Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Party Alarm posted:

I will. The Voidwalkers / crafting part sounds fun. Do you have a base out in warp space or something, everyone is hostile, and you have to build up from nothing?

Yeah, you activate a base in warp space which turns everyone hostile. The base is capable of building any ship you have the blueprints of and parts for. You start out with just the Hound blueprint and you have a chance to get blueprints of whatever ships you kill and you salvage parts. You can also turn excess salvage into supplies, fuel, crew, or marines. Unfortunately, you can't craft weapons so you have to make use of whatever you salvage. It's pretty cool overall because you're forced to get creative since you end up with all sorts of strange fleet compositions and ship setups from having to make do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Has anyone tried the EVE Mod?

There's an EVE mod? How polished does it look?

Daviclond
May 20, 2006

Bad post sighted! Firing.
This game has an amazing feel, kind of like when I first started playing Mount and Blade. IN SPACE.

However, I'm feeling quite stuck and stagnant in the early game. I've been grinding up credits by attacking small pirate and independent fleets in my Lasher but I'm always one bad fight away from getting obliterated (which has happened numerous times, and is why I am now in a start-over Lasher). My pilot is level 13ish though so I have a decent skill advantage now and I don't want to start over.

It feels like I'm given the opportunity to capture frigates too rarely, and they're often crap and largely unusable (or I got unlucky and wasn't able to capture a cool phase Frigate because it self destructed on me :cry:). Should I commit to spending money on a contingent of marines for this purpose? Is there any way to make the capture probabilities work in my favour more?

How should I advance in the game? I've been grinding in Corvus mainly and have slowly developed positive standing with the Hegemony (though I'm sadly not yet at "Welcoming" rank). Their military is no longer selling wolves or useful frigates on their jungle planet whose name begins with a J (just when I'd saved up enough cash for one sadly!) and in my experience when I hyperspace to other systems I'm assailed by sky-high supply prices and tougher fleets that want to kill me.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Go after bounties. Going after a faction early on, especially if you are new, is a bad idea. There are independent bases all around the universe who will now give you the finger. They also set out bounty contracts which they won't pay out now because they hate you(but doing them WILL restore your status bit by bit).

Initially you will probably want a group of frigates, wolves and lashers are still good here. The idea is to slowly expand and pick fights with enemies around your own size (as roughly indicated on the map with the icons).

Usually your best chances at winning come from hostile fleets that remain neutrally posed when you approach them. You see if they think they can take you on the text will say something like how the fleet is trying to make you unable to disengage or whatever, while the text will say they will flee when they think they don't stand a chance.

E: boarding is a novelty that isn't worth your while at this point. It has a good chance to go wrong and most of the ships you currently fight aren't rare. Once you thrive and fight fleets containing ships that are more rare, keep a disposable ship and a good amount of redshirts on staff for the rare chance of getting that sweet ship.

Keep in mind that ships acquired through this are totally screwed and may lack weapons. It will need a lot of supplies/credits to fix.

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 22, 2014

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Boarding is pretty much always a net-negative in terms of money and resources spent, so always keep that in mind when a Boarding Chance pops up. It's entirely intended to give you an opportunity to grab ship you couldn't get another way at a higher cost. Generally 5-10 marines is all you'll need in your fleet and you'll be set. Send 3 times as many marines as they're displaying life signals and you'll only lose on self-destructs (you can go up to 4x the life sign in marines for a guaranteed victory but you lose more if it blows itself up). Most pirate ships you don't even wanna bother with though because they'll be a (D) type and with some exceptions they have irreparable engine damage (so they are giant anchors that drag your entire fleet down). If you see a pristine ship you think you can use? That's when you send in the marines, but only if you have a surplus of supplies and can survive a self destruction doing horrendous damage or killing the ship you send in to dock.

Always Hard Dock or the cost of boarding goes up tremendously because you'll need to use a fuckton of marines in an non-dock boarding attempt. This is where the tiny .5 or 1 supply a day shuttles really shine - the 20 crew version can deliver more than enough marines in a hard dock attempt to capture everything smaller than a cruiser and it's dirt cheap to replace if something goes wrong (plus it's fast so it doesn't slow your fleet).

