Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

It just did it to me too on another thread! NEW FORUMS EXPERIENCE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

So how about some content, we've only got 27 hours to figure out which David Bowie is Jareth and who his goblin minion is before they take out Ziggy Stardust.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Right-o. Unfortunately, I'm realizing I don't know any of the meta (or have a stupid D1 grudgevote to throw out), so I'm a little at loose ends...

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah, only thing I have to go on is flavor, and depending on the moderator that can give away power roles so pushing for that can be seen as pretty scummy. Then again, having nothing to work with at all is even worse for town than getting their power roles nightkilled, so it'd probably be best to share flavor information without being explicit. I'll go first, my flavor is a part of David Bowie's personal life that I wasn't even aware of but I also thought until a year ago that the line in Ziggy Stardust was "rubber messiah" instead of "leper messiah," so I'm not exactly up to speed on the guy. It's not one of his characters or anything, so it'd be helpful if someone chimed in to say "I'm Ziggy Stardust" or at least "I'm one of his famous characters" so we know if those are a thing in this game. I know that's not much to work with, but the more we learn about everybody's flavors the more we know what's safe to share.

For what it's worth, this is only my second game of mafia and I was lynched day 1 in my first, so I'm still not really up on the meta or anything. :v:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

My name is David. This is a true fact.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

Abyssal Squid posted:

Yeah, only thing I have to go on is flavor, and depending on the moderator that can give away power roles so pushing for that can be seen as pretty scummy. Then again, having nothing to work with at all is even worse for town than getting their power roles nightkilled, so it'd probably be best to share flavor information without being explicit. I'll go first, my flavor is a part of David Bowie's personal life that I wasn't even aware of but I also thought until a year ago that the line in Ziggy Stardust was "rubber messiah" instead of "leper messiah," so I'm not exactly up to speed on the guy. It's not one of his characters or anything, so it'd be helpful if someone chimed in to say "I'm Ziggy Stardust" or at least "I'm one of his famous characters" so we know if those are a thing in this game. I know that's not much to work with, but the more we learn about everybody's flavors the more we know what's safe to share.

For what it's worth, this is only my second game of mafia and I was lynched day 1 in my first, so I'm still not really up on the meta or anything. :v:
This is an open setup, and flavor shouldn't make roles guessable-- so there's really no reason to share, or not share, aside from fun :sparkles:

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
I'm going to vote for ##vote mr.capps

Because
(a) no one has voted yet and imo the sooner you vote with intention the sooner you get ~usable content~
(b) the last game I was in with capps he posted nonsense and was scum and I have no reason to believe he will post not-nonsense this game

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
i.e., while I don't have any read on capps now, I don't except to get a better one, so fmpov it's a decent blind vote.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

yuming posted:

This is an open setup, and flavor shouldn't make roles guessable-- so there's really no reason to share, or not share, aside from fun :sparkles:

Good point, also there's a 1/4 chance that there's no town roles anyway. I just figure it gives people something game-related to talk about and generate content with. So in that spirit, I'm David the Loving Father of a son who definitely isn't a piece of poo poo. And a daughter too I guess.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

That looks like a reasonable case for a first vote but with only 5 votes to hammer I don't want to hop on immediately. I'll lay down a vote later tonight, but first I gotta make dinner.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

Abyssal Squid posted:

That looks like a reasonable case for a first vote but with only 5 votes to hammer I don't want to hop on immediately. I'll lay down a vote later tonight, but first I gotta make dinner.
You sound like me, always reading games after dinner. :sun:

We have a day until hammer, so some tentative votes will get things rolling and hopefully enough people will post to make an informed final vote!

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Watch that man! Oh honey, watch that man
He talks like a jerk but he could eat you with a fork and
spoon
Watch that man! Oh honey, watch that man

##vote Capps

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

mr.capps (2): yuming, EXAKT Science

Not Voting (7): Abyssal Squid, Allen Wren, Antivehicular, BrainParasite, Chic Trombone, mr.capps, Tremendous Taste

With 9 alive, it's 5 votes to lynch. The current deadline is November 24th, 2014 at 7 p.m. EST -- that's in about 1 day.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

I think yuming is the Japanese collaborator. Look, it's simple. With two collaborators, it makes no sense to execute without information. You're more likely to hit honest soldiers. Wild accusations are suspicious and bad for morale.

