Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

omgomgomg posted:

Yeah but, why didn't they ever invest in anyone as much as taker?

Because nobody has the talent of Mark Calaway to make the character work. If any other wrestler had been given that gimmick, it would have faded away as the other cartoon villain fodder of the time.

Bray may be the spiritual successor of Taker, but he will never have the same aura because his character started as a human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Because nobody has the talent of Mark Calaway to make the character work. If any other wrestler had been given that gimmick, it would have faded away as the other cartoon villain fodder of the time.

Bray may be the spiritual successor of Taker, but he will never have the same aura because his character started as a human.

Taker talked about this in an interview once, but apparently "The Undertaker" was a character Vince wanted to do for a long time, since he was a fan of westerns. But Vince was so fond of the idea, he wasn't going to give it to just anyone. He wanted to find the right person to play it, so he waited and waited until he finally saw Mean Mark Callous.

Also, Taker was originally supposed to wear a stove pipe hat like undertakers in westerns wore, but since Callous is already almost seven feet, he couldn't get through the entrance ways without ducking, so they quickly switched to the rounded hat he was famous for before his debut.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Mordecai was another undertaker type character

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Did Taker have any more heel runs after his "Mah Yard" phase? I can't imagine any fans were interested in booing him once he went back to being the Deadman but my 2004-13 watching was sporadic at best

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Nah

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Who is the best WCW/WWF-era wrestler to never be heavyweight champion? Ricky Steamboat?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

Who is the best WCW/WWF-era wrestler to never be heavyweight champion? Ricky Steamboat?

Steamboat was definitely the heavyweight champion at some point in his feud with Flair.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Steamboat won it at Chi-Town Rumble.

His one solitary NWA World Heavyweight title reign.

I might be biased but my pick is Scott Hall.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Blast Fantasto posted:

Dean Malenko, Jake Roberts, Scott Hall, William Regal

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Jake Roberts.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Goldust

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
How could I have forgotten him?!

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Dibiase

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Junkyard Dog and Greg Valentine as well

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Aside from the piledriver, what are some other banned moves in the WWE? I was going to ask for reasons, but they'd all end up being just "too dangerous" so never mind that.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Hennig if you're only counting the WWF/WCW titles

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

Aside from the piledriver, what are some other banned moves in the WWE? I was going to ask for reasons, but they'd all end up being just "too dangerous" so never mind that.

I think brainbusters and some variations of a powerbomb are banned.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Probably most moves where the guy taking it has no way to protect himself. Like the Vertebreaker/Copkilla.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Helms's Vertebreaker too. Basically straight head drops that aren't tombstones, as a rule.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Is there a reason why the tombstone was exempt from the piledriver ban? I'm not as adept at spotting moves as most as I'm just getting back into wrestling so is it just because Taker's a really trustworthy dude or is the tombstone different enough?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Is there a reason why the tombstone was exempt from the piledriver ban? I'm not as adept at spotting moves as most as I'm just getting back into wrestling so is it just because Taker's a really trustworthy dude or is the tombstone different enough?

Nobody does it except Taker and Kane because they're both enormous and strong enough to do it consistently without dropping anyone. Kane holds guys 6 inches off the mat but they're good at hiding it with the camera angle.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

OldTennisCourt posted:

It's because Taker is super trustworthy. Also, he's so good at the tombstone that it's basically impossible for him to hurt you

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

OldTennisCourt posted:

The way Taker (and Kane) do the tombstone they basically just drives the guys head into their thighs. There's always a pretty good clearance between head and mat. They still need some pretty good strength to keep them safe while doing that, but that's why they're allowed to do it.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Smoking Crow posted:

It's because Taker is super trustworthy. Also, he's so good at the tombstone that it's basically impossible for him to hurt you

Tell that to the Hulkster brother! Taker almost ended his career he was so reckless

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

Nobody does it except Taker and Kane because they're both enormous and strong enough to do it consistently without dropping anyone. Kane holds guys 6 inches off the mat but they're good at hiding it with the camera angle.

Tell that to Hogan

exit: goddamnit

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I figure if they let you do a move on Linda onto steel steps, they probably trust you to do that move implicitly, which is why Kane has Tombstone rights.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Hey, it's not his fault Hogan has 24 inch pythons, brother

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I haven't been keeping up with WWE; has Orton used the Punt Kick again?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Smoking Crow posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwHgqQYlGWQ

Except for this first guy . . .

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!

Halloween Jack posted:

He's teased it a lot more this year but hasn't connected it in a while.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

That one was banned I think in 09 after Randy nearly punted Vince's head off.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

He punted Big Show at last year's Survivor Series. It's way more rare though.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

bradzilla posted:

That one was banned I think in 09 after Randy nearly punted Vince's head off.

And Vince was still happy with the segment, even if he did get concussed.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

Greg Valentine

Please dont troll

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I think the crucifix powerbomb / Razor's Edge is banned too, right? That's why Sheamus randomly stopped doing it.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Piper never won either heavyweight belt either.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I don't think they do running powerbombs much anymore either.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Also the front suplex whip is banned by most wrestling companies because it's one of if not the most dangerous moves you can do. Basically you stand front to front with the other guy, do a double arm lift and throw them over your head backwards. If you do it right they land in a sort of somersault position and take the hit on their upper back, if you do it wrong they land on their shoulders/neck and shatter their spine. It's a loving awesome looking move but very few people can pull it off. Gangrel did a modified tiger suplex sometimes, but the tiger is basically a safer version of the whip since the whip requires you to throw the other guy and the toss is where you get that career ending botch.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 21, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Smoking Crow posted:

Junkyard Dog and Greg Valentine as well

This is the weirdest post ever posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Also the front suplex whip is banned by most wrestling companies because it's one of if not the most dangerous moves you can do. Basically you stand front to front with the other guy, do a double arm lift and throw them over your head backwards. If you do it right they land in a sort of somersault position and take the hit on their upper back, if you do it wrong they land on their shoulders/neck and shatter their spine. It's a loving awesome looking move but very few people can pull it off. Gangrel did a modified tiger suplex sometimes, but the tiger is basically a safer version of the whip since the whip requires you to throw the other guy and the toss is where you get that career ending botch.
Do you have a video of what you're talking about?