You're fairly high level, I'm hope you put your points into the Burn Speed skill?
Also you've attacked Indie fleets? That'll tank your income because half of the bounties are handed out by the Indie stations, not the empires.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 22, 2014

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The only way to make boarding actions worthwhile is to have the good shuttle in your fleet (I forget the name - the one that can hold 30 people) and send it in to hard dock if you get a chance to board a rare ship. They cost under 10k so even if you lose it, you're not out very much on the hull.

Even with this method, though, you really only want to try a boarding action if you see something rare that you can't easily buy.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Artificer posted:

There's an EVE mod? How polished does it look?

Afaik it is just a straight 1 to 1 model copy from the top down view, the guns are meh...so not really that polished tbh. But maybe that changed from last time I look.

Daviclond
May 20, 2006

Bad post sighted! Firing.
OK thanks for the boarding advice, I've been wasting a lot of crew this way. Also I didn't realise the "D" stood for defective in pirate ships :downs:

Regarding the independents... yeah, oops. I'm -100 reputation with them. I needed more targets to shoot :shobon: Is it worth starting over?

I fixed a couple of retarded things I was doing with my ship setup; I stuck with Salamander missiles for way too long when Harpoons are much more powerful. I also realised I've been using assault guns on my Lasher (HE damage) when I actually should really be using autocannons (kinetic). I've got a much more balanced damage profile now, and am taking on much larger hostile fleets and winning, particularly where they have a lot of unshielded frigates and I can just saturate them with Harpoons.

How do bounties work? I've seen them get posted but I have no idea how to hunt them down. I just watched an LP video where a guy killed his very first pirate fleet and received a bounty payment, is it just chance-based or something?

Am I right thinking there's no point putting attribute points into Industry at this stage? Is there any way to avoid paying the 30% trade tax?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Check your intel screen for currently running bounties. Generic bounties just want you to blow up pirates in the system specified in the message. For the named ones read carefully, both the system and the area are specified. Make sure you check the date you received the message and your current date. Bounties are always time bound. Once you are sure you have the time to get there just head out and ruin their day. You get paid automatically, unless the faction who put out the bounty hates you. Then you get just +rep instead.

Note that for named bounties they also give a hint as to what you're facing, plus that each successful run slowly ups the money reward along with the target's fleet size and difficulty.

For skills, it's best to maybe put one point in fleet logistics and then head down the tech tree. It's stupidly overpowered. Each aptitude point raises your ordnance points by 1%, plus there two skills in there that do the same plus give you tons of useful hull mods. It seriously cranks up your ships. Finally that same tree has a skill that increases your burn level across the board so everything gets much more zippy. With the right setup even Onslaughts can reach a burn level of 7.

Once you have that maxed and got the logistics you want, there's another lvl10 skill in another tree that reduces the ordnance points your weapons need by 1/2/4 based on weapon size.

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 22, 2014

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Daviclond posted:

Regarding the independents... yeah, oops. I'm -100 reputation with them. I needed more targets to shoot :shobon: Is it worth starting over?

In my experience it's enough if you pick one big enemy on top of pirates. I'm favoring pissing off Sindrian Diktat myself. They spawn boatloads of fleets, including large detachments so you won't get bored even with a capital ship under you. Also, SD spawns "Lion's Guard" fleets that offer you some easy Tempests for capturing.

Even snagged a Hyperion from a Lion's Guard fleet, but I sold it since even though Hyperions have the ridicilously overpowered teleport, it costs 40% CR per deployment. That didn't fit into my constant fighting. I wouldn't mind seeing the CR per deployment reduced to something more manageable like 20%ish and adding a 50% flux cost to that idiotic teleport.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Fewd posted:

In my experience it's enough if you pick one big enemy on top of pirates. I'm favoring pissing off Sindrian Diktat myself. They spawn boatloads of fleets, including large detachments so you won't get bored even with a capital ship under you. Also, SD spawns "Lion's Guard" fleets that offer you some easy Tempests for capturing.

