Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

velocityJE posted:

yeah how do i make this go away

Probably the same way you make those terrible new navigation buttons in the context menu go away: not.

Read posted:

Speaking of customizing Firefox, I'm always curious how people have their browsers set up. I used to read posts on Lifehacker about this kind of stuff like five years ago but I don't think they do that kind of content anymore, do you guys do any particularly novel stuff? Any noteworthy & underappreciated addons?

Asides from must-haves like ABP, Switch to Tab no more, and Classic Theme Restorer, I'm pretty fond of Anti Tumblr Infinite Scroll. Even if it's a little wonky some times, it's still easier to live with than infinite scroll.
Another great one is Text Link, which allows you to just double-click on links that don't have the html formatting to behave as links.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

My browser set up is pretty default, I don't even use Classic Theme Restorer. My addons are almost all minor quality of life ones like Lazarus, RightToClick, TabMixPlus, Copy Plain Text and so forth. I did install The Addon Bar (Restored) because I have about a million of these little addons and this way I can shove all the icons onto the addon bar, but otherwise I essentially use the default interface.

Geemer posted:

Another great one is Text Link, which allows you to just double-click on links that don't have the html formatting to behave as links.

I use Linkificator which turns all text links into clickable links. Very rarely it'll tag something wrong and a long time ago it messed up the WoW armory for some reason (hi I am a loser) but beyond that it works perfectly.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I just didn't feel like putting up a full list and only posted the extensions that stood out to me.

Anyways, I finally bothered with opening Process Monitor to see what was loving up my jumplist icons. It's Firefox. If I delete them and then touch Firefox, it'll recreate the 0 byte ico files before anything else touches the folder.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Yes. That has to be it. Though, for me it only happened once and all my settings were restored upon re-installing. The only add-ons I lost weren't really low-rated either. The opposite actually.

jink posted:

Loving the new search UI:

This certainly isn't what it looks like for me. Maybe it's because I use the classic theme restorer? That's the only thing I have I'm aware of that might affect that.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Out of all of mine, Tab Mix Plus and Mouse Gestures are the two add-ons that I feel I can't live without. I tried using Firefox on a different computer and without those two, it was a painful experience.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I am still a slave to Tree Style Tabs. Nobody else does vertical tabs right. Or at all. And the branching structure is really good for keeping track when I fall into Wikipedia or someplace like that. I also used to use Stratiform, but when Firefox had that big UI change it never really recovered.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Geemer posted:

Asides from must-haves like ABP, Switch to Tab no more, and Classic Theme Restorer, I'm pretty fond of Anti Tumblr Infinite Scroll. Even if it's a little wonky some times, it's still easier to live with than infinite scroll.

You realise Tumblr lets you turn off infinite scroll anyway?

One addon I love is Konquefox. It lets you add two buttons, an up button that works the same way as the up button in Windows Explorer, and also an x button that empties and then focuses the address bar.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

YggiDee posted:

I am still a slave to Tree Style Tabs. Nobody else does vertical tabs right. Or at all. And the branching structure is really good for keeping track when I fall into Wikipedia or someplace like that. I also used to use Stratiform, but when Firefox had that big UI change it never really recovered.

This. I can hardly switch browsers because Tree Style Tabs are so drat good.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Lum posted:

You realise Tumblr lets you turn off infinite scroll anyway?

I don't have a Tumblr account and have no intention of getting one. But if I don't need one, please do tell me how.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Geemer posted:

I don't have a Tumblr account and have no intention of getting one. But if I don't need one, please do tell me how.

Oh, it probably needs an account, could just make a throwaway one.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I can't understand why anyone wouldn't immediately remove the search bar and just use the address bar to search, with custom search keyword shortcuts per site if you need it. Also, as a general point, there isn't really any purpose in a new tab page: You can simply type in the address bar and use Ctrl-return to make a new tab open with your desired page or search.

But aside from that, I'm an all-in Pentadactyl user. It's a extension inspired by vim that gives you full keyboard control of everything, is infinitely customizable via a config file, and even lets you script certain things to happen on browser close / open.

e.g. Delete all cookies for certain sites on browser close.

