Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Potato and sweet potato are super common, but I don't know if they're new or regional because my hot pot history only goes back about 5 years and is mostly restricted to south China.

When my cousin's Japanese boyfriend's mom prepared it for us, our individual bowls just had a raw, beaten egg to dip the cooked items in. That was the most different I ever saw it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Pretty much, Happy Hat summed it up perfectly.

Sorry for being a raging jerk, Gravi. The burning in my nether regions is no reason to shoot fire at someone I (generally) like.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You guys

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
The only problem with vegan hot pot is I can't make this exact explanation about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l1mKpt_OTU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Please be nice you guys I hate when mommy and daddy fight

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Pissing firey blood will turn anyone into a raging rear end in a top hat. LADIES, ALWAYS PEE AFTER SEX. And dino, I guess? Male UTI's aren't common.

In other news, I accidentally fed a vegan non vegan fudge. I don't think I'll tell him.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
The thinly sliced meats are probably my least favorite of the things I like at hotpot. You put them in, you take them out, you go "I could have grilled this." Now, tofu skin, tripe, those little knots of seaweed, balls, pork belly, pork skin, mushrooms -- basically anything that absorbs the broth AND gets better after multiple minutes simmering in it? That's the goods stuff. My favorite part of hotpot is digging around for stuff I forgot and finding a totally transformed chunk of tripe or whatever.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Echeveria posted:

Pissing firey blood will turn anyone into a raging rear end in a top hat. LADIES, ALWAYS PEE AFTER SEX. And dino, I guess? Male UTI's aren't common.

Maybe he's into urethra beads and they were dirty?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

mich posted:

The only problem with vegan hot pot is I can't make this exact explanation about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l1mKpt_OTU

of course you have a lets eat clip at the ready :3:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Dudes should pee after giving anal to help avoid an UTI. Also, don't mix holes after if applicable!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Test Pattern posted:

The thinly sliced meats are probably my least favorite of the things I like at hotpot. You put them in, you take them out, you go "I could have grilled this." Now, tofu skin, tripe, those little knots of seaweed, balls, pork belly, pork skin, mushrooms -- basically anything that absorbs the broth AND gets better after multiple minutes simmering in it? That's the goods stuff. My favorite part of hotpot is digging around for stuff I forgot and finding a totally transformed chunk of tripe or whatever.

Part of the fun of hot pot/shabu shabu is how the broth evolves as you add things, too. Put the tendons, tripe, long cooking things in first and they trade flavors with the broth. Add some seafood and it changes again. Yes vegetables change it, too.

fart simpson posted:

does anyone actually think this would be bland with vegetables?

considering chongqing hot pot's base stock is a meat stock, yeah I think it would taste kind of hollow. Like a vegan chili would or a vegan pot au feu. Like I said, I'm sure in the context it tasted good, but as someone who chooses not to limit myself to veg only it just doesn't make me wet to think about.

edit: also I never said meat only idk why everyone is assuming I'm only talking about the thin slivers. The three things I mentioned: a fermented fish paste, fish meatballs, and tendons, are not the thin slivers of meat.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 24, 2014

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
New dinner thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683534

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Jesus Christ you spergs.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Jesus Christ you spergs.

really now, you fanned the flames on fb

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I didn't think hot pot was that hard to explain

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

oh i wasn't sure which spergy thing you were talkin' about

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The other thing is an rear end in a top hat thing

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

The other thing is an rear end in a top hat thing

You're assuming a lot about the UTI...

It still could be beads!

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Happy Hat for president of the world!

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
I'm disappointed in the lack of a call out thread after all this. Meat vs Vegan hot pot would have been interesting to watch.

Grav, if you're going to accidentally piss someone off, next time make it Tweek.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

contrapants posted:

I'm disappointed in the lack of a call out thread after all this. Meat vs Vegan hot pot would have been interesting to watch.

Grav, if you're going to accidentally piss someone off, next time make it Tweek.

I don't see why there should even be a call out, it was an innocuous statement that was taken the wrong way.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Nicol Bolas posted:

I would actually be really curious to hear how this comes out. I do almost exclusively super-long-rise leave-it-on-the-counter-overnight-that's-fine type dough, but I also have never made challah. The only enriched dough I'm familiar with is cinnamon roll dough and I've let that rise overnight, and it came out amazing.

Challah can't really be made as a no-knead recipe. You need the gluten to be able to braid it.

The first loaf I made was horrible. It tastes yeasty. I didn't make the sopa de ajo with it like I had planned because it would be a waste of good garlic. I'm still going to make it, but with different bread.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

GrAviTy84 posted:

I don't see why there should even be a call out, it was an innocuous statement that was taken the wrong way.

