Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mechanicalFactory
Dec 24, 2011

I could calculate your chances of survival... but you won't like it.

xarph posted:

here is an incredibly stupid way to balance a coal belt when you haven't researched anything yet.

You could just do what I do and have two burner miners feed into each other until electric drills are available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

mechanicalFactory posted:

You could just do what I do and have two burner miners feed into each other until electric drills are available.

Or 4 going clockwise.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Come on it only takes like twenty minutes to get electric drills available in the time it takes you to set up that you could already be half-way to electric drills :colbert:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Neruz posted:

Come on it only takes like twenty minutes to get electric drills available in the time it takes you to set up that you could already be half-way to electric drills :colbert:

Placing that wouldn't take much time though?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Splode posted:

Placing that wouldn't take much time though?

Yeah but one burner mine isn't going to be enough to keep all your poo poo going so you're going to need like half a dozen of those and you'll have to rebuild most of them at least once because you'll gently caress it up on the first attempt and you're spending a bunch of resources on stupid burner inserters that could be going into more burner mines to get you to electricity and actually useful things sooner.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Why would you bother balancing the output from a single burner mine? That's some pretty :spergin: poo poo.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

MrYenko posted:

Why would you bother balancing the output from a single burner mine? That's some pretty :spergin: poo poo.

:thejoke:

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man
Multiplayer is an awful lot of fun with 3-5 dudes.

Main station in action

http://gfycat.com/RequiredEnlightenedDrake

No crashes/desyncs in 10 hours of playing

Delamore fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 22, 2014

Idles
Dec 31, 2007
Just idling.
That looks awesome. They really need a public game infrastructure to find/join games. I've also noticed there's still a few crash/desync issues, but on the whole it works remarkably well for such a new feature.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star

Delamore posted:

Multiplayer is an awful lot of fun with 3-5 dudes.

Yeeeeesssss! That looks like what happens on OpenTTD servers as well - super involved train lines built by whoever logs on. I really enjoyed touristing around on those for a while. Maybe it's time to go back and see what's going on.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
My 5-man server turned into a thunderdome, essentially. We had a almost-signalless track with five lines running through one turnaround, with an average mortality rate of one player and two engines per cycle. Our motto:

Didn't help that the whole lot of us were drunk, and we had aliens set to "Starship Troopers". Lots of weird lag, disconnects and desyncs but it played mostly smooth enough! If you set bugs especially high, you don't have the room to make "perfect" setups, you have to cramp your designs and with everyone competing for space it is just a shitload of fun. Goddamn.

E: Anyone know if you can change your player color? We had one yellow guy and 3 identical blue guys.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 23, 2014

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
You can if you have scripts enabled.

http://www.factorioforums.com/wiki/index.php?title=Multiplayer#Miscellaneous_tips

code:
/c game.players[x].color = {r=0.7, g=0.5, b=0.1, a=0.9}
RGB and alpha are scaled from 0 to 1.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

"Police station"

I see what you did there.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011
Is anyone trying to setup goon multiplayer? All of my friends are lame asses and don't play the game. :(

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Niavmai posted:

Is anyone trying to setup goon multiplayer? All of my friends are lame asses and don't play the game. :(

I might consider making something when(if?) they release dedicated servers.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
I finally dipped my toes into robotics. Now I have to overhaul my base once again. :smithicide:
Really, it was due for a remodel anyway. I had a central bus system for about 10 minutes then it all fell apart.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

I am pretty much out of things to research. Now I am just a cancer spreading across the planet.

I made a save and built the rocket defense item; it has no artwork and when you click the start button it counts down and ends your game with no way to cancel.

Edit: I tried to use a train to move oil over a very long distance, it was extremely disappointing as 5 wells managed to fill 30 barrels per trip and that very quickly dwindled to 3-4 per trip. I think logistics robots are about the only practical way to move barrels.

Pro-tip: construction robots are the best way to clear cut all the loving trees. God I loving hate trees. The next best thing to clear trees is the shotgun; the flamethrower is really not good at it.

