Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

The Gunslinger posted:

Is this something fixable with a dremel? If so then get to it :)

I tried to remove the HDD bay, but it's secured by weird round screws that don't seem to come out. Since I'm really bad with such stuff (and wouldn't know where to put the HDD if I manage to remove it) I'm just gonna buy a new case. I've been looking at the Corsair 750D, is there a goon consensus on it? Also, I might just get a new PSU while I'm at it, a modular one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

joe football posted:

How much should a slow cpu effect benchmarking? I have a stock 2500k and zoltac 970, and I'm getting around 9k graphics score in 3d mark firestrike
The 2500K isn't at all slow. Why run at stock, though - it's one of the most significant & reliable overclocking CPUs ever.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I have an annoying problem overclocking my 7950, and I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this, or has a solution.

If I leave everything at stock, the behaviour is as follows:

Desktop: 500MHz, 0.95V
3D: 930MHz, 1.25V

But if I touch the 3D clocks at all (I want to, this thing can overclock much more) using Afterburner or even AMD's overdrive tool in CCC, the 2D voltages are stuck at 1.25 (at 500MHz), so the GPU is drawing a bunch more power at idle for no reason whatsoever.

But the funny thing is, play a Flash video on YouTube, and the voltage drops to 0.95, close that tab, shoots back up to 1.25. To stop this retarded behaviour, you have to kill the overclock for 3D, and reboot the machine.

Edit: Yes, I've thought about editing the BIOS, but if I try to save the BIOS in GPU-Z, I get a hardlock every time, I saved it using ATI Winflash, I get a nice 128KiB file, but I can't edit that in VBE7, it just crashes the programme when I open the file.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Nov 22, 2014

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Wengy posted:

I tried to remove the HDD bay, but it's secured by weird round screws that don't seem to come out. Since I'm really bad with such stuff (and wouldn't know where to put the HDD if I manage to remove it) I'm just gonna buy a new case. I've been looking at the Corsair 750D, is there a goon consensus on it? Also, I might just get a new PSU while I'm at it, a modular one.

Corsair makes great cases and the 750D is one of their best. It's a bit large for my tastes these days but if you don't care about that then go nuts.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

TheRationalRedditor posted:

The 2500K isn't at all slow. Why run at stock, though - it's one of the most significant & reliable overclocking CPUs ever.

I do plan on overclocking once I get everything settled since I got a non-stock cpu cooler to go along with the card.

So if it's not the cpu, does anyone have any idea why I'm seeing results like this?

From what I'm seeing the card should score at least 2000 higher then this

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

The Gunslinger posted:

Corsair makes great cases and the 750D is one of their best. It's a bit large for my tastes these days but if you don't care about that then go nuts.

Sweet, will get one on Monday.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

joe football posted:

I do plan on overclocking once I get everything settled since I got a non-stock cpu cooler to go along with the card.

So if it's not the cpu, does anyone have any idea why I'm seeing results like this?

From what I'm seeing the card should score at least 2000 higher then this

I also have a 2500k and GTX 970, and my firestrike score is 10261.

However, my CPU is overclocked to 4.2ghz, and my GPU is overclocked to +150 core, +500 memory.

Are you running at stock clocks? How much RAM do you have, as I imagine that might play a role in it.

--
Is anyone else a little disappointed by MFAA? Not only can only a handful of games support it right now, but it doesn't really look good unless combined with a second form of AA (either SMAA or 2x MSAA).
I was also hoping we could pick 2x, 4x, 8x MFAA as well, and not just on or off.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The best I've gotten so far with my new 4790k@4.5(Stock Cooler) and GTX 970 is 9988 on Fire Strike. I'm still trying to learn the ins and out of GPU overclocking, but I started at a score of 9521 in FS.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

Swartz posted:

I also have a 2500k and GTX 970, and my firestrike score is 10261.

However, my CPU is overclocked to 4.2ghz, and my GPU is overclocked to +150 core, +500 memory.

