Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wow, never had a problem with the Lamb but it just killed me as the Lost(when I had 3 lives left and Holy Mantle too). That teleport it does in the 2nd phase is a bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Anatharon posted:

Also what happens if you pick up Brimstone as Azazel?

Azazel's short range version is replaced with the real Brimstone, it's a straight upgrade with no downside.

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013

Poizen Jam posted:

You know, I could live with The Lost runs; the stupid deaths, the brimstone spiders, seeing the haunt on floor 1... I could deal with all of it if I didn't end up holding R for 10+ minutes between attempts trying to get a viable start.

This is exactly how I feel. I have fun on those few runs that are manageable, but this resetting is killing my spirit. It just makes me wish that the adjacent item room were guaranteed, or that first floor items were more likely to be one of the Good Ones, or something. Anything. Please.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Repeatedly restarting just trying to get a good first item sounds like a pretty lame way to play this game

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Have you tried playing The Lost?

Seriously there's like 0 room for a sub optimal game if you're aiming to get his unlocks.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The Duggler posted:

Repeatedly restarting just trying to get a good first item sounds like a pretty lame way to play this game

This. Let the RNG take you places...

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Anatharon posted:

Is there a way to cheat to unlock characters/items, though? I'd rather not have to re-beat the whole game to get Judas.

Dude if you're not going to be beating the game a hundred times this might not be the game for you

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Johnny Truant posted:

This. Let the RNG take you places...

With the lost the only place the rng will take you is six feet under

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Yeah, the lost is a whole different ballgame. Many run salvaging strats just don't work.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.

I finally get to post my own giant tears story, Isaac's Tears, Azazel, Chocolate Milk gets you infinitely charging that lasts between rooms until you let go of the brimstone shot spread of 8 shots that recharges instantly after you put the item down, oneshot everything down to The Lamb after I finished the combo in the boss rush room with Isaac's tears.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I kinda want to say the countless lovely Lost Runs and getting Bloat sniped twice in the boss rush room was worth it, because I'm currently on a run with Gnawed Leaf + Mom's Knife and got to just sit there while Bloat killed itself on me. (Also The Cage will just keep charging into you nonstop while you're frozen, I wish I could record the Depths 1 fight with him)

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

The Duggler posted:

This is true with two exceptions:
- Resetting to get Isaac items that let him get the Meat Boy/Bandage Girl ones
- The Lost

I don't think anyone in this thread's going to argue against that, because the requirements for them are several degrees more bullshit than spamming reset

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

So it seems Soul Converter + Broken Remote = unlimited teleport on demand. I tried forcing myself to I Am Error rooms but to no avail, is that possible? Also couldn't go to Mega Satan, I guess his room is just inactive until you activate the door :(

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Volt Catfish posted:

Dude if you're not going to be beating the game a hundred times this might not be the game for you

Yeah, uh, just so you know, Anatharon, the regular progression of BoI:R requires you to beat Satan a bare minimum of sixteen times under various different conditions on your way to unlocking various assorted things. That's the number of times you'll have to beat Satan if you can play several entire sessions without ever making a single mistake while facing the hardest set of challenges in the game (they are much harder than Satan). If not, it is possible for you to still unlock everything but you will probably have to beat him rather more frequently than that.

You might want to just download someone else's 100% save file (if that's a thing) or put the game down until a cheat engine comes out or something.

Iny fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Nov 24, 2014

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I was having an amazing Lost run where I got 3 Guppy items in the first Devil room(though sadly no Dead cat or Guppy's collar) and got Poly in the next treasure room. Then I ran over a mushroom with Samson's chains and it exploded into poison and killed me.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I had five hearts in the boss rush and then Death brought me to one just by himself. Then one of the Dark Ones killed me with Brimstone I didn't even see. :smith:

The times before that I died from walking into Red Poop. gently caress the guy who does that.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Guppy in general seems really overpowered. I'd say that getting Guppy generally guarantees me a win in whatever game I'm playing, as long as I have a decent rate of fire, just due to the fly spawning. Going into a room with 30 or 40 flies pretty much instagibs bosses. The ones that survive pretty quickly die to the onslaught of fresh ones. Even better if you have high damage or BFF.

