Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Nobody likes SMF.

I might rewatch Dino Thunder soon. That was a good season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Because I am really curious I watched the penultimate episode of SMF, having only seen clips so far.
That was just stupid, especially near the end.

The silver ranger left, but they had Gozyujin footage to use so it's just like ":rolleyes: well the Q-Rex is sitll here, lucky us."

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Poison Mushroom posted:

Nobody likes SMF.

I might rewatch Dino Thunder soon. That was a good season.

Its annoying since its pretty much Power Rangers: Wasted Potential. Occasionally, they seem to have some sense of what they could do with it, and then... then they don't bring back more than two rangers prior to the finale, they don't do anything with Gosei as his own character, they throw in pointless sentai footage whilst going ~New Powers~, and in general there are too many questions raised which they don't even bother tackling.

I think what sums it up most is how literally generic everything is. They're a 'Mega' force, or they have 'Ultra' powers, or 'Super Mega' powers. With other seasons, if the writing failed or was mediocre, you could at least fall back on a given team's particular style and aesthetic to direct how fights and storyline played out. Even in Mystic Force or Operation Overdrive or hell, Samurai its clear enough what those shows are supposed to be about, even if they screw it up in the long run.

But what the hell is Megaforce about? Its not about celebrating the anniversary, because outside of perhaps three or four episodes in the whole damned thing, they don't. They just use the powers because they have the stock footage that says they can. 'Protecting the Earth'? Well, okay, but that's what every Power Rangers series has as part of the schtick. By trying to 'encapsulate' the franchise, Megaforce only manages not to stand out in it.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Astro Nut posted:

Its annoying since its pretty much Power Rangers: Wasted Potential. Occasionally, they seem to have some sense of what they could do with it, and then... then they don't bring back more than two rangers prior to the finale, they don't do anything with Gosei as his own character, they throw in pointless sentai footage whilst going ~New Powers~, and in general there are too many questions raised which they don't even bother tackling.

I think what sums it up most is how literally generic everything is. They're a 'Mega' force, or they have 'Ultra' powers, or 'Super Mega' powers. With other seasons, if the writing failed or was mediocre, you could at least fall back on a given team's particular style and aesthetic to direct how fights and storyline played out. Even in Mystic Force or Operation Overdrive or hell, Samurai its clear enough what those shows are supposed to be about, even if they screw it up in the long run.

But what the hell is Megaforce about? Its not about celebrating the anniversary, because outside of perhaps three or four episodes in the whole damned thing, they don't. They just use the powers because they have the stock footage that says they can. 'Protecting the Earth'? Well, okay, but that's what every Power Rangers series has as part of the schtick. By trying to 'encapsulate' the franchise, Megaforce only manages not to stand out in it.

Thanks for hitting the nail dead on, Astro Nut. Megaforce feels like the most generic series since MMPR, but MMPR was the origin, so it made sense to be generic, this is just lazy. Even Dino Charge is going for the same electricity/dinosaurs theme Kyoryuger had, so we know they can do the theme.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm cautiously optimistic about Dino Charge, from what I've seen of the cast and who's in charge.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic about Dino Charge, from what I've seen of the cast and who's in charge.

Funny you mention that: There's a trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebu9oPWZ7WE

Kinda annoyed they're still using 'Its morphing time!', but aside of that...

Holy crap original effects shot. Original villain. Dammit I don't want to be betrayed again.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
SMF would've been rad if they at least had decent music. Like, it's just really boring tunes throughout the fights and one video really pointed out how a simple OST change could liven things up enough to ignore the bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU9zTUruqxk

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Also just discovered - turns out, the new Blue is a fanboy. As in, he watched Kyoryuger and geeked out when he got Nossan's approval.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Astro Nut posted:

Also just discovered - turns out, the new Blue is a fanboy. As in, he watched Kyoryuger and geeked out when he got Nossan's approval.

