Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Going to Gunshow again tonight. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

WaterIsPoison posted:

The chicken sandwich that I had there last time was so good, that it made me want to be a better person. No lie.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

WaterIsPoison posted:

Gunshow's so good. I'm pretty spoiled since I literally live a few doors down from it and they're awesome about neighborhood walk-ins.

In other news, Krog St fully opening on Monday including both of Ginsberg's new places (though I'm pretty sure a different article said Yalla wouldn't open until later). Looks like a pretty great lineup.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Free Jeni's ice cream at Krog Street today!

I'm also obsessed with Little Tart and creating vegan versions at home.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I'll be heading to Krog Street for dinner tonight (might do a second late dinner there depending on a friend), and lunch Wednesday and/or Friday.

Looks like Fred's Meat & Bread had a good first day:

quote:

WOW, what a first day! Soooo, we SOLD OUT & are closed until tomorrow. Our sister stall @yallaATL will open at 5:30 for dinner tonight.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 24, 2014

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
Awesome, walking over after work today. Girlfriend when to Craft for dinner on Saturday, glad to see everything's coming together.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Went to Krog Street Market tonight for dinner. Yalla was the only place that was serving meals, so they were very, very busy. I got in line before they opened and there were probably 20+ people ahead of me. Since they're brand new, they weren't exactly cranking out food. I had two pitas, one shwarma, and the other sabich. Both were good. I also had two of their house sodas, which I have enjoyed many times at The General Muir. When I got my food the line was even longer than when I first got in it.

As for food places, aside from Yalla, only Jeni's, Little Tart Bakeshop, and Spotted Trotter were open. Grand Champion is likely to open tomorrow after their inspection(s). Fred's was closed (sold out of food at 2:30), and I think might be only open for lunch. The Luminary and Craft are both closed on Mondays. So for now there isn't a bunch of options for meals, so don't go expecting to graze from a half dozen places just yet. Things will obviously get better when the other six or seven places that will serve meals will open.

Overall I really like the space and location and hope it is a huge success.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

venutolo posted:

Went to Krog Street Market tonight for dinner. Yalla was the only place that was serving meals, so they were very, very busy. I got in line before they opened and there were probably 20+ people ahead of me. Since they're brand new, they weren't exactly cranking out food. I had two pitas, one shwarma, and the other sabich. Both were good. I also had two of their house sodas, which I have enjoyed many times at The General Muir. When I got my food the line was even longer than when I first got in it.

How early were you there?

I swung by around 5:20pm and picked up some steak from Spotted Trotter, a treat from Little Tart, and some ice cream from Jeni's. Wasn't in the mood for Yalla, there was only five or so people in line then.

(I was in a blue t-shirt with a Yoda pocket)

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Webbeh posted:

How early were you there?

I swung by around 5:20pm and picked up some steak from Spotted Trotter, a treat from Little Tart, and some ice cream from Jeni's. Wasn't in the mood for Yalla, there was only five or so people in line then.

(I was in a blue t-shirt with a Yoda pocket)

I got there at about 5:20 (like 4 people in line), walked around, and got in line at 5:27 (like 20+ people in line).

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I walked over about 2:30pm and checked everything out. I tried to get a sandwich from little tart, but they said they were sold out. I settled for a quiche and salted caramel pie, both pretty good. staff was completely flustered and obviously just not in their groove yet, and everything else looked pretty quiet, so decided to just leave it at that. I wish I had known about the free ice cream, I definitely would have gotten some.

I'll give it a day or two but super super excited about everything there. Spotted trotter's stand looked even better than I had hoped, and can't wait for the seafood one too.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat, when did Jeni's move down there? They're an institution up here in the Columbus, OH area.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Jeni's Westside location opened Oct 2013. There is also a Decatur location and the Krog Street Market location opened yesterday. Their ice cream is so loving good. I occasionally make ice cream at home, and then when I eat Jeni's, I just feel bad about my output.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Manuel Calavera posted:

drat, when did Jeni's move down there? They're an institution up here in the Columbus, OH area.

The first opened on the west side a year or two ago, this is the second. They've done a great job choosing locations, the first is next to Star Provisions (probably the most well loved "gourmet market" in Atlanta) and now Krog St. Market, our newest food Mecca. I wonder if they're planning a Ponce Market location, it would fit in well there too.