I just had an Azrael Guppy run and each phase of Mega Satan died immediately save the last which took about 3 or 4 seconds. I think I was just out of flies at that point.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Justin_Brett posted:

The times before that I died from walking into Red Poop. gently caress the guy who does that.

Excuse me the Carrion Queen is a woman

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Finally got my first totally broken combo. Ipecac + Technology + Homing tears and a bunch of damage ups. Seems like technology inherits the damage from Ipecac so I would just stand at the entrance of each room and let my homing laser of death kill everything in a second.

I cleared the challenge room without moving.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 24, 2014

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013
Something that's just now getting really grating about the Lost is how half the game's items don't even do anything for him. Anything that has to do with health, souls, evil, taking damage, flight. Every once in a while I'll get a Dark Bum and fondly remember simpler times.

omeg posted:

So it seems Soul Converter + Broken Remote = unlimited teleport on demand. I tried forcing myself to I Am Error rooms but to no avail, is that possible? Also couldn't go to Mega Satan, I guess his room is just inactive until you activate the door :(

Yeah, I don't think that's possible. AFAIK the only ways of getting to I Am Error is by telepills and the Undefined item. Hadn't tried getting to Mega Satan though.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

AnonSpore posted:

Excuse me the Carrion Queen is a woman

people are really adamant about calling things like living piles of feces 'he' so i'm really not that surprised

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Beeme posted:

Something that's just now getting really grating about the Lost is how half the game's items don't even do anything for him. Anything that has to do with health, souls, evil, taking damage, flight. Every once in a while I'll get a Dark Bum and fondly remember simpler times.

Yeah, I don't think that's possible. AFAIK the only ways of getting to I Am Error is by telepills and the Undefined item. Hadn't tried getting to Mega Satan though.

Is it only telepills, or do other sources of teleportation like the remote or cursed eye work too?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The remote can, dunno about cursed eye but I assume all teleport items with no specific destination probably work the same.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm pretty sure that all random teleportation has the chance of it no matter what, yes.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I have achieved infinite teleportation a few times and I have never managed to get to the error room before getting bored of bouncing around every other room hundreds of times.

E: I mean with the broken remote anyway

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

gently caress yeah, Dead Boy. I don't even care that I had near-literally the most broken items possible, that is probably the best achievement I'm ever going to get legitimately.

Edit: Which says a lot about my meager skill level, but whatever, I'm too stoked to care.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hey. HEY. HEY!

If you have Ludovico, don't pick up Robobaby 2.0.
No one is clever enough to beat a boss rush that way.
:negative::negative::negative:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Beeme posted:

During a run earlier I got a Holy Grail (which was one of four items I still needed for Platinum God I had left) on a Lost run in an Angel Room on Caves 2 after passing up a Razor Blade in Basement 2. Mixed feelings there.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
So what is it that unlocks Samson? It says beat two floors in a row or something like that, but I had Basement Boy since November 2nd and I got Mama's Boy 3 days ago, but Samson unlocked only yesterday when again I got no damage in the two Basement floors. Is this a known bug ?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Gah, nearly got Dead Boy, but Leo stopped me from 3HKOing ??? with Brimstone + Polyphemus + Triple Shot and whilst I was charging up my shot after the invincibility wore off, the Hourglass wore off and he teleported right on top of me.

:argh:

AbstractNapper posted:

So what is it that unlocks Samson? It says beat two floors in a row or something like that, but I had Basement Boy since November 2nd and I got Mama's Boy 3 days ago, but Samson unlocked only yesterday when again I got no damage in the two Basement floors. Is this a known bug ?