Plus he's extremely handsome to boot. The full package :syoon:

But yeah, I like how diverse this cast is so far, with only 2 white bread guys, which makes sense for the Ian counterpart.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Solaris Knight posted:

Plus he's extremely handsome to boot. The full package :syoon:

But yeah, I like how diverse this cast is so far, with only 2 white bread guys, which makes sense for the Ian counterpart.
We haven't had a non-white Red Ranger since like, RPM, have we?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Pink is really, really pretty :3:

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Astro Nut posted:

Yoshi revealed he got to preview Ninninger. What makes me intrigued about this is that they're filming sentai in New Zealand. I don't think they've done that since Gekiranger.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Poison Mushroom posted:

We haven't had a non-white Red Ranger since like, RPM, have we?

Two things

1) TECHNICALLY that's only been two seasons. Just, you know, Nick sucks a butt.

2) Megaforce Red is, I think, Hispanic? So if he counts or not I'm not sure.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Astro Nut posted:

Funny you mention that: There's a trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebu9oPWZ7WE

Kinda annoyed they're still using 'Its morphing time!', but aside of that...

Holy crap original effects shot. Original villain. Dammit I don't want to be betrayed again.

That actually looks like it'll be decent, although the new villain looks kinda lame(also the whole Bounty Hunter being the Big Bad just feels ridiculous, like if they made Lobo the main villain for a Superman movie or something)

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

At least this guy can do the whole It's Morphin Time well from the sounds of it.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Burkion posted:

Two things

2) Megaforce Red is, I think, Hispanic? So if he counts or not I'm not sure.

IIRC he's either Hawaiian or Samoan.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
No he is a robot.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Burkion posted:

Wait a second, I watched RPM on Netflix and it was at least three years ago.

How many episodes did Samurai and Megaforce have?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

SKY COQ posted:

No he is a robot.

Oh oops I read that as Dino Charge Red somehow. I'm pretty sure Megaforce Red came from a wonder bread factory.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Some Numbers posted:

Samurai and Megaforce got split into two seasons each, with each one getting a Super ______ as a second season. Samurai was just split down the middle, Super Megaforce adapted the next season of Sentai. If they hadn't skipped Go-Busters, we'd be super behind on adaptations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

jivjov posted:

Samurai and Megaforce got split into two seasons each, with each one getting a Super ______ as a second season. Samurai was just split down the middle, Super Megaforce adapted the next season of Sentai. If they hadn't skipped Go-Busters, we'd be super behind on adaptations.

Yeah, I knew that, it's just mindboggling to think that despite squashing Goseiger and Gokaiger into one show, they're still that far behind. How long was the break between RPM and Samurai?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, I knew that, it's just mindboggling to think that despite squashing Goseiger and Gokaiger into one show, they're still that far behind. How long was the break between RPM and Samurai?

About 2 years.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oh yeah, there was that remaster season of MMPR in there too. Not sure how we'll handle that for the podcast. I'm thinking a single episode discussing what's new and different, and maybe a redo of our Day of the Dumpster review with the perspective of being almost 20 seasons later.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

jivjov posted:

Oh yeah, there was that remaster season of MMPR in there too. Not sure how we'll handle that for the podcast. I'm thinking a single episode discussing what's new and different, and maybe a redo of our Day of the Dumpster review with the perspective of being almost 20 seasons later.

Getting a little ahead of yourselves, aren't you?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Some Numbers posted:

About 40 episodes each, just took so long cause Nickelodeon has a retarded policy where a show can't show more than 20 new episodes in a year(Ninja Turtles seems to be the exception to that rule), and it's crippling the franchise

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

jivjov posted:

POW! ZAP! MORPHINOMINAL!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SpazmasterX posted:

POW! ZAP! MORPHINOMINAL!

Well poo poo, now we don't have anything left to talk about in the episode. Thanks.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Well that was something. They at least had a bunch of cameos which is nice. Also the Zeo team was missing Red I noticed. Not really sure how the RPM Rangers were there but I guess you can just say the Turbo Falconzord brought them over.

I also must have missed how Tommy got the Green Ranger powers back somewhere.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

Well that was something. They at least had a bunch of cameos which is nice. Also the Zeo team was missing Red I noticed. Not really sure how the RPM Rangers were there but I guess you can just say the Turbo Falconzord brought them over.

I also must have missed how Tommy got the Green Ranger powers back somewhere.

