Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ufarn
May 30, 2009
Have an excellent interview with Annet Mahendru:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1XACxdumZw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012
Does this programme get better after Season 1? I've watched about six episodes and it isn't bad (apart from the terrible 'beat up the paedo' scene), but the crisis of the week format is becoming boring.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

OppyDoppyDopp posted:

Does this programme get better after Season 1? I've watched about six episodes and it isn't bad (apart from the terrible 'beat up the paedo' scene), but the crisis of the week format is becoming boring.
Depends on what you don't like about it. I think the first season is great aside from the trite relationship drama, and the writers seem to have realized that by season 2.

My guess would be that you aren't going to like the show either way.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Season 2 is definitely better than season 1, IMO, but they still have a crisis every week for the first half of the season and then it accelerates into one major arc over the last several episodes.

What I really like about this season in addition to the plot itself is the way they really flushed out other characters at the Rezidentura. Arkady and Oleg are both great and Nina became a much more interesting character as well.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Paige, like Nina, is also a much better character.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Just finished watching through both seasons of this show, and it was fantastic. It's a shame it doesn't get more attention, in general, and on these forums. Hopefully by season 3 there will be more interest. The show deserves it. It's not perfect, but it's easily in the top tier of TV programs at the moment.

I loving love Matthew Rhys. Especially when his character gets all into american culture. One of my favorite moments of the last season was him driving home in his new Camero, getting out and singing/dancing along to the music on the radio :3:

I cannot believe how Elizabeth would consider allowing Paige to be used by the Soviets as a 2nd generation illegal after what she saw happen to the other spies family, and particularly what had just went down with Jared's gruesome end. It's a bit unbelievable after all the concern she's showed for he children. It also should be obvious to her, as it is to Phil, how Paige is in no way suited to that life, even if they wanted it for her.

Damo fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 11, 2014

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Damo posted:

Just finished watching through both seasons of this show, and it was fantastic. It's a shame it doesn't get more attention, in general, and on these forums. Hopefully by season 3 there will be more interest. The show deserves it. It's not perfect, but it's easily in the top tier of TV programs at the moment.

I loving love Matthew Rhys. Especially when his character gets all into american culture. One of my favorite moments of the last season was him driving home in his new Camero, getting out and singing/dancing along to the music on the radio :3:

I cannot believe how Elizabeth would consider allowing Paige to be used by the Soviets as a 2nd generation illegal after what she saw happen to the other spies family, and particularly what had just went down with Jared's gruesome end. It's a bit unbelievable after all the concern she's showed for he children. It also should be obvious to her, as it is to Phil, how Paige is in no way suited to that life, even if they wanted it for her.

drat you bumping this thread I thought the show had come back.

re: Elizabeth it's fairly believable just in the sense that while she has showed some concern for her children she is also a hardline Soviet loyalist to a extreme degree and also both she and Philip are sociopathic murderers so their attitudes about life and family are probably a bit abnormal anyway..

My favorite thing about Matthew Rhys is that dude is Welsh. He does a better American accent than any other Brit actor I can think of including Gary Oldman, Dominic West, Idris Elba, etc.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 11, 2014

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I got excited to see replies too... Anyone know when the third season will air?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
She can tell that her daughter wants something to believe in, and she would much rather it be the Motherland than Jesus.

Dr.Caligari posted:

I got excited to see replies too... Anyone know when the third season will air?

Probably not until the spring.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

That reminds me of that awesome scene when Philip rips up the Bible. YOU RESPECT JESUS BUT NOT US?!

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Is last season on netflix or anything? Wouldnt mind a rewatch now that y'all are talking about it

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Fetus Tree posted:

Is last season on netflix or anything? Wouldnt mind a rewatch now that y'all are talking about it

Don't think it's on Netflix yet but FX now has an HBOGO-esque deal where if you've got a cable subscription you can or should be able to stream it that way.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Unfortunately not. FX only seems to have a few shows up on Netflix, hopefully The Americans gets up one day and helps boost the popularity of the show, before it ends would be nice.

I think it might be up on Amazon Prime but don't quote me, I don't have it so I can't check.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
FX deals with Amazon Prime these days; they've been very vocal in the past about how much they dislike the lack of statistics they get from Netflix.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Season 1 is free with prime. Season 2 can be bought, but normally the way FX operates is that their shows will become free with prime once we get closer to the start of the next one. Same thing with Justified. About a month before the next season starts the previous one becomes free.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Season 1 became free on Prime the same week the disc set was going to be shipped out, so I'd expect something similar with S2.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Season 2 is on Amazon, but you have to buy the episodes. It won't hit Prime until closer to season 3.

e: or what everyone else said. You can also buy it from iTunes if that's your thing.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 11, 2014

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I just finished working my way through season 1. I really like this show.

