Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Knifegrab posted:

Hey if it works for you it works. But don't diss the launchers, you get 150 points for shooting down a UAV which is 1.5 kills worth of points. And its braindead easy to do. It would free up an extra point in your build as well cause you could get rid of low profile. Plus it makes people really sad when you shoot down their toys.

I'm just trying to give you some suggestions because it seems like you earnest want to improve your kdr. If you're goal is just to have fun and not kill dudes then do whatever you wanna do.

Nah that's cool. It was more a desire to stop myself getting 3-18 curbstomped. Now that I'm there I'm not hugely troubled. I'd get rid of toughness ahead of low profile though. What was putting me off the game was people just knowing I was round the corner and killing me before I could do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Nah that's cool. It was more a desire to stop myself getting 3-18 curbstomped. Now that I'm there I'm not hugely troubled. I'd get rid of toughness ahead of low profile though. What was putting me off the game was people just knowing I was round the corner and killing me before I could do anything.

Again though, a UAV is up for ~40 seconds. Sure when one goes up you might be spotted for a bit but if you shoot it down it'll only be in the air for <10 seconds. Thats 30 seconds of no UAV for the enemy, and 1.5 kills for a few seconds of your time to look up and lock. And its helping your whole darn team! Sure there are times you might be caught out with it though, that's true.

I haven't really tried a full ghost build in the game because TTK is so low that I figure I'm gonna die eventually anyway so instead I tend to focus on whatever gives me the best fight ability as opposed to the best sneak ability.

One of the things I will grant you is I absolutely love having low profile because when a UAV does go up they are going to rely on it and you can just shoot them in the back.

In fact, I will try out your whole build tonight, it does sound like cheeky fun. Cheers!

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
just checking in to say ripped laser turret is loving amazing, I love putting down em1 users with it

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
and anyone else, really

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Call of Duty Ghosts : Space Cats Pack

:eyepop:

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Since last night trying to connect to multi player has resulted in a 'can not connect to network services error' not really seeing any solutions for this. Has anyone experienced this and have a work around?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Sappo569 posted:

:3:

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.

Sappo569 posted:

If they put that in codaw for ≤50¢ I would buy it this second.

funkmeister fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 15, 2014

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Finally had a kill cam that wasn't a gun kill.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
Since Punkbuster support got dropped, CoD4's PC population seems to have exploded, but the number of hackers doesn't feel that much different. Play that instead, it's still the best CoD game yet.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
Have you not played the game that god himself prefers, Modern Warfare 2?

afkmacro posted:

Finally had a kill cam that wasn't a gun kill.

Wait till you get final kill with a goomba stomp, it's glorious

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008
Holy poo poo, totally by accident turned off VSync (I have it on basically everywhere due tearing) and game suddenly started to feel... acceptable.

"Normal" textures still look worse than what I can create with a piece of toilet paper after a lunch of spoiled tacos, but at least it doesn't feel like cursor is covered with wood glue in menus anymore.
Turns out Vertical sync is buggy in this game. Or perhaps it caps frame rate to something lower than 60. Like 8.

EDIT: Improvement after turning off Vsync is so incredible (and strangely, this is one of few rare games that doesn't really require it on my machine) that it should be in OP, I think. I can now bump up all other settings and it's still smooth.

Woohoo fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 19, 2014

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

OK, got a new mouse, I can now do well at this game. *sigh*

Sooooo is there a clan? I want the stupid clan banners.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
I'm liking Advanced Warfare PC so far. I've had no graphical problems or texture glitches, and no problems with the cutscene videos. I'm using an Nvidia GTX 780 card with 3MB DDR that I bought last year, and I ensured graphic drivers were the latest before launching the game, and currently running the game at 1920 X 1200 resolution. My CPU is an i7-4770K. Maybe Sledgehammer fixed a few things in the recent patches that made my first run at the game go well.

I had initially noticed some shearing in the cutscene videos, so I turned on the VSync, which was off by default, and the videos ran smooth after that.

I also noticed loading levels can take a fairly long time. I have the game installed on my HDD so may instead re-install on my SSD to see if there is any improvement loading content between missions.

The exoskeleton upgrade mechanic reminds me of the biochip upgrades from Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Apparently you can fully upgrade your exoskeleton in Single-player just by replaying a mission over and over again. Doing so would make a Veteran play-through a little easier. Hardcore is challenging enough for me, so I'll just go thru the upgrades normally.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

DaveKap posted:

Sooooo is there a clan? I want the stupid clan banners.

I was wondering the same thing. Any PC goon clan? I'd like to stomp some pubbies, but player count is pretty low as is, I'm not sure clan wars will "take off". :/

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Pretty sure this game is dead out of the gate, the 'hype' has already died down

Even the streamers who would average 1-2k viewers are down under the 500's it looks like, people don't even wanna see pro's play...

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Nov 24, 2014

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Sappo569 posted:

Pretty sure this game is pretty well dead out of the gate, the 'hype' has already died down

Even the streamers who would average 1-2k viewers are down under the 500's it looks like, people don't even wanna see pro's play...

We were playing pretty regularly in the impzone and having a blast, but the lovely matchmaking just kinda made everyone lose interest.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
If you look at steam stats the game is somewhat active. 6k players in MP right now, and peak of 16K. Not much but not dead yet. Still, for a AAA title, this is not good.

I'm more astounded at the current 800k dota players and combined 43k players for football manager 14 and 15. NERDS!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
RIP

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

If you look at steam stats the game is somewhat active. 6k players in MP right now, and peak of 16K. Not much but not dead yet. Still, for a AAA title, this is not good.