Even snagged a Hyperion from a Lion's Guard fleet, but I sold it since even though Hyperions have the ridicilously overpowered teleport, it costs 40% CR per deployment. That didn't fit into my constant fighting. I wouldn't mind seeing the CR per deployment reduced to something more manageable like 20%ish and adding a 50% flux cost to that idiotic teleport.

Don't forget that undefended cargo fleets will dock at their allies stations! Meaning that free money is often just floating there, undefended. And other factions don't care if you beat up their allies - they only care about killing their enemies or their own fleets.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

However you might get dinged for causing a trade disruption by poaching the orbiting fleets and then selling the loot for mad bank.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Arrath posted:

However you might get dinged for causing a trade disruption by poaching the orbiting fleets and then selling the loot for mad bank.

And them make it right back for trading with said planet!

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Welp. My save from last night won't load :(

e: Fixed, was out of memory. Phew!

VVVV: Yeah, I had already switched to 64 bit java

Party Alarm fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 22, 2014

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Playing with mods? Did you already up the ram the game uses? Hell, have you switched to 64 bit java yet so you can actually allocate the ram you want?

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I can't seem to break myself from buying every single Wolf I see. I love these things, and it's really fun to go zipping around the map with a wolf pack while some bigger ships get in position.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
On the subject of Wolves - anyone got any better loadouts than the standard Graviton Beam / Harpoons / whichever ones the green lasers are? I've experimented a bit but nothing's really struck me as any better yet.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Heavy Blasters at all times.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

If you have the +1 missile upgrade from Combat, putting torpedos in the bomb slots and an antimatter in the front small makes a great big game hunter.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

If you're running SHI then replace the tac lasers with light cepcs.

This requires some hold fire micromanaging cause they will max your flux shooting at missiles that you're dodging anyway. They chew right through hull once you nail them with a heavy blaster shot.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 23, 2014

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I kind of wish that there were varients of ships with different mounts. Like, if some Pirate Wolf frigates had kinetics instead of energy weapons.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Brainbread posted:

And them make it right back for trading with said planet!

Haha, hunting down food shortage relief fleets to take all the food and deliver it yourself is the best thing in drat game

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Hey, is there a place to download 6.2a somewhere? I really want to give a Voidwalker Uomoz run a shot!

e: woop, found it http://fractalsoftworks.com/category/releases/

e2: Now I can't find the right version of Shaderlib. Welp :/

Party Alarm fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 23, 2014

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I sold some drugs once, way back at the start of the game. And I am CONSTANTLY pinged by negative relations with the Hegemony over it. I just took a -77 hit off them and it has been ingame months since I "smuggled". :mad:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I just played a bit of the arcade mission in Starsector+ for the first time and holy poo poo it's crazy fun. You should all try it.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
http://www.mediafire.com/download/52vn3fbjoodi9ds/ShaderLib+Alpha+v1.7.zip

So the guy who makes ShaderLib is a cool dude and emailed me the link for the old version. If anyone else was late to the party like me and wants to give Uomoz's Sector a go, have at it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

I sold some drugs once, way back at the start of the game. And I am CONSTANTLY pinged by negative relations with the Hegemony over it. I just took a -77 hit off them and it has been ingame months since I "smuggled". :mad:

Something is not right there, you should only get one faction adjustment for any given single thing you did. I've never seen something like that happen in my games.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Are you buying/selling stuff on the black market at all? Because that would do it.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Brovine posted:

Are you buying/selling stuff on the black market at all? Because that would do it.

Nah sometimes I'm not even near a base and it happens, have not done any trading at all in a while. I've isolated it to a single save, doesn't seem to happen on any others, endless reputation dumps for "smuggling" from Hegemony. Ended up giving up on that save because of it.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
I bought some ship from independent black markets early in my last game, think it was Enforcer or possibly a cruiser of some sort. Anyways, aaaaages after that I took two large hits to independent rep as they had finished investigation or something. Never heard about it after that and didn't give a poo poo because independents.

