Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Soricidus posted:

we must secure the existence of our platform and a future for unix sysadmins
because the philosophy of the unix operating system must not perish from the earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
agreed

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
UGH UGH CANT USE SYSTEMD BECAUSE OF ITS HUGE ATTACK SURFACE *sources a dozen shell scripts and runs 1000 utilities programs as root*

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Malcolm XML posted:

sysadmins are vestigial, much like "operators" and other such useless professions

they are basically there to a) absorb useless loving arcana b) get in ur way

death to sysadmins

someone will still be there to absorb useless arcana and get in your way

but there will be a lot less of them, and they'll be expected to be able to work on configuration management and automated deployment and poo poo. code or be relegated to helldesk

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
"microkernels can never work, they're unrealistic"

"why is there so much poo poo in PID1???? it should be eight billion different processes, all of which can be replaced by the user"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

what's docker useful for anyway

docker is a daemon that configures linux containers really really easily and provides a REST API so other applications can do it too

linux containers are sort of like a VM except they are a single process. starting one takes about 1 second because there is no virtual hardware and no boot process... you just start the single linux process you wanted

docker is hella useful for

• jenkins slaves
  • testing poo poo on your desktop with test kitchen
  • carving up cloud resources with mesos

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

"microkernels can never work, they're unrealistic"

"why is there so much poo poo in PID1???? it should be eight billion different processes, all of which can be replaced by the user"

init runs once at boot

not thousands of times per second

pram
Jun 10, 2001
docker isnt lxc anymore bitch

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

docker isnt lxc anymore bitch

what is it now

pram
Jun 10, 2001
https://github.com/docker/libcontainer

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

great a library written in a language that doesn't support dynamic libraries. that's definitely a useful abstraction layer to me.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
docker is written in go you moron

pram
Jun 10, 2001
great, a library written in *drools at mouth* *is norotious bsd*

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

tbf go libraries can't really be used by other languages unless they changed a bunch in the runtime

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its an api

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

great a library written in a language that doesn't support dynamic libraries. that's definitely a useful abstraction layer to me.

Really, you don't need a lot to implement containers. It's a combination of cgroupfs and CLONE_NEWPID.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
like libvirt

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

like libvirt

i can call into libvirt from ruby or python because it's written in a useful language that interoperates with others

exposing an API layer written in go is pointless, it offers me nothing over being a REST client to the docker daemon

pram
Jun 10, 2001
dude why the gently caress would you think you need to call libcontainer with python. its a library intended for docker. your last statement is correct, but it is not some profound observation

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

did u make those as a funny or did you steal them

i ask because at least one of the systemd hater flamewarriors claims systemd is part of a misandrist sjw conspiracy. seems to be serious about it, apparently debian purged some misogyny / misogynists a few years ago and it broke his poor little brain. he despairs because now the liberal tyrants are destroying the last bastion of freedom, init

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Suspicious Dish posted:

Lennart is the only one with the balls to actually do innovative and really cool things despite the poo poo he knows he'll get. There's so many things I'd love to do to unbreak basic poo poo but I can't because I know there will be boycotts.

doooooo iiiiiiiiiit

treat the boycotts as marketing

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

BobHoward posted:

i ask because at least one of the systemd hater flamewarriors claims systemd is part of a misandrist sjw conspiracy. seems to be serious about it, apparently debian purged some misogyny / misogynists a few years ago and it broke his poor little brain. he despairs because now the liberal tyrants are destroying the last bastion of freedom, init

lol, was that the libupskirt thing or something else

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

BobHoward posted:

I stole them from Matthew Garret's Twitter.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
How does someone end up valuing present ~job security~ over, you know, becoming the sort of person whose skills would be valued elsewhere? I just can't put myself in this mindset. The last thing I want is to be the guy everyone yells at to do stuff because I've intentionally made myself the obstacle in their way

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

config management is making sysadmin into a burger flipper type job. as an industry, we are telling it people: code or perish

good, it is a burger flipper job.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Soricidus posted:

lol, was that the libupskirt thing or something else

that's a new one on me

... do i really want to type that into google

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Gazpacho posted:

How does someone end up valuing present ~job security~ over, you know, becoming the sort of person whose skills would be valued elsewhere? I just can't put myself in this mindset.
imagine yourself at 50. most companies will be able to find a sucker half your age who will accept less pay for longer hours. very few will believe you when you tell them you're still good at learning new things. suddenly the idea that you might be able to keep money coming in simply by knowing arcane things about old systems might begin to have a certain appeal I guess?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its not job security, i dont think. they essentially become authorities by being a lovely gatekeeper. you have to go through them to get something changed and they probably get off on having that kind of power (no matter how worthless or petty it is)

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

pram posted:

its not job security, i dont think. they essentially become authorities by being a lovely gatekeeper. you have to go through them to get something changed and they probably get off on having that kind of power (no matter how worthless or petty it is)

Nah, I know a guy that still has a job at 59 doing that. I think he prays for the cold icy hands of death more than power to trip on.

You guys should get the max match in your 401k then make the max contrib to an IRA. Either that or start eating at mcdonalds twice a day when your 30. The latter is my "retirement" plan.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

god drat infinality owns

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

god drat infinality owns

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

god drat infinality owns

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Jesus Christ I am so glad that I will never have to deal with any of this horrible cj init poo poo

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

god drat infinality owns

i just tried it. the kerning is bad and it rendered yospos in times new roman??

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

wat teh fucks is in ifnianlity

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

my stepdads beer posted:

i just tried it. the kerning is bad and it rendered yospos in times new roman??

I think you're doing it wrong? :confused:

Captain Foo posted:

wat teh fucks is in ifnianlity

a patched version of some system libraries that make linux fonts not look like complete garbage

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
*expends effort to make the fonts in yospos look better*

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Mr Dog posted:

hosed up color though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Mr Dog posted:

a patched version of some system libraries that make linux fonts not look like complete garbage

looks almost as nice as os x