I can search all my open tabs and switch to them with a couple of keystrokes.
It also hides all the UI apart from the tab bar by default, and adds a status bar (vim style) at the bottom.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

wooger posted:

I can't understand why anyone wouldn't ...

... I'm an all-in Pentadactyl user. It's a extension inspired by vim
That probably doesnt reflect most of the worlds pattern of use.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

wooger posted:

You can simply type in the address bar and use Ctrl-return to make a new tab open with your desired page or search.

I think this might be enabled by some plugin you're using or perhaps disabled by one I am, because it doesn't work for me. Just loads in the current tab.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I went through my addons and most of them were basically quality of life stuff, where 'quality of life' is spelled 'get off my lawn'. I don't mind that search UI, surprisingly, though I'm not likely to use it.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

dis astranagant posted:

This. I can hardly switch browsers because Tree Style Tabs are so drat good.

Same. Tree Style Tabs change how I use a web browser completely, both at work and for leisure. I don't know how people can live with a big stupid horizontal bar of tabs that don't show how they're related to each other.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

FRINGE posted:

That probably doesnt reflect most of the worlds pattern of use.

I mean that even without using Pentadactyl, I don't see why anyone would want a separate search bar, and when the address bar
works the same. It matches the way Chrome works too, so hardly out of the ordinary for most people.

As noted, I don't have either bar visible in my own configuration.

hooah posted:

I think this might be enabled by some plugin you're using or perhaps disabled by one I am, because it doesn't work for me. Just loads in the current tab.

Sorry man, It's think I mean alt-return perhaps.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

IGgy IGsen posted:

This certainly isn't what it looks like for me. Maybe it's because I use the classic theme restorer? That's the only thing I have I'm aware of that might affect that.

The new search is in 34 BETA. It's part of the search restructuring Mozilla is doing; Google is out as the default search provider and Yahoo is in. Naturally this will freak people out, so they are building a UI that will show the other providers. I like it; it's a great way for people to discover other ways to use the browser.

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/11/19/promoting-choice-and-innovation-on-the-web/

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

jink posted:

The new search is in 34 BETA. It's part of the search restructuring Mozilla is doing; Google is out as the default search provider and Yahoo is in. Naturally this will freak people out, so they are building a UI that will show the other providers. I like it; it's a great way for people to discover other ways to use the browser.

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/11/19/promoting-choice-and-innovation-on-the-web/
The giant phone buttons do not belong on a desktop browser. It is a terrible design decision.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

wooger posted:

Sorry man, It's think I mean alt-return perhaps.

Yup, that's it. Thanks for the cool new trick!

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

FRINGE posted:

The giant phone buttons do not belong on a desktop browser. It is a terrible design decision.

Relax. Not only are the buttons not giant, you can disable all of this new search craziness.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

wooger posted:

I mean that even without using Pentadactyl, I don't see why anyone would want a separate search bar, and when the address bar
works the same. It matches the way Chrome works too, so hardly out of the ordinary for most people.

Years ago, my ISP started catching malformed URLs, 404s and the like and spitting up 'helpful', ad-laden search results. I didn't like that then, I don't care for it being made stock browser functionality now, and if I cared how Google's pet browser does it, I'd be using that instead.

I prefer my URL bar to function like a command line. Custom keywords? Sure, fantastic. History function? Yes, please. But in either realm, I want a quick, simple error message if I fat-finger a command, not a best guess at what I was really trying to do. I can catch my mistake and correct it faster than Google will ever provide a relevant result for one of my typos. This kind of thing, for me, is where attempts at user friendliness wander into Clippy territory.

I do like that they've made the engine-swapping function more obvious with the new search bar. The functionality's been there forever, but I'd bet fewer people knew about or used it than do Panorama.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
What version is the new search UI in?

dwarkanath
Oct 1, 2014

A plethora of infinities.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What version is the new search UI in?

It's in the Firefox Beta version.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

dwarkanath posted:

It's in the Firefox Beta version.

Doesn't seem to be in the Developer Edition. How do you switch it on?

dwarkanath
Oct 1, 2014

A plethora of infinities.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Doesn't seem to be in the Developer Edition. How do you switch it on?

