Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Heresiarch posted:

i am very glad to be no longer involved in anything wordpress

it's probably one of the better-run php projects but that isn't saying much

idk mediawiki seems much better engineered (also not saying much)

there just isn't any other good CMS out there that I can point any old person to and say "click here and type and click publish and you'll get poo poo online" other than Wordpress, but it is indeed unarguably poo poo. I don't think tbc will defend Wordpress, it's that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
buttcoin's back up, lmao at the new theme

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Dr. Honked posted:

didn't you read the memo? websites need to be RESPONSIVE now.

i've successfully convinced my boss to push back against clients whi want their poo poo to be "responsive" without really thinking through what that means.

what was it in the 90s, liquid? i wonder what the next word will be

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Heresiarch posted:

i promised myself that the next time i need to make a bloglike thing for anybody i'm going to code it from scratch myself, mainly because this will keep me from volunteering to make any bloglike things for anybody

i did this for a few people with flask a few months ago. it owns and it's super simple to slap together simple web services/blogs with it

the real web3.0 is python scripts generating pages in a sandbox where anyone actually managing to exploit themselves into a shell is just gonna see a bunch of read-only markdown files that are overwritten every 20 minutes anyways :toot:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sham bam bamina! posted:

buttcoin's back up, lmao at the new theme

it's just a default while i repair everything

jeez you guys just wanna :f5: and posts post post huh

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

FCKGW posted:

code:
<?php include('images/social.png'); ?>

that's why buttcoin is offline. don't download pirated wordpress themes i guess

(it was for a different site that never launched several months ago but i guess just started setting up blackhat seo links a couple days ago)

lol nice an idiot Web hoster to boot

i pirated this php plug-in what's the worst that could happen? :downs:

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

FCKGW posted:

code:
<?php include('images/social.png'); ?>
that's why buttcoin is offline. don't download pirated wordpress themes i guess

(it was for a different site that never launched several months ago but i guess just started setting up blackhat seo links a couple days ago)

the "you dumb rear end" smiley doesn't work in yospos so just assume i used it here please

bucketmouse posted:

i did this for a few people with flask a few months ago. it owns and it's super simple to slap together simple web services/blogs with it

the real web3.0 is python scripts generating pages in a sandbox where anyone actually managing to exploit themselves into a shell is just gonna see a bunch of read-only markdown files that are overwritten every 20 minutes anyways :toot:

this is essentially what i'm going to do if i ever really have to, some kind of python thing where i'm going to use as much of other people's work as possible and make the site as static as it possibly can be

when i made the bitcoin faq thing and linked the markdown version from it, i had a few people ask what i was using to auto-generate the page, and they seemed genuinely confused when i said that no, i was just running the markdown through an html generator and putting up a static page

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Heresiarch posted:

when i made the bitcoin faq thing and linked the markdown version from it, i had a few people ask what i was using to auto-generate the page, and they seemed genuinely confused when i said that no, i was just running the markdown through an html generator and putting up a static page

i'm prolly going to start a blog and have been seriously considering just writing out html/css in notepad++ because that is probably the most efficient/secure way to approach it in tyool 22014

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

duTrieux. posted:

i'm prolly going to start a blog and have been seriously considering just writing out html/css in notepad++ because that is probably the most efficient/secure way to approach it in tyool 22014

since there's absolutely no reason to allow blog comments in this day and age this sounds like a perfectly solid idea

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

it's either that or wordpress stripped of everything possibl

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

aren't there static site generators for this sort of thing? you give it a bunch of markdown files and it spits out a bunch of html files

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

somebody a while back asked me to make them a thing where they could just put markdown files in a dropbox folder and the site would automatically post them as blog entries, i had a prototype going before they decided they wanted something else entirely, but it still seems like an interesting idea

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

vOv posted:

aren't there static site generators for this sort of thing? you give it a bunch of markdown files and it spits out a bunch of html files

i'm sure there are but you could write something yourself in python in about half an hour