There really shouldn't have been, but the thread it really seemed like it was going that way for a bit.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Echeveria posted:

Pee after foreplay too, I guess? I fell asleep before things got anywhere one night, and the next day or so after, it was like spiky daggers with extra blades on were scraping up and down my urethra every time I had to pee. It doesn't help that I like to drink water, so having to repeat that ritual every half hour to an hour was even worse. That pain is horrible. And the bonus is that it would hurt even when I wasn't peeing. So like, constant pain punctuated with burning searing pain isn't a thing I'm looking to repeat. And the drat meds weren't doing it, and peeing a lot wasn't clearing it, and cranberry juice only gets you so far. And the great side effect bonus of it all is that it screws with your mental abilities too, so I managed to burn my forearm while reaching over a pot of rice.

And then, while trying to catch a falling pot with said forearm, the burn burst open. Fortunately the pot was empty, or I'd have had to throw out whatever it is I was eating.

Also, I've only gotten one call back from the resumes that I've sent out to jobs. And it wants to pay me $12 an hour. Part time. For 18 hours a week. And I haven't had a job since January. And my bank account is running on fumes. And Puppy isn't working, because school. Philly was the one bright spot in what's been a rather lovely month. Seriously, seeing the Charmmis and the Gourds really kept me from wanting to do something drastic, like packing my bags, and moving in with my mom in Arizona.

Seriously. Sorry, Gravi.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

contrapants posted:

There really shouldn't have been, but the thread it really seemed like it was going that way for a bit.

well I'd prob default to a lose anyway because I'm poor as poo poo these days because 2014 can go gently caress itself and callouts/ICSAs always end up way more expensive than I intend for them to be.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

GrAviTy84 posted:

well I'd prob default to a lose anyway because I'm poor as poo poo these days because 2014 can go gently caress itself and callouts/ICSAs always end up way more expensive than I intend for them to be.

I'll drink to that. (Water, that is.)

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
On a lighter note, our Thanksgiving was on Saturday. We had lasagna.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
I forgot to get a picture of the Burger King side dishes.

Of course, we ended the night with a dessert of cupcakes, pies, and shrimp.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Sriracha mayo is a letdown when chipotle mayo is what my heart really desires. Is it true that making my own with normal mayo is going to have a miserable shelf life?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

you could consider making smaller batches?

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

It's not!

I have no idea what you crazy cats with your asian broths and hotplates and dipping are going on about :confused:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

franco posted:

It's not!
Is that a hotdish? Because if so, I really REALLY need to re-think my fear of the stuff. That looks really good.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i think i need to see a mrs gunderson hotpot just in case that lovely lady happens to be reading this thread

franco
Jan 3, 2003
I'm teasing a bit - that's a Lancashire Hotpot from the UK (click the first image for a wiki explanation). A lovely, old-fashioned dish, but far from vegan (although no reason why it couldn't be adapted somehow) :)

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Everybody stop feeling lovely.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

contrapants posted:

Challah can't really be made as a no-knead recipe. You need the gluten to be able to braid it.

The first loaf I made was horrible. It tastes yeasty. I didn't make the sopa de ajo with it like I had planned because it would be a waste of good garlic. I'm still going to make it, but with different bread.

My no-knead recipes are very glutenful. (Gluteny?) I'm not 100% sure on the science here but I'm pretty sure the action of the dough rising creates the gluten for you. Sad about your loaf, though. Makes me think I probably would make a lot of crappy challah before successfully baking tasty challah.

Mrs. Gunderson
Nov 5, 2012

mediaphage posted:

i think i need to see a mrs gunderson hotpot just in case that lovely lady happens to be reading this thread

Well I don't know why you kids want a picture of my kettle but here you go.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Hahaha :kimchi:

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Nicol Bolas posted:

My no-knead recipes are very glutenful. (Gluteny?) I'm not 100% sure on the science here but I'm pretty sure the action of the dough rising creates the gluten for you. Sad about your loaf, though. Makes me think I probably would make a lot of crappy challah before successfully baking tasty challah.

Maybe I'm using the wrong word.

I mean that with a no-knead, the dough isn't tough enough to be cut into strands and twisted into a braid. Every time I've made one, it was soft, fluffy, and sticky. That's the goal, of course, but I've never been able to shape it into anything but a boule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

contrapants posted:

Maybe I'm using the wrong word.

I mean that with a no-knead, the dough isn't tough enough to be cut into strands and twisted into a braid. Every time I've made one, it was soft, fluffy, and sticky. That's the goal, of course, but I've never been able to shape it into anything but a boule.

I think you're referring to hydration.