Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

PowderKeg posted:

My kid doesn't use his minecraft server anymore so I'll use those dollars for one of these.

I play a lot of SP on survivalist difficulty with no running zombies. Would that make for a good server or is it too easy?

I think that is the standard for the majority of servers. It's the other stuff that make the server good or bad.

I think my ideal server would be on the Navezgane map with claims halved in durability when the player is logged in and limited to 5 blocks. Also the loot timer set to like 1 day since the map is smaller than random gen.

Here is the official wiki page on server setups:
http://7daystodie.gamepedia.com/Server

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Jimlit posted:

I think that is the standard for the majority of servers. It's the other stuff that make the server good or bad.

I think my ideal server would be on the Navezgane map with claims halved in durability when the player is logged in and limited to 5 blocks. Also the loot timer set to like 1 day since the map is smaller than random gen.

Here is the official wiki page on server setups:
http://7daystodie.gamepedia.com/Server

Really? I thought most servers were still running zombies walk in day and run at night?

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

Really? I thought most servers were still running zombies walk in day and run at night?

I just automatically assumed he was talking about no running during the day for some reason. Zombies should always run at night.

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
I hate running zombies so yeah I turn it off for good, but I'll keep the default run at night setting on. How about having the day/night length at 30 minutes?

I'll have it up and running around 8 or 9pm EST tonight.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

PowderKeg posted:

I hate running zombies so yeah I turn it off for good, but I'll keep the default run at night setting on. How about having the day/night length at 30 minutes?

Sounds good to me, looking forward to it.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

PowderKeg posted:

What even are the server settings? The same as the single player stuff?

I only ask because I like supply drops.

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
Let me know what you guys prefer..

quote:

<ServerSettings>
<property name="ServerPort" value="25635"/> <!-- Port you want the server to listen on. -->
<property name="ServerIsPublic" value="true"/> <!-- Should this server register to master server -->
<property name="ServerName" value="My Game Host"/> <!-- Whatever you want the name to be. -->
<property name="ServerPassword" value=""/> <!-- Password to gain entry to the server -->
<property name="ServerMaxPlayerCount" value="8"/> <!-- Maximum Concurrent Players -->

<property name="GameWorld" value="Navezgane"/> <!-- Navezgane, MP Wasteland Horde, MP Wasteland Skirmish, MP Wasteland War -->
<property name="GameName" value="7 Days To Die GameServers.com"/><!-- Whatever you want the game name to be -->
<property name="GameDifficulty" value="3"/> <!-- 0 - 4, 0=easiest, 4=hardest -->
<property name="GameMode" value="GameModeSurvivalMP"/><!-- GameModeSurvivalMP, GameModeSurvivalSP (MP has land protection) -->

<property name="ZombiesRun" value="0" /> <!-- 0 = default day/night walk/run, 1 = never run, 2 = always run -->
<property name="ShowFriendPlayerOnMap" value="true" />]<!-- Show other players on minimap and main map? -->
<property name="BuildCreate" value="true" /> <!-- cheat mode on/off -->
<property name="DayNightLength" value="40" /> <!-- 30 minutes -->
<property name="FriendlyFire" value="false" /> <!-- Can friendly players damage each other (PvP) -->

<property name="DayCount" value="3" /> <!-- only for horde mode, use 0 for unlimited -->
<property name="FragLimit" value="5" /> <!-- only for deathmatch, use 0 for disabled -->
<property name="MatchLength" value="15" /> <!-- only for deathmatch, use 0 for unlimited -->
<property name="RebuildMap" value="false" /> <!-- true=map is rebuild on next round, false=not -->

<property name="ControlPanelEnabled" value="true"/> <!-- Enable/Disable the control panel -->
<property name="ControlPanelPort" value="25637"/> <!-- Port of the control panel webpage -->
<property name="ControlPanelPassword" value="829984"/><!-- Password to gain entry to the control panel -->