Also, I've now played two characters to low 40's and one to 49 and still haven't seen a single Conquest for sale. Or Venture for that matter, but heh, Venture.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

Something is not right there, you should only get one faction adjustment for any given single thing you did. I've never seen something like that happen in my games.

I get constant messages how investigations point to me being involved in some big smuggling on asharu. Thing is I did that in the first month. I think years passed since then. I still get the same drat note about it.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Man, I'd love to see a combination of Exerelin and Uomoz's Sector where the sector warfare component was still in place. If I get a stick up my rear end I may try my hand at making that happen over my winter break.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Boy I really can't wait for that update that fixes a bunch of the memory issues in Starsector. I've been playing with Starsector+ and its associated mods and after more than a handful of hours into a game it becomes impossible to load and that's with the 64-bit Java and allowing Starsector to use more memory. I think Starsector (especially modded) at the moment might be the most memory-intensive game I've ever played which is so weird since it's so un-intensive in every other category.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
There seems to be some version flag in various people's mods that causes that problem where you can't load saved games. Starsector+ itself, Shadowyards and Citadtel are working correctly for me so far.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

Boy I really can't wait for that update that fixes a bunch of the memory issues in Starsector. I've been playing with Starsector+ and its associated mods and after more than a handful of hours into a game it becomes impossible to load and that's with the 64-bit Java and allowing Starsector to use more memory. I think Starsector (especially modded) at the moment might be the most memory-intensive game I've ever played which is so weird since it's so un-intensive in every other category.

You need to edit vmparams in the Starsector folder so it can use more memory

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Party Alarm posted:

You need to edit vmparams in the Starsector folder so it can use more memory

I had already done that.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
You shouldn't be editing vmparams, you should be pointing the batch file at your 64 bit java and running from said batch file. The memory controls are in the .bat as well.

e: for reference, this is the content of my batch file:

start "C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin" java.exe -Djava.library.path=native\windows -Xms3g -Xmx6g -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.logs=. -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.saves=../saves -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.screenshots=../screenshots -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.mods=../mods -classpath janino.jar;commons-compiler.jar;commons-compiler-jdk.jar;starfarer.res.jar;starfarer.api.jar;starfarer_obf.jar;jogg-0.0.7.jar;jorbis-0.0.15.jar;json.jar;lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util_applet.jar;jinput.jar;lwjgl_test.jar;log4j-1.2.9.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;fs.sound_obf.jar;fs.common_obf.jar;xstream-1.4.2.jar com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Plek posted:

You shouldn't be editing vmparams, you should be pointing the batch file at your 64 bit java and running from said batch file. The memory controls are in the .bat as well.

e: for reference, this is the content of my batch file:

start "C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin" java.exe -Djava.library.path=native\windows -Xms3g -Xmx6g -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.logs=. -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.saves=../saves -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.screenshots=../screenshots -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.mods=../mods -classpath janino.jar;commons-compiler.jar;commons-compiler-jdk.jar;starfarer.res.jar;starfarer.api.jar;starfarer_obf.jar;jogg-0.0.7.jar;jorbis-0.0.15.jar;json.jar;lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util_applet.jar;jinput.jar;lwjgl_test.jar;log4j-1.2.9.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;fs.sound_obf.jar;fs.common_obf.jar;xstream-1.4.2.jar com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher

Depends on how you go about it. I replaced the game's jre folder with my 64 bit one and run the game through the exe. Editing the vmparam worked fine for me.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

It'll be nice when the memory, the 64bit and the borderless fullscreen edits become part of the launcher. Instead of needing to edit the drat files for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiger Shark
Oct 2, 2013

Brainbread posted:

It'll be nice when the memory, the 64bit and the borderless fullscreen edits become part of the launcher. Instead of needing to edit the drat files for them.

Whoa, you can get borderless fullscreen? Please explain how.