a phone touchscreen does, capacitive sensors. The cracks in the glass set it off.

bing_commander
Aug 14, 2009

In other news..
saw a three wheeled corvette today

This is a mobius shot but I just took a screenshot from my media player and I don't remember the video quality setting anymore, so don't take this as a good example of the image quality. As far as hooking it up, I tapped a unused switching fuse slot so I could have the wiring out of the way without having to modify the car. I just wired up a little 5v linear regulator and the camera runs just fine.

bing_commander fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 17, 2014

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Got my Mini 0803 up and running today and shot some boring test footage. Works as intended, very happy with it. The sound quality is not good with all the electric rasps and clicks coming from the cam itself, but then again you don't get a dashcam for its kickass audio.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
What memory card did you get with it? My 64GB sandisk is being finicky.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

A 32GB Kingmax came with mine. I have no prior experience with the brand but hopefully it has decent reliability.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I use a 32GB Sandisk Ultra in mine with no issues.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
You are running motion detect with the overwrite option right? Did you get that firmware off yours posted somewhere?

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I'm using a 32GB Sandisk & a 32GB Transcend Class 4 card. I swap them out occasionally and it's doing fine.

I've been considering getting a 64 or a 128 but I don't think they've really tested 128GB cards in these things.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Saw a Tesla with a cute license plate on the way home today. ("THX ELON") if it's too hard to read.

Dash cam is a Mobius.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

That's actually pretty drat good quality for the lane next to you at dusk. I tested my G1W with plates a few times and it's just not consistently good enough to rely on so I have to remind myself to say the plate number out loud if I ever need it to go with the video.

In light of the positive goon reviews I'm highly considering moving my G1W to my rear window and picking up a Mobius for the front though.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Ror posted:

That's actually pretty drat good quality for the lane next to you at dusk. I tested my G1W with plates a few times and it's just not consistently good enough to rely on so I have to remind myself to say the plate number out loud if I ever need it to go with the video.

In light of the positive goon reviews I'm highly considering moving my G1W to my rear window and picking up a Mobius for the front though.

This is with "Wide Dynamic Range" "On" in the configuration. There is apparently also a "Low Light" setting but I've never tried it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The Muvi I bought to record my pedestrian vs. car exploits is ok for daytime but in the evening it falls short. Light sources are all very streaky and the frame rate seems to crater. I think I'm asking too much of it.

Still waiting for my chance to yell BLYAT when someone almost runs me over.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Samsquamsch posted:

I got a little something! Of course, I get my G1W the week after a guy goes flying by me in a stolen car with cops in pursuit, takes the offramp, and smashes into an SUV (one caught, one escaped), but oh well. That was definitely the craziest thing I've seen while driving.

This was still funny, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI7OilTA-Z4

I looked over to the woman at my left and we both cracked up at this clueless person.

Also, I am thinking about getting a Mobius for my front camera; my car's interior is all beige/tan, and the all-black G1W stands out pretty starkly against my rearview mirror. Also, I am interested in seeing how other dashcams stack up now that I have the admittedly well-functioning 'budget' camera. The Mobius seems at least a little more covert, but also seems to have a lot of potential problems according to this review. Anyone with experience with the Mobius/G1W care to weigh in? Particularly, why does the viewing angle drop when you go down in resolution (shouldn't it be the other way around)? My alternative would be just buying another G1W (maybe the G1WC) and painting it to match my interior for stealth purposes. Either way, I'd move the original G1W to the rear. I've definitely noticed people tailgating me way, way too closely a few times and a rear camera is a definite necessity.

Actually had some idiot do something similar to this the other day. Not the cutting around to try to turn left, but they turned left and it was backed up and blocking traffic. For once there was a cop there to see it happen and pulled them over for it.

Also, I'm about to throw my g1w out the window. The fucker just randomly turns off for no reason at least 2-3 times a day while in traffic.

Welp, I think I'm done with this stupid g1w. There was a huge pile up on the passing lane while I was in the middle lane, and somehow the camera is missing that loving minute of footage. gently caress this thing.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 21, 2014

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Ha, that sucks. I took mine down recently to mess with the power cable and put it in the center console and closed the sliding lid. Well, it got stuck and without any room to reach in I just forced it open, pulling the G1W's stand out of the clip area and breaking it, sort of. I pushed the plastic back in and it still clips in, but it's a little loose. Definitely getting that Mobius to use as my front camera and relegating the G1W to the rear. Wobble is only present if I actually touch the unit, but it would make me feel better having a sturdy front camera. I have a couple more questions about the Mobius so I know what to order with it:

Power: Is it 5V? The fuse tap and converter module I bought to originally hardwire my G1W is 12V -> 5V, and I'll be running a 15-20 foot USB cable from the fusebox (left of the steering wheel) all the way across the floor and up to the camera on the right side of my rearview.

Storage: Amazon images say the memory slot is a TF card slot. I assume I can use a microSDHC card. Is this somewhat like the opposite of the G1W in terms of the class of card to use? I'm reading people saying they had problems with lower-speed cards. Amazon is having a sale on flash memory so if a 64GB class 10 SDHC is what I need, I'll scoop one of those up.

Thanks!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Samsquamsch posted:

Power: Is it 5V? The fuse tap and converter module I bought to originally hardwire my G1W is 12V -> 5V, and I'll be running a 15-20 foot USB cable from the fusebox (left of the steering wheel) all the way across the floor and up to the camera on the right side of my rearview.

Storage: Amazon images say the memory slot is a TF card slot. I assume I can use a microSDHC card. Is this somewhat like the opposite of the G1W in terms of the class of card to use? I'm reading people saying they had problems with lower-speed cards. Amazon is having a sale on flash memory so if a 64GB class 10 SDHC is what I need, I'll scoop one of those up.

