Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Leal posted:

Whats really great is that I googled "glass him" randomly at work (sometimes those last 5 minutes take forever to come) and the search results are just full of people complaining that they should of used clearer wording cause they didn't want to smash a shot glass onto the woodsman and they thought "glass him" meant pouring him a glass (:psyduck:)

Its no wonder gaming companies treat/think gamers are dumb, its cause they are.

Or people misunderstand it because they're not native English speakers. That's the vast majority of the world, you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Doctor Bishop posted:

So the Gravemind looks like a talking penis with a horrible necrotic infection now. Ya, I'd rather take the old talking-head-of-cabbage version over that any day because holy crap, that art direction is just so amazingly lovely. Same goes for the rest of what I've seen of Halo 2 Anniversary's cutscenes, really.

It actually looks closer to the original concept art than the talking cabbage:

The talking cabbage was a result of trying to pull that off on the original Xbox hardware, and under a high-pressure dev schedule.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor Bishop posted:

So the Gravemind looks like a talking penis with a horrible necrotic infection now. Ya, I'd rather take the old talking-head-of-cabbage version over that any day because holy crap, that art direction is just so amazingly lovely. Same goes for the rest of what I've seen of Halo 2 Anniversary's cutscenes, really.

Yeah, just having it as a giant talking mushroom made it much more nebulous and legion. Penis-with-teeth is just weak art design and implies it's a single entity instead of all flood.

haveblue posted:

It actually looks closer to the original concept art than the talking cabbage:

The talking cabbage was a result of trying to pull that off on the original Xbox hardware, and under a high-pressure dev schedule.

Concept art almost always changes during development, and limited hardware sometimes forces devs to actually produce something better due to having to work with constraints. Having something stare at you and speak is fa less terrifying than an all-pervading nebulous voice surrounding you, because it makes you realize that the entire fleshy cavern is doing the talking....

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Doctor Bishop posted:

Sorry you live a life where all things with a bulge at the end look like penises cause the new Gravemind looks great.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, just having it as a giant talking mushroom made it much more nebulous and legion. Penis-with-teeth is just weak art design and implies it's a single entity instead of all flood.

I don't really get that distinction between them. The old one was an eyeless head on a tentacle just like this new one. The only thing new is the teeth; how does that imply that it's fundamentally different from the old one? It's not like the old one talked to them telepathically or anything either - he used his mouth the same way.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Lavender posted:

I don't really get that distinction between them. The old one was an eyeless head on a tentacle just like this new one. The only thing new is the teeth; how does that imply that it's fundamentally different from the old one? It's not like the old one talked to them telepathically or anything either - he used his mouth the same way.

Because teeth are something recognizable in a very conventional sense and draw your attention away from the Overmind as a whole to TEETH. The tentacle on it's own is much better because it has no recognizable cues like eyes or a mouth and is merely one of many surrounding a larger mass.

edit: Just to be more on-topic, something I love in the new WoW expansion Warlords of Draenor is that if you have a Follower Bodyguard with you they will shadowmeld/stealth alongside you regardless of their class and race.

Neddy Seagoon has a new favorite as of 03:09 on Nov 21, 2014

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

The original has a mouth though. It talks with its mouth. Unless your point is that a talking mouth is ok, but a talking mouth with teeth is not.

I feel like I shouldn't waste more thread space on this...

Uh, I like it in the Onimusha series how you can do instant kill attacks if timed right. The timing is really difficult, so you probably couldn't take advantage of it on your first play through. Onimusha 2, for example, I beat in 12 hours on my first try. After I got that instant kill mechanism down, I was able to beat it in under an hour. I love games that give you a lot of room to grow and be a wild beast.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
As someone who hasn't played a Halo since 3 I like 343 Studios because watching them torpedo the Halo franchise with a single game, to the point where releasing a collection of other people's work with their name slapped on it and a $60 price tag is the highlight of both their and the Xbone's year, has brought me more entertainment than any of the actual Halo games that have come out since.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Captain Lavender posted:

I can't get over how good they made Halo 2 look in the Master Chief Collection. The cutscenes are really top notch. I love the way the Gravemind looks

Spoilers if you've never played Halo 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOMpggSWe-w&feature=youtu.be&t=29s

Yeah, new gravemind is creepy as gently caress. I always thought he should have looked more lovecraftian horror and they delivered pretty well.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

...of SCIENCE! posted:

As someone who hasn't played a Halo since 3 I like 343 Studios because watching them torpedo the Halo franchise with a single game, to the point where releasing a collection of other people's work with their name slapped on it and a $60 price tag is the highlight of both their and the Xbone's year, has brought me more entertainment than any of the actual Halo games that have come out since.