I really like Jeni's ice cream but we also have a local "chain" (3 stores) called Morelli's which is just as good if not better.

Edit: didn't realize there was one in Decatur too. Just googled it and found an Eater article from Sept announcing it, is it already open?

Lawen fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 25, 2014

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Oh man, the black coffee ice cream in a waffle cone from Jeni's is the best thing ever. I never knew you can get the flavor of black coffee into an ice cream like that, but it's incredible.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Went to Krog for lunch today and had a crazy good cheesesteak and fries at Fred's followed by an almond croissant and espresso at Little Tart. Yalla wasn't open for lunch but I'm looking forward to trying it out as well.

They've done a great job with the space but seating already seems a bit limited; I can only imagine it's going to get really, really crowded on weekends.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Lawen posted:

Went to Krog for lunch today and had a crazy good cheesesteak

The cheesesteak is so good. Probably the best I've ever had. When I first ate it months ago, it brought tears to my eyes since I hadn't had a good one since leaving the Philly area 14+ years ago.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

venutolo posted:

The cheesesteak is so good. Probably the best I've ever had. When I first ate it months ago, it brought tears to my eyes since I hadn't had a good one since leaving the Philly area 14+ years ago.

Well, now I'm going to have to try it.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At least y'all have Buckeye State, as well you should from an Ohio chain. Love the Buckeye. :colbert: (in flavor anyways. I have no opinion on the school or nut itself.)

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Manuel Calavera posted:

At least y'all have Buckeye State, as well you should from an Ohio chain. Love the Buckeye. :colbert: (in flavor anyways. I have no opinion on the school or nut itself.)

I have a pint in my freezer.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

The cheesesteak is so good. Probably the best I've ever had.

this is exciting. I love cheesesteaks but feel like everyone in atlanta could do just a little bit better - but still I don't have any platonic ideal to hold a cheesesteak up to. gonna eat the poo poo out of one of these next week for lunch.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Ate at Fred's for lunch. Showed up about 10 minutes before opening and nobody was in line. I walked around the market with my mother to look at all the other places, and in that time, 18 people got in line. When we ordered, the line was even longer. We sat at the counter in front of the kitchen area, and it was clear things were not running smoothly (at this point, they had been open for under 8 hours total since opening day).

We had a cheesesteak, burger stack, and mortadella & bacon. Also ordered the regular fries and the old bay fries. The fries were thicker than that at The General Muir, and I enjoyed them. Also had a really good cream soda. All in all, I was very happy.

As for my prior cheesesteak comments, please take them with a grain of salt and don't get too hyped up and be disappointed if it isn't the be-all and end-all of sandwiches. My enjoyment of it is highly influenced by my personal history, where a good cheesesteak reminds me of hanging out with my best friend after high school football games, which were some of the best times of my pre-adult life.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Hey everyone.

I'm moving to Atlanta soon, and am looking for cool people to eat food and drink beer with. I heard that you guys sometimes meet up for dinner. Is there anything planned for the near future?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
We have met up a few times for food stuff, but nothing regularly.

I've now been Krog Street Market six times (3 Fred's, 2 Yalla, 1 GC BBQ). Overall I'm really happy with the place. My only qusetion going forward is how they'll deal with seating. When I went Saturday at noon-ish, we had to wait a few minutes until a couple people left their seats. At this point, there are a handful of tables set up in spaces that will be food stalls in the future, so that seating will be lost. I don't know what the plan is for the area between Jeni's and The Luminary, but I hope it will be used for seating. When the weather is nicer, I suspect they'll be able to put some seating outside the front door. We'll see what happens when everything is open sometime next year.

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

Pretty pictures in small frames
The deli in Candler Park Market is amazingly delicious y'all.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mindphlux posted:

this is exciting. I love cheesesteaks but feel like everyone in atlanta could do just a little bit better - but still I don't have any platonic ideal to hold a cheesesteak up to. gonna eat the poo poo out of one of these next week for lunch.

well, you were right. fred's was the best cheesesteak I've ever eaten man.