Thanks!

5V Mini USB. I am using an ebay 3m cable, plugged into a cigarette lighter USB port.

I believe some people originally had problems with faster SD cards and the recommendation actually was to use a slower card. I bought one with the camera from the supplier, since I knew it was guaranteed to work. Given their proactive approach to firmware updates/bug fixes, I would be surprised if it were still an issue, but I am sure Google can help.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how this accident happened.

I'm sitting at a light, and along comes a Honda minivan down the wrong side of the road. Assumed drunk driver at first, then realized they were probably dazed once I saw the hulk smash right rear corner and exhaust dragging.

I stopped to make sure everyone was okay (several others did too, but I've actually been trained in first aid, CPR, AED, etc several times). Driver said she was sitting at the light and next thing she knows she's surrounded by airbags and on the other side of the road. She definitely wasn't sitting at this light, and it was a severe enough accident that I would have heard the crash (and she would have been going quite a bit faster). I'm thinking she got nailed at the light down the road and got spun around, then just coasted the half mile down the road (it's a slight hill).

Once everyone was out and accounted for (several children, mother, grandmother), I got in to make sure it was in park. It wasn't, but the driver info center was flashing a message about ENGINE OFF AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT or something like that. I had no idea how many airbags those things had, nor did I have any clue how long they stayed inflated. I thought they were like front airbags, where they pop and slowly deflate. Nope, it was a solid 5 minutes before I tried to get in to put it in park, and the side impact bags were still hard as a... well, freshly inflated airbag.

Nobody hurt thankfully, but the scumbag who nailed her took off. Current generation Honda Odyssey. I'm impressed how well the cabin held up - the hatch was smashed in pretty bad, and the rear quarter was buckled (plus RR wheel pushed forward), but all doors opened just fine.

Sorry about the lovely video editing skills, I had to splice 3 videos together for this. My camera also crapped out entirely after this - I took it off the dash to try to show the cops what I had on video, and it flashed "low battery" then locked up, with the display still on. It took about 15 minutes for it to run down enough to shut off, then was fine once I plugged it back in (but dies within seconds when unplugged).

I got an rear end chewing from my boss for stopping to check up on someone that had just been in a serious wreck. "Company policy is we never stop as a witness to anything". I told him human nature is to stop and help, and that I had first aid training, so I could be of far more use than the average person - and that the police had already asked me to stick around.

I put in my 2 weeks notice yesterday - was already planning to, but that's what pushed me over the edge.

http://youtu.be/TY3-lEaxOS0

spog
Aug 7, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

I put in my 2 weeks notice yesterday - was already planning to, but that's what pushed me over the edge.

Your boss is a Piece of poo poo and you are a Good Person.

Thanks for stopping - when I had my accident, half a dozen mums on the school run drove past me, depsite my being bent double, next to a crashed car and flagging them down for help.

Makes me consider a rear-facing camera as being essential now.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

^^ What spog said. I can't believe that any company would have a 'policy' like that, so your boss is probably a liar as well as a scumbag. Hope you get something much better.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
It is pretty much universal in most states that it is a felony for failure to render aid. What an rear end in a top hat

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Christobevii3 posted:

It is pretty much universal in most states that it is a felony for failure to render aid. What an rear end in a top hat

I'm pretty sure these laws apply to the people involved in the incidents and not observers, they're essentially hit-and-run laws.

Not that the boss is not an rear end in a top hat for his attitude.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Ror posted:

I'm pretty sure these laws apply to the people involved in the incidents and not observers, they're essentially hit-and-run laws.

Not that the boss is not an rear end in a top hat for his attitude.

Not if you're a state-certified EMT, which he says he is.

If you're certified/in the health professions, you are legally obligated to render aid at any accident you come across. Otherwise you can face charges in my jurisdiction, at least. I'd like to think most jurisdictions function that way.

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

I ordered a Mobius and a suction cup mount. Higher-profile, but I didn't want to run the risk of ruining my windshield tint with a 3M sticky velcro mount. Maybe after a while I'll look into a more permanent mounting solution. Thinking maybe I'll put my G1W at the bottom of my rear window so as to reduce its profile. It's on a suction cup too, so it's going to be an annoyance no matter how I do it until I figure out maybe a way to affix some stabilizing thing to its bottom. Looking forward to trying out a new dashcam as well as being protected front and back.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
I bought a mobius and I'm having some issues. All bright colored lights fade to white. Dimmer lights still show color. I've got the wide angle lens version with the latest firmware. These shots are 1080p narrow mode with HDR off and all the advanced settings at defaults.

Here the stoplight is almost invisible against the sky, and even the far crosswalk sign has turned white.

Same thing here at dusk. The direct lights are all white, the reflections have color.

It's better at night.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
So I'm looking into a Mobius and I think I'd like to get the Wide Angle Lens and the Super Cap. Do I need to purchase this (http://www.amazon.com/Angle-Module-...p=1416875749009) or this (http://www.amazon.com/Angle-Replacement-Mobius-ActionCam-Camera/dp/B00H4IQ93S/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top#Ask) and is there any difference between the two? I feel stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

oxbrain posted:

I bought a mobius and I'm having some issues. All bright colored lights fade to white. Dimmer lights still show color. I've got the wide angle lens version with the latest firmware. These shots are 1080p narrow mode with HDR off and all the advanced settings at defaults.

Here the stoplight is almost invisible against the sky, and even the far crosswalk sign has turned white.

Same thing here at dusk. The direct lights are all white, the reflections have color.

It's better at night.

What settings are you running? Have you played around with any of them via the mSetup configuration program?