ANY DAMAGE, which includes Curse Rooms and Devil Deals. Just get through two floors with Azazel and have the same or more hearts then you did starting and you'll get him easy. Yes you just got a Devil Room, ignore it, drop down!

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

I beat Boss Rush with not that fancy a set-up. Just real good fire-rate, good damage, and good range. Had halo of flies and Infamy mask for defense. I had the gnawed leaf but nothing to combo with it. I tried to do a victory lap of The Chest, but I couldn't get past Isaac, not that it mattered.

It's over. I can finally go back to playing the regular rear end game.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Someone please explain how the hell to beat cat got your tongue. Or how the hairball works in general. I can't quite figure out how it's momentum works.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Volt Catfish posted:

I've been in both secret rooms and the super secret rooms over a 100 times total and seen no items in either. ever.

I think my copy might be bugged. It's always coins/sin heart, respectfully. Every time.

No, you're not bugged. Just the chances of getting an item from a secret room are incredibly slim. The super secret doesn't really ever have items, might have chests which contain items, but items directly from the secret room are absurdly rare in Rebirth, getting simply coins is really, really common.

Gotten Pyro from a secret room twice, but I think that's about it. I think I've gotten something else from it but it was pretty crap, might've been Mr. Mega or some other bomb upgrade thing.

GeneX posted:

Someone please explain how the hell to beat cat got your tongue. Or how the hairball works in general. I can't quite figure out how it's momentum works.

Rotate yourself in a circle and swing that poo poo like a wrecking ball. The hairball also gets bigger and stronger the more stuff you whacked on the floor.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So the hard mode unlocks are only for killing Satan?

I just did an Azazel hard mode run where the game basically told me "you win" on the second room where I picked up proptosis, unfortunatly I went polaroid route and didn't get any unlocks.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Mom's Heart is where the Hard unlocks are for each character.

The Lost, meanwhile... :laugh:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

So the hard mode unlocks are only for killing Satan?

No, the only Hard Mode unlocks are for killing Mom's Heart per character. Otherwise, everything else only has a normal mode unlock again on a per-character basis. If you've already done the Cathedral/Chest as Azazel then you're not getting any more unlocks for it.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
I have a bit of a dilemma here. First floor curse of the maze. First item room is Fire Mind, second item room is Dr Fetus. Do I pick up Dr. Fetus?

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Pink champions are the loving bane of my existence as the lost, I've died to no less than 5 pink spider sacs on the basement because they spawn in a way where there's a one space gap you need to work with to shoot at them. Probably the best run I got was with ???'s friend from the first item room, which led into Abbadon and some other really good tear upgrades, lost that to one of the charging poop enemies in a 2x2 room, it charged at me from off the top of the screen.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Iny posted:

You might want to just download someone else's 100% save file (if that's a thing) or put the game down until a cheat engine comes out or something.

Yeah, I was wondering if there was anything available yet or if it was still too new.

I played the original pretty thoroughly and even cleared it without too many failed attempts but it's just not something I'd care to have to do again to see the new stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

AndroidHub posted:

Pink champions are the loving bane of my existence as the lost, I've died to no less than 5 pink spider sacs on the basement because they spawn in a way where there's a one space gap you need to work with to shoot at them. Probably the best run I got was with ???'s friend from the first item room, which led into Abbadon and some other really good tear upgrades, lost that to one of the charging poop enemies in a 2x2 room, it charged at me from off the top of the screen.

I haven't had a successful ???'s Only Friend run yet with The Lost, but the item hasn't been the problem with any of the runs. Stuff like a super troll bomb spawning on top of me when I have dinky tears or one of the rooms with two of the spread three-shot spiders on both sides have gotten me the 2-3 times I've rolled with it.

I just need one more good one to be done with that chumpo clearing Satan/Dark Room on hard (Although I haven't done the boss rush on hard, although idk if you need that to get Godhead) after getting Death's Scythes + Chocolate Milk + Sacred Heart + Guppy + Big Spiders and Flies.