There's a very good explanation to all of this, but unfortunately the final battle is about to start so you'll have to come back later.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Did you guys do the unaired pilot already? I only listened from MMPR 3 because that's how far my podcast program would go back. Also, for the lovely toku show you always do between seasons do you think you'll do Los Luchadores at some point? It's... pretty insane.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

Did you guys do the unaired pilot already? I only listened from MMPR 3 because that's how far my podcast program would go back. Also, for the lovely toku show you always do between seasons do you think you'll do Los Luchadores at some point? It's... pretty insane.

Well now that you've MENTIONED IT I guess we're going to have to.

What do you think of the show so far? Anything we need to improve on?

...and I'm not sure if Jason and Wade ever did the pilot-I know I haven't. That'd be fun to go to some time.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Can I have a link to the podcast ?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Burkion posted:

Well now that you've MENTIONED IT I guess we're going to have to.

What do you think of the show so far? Anything we need to improve on?

...and I'm not sure if Jason and Wade ever did the pilot-I know I haven't. That'd be fun to go to some time.

I like it. I think there was a big improvement when you moved to shorter summaries and then commentary, but I think in Turbo and In Space this has made some episodes overly short, and feel like a lot of details get skipped over sometimes. I feel like maybe if you could find a middle ground that would be great. I think the important episodes like premieres, finales, sixth ranger introductions, deaths, team ups, villain changeups and other noteworthy episodes could use the old format.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

Can I have a link to the podcast ?

http://www.wadejobkar.com/ The main website, you can find us on Itunes under, I believe, Podcasters With Attitude.

greatn posted:

I like it. I think there was a big improvement when you moved to shorter summaries and then commentary, but I think in Turbo and In Space this has made some episodes overly short, and feel like a lot of details get skipped over sometimes. I feel like maybe if you could find a middle ground that would be great. I think the important episodes like premieres, finales, sixth ranger introductions, deaths, team ups, villain changeups and other noteworthy episodes could use the old format.

Yeah I think so as well, as far as the improvement goes. I, at the very least, try to give the more plot important episodes more breathing room in my summaries of them, and will definitely be doing so as we get further into In Space- stick around for Adam's return for a dose of the old days, but I do agree some episodes tend to run shorter than they should.

Mind you some episodes deserve to be that short. loving TJ baseball episode.

Wade has been trying to get us into a good 12ish minute span, so hopefully we'll hit that sweet spot soon.

Also unrelated to anything, but my God do I love Lord Zedd.

Lord Zedd might be the best toku villain. He's certainly the most proactive. All of his schemes were geniusly convoluted and all of them involved either splitting up the Rangers, taking their powers, making Evil Rangers, or Time Travel In Some Form Or Fashion. Or all of the above. Only some times would a monster actually FACTOR in the plan.

He was great.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'd prefer closer to fifteen or twenty usually, honestly.

One thing that hardly gets a mention anymore are whatever is in the credit bloopers.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

greatn posted:

I'd prefer closer to fifteen or twenty usually, honestly.

One thing that hardly gets a mention anymore are whatever is in the credit bloopers.

I've been trying to convince Wade to let us run a little longer. I mean, some of the bullshit filler episodes don't warrant much discussion, but every so often we get a really solid one like Always a Chance and record for a solid 45 minutes. No idea what's gonna happen to that one in editing.

As for credits bloopers...there really haven't been any good ones lately. Its just a line flub or two. And not even the hilarious double entendre type gaffes, just a guy derping a line a couple times.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think there's a good one coming up where TJ calls Ecliptor Darkliptor and then asks wait what's his name this episode? I have no idea how I remember that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

greatn posted:

I think there's a good one coming up where TJ calls Ecliptor Darkliptor and then asks wait what's his name this episode? I have no idea how I remember that.

I do remember that one. Yeah, that's the only funny one in recent memory.

Speaking of recent; watching Legendary Battle now, and I'll give them some credit, the handful of ranger cameos at the front are pretty cool. This is what the whole season needed to be. Just like Gokaiger was.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Every year Japan sends Saban a box full of parts to their awesome show. Attached are a set of somewhat vague instructions that could be interpreted in a multitude of way to use the parts in the box to make something pretty good.

Every year Saban fucks it up somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Burkion posted:

Lord Zedd might be the best toku villain.

Are you saying in any series, Japanese or American? Because Enter was a drat good villain.