I (sadly?) kind of like philly connection's cheesesteaks, but this was like the perfected version of that, on crack.

you literally can't improve on their cheesesteak I think - I struggle to think of what would be an improvement. maybe shaving 5-6$ off the price?

5/5 will eat again.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I don't think any drop in price is possible. I was around when they were discussing the price and food cost and I don't remember any specifics, but my general impression was that it is costly due to the price of ribeye. For reference, I ate it at The General Muir one night months ago with one of the servers I'm friendly with and he couldn't get the typical employee discount (15%? I don't really recall) because the margins on it weren't enough to afford that.

They really have done a fantastic job of nailing what makes a good cheesesteak. The bread is crusty, chewy, and doesn't get obliterated by the oil. The meat has a really fantastic beef flavor, and isn't dry, bland, or overseasoned. The only comment I would make about it, is that it is important for the cheese to get all over the meat, and not just a portion of it. They've generally done a good job of this, but I have had a cheesesteak or two (out of probably more than a dozen) where the half of the meat along the open side of the bread lacked ample cheese-ing. That's my only complaint, and I'm not really comfortable calling that a "complaint" since I love the sandwich so drat much and it was the only non-optimal thing about a sandwich I ate during what could be considered a beta run.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

The only comment I would make about it, is that it is important for the cheese to get all over the meat, and not just a portion of it. They've generally done a good job of this, but I have had a cheesesteak or two (out of probably more than a dozen) where the half of the meat along the open side of the bread lacked ample cheese-ing. That's my only complaint, and I'm not really comfortable calling that a "complaint" since I love the sandwich so drat much and it was the only non-optimal thing about a sandwich I ate during what could be considered a beta run.

I eat something as indulgent as a cheesesteak only maybe once every couple months, so I can't complain too much about $15. If it's actually ribeye, I'm sure the margins are not that great. I'd question the need for ribeye, but it tastes pretty good.

I agree about the cheese thing. that might be my only complaint too. I had a few bites like that, but then I just took another bite and got some cheese and was like mmmmmmm god this is tasty and forgot about it.

maybe a dill pickle wedge on the side would be nice?

argh I'm gonna have to go get another of these soon

ps - I don't know if it was a fluke or intentional, but the cheerwine I had was at the PERFECT temperature. like, it was so cold it was a slushy about half the way up. I don't know if they spent months tweaking their fridge temp or what, but if I go back and get another slushie cola I think I'm gonna have to give them mad props for that.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I went back to Fred's twice last week for the cheesesteak, Old Bay fries, and Triple XXX root beer ("It makes thirst a joy!"). It's pretty much the Platonic ideal of a cheesesteak. Of the three times I've had it, once it could've used a bit more salt but otherwise it's been flawless. Goddamn, dat bread. I think I've finally scratched the itch and will be able to try Yalla next time I go.

Hop City's beer bar was open and serving on Saturday night (first time I've seen it open). There was also a sign up for Gu's and it looked like they were taking delivery of kitchen equipment -- hopefully it'll open soon.

I feel so bad for the BBQ stand in Krog St; every time I've been there have been big lines for Fred's and Yalla and NO ONE at the BBQ place. The guys there seem really friendly too. I haven't even seen anyone sitting at a table eating their food, so haven't had a chance to see if it even looks like good BBQ. I did have an Uber driver who said it was good but not as good as Fox Bros.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Lawen posted:

...Triple XXX root beer ("It makes thirst a joy!")...

I feel so bad for the BBQ stand in Krog St; every time I've been there have been big lines for Fred's and Yalla and NO ONE at the BBQ place. The guys there seem really friendly too. I haven't even seen anyone sitting at a table eating their food, so haven't had a chance to see if it even looks like good BBQ. I did have an Uber driver who said it was good but not as good as Fox Bros.

That root beer is really good. They also have a really good cream soda. (They have served two different cream sodas, but the one I thought was really good I didn't catch the name of, but I know it is the one that makes up the blue parts of their American flag thing.)

I too felt really bad for the Grand Champion BBQ guys. The lines for Fred's and Yalla have been super long, and not many people at all at GC. I have seen a few people get their stuff, but not many in comparison to Fred's and Yalla. I did get their BBQ for dinner Saturday night before watching my GT hopes and dreams melt.

