Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Whatever it was Felghana got one too at about the same size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
Yeah, I just got one for every Ys game in my Steam library and the latest updates for them are from 2013. :argh:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

since trails updated like a week ago maybe it's something with all the games that use that engine?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I'm trying to play Ys Origin on steam but when I launch it it opens a window that says "Preparing to launch Ys Origin" and then closes after a few seconds. Then it opens again and repeats until I close it manually. Whats with this

edit: I can't launch Ys 1 or 2 either. I guess the updates broke my games!

Overbite fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 15, 2014

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Ys I & II just pulled updates too. Wonder what they do.

:iiam:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

YF-23 posted:

Ys Origin just downloaded a 108MB update on steam. Not seeing any news about it though, anyone know what's up with it?

Made Hugo fun to play? :smuggo:

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 15, 2014

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Volt Catfish posted:

Made Hugo fun to play? :smuggo:

"Oh no I have a shield that is the best ability in the entire game, this is so unfun!"

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

GrossMurpel posted:

"Oh no I have a shield that is the best ability in the entire game, this is so unfun!"

His projectile-based moveset is pretty boring in general; the shield just makes things worse.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

GrossMurpel posted:

Ok so I crunched the numbers and it turns out you haven't played as Toal so I'm just going to put you in this garbage bin and you can keep making your posts there.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

toddy. posted:

Ok so I crunched the numbers and it turns out you haven't played as Toal so I'm just going to put you in this garbage bin and you can keep making your posts there.

"No Toal is way better because his shield that blocks everything is temporary and made out of flames"

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Actually "Toal is way better because he can turn invulnerable every other second"

Bossfights with Toal are really annoying though so it evens out.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I don't know if this was already asked, but does anyone know who the American voice actor is for Elena of Ys: The Oath in Felghana?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

I don't know if this was already asked, but does anyone know who the American voice actor is for Elena of Ys: The Oath in Felghana?
Googling says Heather Hogan (Colette in Tales of Symphonia, Amy in Soul Calibur). Not sure if it is her, but it sounds about right?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

she sounded like colette from Tales of Symponia iirc, which would make her Heather Hogan

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
So I'm nearly at the end of FC right now and wow does this game have bad fight system. Or maybe I just suck at this idk. I'm fighting this blonde samurai guy with two robots and it's ridiculous. They're constantly barraging all my guys (took Zane and Olivier) with fuckoff atom bombs and the blonde guy is one-shotting both the main characters whenever he wants. It's like a war of attrition - I'm just healing constantly and Zane seems to be the only one able to do any damage to any of the enemies.

Even after playing this for like 40 hours I still have no idea how the game designates the movement order. Couldn't find anything on the topic in any of the guides either. Like sometimes my character can cast a spell right the gently caress now but other times they'll have to wait and get beaten by every other enemy. The story's great and I can't wait to see how it ends (will get SC as it's released) but it getting dragged down by the jRPG crap. Persona 4 had the same thing - they just put a huge boss with HP in thousands and you just have to wail on them for like an hour.

Oh yeah, and positioning is really important but you can either move where you want or attack. And you can't even choose from which side they'll attack in the latter case.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Nov 24, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

what level are you? if you're below 35 you're underleveled

otherwise not sure what to say, never had too much difficulty with him. If estelle and joshua aren't doing physical damage have them cast, and olivier is a caster so he should always only be doing that

if you're having lots of trouble make sure the retry offset is turned on, it'll make the battle easier if you retry after you lose.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You should also make sure to grab all of the awesome treasures in the last dungeon, as annoying as some of the fights are (I usually abused Joshua's S-Crafts).

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Joshua/Estelle are both lvl 33 I think, Zane's 35 and Oliver 34. I restarted the battle like four times already. The offset option is really cool and maybe it will make the fight winnable if I get to ten failed attempts.

Can't really cast anything because the robots have that interrupting attack and they're really fast.

Nate RFB posted:

You should also make sure to grab all of the awesome treasures in the last dungeon, as annoying as some of the fights are (I usually abused Joshua's S-Crafts).

Oh man, these fights take forever. And there's like ten chests on the last floor alone.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

Joshua/Estelle are both lvl 33 I think, Zane's 35 and Oliver 34. I restarted the battle like four times already. The offset option is really cool and maybe it will make the fight winnable if I get to ten failed attempts.

Can't really cast anything because the robots have that interrupting attack and they're really fast.

Oh man, these fights take forever. And there's like ten chests on the last floor alone.