<property name="TelnetEnabled" value="true"/> <!-- Enable/Disable the telnet -->
<property name="TelnetPort" value="8081"/> <!-- Port of the telnet server -->
<property name="TelnetPassword" value="829984"/><!-- Password to gain entry to telnet interface -->

<property name="DisableNAT" value="true"/> <!-- set this to true if your router doesn't support NAT -->
<property name="AdminFileName"value="serveradmin.xml"/<!-- Server admin file name -->

<property name="DropOnDeath" value="0" /> <!-- 0 = everything, 1 = toolbelt only, 2 = backpack only, 3 = delete all -->
<property name="DropOnQuit" value="0" /> <!-- 0 = nothing, 1 = everything, 2 = toolbelt only, 3 = backpack only -->

<property name="CraftTimer" value="1" /> <!-- 0 = None (instant), 1 = Normal, 2 = Fast (double speed) -->
<property name="LootTimer" value="1" /> <!-- 0 = None (instant), 1 = Normal, 2 = Fast (double speed) -->

<property name="PlayerDamageGiven" value="2" /> <!-- 0 = Very Low 50%, 1 = Low 75%, 2 = Medium 100%, 3 = High 150%, 4 = Very High 200% -->
<property name="PlayerDamageRecieved" value="2" /> <!-- 0 = Very Low 50%, 1 = Low 75%, 2 = Medium 100%, 3 = High 150%, 4 = Very High 200% -->
<property name="EnemySenseMemory" value="60" /> <!-- Time, in seconds, that a zombie will pursue something that has been sensed. -->
<property name="EnemySpawnMode" value="3" /> <!-- 0 = Disabled 0%, 1 = Very Low 50%, 2 = Low 75%, 3 = Medium 100%, 4 = High 125%, 5 = Very High 150% -->
<property name="EnemyDifficulty" value="0" /> <!-- 0 = Normal, 1 = Feral -->
<property name="NightPercentage" value="35" /> <!-- percentage in whole numbers -->
<property name="BlockDurabilityModifier"value="100" /><!-- percentage in whole numbers -->

<property name="LootAbundance" value="100" /> <!-- percentage in whole numbers -->
<property name="LootRespawnDays" value="7" /> <!-- days in whole numbers -->

<property name="LandClaimSize" value="7"/> <!-- Size in blocks that is protected by a keystone -->
<property name="LandClaimDeadZone" value="30"/> <!-- Keystones must be this many blocks apart (unless you are friends with the other player) -->
<property name="LandClaimExpiryTime" value="3"/> <!-- The number of days a player can be offline before their claims expire and are no longer protected -->
<property name="LandClaimDecayMode" value="0"/> <!-- Controls how offline players land claims decay. All claims have full protection for the first 24hrs. 0=Linear, 1=Exponential, 2=Full protection until claim is expired. -->
<property name="LandClaimOnlineDurabilityModifier" value="4"/><!-- How much protected claim area block hardness is increased when a player is online. 0 means infinite (no damage will ever be taken). Default is 32x -->
<property name="LandClaimOfflineDurabilityModifier" value="4"/><!-- How much protected claim area block hardness is increased when a player is offline. 0 means infinite (no damage will ever be taken). Default is 32x -->
<property name="AirDropFrequency" value="24"/> <!-- How often airdrop occur in game-hours, 0 == never -->
<property name="SaveGameFolder" value="c:/games/68_232_178_69_25635/829984/7daystodie/Saves" /> <!-- DO NOT CHANGE THIS -->

<property name="MaxSpawnedZombies" value="60"/> <!-- Making this number too large (more than about 80) may cause servers to run at poor framerates which will effect lag and play quality for clients. -->
<property name="VACEnabled" value="true"/> <!-- Enables/Disables Valve Anti Cheat -->

</ServerSettings>

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I believe we always played with the craft timers off. It led to a lot of waiting around just for the sake of waiting around.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

I believe we always played with the craft timers off. It led to a lot of waiting around just for the sake of waiting around.

