Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Anonymous Robot posted:

Watership Down, huh? Outside of that Wes Anderson flick, is that the first work of animation they've done since Akira? Frankly, I would love nothing more than to see Criterion bringing back some classic works of animation, particularly some stuff from the Soviet Union. Even if they wanted to put it in a separate collection.

Not criterion, and I'm fairly certain it's DVD only but you should definitely check out the Animated Soviet Propaganda set that was released several years back if you haven't already. Its great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I would have pegged Don't Look Now for a buy if it had come with a scholarly commentary to explain just what the gently caress is going on. Might check out the Renoir and the Goddard.

There's a lot of explanations of Don't Look Now's story out there. But in short it's a story about grief destroying a man.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I've missed all the other Criterion presentations at Ohio State University but this one looks like it'd be really neat.

If anyone else is in Columbus and wants to go, PM me and we can meet up.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I'm not sure about that one, but Burroughs: The Movie showing the night before looks terrific.

I've never been inside the Wexner, but passed it many times. Maybe I will get lucky and get to see some of these in February.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Dr.Caligari posted:

I'm not sure about that one, but Burroughs: The Movie showing the night before looks terrific.

I've never been inside the Wexner, but passed it many times. Maybe I will get lucky and get to see some of these in February.

It's a very nice theater. I've seen Yo La Tengo, Hausu, A Night at the Opera and some other stuff there and it was all great. The Marx Brothers movie even appeared to be in HD, so I've got my fingers crossed for an eventual remaster. I'd just about die if Criterion picked them up.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
Watch your promotions tab. B&N sent out another 15% off coupon code email for the weekend.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cloks posted:

It's a very nice theater. I've seen Yo La Tengo, Hausu, A Night at the Opera and some other stuff there and it was all great. The Marx Brothers movie even appeared to be in HD, so I've got my fingers crossed for an eventual remaster. I'd just about die if Criterion picked them up.

Warner Bros. confirmed a while ago that A Night at the Opera was being restored. I think a mostly complete print of the original cut was found in Europe, but nothing has been elaborated upon. MGM cut the film to pieces for a re-release to remove all references to Italy. That's why the film currently has a weird jump cut after the opening credits.

Criterion handling the Marx Brothers films would be awesome, though. I don't see Universal wanting to release anything besides Duck Soup. They're all shorter films, so they could easily fit everything into a Tati-sized box set.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

I have another 15% off coupon for the sale, it ends tomorrow.

Edit: Claimed!

E.G.G.S. fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 22, 2014

Dr.Cthulhu
Jan 19, 2005

Earache! Earache!
Cthulhu Fatigue!
Do any Canadian goons have experience ordering from the Barnes and Noble sale? I hear horror stories but I need to order some items asap for Christmas gifts.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

Do any Canadian goons have experience ordering from the Barnes and Noble sale? I hear horror stories but I need to order some items asap for Christmas gifts.

During the summer sale I got everything in about a week which blew me away because it usually takes a month.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

If you order now they should arrive before Christmas. I don't like how I ordered 4 movies and they shipped three in one batch and the last one a few minutes later separately but oh well. Thinking of picking up a few more today (The Shooting/Ride in the Whirlwind and not sure what else)

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I blind-bought Eraserhead, Night of the Hunter and High and Low this time since I didn't buy anything the last two sales. Looking forward to seeing all of them for the first time.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Those are like, three of the best movies in the whole collection so you're in for a treat.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Night of the Hunter is pretty much "film school in a box"

Here's some lesser-known gems that are worth checking out as well:

The Gold Rush: Yeah, it's a significant Chaplin film and not quite lesser-known... but what isn't widely seen is Chaplin's original 1925 cut of the film. If you haven't seen the silent version, you haven't seen the film. It's such a powerful, funny movie without the changes Chaplin made for the re-release. I went from ranking it as a lesser film to one of his best. It also helps that the new 2K restoration looks incredible and even has a 5.1 re-recording of the '42 version music score.

Lonesome: It's Sunrise's kinder, gentler brother. Just as stunning cinema-wise, but endlessly charming. There's a few talkie sequences that appear abruptly that are wonderfully candid, as if they were culled from between takes. It also includes two other Paul Fejos films. Also like Sunrise, it's in pretty rough shape, but it makes it more of an antique look (also check out the hand-painted tints!)

People on Sunday: This would make for a good triple feature with Lonesome and Man with a Movie Camera. It's like going on a holiday with friends. Not much plot, just experience. See it if just for the pedigree - direction by Robert and Curt Siodmak, Fred Zinneman, and Edgar J. Ulmer, scenario by Billy Wilder, and cinematography by Eugen Schufftan.

