Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Linux Aurora does lots of fun things with Youtube, like unpausing all open Youtube tabs when a new one is opened and starting two audio streams when loading video without loading a new page, one of which cannot be paused and starts one second offset from the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Does someone know what just happened? Firefox randomly uninsatalled some plugins. (Classic Theme Restorer and Tabmix Plus) Thankfully re-installing them restored all my settings so I didn't have to actually do work.

But another question: Am I the only one who thinks that it's sad that I have to use add-ons to restore functionality the browser had easily accessible in menus a couple versions ago? It's like they want every browser to look like chrome somehow so they hide the real options in the config.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

IGgy IGsen posted:

But another question: Am I the only one who thinks that it's sad that I have to use add-ons to restore functionality the browser had easily accessible in menus a couple versions ago? It's like they want every browser to look like chrome somehow so they hide the real options in the config.
That's how Firefix evolves, it seems. They randomly flail around, removing options or functionality at a whim with random argumentation such as "it was bloat" or "this is hard to maintain" or "this is functionality that add-ons should support", then 5-10 versions later it sometimes gets re-introduced anyway. UI elements on the main toolbar change place every 2-3 versions. I've been using FF for close to 10 years, and am still an overall fan, but there is no sense or discipline to this pattern in my eyes. Oh well.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Pilsner posted:

That's how Firefix evolves, it seems. They randomly flail around, removing options or functionality at a whim with random argumentation such as "it was bloat" or "this is hard to maintain" or "this is functionality that add-ons should support", then 5-10 versions later it sometimes gets re-introduced anyway. UI elements on the main toolbar change place every 2-3 versions. I've been using FF for close to 10 years, and am still an overall fan, but there is no sense or discipline to this pattern in my eyes. Oh well.

Out of interest, what have they removed and reintroduced in later versions?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pilsner posted:

I have to point out, most of the configuration of Firefox has been in about :config and extensions since Firefox first became Firefox.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Update to 33.1 and see if that helps.

33.1 didn't help. 33.1.1 seems to have partially helped, but switching to the tab with youtube still takes a second sometimes.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Freakazoid_ posted:

33.1 didn't help. 33.1.1 seems to have partially helped, but switching to the tab with youtube still takes a second sometimes.

Have you tired updating your graphics drivers and/or resetting Firefox?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

VisAbsoluta posted:

What is the best add-on for saving videos from streaming pages in general?
I've found this one to be the most useful across the widest variety of sites, but it still can't do everything.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

VisAbsoluta posted:

What is the best add-on for saving videos from streaming pages in general?

Not an addon, but very powerful. http://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
What's a good way to force a page to display using a character set that isn't in this list:

Specifically, I'm after forcing a site to display in Western (DOS) as it's usually called, since it uses DOS western codepage characters for drawing.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mine has a "more encodings" menu just below auto-detect. It doesn't have a "Western (DOS)", but it does have half a dozen ISO standards and IBM code pages.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 16, 2014

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Nintendo Kid posted:

What's a good way to force a page to display using a character set that isn't in this list:

Specifically, I'm after forcing a site to display in Western (DOS) as it's usually called, since it uses DOS western codepage characters for drawing.
You can't, they're removing support for those. Provide justification for why you need them in that bug and maybe they won't!

Probably other bugs related to this somewhere.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

You can't, they're removing support for those. Provide justification for why you need them in that bug and maybe they won't!

Probably other bugs related to this somewhere.

Well I was assuming there might be an extension that covered it to use for this purpose.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

You can't, they're removing support for those.
With the predictable reason too.

quote:

We believe IBM852 and IBM850 not to be necessary for the Web, since Presto-Opera got away with not supporting them and Chrome continues to get away with not supporting them.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Well I was assuming there might be an extension that covered it to use for this purpose.
post an example of a textfile.com file that FF misdetects, I want to see if I can fix it

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

post an example of a textfile.com file that FF misdetects, I want to see if I can fix it

http://textfiles.com/anarchy/CARDING/aicard.txt
Is one.

Here's the Firefox rendering:

Here's what it should look like with the DOS codepage (taken in Notepad++):

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Well for that particular file using Cyrillic (DOS) works fine

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Asked this one before but didn't get an answer - for some reason firefox stopped opening html/swf etc files from folders. Trying to open them just opens a blank firefox tab.

Meanwhile, trying to open the very same from the firefox library rather than the folder opens them just fine.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Well this update (FF33) has broken the Tab Utilities addon in a rather ridiculous way. With that addon installed, typing into the address bar and pressing enter does nothing.

Also at some point Status-4-Evar has stopped working properly. I'd like to have it so that when I hover over a link, the URL of that link is shown in the statusbar so that I know it's not goatse.cx or whatever.

Anyone know of a workaround or replacement for these?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Lum posted:

I'd like to have it so that when I hover over a link, the URL of that link is shown in the statusbar so that I know it's not goatse.cx or whatever.
This should be basic functionality.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

FRINGE posted:

This should be basic functionality.

Yeah, this is in the default FF. Maybe the extension you were using disabled it so that it could implement its own thing?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Try going in and forcing Status-4-Evar to update itself, or check for a new version manually. I think I had to do that when Aurora went to 33, because it doesn't seem to use the auto-updater.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I already updated it manually. No joy.