Vote yuming

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

If you were trying to vote you have to do it in in bold, with two hashes, like this:

##vote BrainParasite

Also that's a semi-real vote. I'll switch to a lurker later tomorrow if there are any, and to capps if he's posting nonsense and there are no lurkers, but I have no idea wtf that post was.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
What yuming met is that I post a lot of nounsense, I really enjoy nouns and posting them.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Verbs too, but nouns are really my thing.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Are you literally skiing down a mountain of cocaine, David Capps?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i loving wish i was the thin white duke

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

yuming! I'm working in retail to supplement tutoring rn and I'm really bad at it :x

also i don't like ex's vote on capps

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Abyssal Squid posted:

Good point, also there's a 1/4 chance that there's no town roles anyway.

Wait, what?

BrainParasite posted:

I think yuming is the Japanese collaborator. Look, it's simple. With two collaborators, it makes no sense to execute without information. You're more likely to hit honest soldiers. Wild accusations are suspicious and bad for morale.

Vote yuming

what else are we supposed to do D1?? with nothing to go on shooting blind is the only way to play

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Epsilon Plus posted:

This is a game of Mafia with a F11 setup (http://mafiawiki.notesmash.org/wiki/F11). Each player is a part of David Bowie's personality, vying for control of his addled brain. The fate of one of the greatest rock stars is in your hands!

quote:

F11 is an open setup for 9 players. There are four possible variations, and the mod RNGs it once signups are closed. The four variations are:
1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Doctor, 5 Vanilla Townies.
1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies.
2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies.
2 Mafia Goons, 1 Doctor, 6 Townies.

As with C9, each variant has an equal probability of occurring.

One of the setups is 7 vanilla town.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
vanilla is a town role

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
is cabaret david bowie in here?

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

mr.capps posted:

vanilla is a town role

what capps said

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Oh whoops, I mean town POWER roles. :v: An all-scum game would probably be interesting but yeah.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Okay taking another look, BrainParasite has all of three posts, including signup and confirmation. I'm comfortable keeping my vote on him unless it means the day ends in a no-lynch. Wish there was more to work with :/

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
The voice of Ur-Bowie rings in your thoughts:

The day is set to end while I'm at work today. Please do not post after 7PM Eastern Standard Time, as this is when night falls.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

##vote Brain Parasite

I'm probably not going to be here for night, so I'm okay parking a vote here for now. Silent Bowies are problem Bowies!

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

##vote yuming

Look mates, voting day one with no information is a bad play.

You have a 3/4 chance of hitting a friendly. So I'm suspicious of anyone willing to take that chance.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

BrainParasite posted:

##vote yuming

Look mates, voting day one with no information is a bad play.

You have a 3/4 chance of hitting a friendly. So I'm suspicious of anyone willing to take that chance.

You prefer a no-lynch?

##vote BrainParasite

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Eesh, it's quiet in here. At about an hour to deadline, too. In the interests of avoiding a no-lynch, ##vote BrainParasite, since he's a better candidate than capps or yuming probably

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
I am gonna love you till the end
I will love you till I reach the end
I will love you till I die
I will see you in the sky
Tonight

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

We're two short (Antivehicular's vote isn't being counted because he put in a space), yuming and EXAKT switch your votes or somebody else vote for BrainParasite. I mean I'd vote for capps but effectively pushing for a no-lynch like BP did is really scummy, we can vote for capps tomorrow if nobody else really sticks out.

yuming, Allen Wren, and Chic Trombone all come off pretty strongly town, BrainParasite strongly scum, and EXAKT Science I'm getting a weak scum vibe (the bandwagon vote for capps was innocuous, but posting without switching to a better lynch candidate as the deadline approaches is suspicious). No read on capps, Taste, or Antivehicular but I'm not expecting a read on capps.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Just laying that all out there in case I get nightkilled, I have to go and won't be back before the deadline.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
##vote BrainParasite

SURE WHY NOT

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Allen Wren posted:

You prefer a no-lynch?

No info lynchings only help the bad guys.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

BrainParasite posted:

Literally, what the gently caress are we supposed to do on day one? Not lynch? There is no info.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

BrainParasite posted:

Now your smile is wearing (spreading?) thin
Seems you're trying not to lose

##vote BrainParasite

:redhammer:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
:redhammer: This game will be better without BrainParasite!

• Locked thread