Are you running at stock clocks? How much RAM do you have, as I imagine that might play a role in it.

--
Is anyone else a little disappointed by MFAA? Not only can only a handful of games support it right now, but it doesn't really look good unless combined with a second form of AA (either SMAA or 2x MSAA).
I was also hoping we could pick 2x, 4x, 8x MFAA as well, and not just on or off.

I am running at stock clocks and have 8 gb of ram.

So I decided to switch the card to my other pci slot and...got a 1000 point improvement? :confused:

It's almost high enough that I could stop worrying and start overclocking, but not quite

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

joe football posted:

I am running at stock clocks and have 8 gb of ram.

So I decided to switch the card to my other pci slot and...got a 1000 point improvement? :confused:

It's almost high enough that I could stop worrying and start overclocking, but not quite
Your Physics score is dragging you down.

My graphics score on my 9988 run is 11,612. You're 10,774.

However, your Physics leaves something to be desired at 6390 compared to my sultry 12,188.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
but anyway as long as its over 9000

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

SlayVus posted:

Your Physics score is dragging you down.

He said he left his 2500K at stock, which is insane. I overclocked it before I even installed Windows.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

HalloKitty posted:

He said he left his 2500K at stock, which is insane. I overclocked it before I even installed Windows.

Un-OC'd 2500K :stare:

I don't know what would make me upgrade from my 2600K at this point -- maybe if my machine catches fire? Just no need at this point, don't see it changing much during this console generation either.

The question I'm struggling with now is get a 970 to replace my 670 for GTA V, and then see the refresh come out in a few months, or hold out and buy the refresh right at launch.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
So I popped in a new fan for my side panel to cool off my rig. It's a cooler master fan with a 3 to 4 pin adapter. It looks like this:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...mqOMxoCGXXw_wcB

Am I supposed to connect both the 2 ends on the left to molex connections from my PSU, or can I just connect the 4 pin connection?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Radio Talmudist posted:

So I popped in a new fan for my side panel to cool off my rig. It's a cooler master fan with a 3 to 4 pin adapter. It looks like this:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...mqOMxoCGXXw_wcB

Am I supposed to connect both the 2 ends on the left to molex connections from my PSU, or can I just connect the 4 pin connection?

If you can plug the fan directly into the motherboard, do that.

Otherwise, what you're posting doesn't make sense. That's a weird specialty cable designed to go from a variable-voltage fan controller straight to fans, and the one connector on the left side shouldn't hook up to anything coming out of your power supply.

If you're looking at a more standard adapter cable with male pins on the small three-pin end and both male and female four-pin Molexes, it's just a passthrough. Back when 4-pin Molex connectors on drives were common, sometimes you'd run out of power supply outlets. Low-power devices like fans came with male and female ends so you could piggyback off of the power connector going to your DVD drive or whatever. You shouldn't even be able to plug both ends of the connector into your power supply. If you do need to use the adapter, just plug the male molex end into your PSU and leave the female end dangling.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

movax posted:

Un-OC'd 2500K :stare:

I don't know what would make me upgrade from my 2600K at this point -- maybe if my machine catches fire? Just no need at this point, don't see it changing much during this console generation either.

The question I'm struggling with now is get a 970 to replace my 670 for GTA V, and then see the refresh come out in a few months, or hold out and buy the refresh right at launch.

We have almost the same set up. I was planning on a full upgrade of my i5 2500 K and 670 to a i5 4670, and 980 (or maybe 970, which is the better value), but what I'm hearing is that an oc'd i5 is almost as good as the new CPU's. I might post that question in the pc building thread in case I'm missing something like hyperthreading makes a difference.
But as for should I buy a 970 now, or wait, yeah I'm in the same dilemma.

VVV Thank you. That's what I've been hearing, and it's good to have some confirmation. VVV

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 22, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Kragger99 posted:

an oc'd i5 is almost as good as the new CPU's.

