Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smg77
Apr 27, 2007

I'm glad you didn't have to stop being a TV IV mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Deadpool posted:

Please do not respond to anything posted by Toxxupation in this thread anymore. That's the new number one rule of the thread. It comes before all other rules.

Fuckin' aces.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

All anime is terrible. I've never watched it but the internet told me it is. Now, let us argue passionately about various children's cartoons that we, as adults, are watching and critiquing as high art. It's okay though, they're western.

Western cartoon fans used to be able to look down on anime fans for writing thousands of words about how thousand-year-old lesbian demons that looked like underaged girls were actually cool and good, but they lost that right around the time when they started writing thousands of words about how a thousand-year-old lesbian vampire that looked like an underage girl was not only cool and good but really, really deep and progressive.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

So Hannibal is a pretty great show you guys.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

MrAristocrates posted:

So Hannibal is a pretty great show you guys.

But would it be a good anime?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Vincent posted:

Well if you take all the fanart ...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This season has had more burnouts that any I can remember. Of the new shows I started watching, I've abandoned: Madam Secretary, Gotham, Scorpion, Forever, How to Get Away with Murder, Gracepoint, and Constantine.

The only one left standing is The Flash, and that's in large part because I watch it with my roommate.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I rather like Constantine.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Same. Each episode has gotten better than the last.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Josh Lyman posted:

This season has had more burnouts that any I can remember. Of the new shows I started watching, I've abandoned: Madam Secretary, Gotham, Scorpion, Forever, How to Get Away with Murder, Gracepoint, and Constantine.

The only one left standing is The Flash, and that's in large part because I watch it with my roommate.

Hah, our lists are exactly the same (though you probably have Madam Secretary and Gracepoint more of a chance than I did).

I actually stuck with Forever way longer than I meant to but can't really explain why. It was easy to watch and not completely terrible, I guess.

Vincent posted:

...I could actually see it working.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 22, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

lelandjs posted:

...I could actually see it working.

Given how slow and plodding it is, are we sure Hannibal isn't already an anime?

(just kidding, of course its not anime--it has women over 20 in it)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm sticking with How To Get Away With Murder just because the first season of Scandal wasn't anything special either. Hoping for improvement though, the first handful of episodes aren't anything to write home about really.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm still watching Gotham. I won't defend it as a good show, but I find it rather enjoyable for the exploits of future Commissioner Gordon & Oswald Cobblepot.

Scorpion is a terrible show that I still watch just because I have a crush on McPhee, and I keep thinking T-1000 might bring some respect to the show (he doesn't.)

Forever is one I watch because it's there and I work from home and it helps pass an hour as background noise while I'm on the clock.

Constantine, however, I genuinely like. I am an easy sell on angels and demons and supernatural mumbo jumbo.

Flash is alright. I'm more into it for the connection to Arrow than on the merits of the show itself, but like Forever, it helps pass an hour work monotony.

The rest of the shows never made it to my viewing schedule.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I've abandoned HTGAWM, Stalker, and Resurrection completely this year, and I fell off of Manhattan, Ray Donovan, and House of Lies toward the ends of their seasons.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think you're missing much.

In other news, Hannibal is awesome and rhythm games are for children and manchildren.

But I do really like Serial tho

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The newest season of Key & Peele is great, they conspicuously went out of their way to not re-use characters and sketches from earlier seasons and they ditched the Chapelle's Show-style mugging to an audience between sketches and it's a stronger show for it. And they're getting a lot better about ending sketches.

Also season 3 of The Eric Andre Show has started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC8KFQEPolk

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The newest season of Key & Peele is great, they conspicuously went out of their way to not re-use characters and sketches from earlier seasons

And yet they spent a big chunk of an episode re-using their worst character (Slap-rear end).

Don't get me wrong, this season is good, but I don't think it's that marked of an improvement. I mean it's more "solid" but the hits aren't making me laugh as much as the biggest hits from earlier seasons.

e: I do love the car-driving framing segments, I would watch a whole film of nothing but that.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Josh Lyman posted:

Why Forever and Constantine? I feel like those have been two of the better shows this season.

precision posted:

And yet they spent a big chunk of an episode re-using their worst character (Slap-rear end).

Don't get me wrong, this season is good, but I don't think it's that marked of an improvement. I mean it's more "solid" but the hits aren't making me laugh as much as the biggest hits from earlier seasons.

e: I do love the car-driving framing segments, I would watch a whole film of nothing but that.

That one Steampunk sketch from the first or second episode is one of the single funniest things I've seen this season.

I don't get Eric Andre though. That show seems like Space Ghost if it was live-action and wackier but also not funny at all.

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 23, 2014

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

raditts posted:

I don't get Eric Andre though. That show seems like Space Ghost if it was live-action and wackier but also not funny at all.