I agree with this.

Some of my personal preferences, let me know if you disagree:

quote:

<property name="GameWorld" value="Navezgane"/> <!-- Navezgane, MP Wasteland Horde, MP Wasteland Skirmish, MP Wasteland War -->
Navezgane. Every randomly generated map has just felt far to big for the server population. plus they are boring as all hell.

quote:

<property name="DropOnDeath" value="0" /> <!-- 0 = everything, 1 = toolbelt only, 2 = backpack only, 3 = delete all -->
Backpack only seems like a good middle ground.

quote:

<property name="LootRespawnDays" value="7" /> <!-- days in whole numbers -->
one or two, unless you picked the random-gen map

quote:

<property name="LandClaimSize" value="7"/> <!-- Size in blocks that is protected by a keystone -->
4 or 5

quote:

<property name="LandClaimOnlineDurabilityModifier" value="4"/><!-- How much protected claim area block hardness is increased when a player is online. 0 means infinite (no damage will ever be taken). Default is 32x -->

<property name="LandClaimOfflineDurabilityModifier" value="4"/><!-- How much protected claim area block hardness is increased when a player is offline. 0 means infinite (no damage will ever be taken). Default is 32x -->
Online: 10x
Offline: 32x

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Those seem good to me. Random Gen at the moment currently sucks.

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
put all of the above settings in.. password LLjk

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
I...dont think I actually know how you put in passwords for this game. Is there supposed to be a popup box when you attempt to join?

e; Connection failed, must be a thing somewhere.

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
yeah, it should prompt when you try to join.

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012
Just don't get too attached; a10 should be arriving in a couple of days and your stuff won't carry over with an upgrade.

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003

TheObserver posted:

Just don't get too attached; a10 should be arriving in a couple of days and your stuff won't carry over with an upgrade.

Ah well, I need the practice. Like not stepping on a landmine that I just put down. Speaking of.. I guess they don't damage the ground anymore?

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Its weird, it just sort of hangs at connecting and sometimes just immediately jumps to the password box. I dunno what the heck is with that.

PowderKeg posted:

Ah well, I need the practice. Like not stepping on a landmine that I just put down. Speaking of.. I guess they don't damage the ground anymore?

"Hold on I'll get this" :explodes: I laughed pretty hard when you exploded yourself. I think they DO do damage, just dont immediately blow holes in the ground. In general that seems to have been reduced across the board, since some creative server I was on had the rocket launcher just making tiny one or two block holes instead of the giant gaping wounds it used to.

e; Or I can't connect at all, now I'm sad.

Synnr fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 18, 2014

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Looks like A10 is coming tomorrow if there are no major problems.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

I'm most excited about server optimizations and higher player counts. The wellness system... not so much.

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
From that blog:

quote:

I had a frame to get over the wall because you can’t jump over two high walls any more.

Guess we'll have to put doors on the church now.

also

quote:

We are planning flaming arrows for alpha 11

Can't wait to accidentally burn down every forest with a missed xbow shot.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

PowderKeg posted:

Can't wait to accidentally burn down every forest with a missed xbow shot.

Light zombies on fire, run away and have them light other zombies on fire? Shoot one in a crowd, what the whole crowd light up? Gonna be interesting to fiddle with it.

Are you the only one able to log into your server? The little tracker thing looks like just one person gets on.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Synnr posted:

Light zombies on fire, run away and have them light other zombies on fire? Shoot one in a crowd, what the whole crowd light up? Gonna be interesting to fiddle with it.

I really hope they eventually include an item flammability configuration item. Sliding scale from Asbestos Sheet to LOX Soaked Fireworks Stand.

Inevitablelongshot
Mar 26, 2010

Synnr posted:

Are you the only one able to log into your server? The little tracker thing looks like just one person gets on.