GC is perfectly fine BBQ. They come out of the Sam & Dave's lineage (Sam's BBQ1, Dave Poe's, Community Q, and Grand Champion). If you've been to any of the other places, you've had very similar stuff. My main complaint with what they're doing is that it isn't as conducive to eating a meal there as I think it should be.

They're only serving pork and brisket and it is listed by the pound. I get that they might not be serving things like chicken, ribs, etc due to space practicalities, but it would be nice if they'd just have sandwich versions of the meat on the menu. Also, all the sides are not single portion sides. I got the smallest mac & cheese, and it was way more than even my gluttonous fatass would want in one sitting. This sort of thing works fine when you're picking up BBQ to bring home for multiple people, but doesn't really work for a single person grabbing a meal to eat there. They wouldn't even need to add anything other than smaller containers for sides and put a sandwich version of the pork and brisket on the menu along side the 1/2 and 1 lb listings. I really would just like to order a pulled pork sandwich and two much smaller sides rather than a 1/2 lb of pork and $7.50 of mac & cheese.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

venutolo posted:

As for my prior cheesesteak comments, please take them with a grain of salt and don't get too hyped up and be disappointed if it isn't the be-all and end-all of sandwiches. My enjoyment of it is highly influenced by my personal history, where a good cheesesteak reminds me of hanging out with my best friend after high school football games, which were some of the best times of my pre-adult life.

Shockingly, The Mad Italian probably does the best cheesesteak around. I've heard people from Philadelphia say it's better than the ones back home... Seriously, it's good and fairly cheap, even though it's not on the ATL foodie scene list. I'm all for pricey meals, but for weekly events, the Mad Italian hits the spot with loads of homemade goodness.

I heard Ponce City Market is shaping up for some good eateries too. Anyone hear anything else new on it? Places should start opening this spring.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The newest episode of Get Delicious a couple weeks on PBS back made a strong visual case for The Mad Italian's cheesesteak the same as most other places they covered off the beaten path for the most part---it looked like such a wonderful bombastic mess held together just enough.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I've had The Mad Italiana cheesesteak dozens of times, and I can't say I think The Mad Italian's cheesesteak is very good. It is perfectly okay and not bad. It is good enough that it makes me happy, but not good enough that I would hold it up as some prime example of the form. Prior to the Fred's cheesesteak, I'd say Roy's was probably the best that I'd had around Atlanta with The Mad Italian a close second.

(stupid loving cheesesteak talk making me want a cheesesteak that I'm going to go to The Mad Italian for lunch)

e: Yup, Mad Italian cheesesteak is not too good. Meat is bland has is way overseasoned with black pepper. Cheese coverage is very poor. Bread is okay, but nothing compared to the bread at Fred's. The whole thing is so very dry.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 9, 2014

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

venutolo posted:

(stupid loving cheesesteak talk making me want a cheesesteak that I'm going to go to The Mad Italian for lunch)

Tell me about it. If I get out of class tonight at any point after 4, I'm hitting up Krog. No point in sitting in traffic while hungry.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
soooooooooooooooooo

we should probably just plan a lunchtime cheesesteak meet @ freds

table full of goons gruntin' and grindin' on some phillies, ain't nuttin gonna go wrong

I might try to go by thurs or fri myself

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

soooooooooooooooooo

we should probably just plan a lunchtime cheesesteak meet @ freds

table full of goons gruntin' and grindin' on some phillies, ain't nuttin gonna go wrong

yes plz

If we close the office early Friday, I'll probably head to Fred's for my cheesesteak fix.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
I'm in for Friday lunch actually.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I work across the street from Fred's and would like to do this, but work buys our lunches on Fridays as a big group thing. :negative:

Consider another day and I'm in!

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Tatsuta Age posted:

I work across the street from Fred's and would like to do this, but work buys our lunches on Fridays as a big group thing. :negative:

Can I have a job there?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I'm down for Friday lunch.

I seriously spend my wee hours baking various weird pastries and experimenting with fats and foams and I'm v. tempted to quit my salary job to work at Little Tart because I'm obsessed with achieving perfect puff pastry help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Those cheeseburger macarons you made looked super cool. Nice job.