The developers skipped nightly and developer edition (formerly aurora) and landed this on beta. You will need to set the pref browser.search.showOneOffButtons to true.

http://www.ghacks.net/2014/11/22/mozilla-tests-search-field-changes-in-firefox-beta/
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1088660#c45

I'm more concerned about that inevitable day they say the searchbar is useless from the data/metrics they've gathered (but usually don't show) and kill it. Because just like Chrome there are plans in motion to head towards a Omnibar.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Looks like some random person from China or thereabouts has fixed Tab Utilities for FF33

https://github.com/yfdyh000/tabutils/releases

At own risk, as with any other off-site addon, of course.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

dwarkanath posted:

I'm more concerned about that inevitable day they say the searchbar is useless from the data/metrics they've gathered (but usually don't show) and kill it. Because just like Chrome there are plans in motion to head towards a Omnibar.

It worked so well for Windows 8.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

wooger posted:

I use it because I also use it to quickly search things on Google Images, Wikipedia, IMDB, etc. As far as I know there's no way to change which engine the address bar searches with without changing your default, and even if there is I'm like Bieeardo and I want an error if I type something wrong, not a "Did you mean...?". Not to mention those times when I want to search, say, "bread", and don't want to try to remember if it's going to search for bread or automatically go to bread.com. I prefer my address bar to just be an address bar for URL-related things, and a separate search bar for search-related things.

As for my core add-ons, two others I love that haven't been mentioned are Open Link In... and Menu Editor. Menu Editor's pretty self-explanatory, and I mostly use it to reign in other add-ons that serve a useful purpose but like to add themselves to menus all over the place. Open Link In adds a lot of options to the right-click menu on hotlinks that gives you total control over where the link opens, and is great for getting around those sites that insist on trying to make everything open in a new window.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Knormal posted:

I use it because I also use it to quickly search things on Google Images, Wikipedia, IMDB, etc. As far as I know there's no way to change which engine the address bar searches with without changing your default, and even if there is I'm like Bieeardo and I want an error if I type something wrong, not a "Did you mean...?". Not to mention those times when I want to search, say, "bread", and don't want to try to remember if it's going to search for bread or automatically go to bread.com. I prefer my address bar to just be an address bar for URL-related things, and a separate search bar for search-related things.

You can use the address bar as a searchbar without even having a default. All the search engines in your searchbar can have keywords assigned to them, and if you type those keywords into the address bar followed by your search, it's functionally the same as typing in the searchbar. (Example: I have Google assigned to G, so I just type 'g bread' to search for bread on Google. The keywords can be as long or as short as you want, but initials/abbreviations are good - a few of mine are 'a' for Amazon, 'y' for Youtube, 'w' for Wikipedia, 'gis' for Google image search, and 'imdb' for take a wild guess.)

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

wooger posted:

As noted, I don't have either bar visible in my own configuration.
But they don't work the same. What I love about the dedicated address bar in FF is that I can type in fragments of an URL I once visited, even just a few letters separated by spaces, and it will dig in my history, both looking at window titles and URLs. Here's an example:

Chrome's address bar gives a short mix of search suggestions and a severely downprioritized browsing history, often only including 1 browsing history result.

The way FF handles the digging through browsing history means that there's virtually no need to bookmark anything anymore if you can just remember a few letters of the title or URL. Great stuff.

When I want to do a google search, I hit Ctrl+T, wait 1 second for google.com to load, then enter my query. When I want to do a Wikipedia search, I hit Ctrl+E to focus the search bar and start typing. gently caress if it gets any easier.

jink posted:

Every time I read a Mozilla press release I want to barf. It reads like a mix of corporate bullshit and an SJW blog post. The most vomit-inducing corporate bulletin I have ever read came from Mozilla - the one about apologizing for hiring the "gay hating" CEO and firing him. Give me some nerdy changelogs and facts any day.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I thought Yahoo used Bing anyway. Why would anybody want to use Yahoo instead of going straight to Bing?