What can I do with all that wood? :sweatdrop:

Torpor fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 28, 2014

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
This game owns bones, tried the demo then got the full thing yesterday and been having fun making factories so convoluted and ugly that I dare not link them for fear of what it'll do to people.

It'd probably help if I had a building strategy, rather than just appending whatever I feel I need onto what's currently going until there's a mess of inserters, tunnel, conveyer belt loops and crates everywhere. It's fun to watch it when it all works though, even if it doesn't work very well.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK
Unsorting the tangled mess of your own base is pretty much the entire game.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Fans posted:

This game owns bones, tried the demo then got the full thing yesterday and been having fun making factories so convoluted and ugly that I dare not link them for fear of what it'll do to people.

It'd probably help if I had a building strategy, rather than just appending whatever I feel I need onto what's currently going until there's a mess of inserters, tunnel, conveyer belt loops and crates everywhere. It's fun to watch it when it all works though, even if it doesn't work very well.

Most of the time you spend ingame is overhauling your base. Usually for me, getting electric furnaces is the start of a complete teardown as I have to make room for the new smelters, reorganize my coal line and streamline all the factories I've poo poo out all over the place.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Torpor posted:

What can I do with all that wood? :sweatdrop:

If I've got something that takes fuel (power plants or furnaces) that I'm normally fueling with coal, I setup a requestor chest and use splitter priority to make them eat up wood before coal. Boom no wood problem.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Torpor posted:

Unsorting the tangled mess of your own base is pretty much the entire game.

This game is an excellent taster for the horrifying realities of actual industrial automation

"Why is that milk separator in the middle of a walkway in a warehouse full of storage tanks, when all of the other seperators are in that warehouse over there?"

Maintenance guy shrugs. "Dunno eh. last owners of this factory installed it. "

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

When I'm playing this I never get much further then the starting area. I see people making these sprawling bases, but I've never had to expand to far. How are you guys consumin so much late game?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Fans posted:

Keep the save game and return to it when you have more experience, so you can look at the abominations you started out with.

I have started rushing logistic robots lately, then use them for everything. Even ore to furnace, then product to where needed. Got a nice blueprint with 8 furnaces, requesterchest, provider chest and two seperate requesters, one requesting iron and the other copper ores. Either shift click or right click what I want the furnaces to process, then click all the requesters (use the copy thing in other words). That way I have a single design for both ores instead of using two blueprints or having to mess with requester chests.
I should mention that I have the dytech robots, which are insanely fast, and just under 8000 logistic robots, and a few hundred construction robots. 3000 robots do all the work, I always have 5000 idle sitting around.

Edit^^^^: You use a lot if you have self replicating/autocrafted and inserted robots. And if you make a ton of blue circuits for no real reason... Power armor with gear, advanced equipment adds some very expensive upgrades.

Dunno-Lars fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 28, 2014

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Krataar posted:

When I'm playing this I never get much further then the starting area. I see people making these sprawling bases, but I've never had to expand to far. How are you guys consumin so much late game?

Production capacity is it's own reward.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Krataar posted:

Because they can.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

How do I store that much? I'd love to just have an endless oil refinery with pipelines running across the map if I could to transport the oil. Should we setup goonman lists for people who want to play together?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Krataar posted:

How do I store that much? I'd love to just have an endless oil refinery with pipelines running across the map if I could to transport the oil. Should we setup goonman lists for people who want to play together?

I would join a Steam group or something. EU dude here, no idea how multiplayer across the Atlantic works.

Is the belt stoppers mod goon made? If so, they should have more hp... At least the same as a belt, so they can eat a grenade without breaking and ruining my production lines. Because it is their fault for not surviving the grenade, not my fault for throwing it.

For storing, active provider chests and many many storage chests is one solution. Chaining passive providers with inserters is possible. For storing oil, put it in barrels. You can store a huge amount of oil in barrels and chests in the same area as a tank, much much more. Steel cost is neglible when you get this far.