A 2500K at 4.5GHz to a 4670 (locked) would be a slight downgrade, so to say it is "almost as good" is not giving Sandy enough credit.

Unless you plan to get an unlocked Haswell and absolutely cane it; there's no reason to upgrade from Sandy...

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 22, 2014

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Wengy posted:

Sweet, will get one on Monday.

Counter point, a Phanteks Enthoo Pro is a substantially nicer case and can be had for quite a bit less. It is pretty much the best full tower you can buy right now (ignoring the aluminium Enthoo Luxe).

Larger Corsair cases have a history of being overpriced on brand name for what they are, and the OEM fans included are bad versus the best in class Phanteks retail fans.

smushroomed
May 24, 2009
I'm only getting 11k firestrike score with 970 sli and a 4670k @ 4.5

Any ideas?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

BurritoJustice posted:

Counter point, a Phanteks Enthoo Pro is a substantially nicer case and can be had for quite a bit less. It is pretty much the best full tower you can buy right now (ignoring the aluminium Enthoo Luxe).

I can vouch for this, the Enthoo Pro is a fantastic case for anyone who likes full tower cases. Plenty of space to work in there.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

smushroomed posted:

I'm only getting 11k firestrike score with 970 sli and a 4670k @ 4.5

Any ideas?

Check your SLI settings. Something going on there I think. I just did a 10,993 run with a single GTX 970/4790k.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Wengy posted:

There are better cases out there than the 750D. The 450D is perfectly adequate size wise, and has proper dust filtering for the top panel and a better ventilated front panel; then you have the amazing phanteks enthoo pro with a 200mm front fan and all conveniences you could possibly think of for a crazy low price, or there's nanoxia and now also Be Quiet! making really great silent cases that still have pretty good airflow.

smushroomed
May 24, 2009
I figured it out, gsync doesn't play nice with firestrike.

Getting 17k score without it

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I've tried downloading 3Dmark from both their website and through steam, and both times it's hard locked my PC. I couldn't even do ctrlaltdel.
Is this a known issue?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What's the best half-height video card? I'm looking for something for my HTPC that'll need to output 4k but I'm a little concerned the VRAM won't be enough.

Thoughts?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Tab8715 posted:

What's the best half-height video card? I'm looking for something for my HTPC that'll need to output 4k but I'm a little concerned the VRAM won't be enough.

Thoughts?

This one seems decent enough - 4GB of frame buffer should be well more than you'd need (also has a promo code and bronze AMD game coupon), plus XFX's lifetime warranty:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150707

And here's an nVidia alternative with 4GB and a passive heatsink:

http://www.amazon.com/Zotac-GeForce-PCI-Express-Graphics-ZT-71108-10L/dp/B00LZKWU16

And even though it's only got 2GB of memory, here's a 750 with twin HDMI and a DisplayPort (it does come bundled with a LP bracket):

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Display-Profile-PCI-Express-GV-N750OC-2GL/dp/B00MU0627S

Low-Profile 750 Ti (2GB), still has the twin HDMI and DP:

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GV-N75TOC-2GL-Graphics-Cards/dp/B00MW8NXAW

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Nov 23, 2014

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
N.B. all those cards are HDMI 1.4 and will only do 4K30, unless you use the DisplayPort. The only HDMI 2.0 cards right now are the GeForce 970 and 980.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Factory Factory posted:

N.B. all those cards are HDMI 1.4 and will only do 4K30, unless you use the DisplayPort. The only HDMI 2.0 cards right now are the GeForce 970 and 980.

Nvidia cards will do 4k60 on hdmi 1.4 but only at chroma 4:2:0 which is fine for videos. Not sure what hes doing. In that case id get a gt630 or similiar as you can get them half height and passive.