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Pilsner posted:

Every time I read a Mozilla press release I want to barf. It reads like a mix of corporate bullshit and an SJW blog post. The most vomit-inducing corporate bulletin I have ever read came from Mozilla - the one about apologizing for hiring the "gay hating" CEO and firing him. Give me some nerdy changelogs and facts any day.

It's true, their press releases aren't the best. The issue is that Mozilla needs money. They can't rely on Google for search income forever. Google has their own browser and income streams and don't need to prop up Mozilla anymore.

The nerds out there using Firefox aren't enough to keep Mozilla afloat. They need the common people out there using their products and sharing it with other people. I try to help in that regard but most people I interact with want to use Chrome instead of Firefox. :(

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Pilsner posted:

The way FF handles the digging through browsing history means that there's virtually no need to bookmark anything anymore if you can just remember a few letters of the title or URL. Great stuff.

This but times, like, 1000. Firefox's address bar is one of the best things it has going for it.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Thirding the love for the Firefox "Awesome Bar". I think that's my biggest beef with Chrome. Every so often I try to use it out of curiosity to see if I like it yet, and every time the URL bar is one of the big things that sends me back to Firefox.

Also, I know it's superfluous, but I like having a separate search bar. Maybe I'm just used to it. I like that whatever search engine icon is in the search bar will be what pops up as "Search [chosen search engine] for..." and then the text I have highlighted when I right click. I'm not sure if you can do that without the search bar (please let me know if I'm wrong.) Plus I sometimes use it as a memopad or something.

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 24, 2014

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm on Firefox 31.1.1, and today on my desktop I've noticed that gifs are very choppy and Firefox is often using ~35% of the CPU. Sometimes it'll come back down, but when it's misbehaving it stays at that higher percentage. Should I just try clearing my profile or whatever that is first, or is there a more likely cause?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

m2pt5 posted:

You can use the address bar as a searchbar without even having a default. All the search engines in your searchbar can have keywords assigned to them, and if you type those keywords into the address bar followed by your search, it's functionally the same as typing in the searchbar. (Example: I have Google assigned to G, so I just type 'g bread' to search for bread on Google. The keywords can be as long or as short as you want, but initials/abbreviations are good - a few of mine are 'a' for Amazon, 'y' for Youtube, 'w' for Wikipedia, 'gis' for Google image search, and 'imdb' for take a wild guess.)

I actually didn't realize you could do this in Firefox. There goes one of the very few remaining things missing from FF that I had in Opera.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Desuwa posted:

I actually didn't realize you could do this in Firefox. There goes one of the very few remaining things missing from FF that I had in Opera.

It's not a new thing, I've been using it for a long time now, since at least somewhere in the early-mid teens of Firefox versions.

On a similar note, you can also make keyworded bookmarks that insert a search term into an url; for example if you make a bookmark to:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&username=%s

and give it the keyword (for example) 'goon', you can then just type 'goon <name>' in your address bar to go straight to someone's profile page. Just put %s where you want the word to be inserted, and it works anywhere in the url. (I also have one for deviant art that uses [url]http://%s.deviantart.com/.[/url])

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

m2pt5 posted:

It's not a new thing, I've been using it for a long time now, since at least somewhere in the early-mid teens of Firefox versions.

On a similar note, you can also make keyworded bookmarks that insert a search term into an url; for example if you make a bookmark to:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&username=%s

and give it the keyword (for example) 'goon', you can then just type 'goon <name>' in your address bar to go straight to someone's profile page. Just put %s where you want the word to be inserted, and it works anywhere in the url. (I also have one for deviant art that uses [url]http://%s.deviantart.com/.[/url])

I didn't think it was a new thing, it's just a feature that never made itself known to me. If I thought about it at all I probably just assumed there was an addon for it but that it'd be more effort than it was worth to track down.

I just wish it was separate from bookmarks since it means making another bookmark folder to hide them.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Desuwa posted:

I just wish it was separate from bookmarks since it means making another bookmark folder to hide them.

This. Also, if I have to re-install Firefox for whatever reason, I lose my search keywords, which doesn't make sense since I would think those would be tied to my sync profile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I'm pretty sure it used to be in there by default too (there were predefined keywords for Wikipedia, for example), but were removed for some reason.