The default in FF these days is to have a little popup with the new URL, but as I'm an old fart who started out with Netscape 2 or something like that, I kinda prefer having it at the bottom on a statusbar.

It's possible it's conflicting with classic theme restorer, but with status-4-evar removed, I couldn't find a way to make classic theme restorer do it either, even though the option is there.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I'm using Status-4-Evar right now and it's showing URL links in the status bar without issues. Try making sure it's configured correctly, or reinstalling it?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Same with me. Status-4-Evar 2014.07.06.05

Go into Customize and make sure "Status Text" is in your status bar.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Nalin posted:

Go into Customize and make sure "Status Text" is in your status bar.

That fixed it. No idea why that had disappeared. Thank you.

Now I just need a fix for Tab Utilities and I'm sorted. :)

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Status-4-Evar seems to be a bit flaky when dealing with updates. I have to turn things off and on, or remove and reinstall it every other major FF version update. Aside from that though it's fine.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Lum posted:

Well this update (FF33) has broken the Tab Utilities addon in a rather ridiculous way. With that addon installed, typing into the address bar and pressing enter does nothing.

Also at some point Status-4-Evar has stopped working properly. I'd like to have it so that when I hover over a link, the URL of that link is shown in the statusbar so that I know it's not goatse.cx or whatever.

Anyone know of a workaround or replacement for these?

Yeah, waiting for Tab Utilities to update is always the most obnoxious part of firefox updates. Really, the only really crucial feature for me is being able to set up middle clicking on empty space in the tab bar or on the new tab button to re-open closed tabs. That, more than anything else, is what's kept me in firefox instead of moving to Chrome.

I'd heard a while back that the dev of Tab Utilities had friggin died. Did it get picked up by a new developer or was this just internet rumors run amok again?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Read posted:

Not an addon, but very powerful. http://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/
Man, that looks a lot easier than loving around with rtmpdump (which I've never managed to use correctly) and that's a really impressive list of sites it supports, I'll have to try this out. Thanks.

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich

Lum posted:

You actually lucked out- it's been broken for at least the past three updates, and that's not the only problem it's causing.
So far as I'm aware, TU only breaks the address bar on the New Tab page or the Private Browsing splashscreen. Load a bookmark / pinned tile, then try again.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'd heard a while back that the dev of Tab Utilities had friggin died. Did it get picked up by a new developer or was this just internet rumors run amok again?

It's the same dev. They missed a self-imposed deadline by months and went radio silent, resurrected within a day when the person who had been doing unofficial updates declared intent to take over the addon. I wish that person had gone ahead and made a competitor, because here we are again- no dev activity since May.

While I'm at it, I also wish tab opening prefs weren't outside Classic Theme Restorer's purview, because it covers everything else I need from TU.

Spindle fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Nov 17, 2014

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Bugzilla-1100482 posted:

We're concerned about the number of bugs we're still finding in the stagefright demuxer, and the time it's taking to fix them. We think therefore it's best to disable this feature for the Firefox 34 release.

This means mp4 playback won't work on MacOS X until Firefox 35. Windows and Android will fall back to the previous implementations.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1100482

Well, that's unfortunate. I got used to having Flash uninstalled and it was glorious. Looks like I need to run 35 BETA until they fix up the demuxer issues. :(

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I'm confused, why would they disable it on Windows and Android as well :confused:

Or at least that's what the link seems to imply.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

RZApublican posted:

I'm confused, why would they disable it on Windows and Android as well :confused:

Or at least that's what the link seems to imply.

They are just stating that Android/Windows will fall back to previous implementation; pre 34 behavior (without the new demuxer work they have been working on in the core). It shouldn't be noticeable.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

jink posted:

They are just stating that Android/Windows will fall back to previous implementation; pre 34 behavior (without the new demuxer work they have been working on in the core). It shouldn't be noticeable.

Ah, that makes sense.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Neo Helbeast posted:

I can longer see Blip videos at all, does anybody know off hand if my firefox version(29.B(?)) is what's causing it? A quick search didn't come up with anything.

http://smartypants.com/blogs/index.php/2014/02/23/blip-tv-worst-video-player-ever/

Blip can't run videos in HTML5 because that doesn't allow their ads. So they force Firefox to play in Flash and that's why it just hangs. The link above helps with some answers, but generally the fault is with Blip.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

IGgy IGsen posted:

Does someone know what just happened? Firefox randomly uninsatalled some plugins. (Classic Theme Restorer and Tabmix Plus) Thankfully re-installing them restored all my settings so I didn't have to actually do work.
Do you have Avast! Antivirus? It seems this is a known bug with Avast.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Well, that explains where most of my addons went this morning. Thanks!

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
Loving the new search UI:

velocityJE
Jul 11, 2001

~ LOVE FOREVER ~

jink posted:

Loving the new search UI:

yeah how do i make this go away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Speaking of customizing Firefox, I'm always curious how people have their browsers set up. I used to read posts on Lifehacker about this kind of stuff like five years ago but I don't think they do that kind of content anymore, do you guys do any particularly novel stuff? Any noteworthy & underappreciated addons?