It's like Tim and Eric where the humor is in how aggressively unfunny it is. I guess some people find that funny. And by some people I mean stoners.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I don't smoke but I also find Eric Andre hilarious v:shobon:v

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I'm repulsed by Tim and Eric's comedy and I think The Eric Andre Show is incredible.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah we've shown it to maybe 10 friends in total, and all but 2 loved it. And one was down to a maasive cultural difference.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Exhibit A: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzHn8f9cFEw

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Exhibit B (watch through to the end):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaWa4ScfQXc

EDIT: I don't want to flood this page with YouTube embeds, so just click through for Exhibit C.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 23, 2014

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I assume having never seen Space Ghost helps a little but I adore The Eric Andre Show. Any time there's interplay between him and Hannibal (the perfect foil to his manic style) I laugh my rear end off.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fm-xSSARyo

The reactions to this kill me every time I watch it, especially that last guy :allears:

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the nod of approval at 0:30 where it looks like the girl is about to lick her lips and jump the counter is my favorite

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

That one Steampunk sketch from the first or second episode is one of the single funniest things I've seen this season.

Oh poo poo, I forgot about that sketch. Yeah that was loving amazing.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

Oh poo poo, I forgot about that sketch. Yeah that was loving amazing.

"I live in a clock now. I'm just an ill-rear end Lemony Snicket in this bitch. :whatup:"

I can't find a clip of it that isn't somebody recording their TV with a potato so here's the Family Matters sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5Zdp1RfoyI

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PostNouveau posted:

I don't know why Sepinwall is trying to make this sound absolutely insane. Networks sometimes pick up shows that other networks pass on. Like, 3rd Rock from the Sun was originally a failed ABC pilot.

This isn't saving a pilot though, this is taking a show that got ordered and was going to air.

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
I never realized how absolutely insane Nielsen ratings were. I recently received an offer to be part of the Nielsen TV ratings panels, and accepted - they included some free cash in the envelope! I'll be rich!! Fast forward a few weeks, and a bulky envelope arrives with $25 cash and two big bulky survey forms.

In 2014 they really expect me to fill out this "diary", with pen, of my TV watching habits. Its clunky and labor intensive, probably would take me a good 30-45 minutes just to fill out one and they segregate it by TV (one packet per TV in the house). They ask me to look up my TV stations by call sign and name, I have no idea anymore what channels are or what time stuff airs, its all on my DVR.

It really makes me wonder who the insane people are that actually fill this thing out, my wife and kids just laughed in my face when I asked them to fill it out for $15 :( Maybe if there was a website I could go to that I could do a few button clicks on shows I watch or even better a smartphone app that I just press every time I start/stop watching TV, but nope I guess filling out 40+ pages of paper is pretty modern too.

I really, really hope network executives make decisions off other data, because if its still based on Nielsen ratings well the system is massively hosed.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
You should've offered them the whole $25 rather than trying to profit off your family you jerk :mad:

spronk posted:

I really, really hope network executives make decisions off other data, because if its still based on Nielsen ratings well the system is massively hosed.

:suicide:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DivisionPost posted:

Exhibit B (watch through to the end):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaWa4ScfQXc

EDIT: I don't want to flood this page with YouTube embeds, so just click through for Exhibit C.

"Watch it to the end" is the new "I'm not racist but..."

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

spronk posted:

I never realized how absolutely insane Nielsen ratings were. I recently received an offer to be part of the Nielsen TV ratings panels, and accepted - they included some free cash in the envelope! I'll be rich!! Fast forward a few weeks, and a bulky envelope arrives with $25 cash and two big bulky survey forms.

In 2014 they really expect me to fill out this "diary", with pen, of my TV watching habits. Its clunky and labor intensive, probably would take me a good 30-45 minutes just to fill out one and they segregate it by TV (one packet per TV in the house). They ask me to look up my TV stations by call sign and name, I have no idea anymore what channels are or what time stuff airs, its all on my DVR.

It really makes me wonder who the insane people are that actually fill this thing out, my wife and kids just laughed in my face when I asked them to fill it out for $15 :( Maybe if there was a website I could go to that I could do a few button clicks on shows I watch or even better a smartphone app that I just press every time I start/stop watching TV, but nope I guess filling out 40+ pages of paper is pretty modern too.

I didn't even know they still did the diaries. I thought they were using creepy set-top boxes that could actually track which members of the family are currently sitting in front of the TV watching shows.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

smg77 posted:

I didn't even know they still did the diaries. I thought they were using creepy set-top boxes that could actually track which members of the family are currently sitting in front of the TV watching shows.

The diaries are for a one week sample. The set top boxes are permanent.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Western cartoon fans used to be able to look down on anime fans

nah

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Nov 24, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/11/23/nbc-not-picking-up-back-nine-episodes-of-constantine/330982/

Constantine is not getting a back nine though NBC says they have not ruled out renewing it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

bull3964 posted:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/11/23/nbc-not-picking-up-back-nine-episodes-of-constantine/330982/

Constantine is not getting a back nine though NBC says they have not ruled out renewing it.

Fuckin' NBC. Figures that they would cancel the one show I still watch on their lovely network.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

A show on the rear end end of Friday night not getting huge numbers, what a loving surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Constantine should be on the CW so it can get a million seasons just because of tumblr fangirls alone.

drat it, I really like that show. :sigh:

• Locked thread