Don't forget that even if you buy the disk version of the game you still have to download a 20 gig "patch" which is actually the multiplayer, because it wasn't actually included with the game.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Captain Lavender posted:

Uh, I like it in the Onimusha series how you can do instant kill attacks if timed right. The timing is really difficult, so you probably couldn't take advantage of it on your first play through. Onimusha 2, for example, I beat in 12 hours on my first try. After I got that instant kill mechanism down, I was able to beat it in under an hour. I love games that give you a lot of room to grow and be a wild beast.

The Devil May Cry series, especially 3 and 4, are great about this. They give you a ton of tools that you really don't need to use at all in order to complete the game, but if you want to practice the poo poo out of everything they offer you can make yourself look like a god and the (really quite difficult and dangerous) enemies look like total scrubs. It takes real effort to get to that point, too, which makes it quite satisfying.

I assume Bayonetta is the same way, but I've never played it myself.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Give Reach a look if you haven't, it's actually well worth playing. I'm generally not a fan of prequels, but it manages to be the rare exception that is its own big stand-alone thing without infringing on the main series with endless "wink-wink, we're setting up THIS". It even works in setting up the first game at the end by turning it into a very meta-knowledge moment of "Oh. I'm definitely not surviving this :stare:.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Give Reach a look if you haven't, it's actually well worth playing. I'm generally not a fan of prequels, but it manages to be the rare exception that is its own big stand-alone thing without infringing on the main series with endless "wink-wink, we're setting up THIS". It even works in setting up the first game at the end by turning it into a very meta-knowledge moment of "Oh. I'm definitely not surviving this :stare:.

It's also Bungie's swan song before 343 ran the series into the ground.

There were quite a lot of little things in that game, one of my favorites being a return to the Covenant aliens (even the usually comedic grunts) speaking their own native languages instead of English like in 2 onward. It did a pretty good job of making the alien invaders inscrutable and menacing again.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I enjoyed the tone more than anything, getting it just right in the realm of hopeless but still glorious and challenging was a real feat in itself. Reminded me of games from an older era where studios were confident and autonomous enough to take on a project where the player doesn't necessarily "win".

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
The ending of Reach really is a beautiful mix of narrative and gameplay. You're not winning that fight, no matter how long you go. Reach is going to fall and so will you.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Tracula posted:

The ending of Reach really is a beautiful mix of narrative and gameplay. You're not winning that fight, no matter how long you go. Reach is going to fall and so will you.

It really was one of the best swan songs a gaming company can make.

Also for little things, the longer you lasted in the finale in Reach the more hosed up the HUD got and your visor getting cracked. It was such a bad rear end ending.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

lenoon posted:

I know fishing in WoW is sometimes seen as a a lovely mini game, but I appreciated the amount of effort that went into it. I'd spend time waiting for my guild to gather for a raid while fishing for the magical crawdad. It leant a good feel to my character. Sighing, I'd put away the fishing rod and pull out the weapons, don armour and go face horrors, then, job done, I'd go back to fishing. It was nice.

There's hundreds of fish too.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Uh, what.

I barely played the Halo games and Reach was an impenitrable mess of "you should know this by now, so we're not explaining it." which is kinda not great for a prequel.

Cuntellectual has a new favorite as of 18:06 on Nov 21, 2014

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Anatharon posted:

I barely played the Halo games and Reach was an impenitrable mess of "you should know this by now, so we're not explaining it." which is kinda not great for a prequel.

I'm not challenging you here, I'm genuinely curious, can you remember any parts that were inadequately explained? I had played the old games, so I might of just missed it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Far Cry 4 there is a lever action shotgun called the 1887, you can get a sawed off variant of it called the 87.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

muscles like this? posted:

In Far Cry 4 there is a lever action shotgun called the 1887, you can get a sawed off variant of it called the 87.

That's just so stupid it made me chuckle.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

You can also get the german gun Han Solo's blaster is based off, without scope or long barrel/suppressor. The custom variant with the suppressor and scope? It's called the HS77.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

In Pokemon Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby, there are sometimes flocks of Wingulls on beaches. You can run through them and make them fly away. I am a child.

nael
Sep 10, 2009
I won't be able to play Far Cry 4 until I get my next paycheck, so I've been replaying 3. I noticed that when the molotov throwing guys are walking around outside of combat, they take drinks from their molotovs. That can't be healthy.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Captain Lavender posted:

I'm not challenging you here, I'm genuinely curious, can you remember any parts that were inadequately explained? I had played the old games, so I might of just missed it.