One quirk of how the system determines battle order is that if you cast and get interrupted, since you never actually cast anything, your next turn isnt delayed nearly as much. So if you get interrupted, immediately start casting again and it tends to go through

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I never really had much of a casting problem after loading everyone up with Action 3's and Cast 2's, the latter of which you can get really early in the game.

Also regarding the treasures, something cheap that you can do (which I did) is to retreat immediately if you don't see a "!". Then just keep opening the chest and starting the battle until you see one that you can use on the first turn for Joshua's S-craft.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

By the way, might wanna use Kloe. She can debuff the enemy's attack. The dude who's one-shotting you, well, he was unable to damage my characters because of it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
For the final bosses I basically just gathered everyone in one place and had Olivier and Scherazard continuously cast Earth Wall and thus never get damaged at all :frogbon:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

For the final bosses I basically just gathered everyone in one place and had Olivier and Scherazard continuously cast Earth Wall and thus never get damaged at all :frogbon:

Oh yeah lol. Earth wall is broke, use that

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Nate RFB posted:

I found that out right at the final boss through sheer luck and desperation. I'm kind of glad because the rest of the game isn't really hard enough to use it but it's so easy to use I probably would have.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Yeah, the game is mostly easy if you don't do something really stupid but I'm pretty bad at boss fights. Thanks for the tips, will try to beat him later today.

Was the combat system changed for SC or any further games?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

Yeah, the game is mostly easy if you don't do something really stupid but I'm pretty bad at boss fights. Thanks for the tips, will try to beat him later today.

Was the combat system changed for SC or any further games?

There's some tweaks but the fundamentals are the same in SC, later stuff evolves further on the same base, I think

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly I really like the combat system. It's pretty simple but stealing/manipulating turn order is fun to mess around with and battles are over pretty quick.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

Honestly I really like the combat system. It's pretty simple but stealing/manipulating turn order is fun to mess around with and battles are over pretty quick.

You're talking sense endorph. That said, you start with way too few options so starting sc at level 35 is cool

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

SC adds (game mechanics, no story)Combo Crafts where two or more party members use CP (and their turn) to do an area physical attack. It also add some more turn bonuses, but other than that there aren't any big changes to the combat system.
e: and new spells/skills and a 6th Orbment slot I guess, but that doesn't really change the combat either

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Cake Attack posted:

There's some tweaks but the fundamentals are the same in SC, later stuff evolves further on the same base, I think

Doesn't Joshua have an s-craft that pushes back turn order on opponents? It has some limited aoe as its a line attack I think. I always use that one on tougher enemies.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Oh wow, so you actually start SC at the level you finished FC? Does the game recognize an old save?

One more thing, are the bonuses like crits and and 10x random or is there a way to manipulate those, too?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If you have a save file from FC, SC does detect that, yes. If you finish FC below or at 35, you start at 35. If you finish FC above or at 40, you start at 40. If you're anywhere in-between, you start at that level.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Cake Attack posted:

You're talking sense endorph. That said, you start with way too few options so starting sc at level 35 is cool

The battle system gets so much better when you can spam white gehenna I agree.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

SC Bracer posted:

The battle system gets so much better when you can spam white gehenna I agree.

look if they didn't want me spamming it they wouldn't make it so easy to set it up by chapter 2

i more meant starting with more than a single craft apiece tho

im looking forward to spamming Silver Thorn in SC. aoe confuse + damage, it'll own

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 24, 2014

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Cake Attack posted:

look if they didn't want me spamming it they wouldn't make it so easy to set it up by chapter 2

i more meant starting with more than a single craft apiece tho

im looking forward to spamming Silver Thorn in SC. aoe confuse + damage, it'll own

that sounds disgusting

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Speaking of Tits FC, apparently some fellow finished a music replacement mod. The previous one already fixed Sophisticated Fight which was the main reason to mod it in the first place, and this one unfortunately doesn't do anything about To Be Suggestive, but otherwise there are some nice new ones from the arrange albums or whatever. I like the new final dungeon music mix, though it's not like the original for that was bad.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

really you should replace sophisticated fight with sophisticated fight zanmai, if you must replace it at all

it even has cool cover art

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 25, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's the version that was used in the first music mod, yeah. It's not the default replacement in the new mod but it is available as option alongside the Zanmai version of Silver Will.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Some of those new tracks are really great. Others not so much. Silver Will Zanmai practically drowns out the original melody under tons of extra fancy stuff.

EDIT: After listening to it a bunch more, I changed my mind and decided Silver Will Zanmai is pretty good.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh yeah the Ys games are 50% off, buy them if you haven't already

• Locked thread