Lubitsch Musicals - DVD only, but worth it just for The Love Parade, which is one of his funniest movies. One of the best opening scenes in a movie ever.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Egbert Souse posted:

The Gold Rush: Yeah, it's a significant Chaplin film and not quite lesser-known... but what isn't widely seen is Chaplin's original 1925 cut of the film. If you haven't seen the silent version, you haven't seen the film. It's such a powerful, funny movie without the changes Chaplin made for the re-release. I went from ranking it as a lesser film to one of his best. It also helps that the new 2K restoration looks incredible and even has a 5.1 re-recording of the '42 version music score.

It was between this and Red River for me, and I chose Red River. Next one is definitely Gold Rush.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah, I've been meaning to get Night of the Hunter for a while now, but every sale I wanted to order it it was always sold out. I don't even give a gently caress I had to pay $25 for it, I need to see the drat movie.

As for the others, Kurosawa is my favorite director and after all the praise you guys were giving it in here, I basically had to get it. I mean, I have all of his other blu-rays from Criterion, so I should probably use this to round it out.
As for Lynch, Twin Peaks and Fire Walk with Me were my first and only exposure so far, and I'm dying for more. I'm glad I get to watch it in the best it's looked for the first time.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 24, 2014

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Quote is not edit

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Those are like, three of the best movies in the whole collection so you're in for a treat.

Seriously, they're all in my top 100.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

GonSmithe posted:

As for Lynch, Twin Peaks and Fire Walk with Me were my first and only exposure so far, and I'm dying for more. I'm glad I get to watch it in the best it's looked for the first time.

There is literally nothing like Eraserhead - it can't even be considered a primer of Lynch's work, because it's so far out there in my opinion. While there's definitely seeds of future works there, it's so much more a work in surrealism than the others, I think. I'm hyped because he's coming to my city to launch an exhibition of his artwork early next year.

Got my first order of the sale shipped to Australia in a week, so there turned up today:

Macbeth
Eraserhead
The Complete Jacques Tati
Life Aquatic...
If...
All That Jazz
F For Fake

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah, I've been meaning to get Night of the Hunter for a while now, but every sale I wanted to order it it was always sold out. I don't even give a gently caress I had to pay $25 for it, I need to see the drat movie.

As for the others, Kurosawa is my favorite director and after all the praise you guys were giving it in here, I basically had to get it. I mean, I have all of his other blu-rays from Criterion, so I should probably use this to round it out.

Definitely check out Blue Velvet, it's a lot like Twin Peaks and Fire Walk With Me.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

I bought Night of the Hunter before it was released on Criterion (I think it was an MGM release) but I haven't convinced myself that I need an upgrade. It's a great film but for whatever reason I haven't felt much of a need to rewatch it. At any rate I think I need a break from noirs so I ordered The Shooting/Ride in Whirlwind, Pasolini's Trilogy of Life, Black Orpheus and Week End. God have mercy on my credit card.

As for Lynch - Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive are his masterpieces, but I'll always have a soft spot for Wild at Heart :3:

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That's a good question to ask everyone else - just based on film quality itself, what are your top 3-5 essential titles to own for those just starting out?

Egbert Souse kinda did that already and I certainly echo the love for Night of the Hunter, Lonesome, and High & Low.

Other titles I'd say are must-owns: The Red Shoes (that dance sequence alone), Diaboliques, The Earrings of Madame De..., In The Mood for Love, and Persona. I also love Certified Copy and Secret Sunshine as two not-so-obvious choices.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

If I have to limit it to five, The Third Man (which I've bought three times), Brazil (twice), La Jetee/Sans Soleil because why not jump in the deep end, and as gateways to their respective genres, Yojimbo and Le Samourai.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

friendo55 posted:

That's a good question to ask everyone else - just based on film quality itself, what are your top 3-5 essential titles to own for those just starting out?

To recommend for someone else, I'd probably say Night of the Hunter, The Seventh Seal, The Thin Red Line, Seven Samurai, and The Third Man.

My own personal top 5 would be a little different, swapping out the last two for F for Fake and Branded to Kill, but I wouldn't call those two as "essential" - I just really love them.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I've actually never seen a Charlie Chaplin or Harold Lloyd film. What's the general consensus on these?

Safety Last!
The Freshman
Gold Rush
Great Dictator
Modern Times

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've actually never seen a Charlie Chaplin or Harold Lloyd film. What's the general consensus on these?

Safety Last!
The Freshman
Gold Rush
Great Dictator
Modern Times

All masterpieces but City Lights (which is also Criterion) is the best Chaplin.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

friendo55 posted:

Seven Samurai, Modern Times, M, In The Mood For Love, and The Third Man. This is not a very creative list.