Although I was sad to see Claudia get reassigned, because I loved the scene where she dealt with the CIA officer.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

She is in season 2 just not quite as much. I think it had to do with conflicting schedules with another show that Margo Martindale is in.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

She is in season 2 just not quite as much. I think it had to do with conflicting schedules with another show that Margo Martindale is in.

Yeah, she was in a comedy with Will Arnett (which I think has been cancelled?).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Well she has an opening to come back

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Party Plane Jones posted:

Yeah, she was in a comedy with Will Arnett (which I think has been cancelled?).

Nope, The Millers got renewed.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Casting news:

Richard Nixon joins the KGB!
Frank Langella to be the new handler. http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/10/16/frank-langella-to-appear-on-the-americans/

"Langella will play Gabriel, Philip and Elizabeths previous KGB handler, who emerges from retirement to assume duties from Margo Martindales Claudia.

Seems Claudia may not even appear due to Margo Martindale's schedule conflicts.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I think you meant say Skeletor joins the KGB. Though admittedly Nixon was a much more sinister villain.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Show returns 28th of Jan for season 3.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

howe_sam posted:

Nope, The Millers got renewed.

It's cancelled now. I hope she comes back.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

drunkill posted:

Show returns 28th of Jan for season 3.

Oh poo poo already? gently caress yes. Time to rewatch season 2. :)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSu2dpWBjfQ

ufarn
May 30, 2009
God, region restrictions on trailers are the dumbest goddamn thing. I assume they paid to use some catchy period tune.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

ufarn posted:

I assume they paid to use some catchy period tune.

They did and it was great. Here's a link to where I could watch the trailer (UK goon): http://time.com/3626347/americans-season-3-teaser/

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Well, GOSH.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

This was, by far, the best minute of the Sons of Anarchy finale last night.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I like the Season 2 promo, Bed, a bit more than that one. They did a good job with it. Still Sting though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYWrD-JICoM

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Ahhhh....I can't wait.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Oh man I cant wait

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
This is back next week, DivisionPost are you going to make a new thread? I'd be willing to make one for S3 sometime this weekend if you don't have time/don't want to.

Probably not too hard to update the OP of this season 2 thread with some new information on a blank slate for discussion.

Edit: VVV Alright, cool, I'll knock something up in the next few days. If anybody wants to contribute just post in here and I'll try work stuff in. Also, thread titles what should it be? This one is great but we should probably mix it up, S3 is based around Brezhnevs death, a pun involving that? I don't know.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 22, 2015

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

drunkill posted:

This is back next week, DivisionPost are you going to make a new thread? I'd be willing to make one for S3 sometime this weekend if you don't have time/don't want to.

New thread is yours if you want it!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

New thread needs a new classic spy novel/80's hit pairing.

The Spy Who Came In from a Crazy Little Thing Called Love?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Earwicker posted:

New thread needs a new classic spy novel/80's hit pairing.

The Spy Who Came In from a Crazy Little Thing Called Love?

Not bad, if a little heavy. I was gonna keep it simple with "Every Breath You Take..." But if you want to make a tradition, my (terrible) ideas would be:

The 8,675,309 Steps
99 Luftballoon Harvest
All I Need Is the IPCRESS File.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The Americans S3: Wig Simulator 1983

Anyone want to help condense down these season 2 plot points? Doing this first because it'll probably be the bulk of the OP, do note it is 2am so they are pretty bad at the moment, will have to add in a bit about the Jared storyline as that seems to carry over to S3.

• The Jennings stole submarine propeller plans which turned out to be fakes deliberately planted by the CIA, resulting in the sinking of the Soviet submarine Belomorsk, with 160 lives lost.
  • Anton Baklanov, a scientist and Soviet defector is working in the US stealth program, he was captured and forcibly brought back to the USSR.
  • Phillip bought a :krad: white Camaro Z-28, replacing the Oldsmobile and cementing his love of Capitalism in the eyes of Beeman; and a touch of jealousy.
  • Paige is increasingly turning to Christianity and attends a anti-nuclear protest at an airbase where her pastor is arrested. Elizabeth & Phil, from atheist Russia do not approve.
  • Fred, a KGB informant (Codename: Cardinal) manages to steal samples of radar reflecting paint but dies after being shot by police during his escape from the facility, however he completes his mission by hiding the sames in a dumpster. -Might remove this
  • Having been blackmailed into becoming a double agent Stan steals the computer program Echo, used in stealth technology, for the KGB in order to save Nina from deportation. He does not hand it over, resulting in Nina being sent back to Moscow.
  • The KGB wants to use the children of the illegals program, the Center has ordered them to prepare Paige for recruitment. Philip and Elizabeth object.
  • Henry breaks into a neighbours house to play missile command while they are away, until he is caught.

I'll probably just try to boil it down to the main season plot points and find a season 2 recap video.

• Locked thread