Dunno-Lars fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Nov 28, 2014

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fans posted:

This is what I'm currently doing, and it's a different kind of fun.

Don't ask me how this all works, because I have no idea, I just keep attaching new things. :v:

e: Oops, here's the relevant part:

Truga fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 28, 2014

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Playin' multiplayer, having a blast, as soon as we start robotin' I start desyncin'. As soon as someone has a Construction Bot in their inventory, I desync randomly until it is put in a box and destroyed, doesn't seem to affect anyone in our games except me. Ideas?

"Don't use construction bots" is a bad idea. They're the best thing :smith:
I've already reinstalled. We're all Win7 x64

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Torpor posted:

Pro-tip: construction robots are the best way to clear cut all the loving trees. God I loving hate trees. The next best thing to clear trees is the shotgun; the flamethrower is really not good at it.

You can also carpet bomb an area with Agent Orange poison capsules for fairly rapid deforestation. Probably not faster than robots, and shotguns do pretty well on their own, but it makes me feel like a proper industrial rear end in a top hat.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
I'm on my 4th map now. My first map was fresh off the first tutorial campaign, trying to figure out how to make green potions. I ended up with one huge belt that went around in a circle and carried all my resources and made a huge deadlock.

My 2nd map, I decided to space everything out and had belts running very far. I grouped all my production and just had it feed into the relevant areas with splitters and underground belts. I played around with trains, bots, and some minor mods.

3rd map I wanted a bit more difficulty, so I cranked up the alien settings. I ended up on pseudo-island with 2 little chokes leading in, so it was easy to defend. this time I opted for a 'main belt' setup that ran horizontally and branched off north and south for dedicated automation for certain products. I then added robots for supplying advanced production, and trains to bring resources from afar. It was my first real train and bot network, and now I know that you want your tracks to be dual-rail, otherwise you have to make detours everywhere.

My 4th map I started last night I wanted to try out DyTech. I'm enjoying it so far. It's another death world so I had to spend time walling my base up before I could continue advancing, because DyTech put a big tech block in front of lasers that I had to overcome that involved like 4 different types of DyTech research potions.

Here's a goon factorio group. I'm always up for some MP games. Anyone can join.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goontorio

One thing we need to decide in MP though is which version we'll run. Is 11.3 good for multiplayer? I know that 11.1 was fine for it. Is it possible to just have a separate install of Factorio just for MP use?

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK
I just kind of feel like logistics robots are a bit cheaty. Not that I don't use them, but the satisfaction I get from making some horrifyingly convoluted conveyor belt paths (that work) can't be beat. Alternatively a train-only mode(no conveyor belts or robots) would be glorious. :shepicide:

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
So it's probably a total mess but I feel proud of this anyway!

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

dipwood posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goontorio

One thing we need to decide in MP though is which version we'll run. Is 11.3 good for multiplayer? I know that 11.1 was fine for it. Is it possible to just have a separate install of Factorio just for MP use?

Totally joined, I will be up for some games later.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Fans posted:

That's one of the cleaner builds I've seen for that campaign mission. Good job.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Sage Grimm posted:

That's one of the cleaner builds I've seen for that campaign mission. Good job.

I think I hosed it up and didn't leave myself enough iron to finish the mission :( I guess I can always just roll over to a patch of iron and mine out what I need there and then do some manual transports back to my production lines in the car.

Having a blast with it though and I haven't even gotten into complicated stuff yet!

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Looking to get into some multiplayer, I'm pretty terrible at the game.

edit: I guess idling in the empty chat room is the best way to hook up? Can't message people direct usually unless they're friends.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 29, 2014

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

C'mon one of you nerds play with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Fans posted:

Pretty clean!

That 4-length L-shaped belt in the middle of the picture could be removed though, just have the inserter grab the gears directly from the assembler and input into the assembler to the right (Unless the gears are being used elsewhere as well?)