But I think a more interesting question would be the top picks of movies you wouldn't have known about without the Criterion Collection, which I think is one of the best reasons to have this sort of curated collection. This might out my film ignorance, but I'd certainly put Hausu, The Sweet Smell of Success, The Red Shoes, Anatomy of a Murder, or even stuff from well known directors like del Toro's The Devil's Backbone or Christopher Nolan's Following on that list.

Basically what I'm saying is that the Criterion collection is great.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

penismightier posted:

All masterpieces but City Lights (which is also Criterion) is the best Chaplin.

This is especially convenient, as my sister just bought it.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Anyone know a way to find out if they are planning on putting out a bluray of an older DVD release? I'm considering grabbing the Beastie Boys video collection, but its DVD only and mleeehhhhh.

My shopping cart has Seven Samurai, Seventh Seal, Being John Malkovich and Godzilla in it right now, and I'm thinking about adding either It Happened One Night, The Times of Harvey Milk or Frances Ha to this batch. Or maybe two of those and dropping Godzilla.

Any input? I want all of these eventually, but I'd like to prioritize the ones with the coolest bonus poo poo. Out of these I've seen Being John Malkovich, Frances Ha and Godzilla.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

I'd say keep Godzilla if you're prioritizing cool bonus poo poo - the packaging itself is great, and the two commentaries (one included on the bonus film, the Raymond Burr recut of Godzilla, King of the Monsters) are some of my favorites Criterion has ever put out.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Three films: The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, Tokyo Story and Harold and Maude.

The first two I wouldn't have ever seen if they weren't in the collection and they're good for so many different reasons - Blimp's portrayal of aging and struggling with ideals in a changing world and ... the same for Tokyo Story. Huh. Actually, all three of them kind of touch on this but in different ways. Frustration and fight in Blimp, sentimentality and sorrow in Tokyo Story and dark humor and belligerent aggression in Harold and Maude.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Stan Taylor posted:

Anyone know a way to find out if they are planning on putting out a bluray of an older DVD release? I'm considering grabbing the Beastie Boys video collection, but its DVD only and mleeehhhhh.

My shopping cart has Seven Samurai, Seventh Seal, Being John Malkovich and Godzilla in it right now, and I'm thinking about adding either It Happened One Night, The Times of Harvey Milk or Frances Ha to this batch. Or maybe two of those and dropping Godzilla.

Any input? I want all of these eventually, but I'd like to prioritize the ones with the coolest bonus poo poo. Out of these I've seen Being John Malkovich, Frances Ha and Godzilla.

How is The Times of Harvey Milk?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

bobkatt013 posted:

How is The Times of Harvey Milk?

Fantastic.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

GrandpaPants posted:

Seven Samurai, Modern Times, M, In The Mood For Love, and The Third Man. This is not a very creative list.

But I think a more interesting question would be the top picks of movies you wouldn't have known about without the Criterion Collection, which I think is one of the best reasons to have this sort of curated collection. This might out my film ignorance, but I'd certainly put Hausu, The Sweet Smell of Success, The Red Shoes, Anatomy of a Murder, or even stuff from well known directors like del Toro's The Devil's Backbone or Christopher Nolan's Following on that list.

Basically what I'm saying is that the Criterion collection is great.

I'd probably go with:

-Life Is Sweet
-Paris, Texas
-Jeanne Dielmann
-The Man Who Fell To Earth
-Faces

I mean, honestly, these are just not movies I probably would have seen without Criterion. I know we've talked about the Criterion "bias" in film circles, but the releases they do are just so well done, and the transfers so reliably good, which is especially important for films like these where if Criterion hadn't released them they'd probably still be limping around on lovely nonanamorphic flipper discs.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
I love the disc for Head, especially the story the director tells about how the poster ended up being just a photograph of the poster designer :lost:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

-The Man Who Fell To Earth

I'll echo that for sure. I don't know if I'd recommend that one as a blind buy to anyone, though. It's definitely grown on me, but my reaction to my first viewing probably wasn't that great.

Edit: This is a moot point, I guess, since it's OOP

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Apparently it's coming back, though.

Your reaction is much the same as mine. I've seen Performance and Walkabout now, though, and some other strange stuff, so I'm ready to give it another go.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

At last, My Little Pony will get the Criterion treatment it deserves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Discount Viscount posted:

Apparently it's coming back, though.

Your reaction is much the same as mine. I've seen Performance and Walkabout now, though, and some other strange stuff, so I'm ready to give it another go.

Oh drat it's coming back? I need to dump my copy then. Was a blind buy, watched it once, never again. It's. Just. So. Freaking. Slow. Even. For. A. Person. That. Likes. Slow. Movies.