I just bought Halo: MCC collection for Purtyfied Halo 2, and the (lovely) multiplayer :( and did a big-rear end playthrough of all the campaigns from Reach,1,2,ODST(cause its awesome)3,&4 . The only references are throw away lines like "remember Reach" and that it was blown up by a big rear end fleet. Thats all that was ever explained outside of Halo: Reach itself.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I had foreknowledge of Reach and all because I was a big enough nerd to read the Fall of Reach novel. To be honest it's not bad and the space battles are actually really quite well detailed.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Tracula posted:

I had foreknowledge of Reach and all because I was a big enough nerd to read the Fall of Reach novel. To be honest it's not bad and the space battles are actually really quite well detailed.

Don't back down. Fall of reach is pretty drat good. The space battles were really good too.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

TontoCorazon posted:

Don't back down. Fall of reach is pretty drat good. The space battles were really good too.

Fair enough. It's been a few years since I read it so I was hoping it wasn't just nostalgia goggles making me think it was good.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Calaveron posted:

You can also get the german gun Han Solo's blaster is based off, without scope or long barrel/suppressor. The custom variant with the suppressor and scope? It's called the HS77.

Speaking of! Payday just did a new DLC called the Gage Historical Weapon Pack, that comes with four new weapons: The Stirling SMG, the MG42/34, the Mauser C96, and a Mosin-Nagant rifle. The pattern behind the weapons (sans the Mosin-Nagant, which is just awesome) is that they were all used as props in the Star Wars original trilogy. In addition, there are various mods for each gun that when used, make them look somewhat like the props.

C96/Han's Blaster

MG42

Sterling

Tiberius Thyben has a new favorite as of 08:33 on Nov 22, 2014

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
uggh pleast don't make me want to play Payday 2 again.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Tracula posted:

uggh pleast don't make me want to play Payday 2 again.

"Tracula, the game. Go re-install it."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Another neat little Far Cry 4 thing, one of the side missions has a character ask you to track down a shipment and gives you a device to locate the objects. The tracker looks like the Far Cry 2 GPS unit and tracks the items like the FC2 GPS unit did, a flashing light when close and a steady light when you're pointing right at it. Then when you finally get the item you find out that its uncut diamonds, which were the collectibles you were tracking down in FC2. The character you got the mission from even implies they're actually the same diamonds.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Speaking of! Payday just did a new DLC called the Gage Historical Weapon Pack, that comes with four new weapons: The Stirling SMG, the MG42/34, the Mauser C96, and a Mosin-Nagant rifle. The pattern behind the weapons (sans the Mosin-Nagant, which is just awesome) is that they were all used as props in the Star Wars original trilogy. In addition, there are various mods for each gun that when used, make them look somewhat like the props.

C96/Han's Blaster

MG42

Sterling

The mg42 is actually the Smart Link Gun from Aliens

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

To be fair, there's a couple of Stormtroopers toting them about as well in the Tatooine scenes of New Hope.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

M56 Smartgun, if you'd please :colbert:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Persona 3: I like how you can see Tartarus in the distance when you're running along the monorail track in the first boss mission.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

I love how when you play a Mechromancer in Borderlands 2, as you learn new skills Deathtrap gets bigger and has a bunch of extra poo poo bolted onto it.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To be fair, there's a couple of Stormtroopers toting them about as well in the Tatooine scenes of New Hope.

No kidding! It's been forever since I've seen them I must've forgot. I would kill for a Payday mod that let me write ADIOS on it though :sigh:

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Another neat little Far Cry 4 thing, one of the side missions has a character ask you to track down a shipment and gives you a device to locate the objects. The tracker looks like the Far Cry 2 GPS unit and tracks the items like the FC2 GPS unit did, a flashing light when close and a steady light when you're pointing right at it. Then when you finally get the item you find out that its uncut diamonds, which were the collectibles you were tracking down in FC2. The character you got the mission from even implies they're actually the same diamonds.

Still waiting for my next paycheck to buy Far Cry 4, but one of the collectibles in Far Cry 3 is a "conflict diamond" that was stated to have been brought over by a mercenary.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
There was also a side mission FC3 where you used the GPS tracker. To be honest, I kind of assumed muscles meant FC3 in the first place, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if they just repeated the same side mission again for 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Not sure if it's been posted yet - Only up to about Page 13 here, but someone reminded me of it. I am the only person on Earth who actually liked Singularity, the FPS. And the thing that pushed me over into liking the horrible, linear thing was the little touch at the end.

Shoot the Scientist, become a general under the Commissar. Shoot the Commissar, and the Scientist helps you undo most of what you've done. But there's a brief period after you shoot one where you still have control of your own actions... And a revolver. Shoot the other one, and become God-King of a new United States.