For some reason the PC versions of CoD have historically never done all that well but I believe MW2 has been the best of the bunch in terms of active players, but good luck finding a non-hacked game.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
long live the greatest COD ever born, em double you two

Pengurawr
Aug 11, 2012
yeah.
I don't know what to put here.
I should've read this thread before I got this game, although I'm actually kind of enjoying it. (when it works)

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I wouldn't mind playing this more if we can get a group of people that won't have matchmaking issues.

:rip:

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Do people still hate this?

It's been pretty fun to play this free weekend.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
How the hell do I play the free weekend? It's not in my library and the only options on the store are "Add to cart".
edit: oh apparently free weekends end midday on Sunday. Was I supposed to go to church instead of trying to play COD?

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 14, 2014

MRA PUA Tay-Tay Fan
Sep 12, 2001
I'm back Bitches

NaDy posted:

I have very low IQ because I purchased this game for my personal computer. It keeps crashing my display driver (up to date) and I don't know why.

NaDy posted:

Yeah it's weird because it doesn't happen regularly. I'll load it up, get in a game then it crashes instantly, load it up again and it doesn't happen again for another 2 hours. Just annoying really.

Sorry for the thread necro, but I've had this happening to me since BLOPS 2, and may have figured it out found the answer on google and appear to have fixed it just last night and wanted to share in the success.

My problem was an obscure windows power saving setting that shouldn't even exist on desktops, as it appears to mandate how long a laptop's display takes to turn back on from sleep mode after you open it. On desktops it does nothing but crash the gently caress out of resource hogs. Turn it off this way: Go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power options > Click 'Change Plan Settings' on your already selected power plan > 'Change Advanced Power Settings' > Find and Expand 'PCI Express' > Expand 'Link State Power Management' and turn it off apply, exit, and playtest.

There are multiple other possible causes and solutions for this (found here), but they're all the standard stuff.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

rapfan90 posted:

Sorry for the thread necro, but I've had this happening to me since BLOPS 2, and may have figured it out found the answer on google and appear to have fixed it just last night and wanted to share in the success.

My problem was an obscure windows power saving setting that shouldn't even exist on desktops, as it appears to mandate how long a laptop's display takes to turn back on from sleep mode after you open it. On desktops it does nothing but crash the gently caress out of resource hogs. Turn it off this way: Go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power options > Click 'Change Plan Settings' on your already selected power plan > 'Change Advanced Power Settings' > Find and Expand 'PCI Express' > Expand 'Link State Power Management' and turn it off apply, exit, and playtest.

There are multiple other possible causes and solutions for this (found here), but they're all the standard stuff.

Hey thanks man, wasn't expecting a solution at all. FWIW my power plan was on Balanced for whatever reason so I changed it to High performance and also turned off the power management setting. I'll give COD a try later on today and see if it works!

Edit: Nope still crashes. Thanks for the help though!

Aphex- fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 21, 2014

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
is there anyone still playing this, that wants to unlock zombie poo poo in coop mode? :smith:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

I'm more astounded at the current 800k dota players and combined 43k players for football manager 14 and 15. NERDS!

I've no idea how Dota gets the kind of viewers it does.

Football manager maybe. But Dotes?

Anyway, this game is a complete blast, but all I'm ever using is the laser. It isn't even that great, I just get reminded of UT or Quake 3 when using it :(

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Hey dead COD PC thread. I think I might have some sort of toxic mold in my house because I'm seriously considering buying BLOPS3 for PC.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

FadedReality posted:

Hey dead COD PC thread. I think I might have some sort of toxic mold in my house because I'm seriously considering buying BLOPS3 for PC.

Me too :downs::hf::downs:

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

FadedReality posted:

It's gonna be really bad. I'm sure looking forward to call of duty's lovely attempt to ape the movement system from titanfall, volume 2.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

link that thread and I'll put it in the op

someone do this please, been scrolling through the imp zone (no success so far :smith:)...

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

FadedReality posted:

It's probably going to:
Run like poo poo out of the box
Have some item that ridiculously outclasses everything else
Have terrible spawns in front of enemies
Have undetected cheats for the entire pitiful duration of an online presence

It's definitely going to:
Milk you for all it's worth with lovely map DLC

Going to need to see this at 50% off on some shady key reseller around launch if I'm going to touch this. Anything else will just be too lovely to deal with.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Icept posted:

It's probably going to:
Run like poo poo out of the box
Have some item that ridiculously outclasses everything else
Have terrible spawns in front of enemies
Have undetected cheats for the entire pitiful duration of an online presence

It's definitely going to:
Milk you for all it's worth with lovely map DLC

Going to need to see this at 50% off on some shady key reseller around launch if I'm going to touch this. Anything else will just be too lovely to deal with.

Counterpoint: Nuh uh.

I'm coming down from the trailer hype and also the one guy I know who is a yearly (console) purchaser doubling that hype and am at a solid "we'll see when the beta comes".

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The thread title is still relevant.

West007
Apr 21, 2013

Somehow I thought it might be different this time around but my MP play time since release at whopping 20 hours says otherwise. Now I can't even find a ground war game in EU prime time.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I am an ex cod fan (biggest play time was cod4). I have many cod's purchased but none since around black ops.

If I'm looking to play again, which one is seen as a good option on pc currently (any of them new or old)? Is there one that is generally regarded as the best that still has a decent player base?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Jippa posted:

I am an ex cod fan (biggest play time was cod4). I have many cod's purchased but none since around black ops.

If I'm looking to play again, which one is seen as a good option on pc currently (any of them new or old)? Is there one that is generally regarded as the best that still has a decent player base?

Nobody plays any of them basically, I think the one with the strongest player base left is black ops 2, which is also a good and cool game. But again, "strongest player base" in this case means a couple thousand people tops.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 17, 2015

• Locked thread