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i will admit that markdown seems to me to be a bit pointless

Hilbert Spaceship
Mar 15, 2007

If I was dyslexic I'd even hate dog too.
markdown's pretty great

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
buttcoin is my favorite passtime

and by time i mean gas

and by pass gass i mean fart

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

duTrieux. posted:

i will admit that markdown seems to me to be a bit pointless

the whole idea is that it's easier to write and more human-readable than html, whether that's useful or not obviously depends on how you do things

i'm sure somebody other than gruber could have made a better implementation of the idea but it's well-supported now and works well enough

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
use a .plan file

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

All of my blog posts are standalone C++ Qt applications that you have to download and execute

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
for my blog i convert the html to morse code and send it out via smoke signals

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i use a complex series of heliographs to manually etch my posts into a rom

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Just write out your blog posts with pen and paper and mail them out to friends and family like a normal person, you fucks

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i prefer to silently scream into the fitful digital void, thank you very much

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

duTrieux. posted:

i've successfully convinced my boss to push back against clients whi want their poo poo to be "responsive" without really thinking through what that means.

what was it in the 90s, liquid? i wonder what the next word will be

no it was fuzzy logic

then again that might have been the late 80s, i forget

everything had "fuzzy logic" because that was more AI than ones and zeroes. even fuckin' VCRs touted their FUZZY LOGIC. more like fuzzy image output you pricks

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

also multimedia

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
did someone say blogcoin?

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
if i upload my blogposts to the blockchain, the fed will have to arrest anyone who mines butts

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Weatherman posted:

no it was fuzzy logic

then again that might have been the late 80s, i forget

everything had "fuzzy logic" because that was more AI than ones and zeroes. even fuckin' VCRs touted their FUZZY LOGIC. more like fuzzy image output you pricks

that brings back memories. i think it was the 90s btw

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

BobHoward posted:

that brings back memories. i think it was the 90s btw

it was both

bubble memory is your 80s term

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Alan Smithee posted:

quote:

[–]fluttershy17 4 points 17 hours ago

Down $4 million, approximately half of my net worth.

Presumably the other half is invested in My Little Pony plush toys which will never go down because they only have one dick hole and that's in the rear end.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
for ultimate security the next buttcoin site is only available via an html<->email bridge

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Heresiarch posted:

somebody a while back asked me to make them a thing where they could just put markdown files in a dropbox folder and the site would automatically post them as blog entries

this is basically one of the flask apps i wrote except it grabs a folder out of dropbox and builds menus out of the directory structure and the markdown files in them are the pages

Nintendo Kid posted:

use a .plan file

if you're not gonna do this at least make sure you have the right amount of asterisks around your ion storm rant so that it comes out both bold and underlined

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

duTrieux. posted:

what was it in the 90s, liquid?

"interactive"

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Crankit posted:

for ultimate security the next buttcoin site is only available via an html<->email bridge

Use a mailing list. PUSH MODEL.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Greyhawk posted:

"interactive"

"multimedia"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
best websites are from like 2004 because that was about the peak of the "gently caress javascript, everything has to be pure html + css" and on the other hand, some sites actually managed to look decent doing so.

now everything has to be a "single-page application" that is slow as hell and unindexable.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

an interactive multimedia cd-rom experience*

*online components require internet access

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Wheany posted:

best websites are from like 2004 because that was about the peak of the "gently caress javascript, everything has to be pure html + css" and on the other hand, some sites actually managed to look decent doing so.

now everything has to be a "single-page application" that is slow as hell and unindexable.

I can't be the only one tired of those sites that pretend they're slideshows where you scroll down to advance to the next slide

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Segmentation Fault posted:

I can't be the only one tired of [...] sites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Segmentation Fault posted:

I can't be the only one tired of those sites that pretend they're slideshows where you scroll down to advance to the next slide

everyone actually loves powerpoint, so yes you are.

• Locked thread