I was on the other evening when there were 3 players. I was stuck on a roof with one guy, clubbing zombies that came up through the ladder. I set up a base just across the lake from the church to the NW.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I really hope they eventually include an item flammability configuration item. Sliding scale from Asbestos Sheet to LOX Soaked Fireworks Stand.

Rubbing alcohol Molotovs!

Inevitablelongshot posted:

I was on the other evening when there were 3 players. I was stuck on a roof with one guy, clubbing zombies that came up through the ladder. I set up a base just across the lake from the church to the NW.

Man I have no idea why it just sits at the connecting screen for me then. We started building murderchurch that first night but I never got back in to finish what I was doing. If anyone wants to visit it I started a minor farm on the central churches roof to stretch out my seeds to something useful and presumably its matured by now.

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
Just logged in without a problem. I run the default top option when I kick off 7DTD, not choosing between 32 or 64 bit if that makes a difference.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Those two just choose which files you install. I think at one point I had to re-download the 64bit version because it wasn't signing me in, but its the same with either.

I'm not sure whats up with connecting forever and sadly my googling just brings me a different error.

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
Let's see if it's still wonky after (hopefully today's) update. I can reinstall on server or switch hosts or something. I'll be on around 9pm EST. Steam handle's powdrkeg1 if you want to message me.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Its no worries man.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

New release pushed back a day.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

PowderKeg posted:

Let's see if it's still wonky after (hopefully today's) update. I can reinstall on server or switch hosts or something. I'll be on around 9pm EST. Steam handle's powdrkeg1 if you want to message me.

I shot you a steam friend thing. After patching tomorrow if I still can't get in I'd just like to see if a friend game invite will drag me in there.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

A10 is live

You must start a new game, it won't support old save files.

Patch notes:

http://7daystodie.com/alpha-10-apocalypse-release-is-out/

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Oh my god the monstrosities you can make are amazing.

e; PS dont randomize more than a few times. The displaced parts hide the pigman look it gets after awhile. Its like that episode of outer limits! I think its not exactly clearing the previous randomize.

e2; I have no idea how to even save favorites in this new server interface. It looks like its just reading the people who run servers instead of the server names.

Synnr fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 23, 2014

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
There's a little star button to add to favorites in the lower right panel of the server listing screen.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Yeah it was dumping them into History, but it didn't seem to save it when I crashed the client out and restarted. Oh well!

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
new server info.. password LLjk

IP address: 69.162.76.186
Port: 27072

Inevitablelongshot
Mar 26, 2010
Chunks of the world stopped loading, then when I quit I can't reconnect to the server. Is it still up?

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
It's mostly working.

Aiming's a bitch now though..

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

PowderKeg posted:

It's mostly working.

Aiming's a bitch now though..

Its working fine, its just do-it-yourself stigmata.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
All the faces you can make look like they've been chugging murky water since birth. Downsy and pained from the fear of diarrhea. It's amazing.

Also sneaking around a meadow with a handful of rocks and a reinforced club that can proc instant kills at random on headshot is really fun. For those unaware you can equip small stones on your hotbar and throw them by holding left mouse, the noise distracts zombies so they can be tricked into running away from you at night.

-Edit: Yeah I'm not going anywhere near a city yet. The new rural/suburban towns are common enough to get a few things together and gear up before heading into the cities for richer pickings though. Spend a couple of weeks, ingame time, gaining wellness and make yourself a fire axe at least to break through all the locked doors.

Verizian fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 23, 2014

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Uggh, the new 'everything is boarded up' changes makes it way harder to successfully loot any city without attracting a horde of zombies and dying like a bitch to dogs over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

PowderKeg posted:

new server info.. password LLjk

IP address: 69.162.76.186
Port: 27072

It askes me for the password, then I just get a "waiting for server" msg. Have to end the task after 5 minutes.

I tried joining other servers, and they work right away.