But yea, if you want desktop use you need to wait another 6m for the low end 9xx cards to come out.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

The Lord Bude posted:

There are better cases out there than the 750D. The 450D is perfectly adequate size wise, and has proper dust filtering for the top panel and a better ventilated front panel; then you have the amazing phanteks enthoo pro with a 200mm front fan and all conveniences you could possibly think of for a crazy low price, or there's nanoxia and now also Be Quiet! making really great silent cases that still have pretty good airflow.

Yeah I feel bad for that guy, I just realized I confused the 450D and the 750D. Doh.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

No worries, none of the other cases are available locally and I need one NOW, so the 750D will have to do :D

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

wolrah posted:

If I take the side panel off of my case my GPU fan spins up significantly almost immediately. This isn't a special server case or OEM build where the system knows the side panel has been removed, it's just an ordinary Cooler Master Centurion 5 running the exact same fans it had when I bought it 10 years ago.

Another person with a Centurion 5? What size video card are you using? I'm thinking of getting a 970 but most of the models are pushing 11 inches and at that point you're cutting into the hard drive area and my cable routing is a mess.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
Finally got my GeForce 980 step-up from EVGA about 2 months after I submitted for it. It's nice to be able to just turn graphics up to maximum and still get 60FPS with regularity. I kept a 570 in there and dedicated it as a Physx GPU, not sure if it benefits me a lot though.

I see people posting their 3dmark scores, does this seem about right for a mild overclocked 980 and an i7 4770k?

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 24, 2014

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Linux Nazi posted:

Finally got my GeForce 980 step-up from EVGA about 2 months after I submitted for it. It's nice to be able to just turn graphics up to maximum and still get 60FPS with regularity. I kept a 570 in there and dedicated it as a Physx GPU, not sure if it benefits me a lot though.

I see people posting their 3dmark scores, does this seem about right for a mild overclocked 980 and an i7 4770k?

Seems about right, here's mine with a mild factory overclocked 980 and OC'd 2600K, for comparison:

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Best I'm getting it seems:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Octopode posted:

Seems about right, here's mine with a mild factory overclocked 980 and OC'd 2600K, for comparison:

This is nice simply because it shows the high physics score of the 2600K with an overclock, within spitting distance of a 4770K.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Don Lapre posted:

Nvidia cards will do 4k60 on hdmi 1.4 but only at chroma 4:2:0 which is fine for videos. Not sure what hes doing. In that case id get a gt630 or similiar as you can get them half height and passive.

But yea, if you want desktop use you need to wait another 6m for the low end 9xx cards to come out.

It's going to be going to my 60" Vizio 4k P-Series, I think the latest Maxwell cards would be the best choice? I just want to watch videos that I can't watch through the integrated apps on the TV.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Tab8715 posted:

It's going to be going to my 60" Vizio 4k P-Series, I think the latest Maxwell cards would be the best choice? I just want to watch videos that I can't watch through the integrated apps on the TV.

If all you wanna watch is web videos then all you need is hdmi 1.4

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

DarthBlingBling posted:

I actually have a 10,933 Fire Strike. My Graphics Score was ~13,000. If you threw an overclock on the the GPUs you should easily be able to increase your graphics score.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

DarthBlingBling posted:

What are your clock speeds? This is what I've got with the CPU at 4.5GHz and the cards at 1400 boost/7520 memory:

Must be Haswell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Party Plane Jones posted:

Another person with a Centurion 5? What size video card are you using? I'm thinking of getting a 970 but most of the models are pushing 11 inches and at that point you're cutting into the hard drive area and my cable routing is a mess.

EVGA 970SC fits just fine. It actually fits a bit better than other video cards I've had thanks to the side power connectors. The drive bay in front of the slot is still empty from two upgrades ago but could be used with a right-angle SATA plug.

(excuse my total lack of cable management, nothing runs hot so I really don't care)

One of my housemates was buying a 970 and I almost had him buy the Gigabyte to do a trade+cash with me so I could upgrade, but then another friend pointed out how much larger that one was.

Said other friend ended up buying the G1 and it barely fits in his Antec 900.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 24, 2014