Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

zerocrash posted:

I have an at&t locked phone. Would it be possible for me to give it to my sister who has Straight Talk if she used ST's at&t sim?

Depending on your situation at&t might unlock it for you.

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.
The new GoPhone plans dropped:
http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/gophone-plans.html#fbid=2N9xmzmJeMr

$60 plan now has 2.5Gig of high speed data with a 128k throttle after that. The $45 Walmart plan has dropped the "Walmart" name and also has the 128k throttle after the first 1Gig.

Both get an Autopay credit of $5 or you can get 10% off using Callingmart refills.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Brock Landers posted:

The new GoPhone plans dropped:
http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/gophone-plans.html#fbid=2N9xmzmJeMr

$60 plan now has 2.5Gig of high speed data with a 128k throttle after that. The $45 Walmart plan has dropped the "Walmart" name and also has the 128k throttle after the first 1Gig.

Both get an Autopay credit of $5 or you can get 10% off using Callingmart refills.

Bit rich still compared to Cricket. You get higher LTE but much less data to use it with. Am I correct that you are permitted to tether with GoPhone? That's nice, but still a smaller bucket to use the data. Plus there are taxes on top of the $60 (or $55 with autopay).

Cricket had it's issues last week with the proxy but I think that it's still the smart play unless those issues recur more frequently.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Bit rich still compared to Cricket. You get higher LTE but much less data to use it with. Am I correct that you are permitted to tether with GoPhone? That's nice, but still a smaller bucket to use the data. Plus there are taxes on top of the $60 (or $55 with autopay).

Cricket had it's issues last week with the proxy but I think that it's still the smart play unless those issues recur more frequently.

No taxes with GoPhone (sales tax I guess but callingmart gets around that). Also no speed caps and much lower latency for the high speed data on GoPhone. It's exactly Att post paid service. And yes, you can tether.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I thought tethering is only on the top-end $60 plan? Still a compelling price if you compare to most postpaid options; you are getting maximum-speed access to the AT&T network.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Brock Landers posted:

No taxes with GoPhone (sales tax I guess but callingmart gets around that). Also no speed caps and much lower latency for the high speed data on GoPhone. It's exactly Att post paid service. And yes, you can tether.

Right, I used to be on GoPhone and I either had to pay ~$64/65 or spend time each month or two going through the process of getting codes off of callingmart to end up at about $57.50 or so. Far from a challenge, but some added complexity to the process that I didn't want to have. I understand that the throttle is not there on the LTE, but have never felt the pinch on Cricket at 8mpbs. The recurring $55 is nice and the differences from GoPhone are not enough to justify the cost IMO.

Officially allowed tethering is nice, but have been tethering my tablet to Cricket (but not being a dick and streaming video or anything) for the better part of the year without any consequence. I use Android too so KitKat is reporting it up that I'm doing it.

With the balance of cost and data allotment I would keep Cricket as the #1 option with GoPhone the close second.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Brock Landers posted:

Cricket has no taxes either. The price you see on the site is the price you pay.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Cricket has no taxes either. The price you see on the site is the price you pay.

Not even sales tax, that's the greatest part. My bill is for exactly $55, where GoPhone was $63.60 (6% state)

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

Right I was responding to the point made that GoPhone has "taxes". It does not, other than sales. Even then, Callingmart gets around that. Also, Callingmart gives you the 10% discount if you setup auto refill with them. My wife's GoPhone plan is $40.50 and is auto refilled each month with no effort on my part. Seacreast wireless gives you 13% off and does auto refill too.

My point wasn't to say one is better than the other, just to clear up misconceptions. I'm a cricket customer but after this past month's outages, I won't be once my credits are used up. I don't often go over 1gb a month and I'd rather have reliability over data. If I have to, I can switch up to the 2.5 gig plan for a month here and there.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
So maybe this is a dumb question but I'm trying to upgrade to a different sim I've already bought on my prepaid t-mobile account. Googling this says to go to t-mobile.com/sim and to log in but when I do that it just dumps me to my.t-mobile.com with no real indication of where I'd go to change my sim card. Any suggestions?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Atomicated posted:

So maybe this is a dumb question but I'm trying to upgrade to a different sim I've already bought on my prepaid t-mobile account. Googling this says to go to t-mobile.com/sim and to log in but when I do that it just dumps me to my.t-mobile.com with no real indication of where I'd go to change my sim card. Any suggestions?

If you are just trying to change sim sizes, Tmo stores are pretty good about just giving you the size you need for free.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Brock Landers posted:

If you are just trying to change sim sizes, Tmo stores are pretty good about just giving you the size you need for free.

Just make sure to go to a corporate store, the reseller stores will require you buy a ~$20 accessory to give you a sim.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
To be clear I have the card. I bought one when t-mobile.com had one of their sales where it was like $1 which at the time seemed worth it to avoid needing to drive out to a store.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Atomicated posted:

That section doesn't seem to be available for prepaid plans. Or at least not to everyone on them, I had the same problem. Just do a support chat from the site, takes 5 - 10 minutes at most.

carb0nex
Nov 5, 2012
Some of you, like myself, were having serious issues on Cricket in the Metro Detroit area. I got fed up with it after hearing Cricket was amazing and whatnot, so last Friday, I went to a T-Mobile store, got a sim and pre-paid plan and transferred right on the spot. These past couple days, I've been doing some speed tests at places I normally frequent. After I did this one test and got the results below, I was super impressed. I'm getting LTE pretty much everywhere I go and it's pretty drat responsive. I've got 50/5 Mb/s on my home connection. For the above test, I was in class, close to the outside wall.

I think I may be sticking with T-Mobile for the foreseeable future...

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I reactivated my Criket plan via chat and they said it was going to have a 15 dollar reactivation fee, so whatever.

I log in (account was locked before, so I couldn't) There is no fee, but a 50 dollar monthly charge.

Next day I log in... And it says my account is locked... with a 16.67 dollar activation charge.

I have no idea if that was tax, or what, but just a heads up.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

carb0nex posted:

Some of you, like myself, were having serious issues on Cricket in the Metro Detroit area. I got fed up with it after hearing Cricket was amazing and whatnot, so last Friday, I went to a T-Mobile store, got a sim and pre-paid plan and transferred right on the spot. These past couple days, I've been doing some speed tests at places I normally frequent. After I did this one test and got the results below, I was super impressed. I'm getting LTE pretty much everywhere I go and it's pretty drat responsive. I've got 50/5 Mb/s on my home connection. For the above test, I was in class, close to the outside wall.

My issue with t mobile in Detroit was building penetration. At my building downtown or in a hospital in Novi I was completely dead. However that was a few years ago, maybe it's worth another try. They do have the daily plans. What plan do you have now?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

carb0nex posted:

I was on Tmo before cricket and my experience was largely the same. They seem to have great backhaul bandwidth. Keep an eye out for in building penetration and coverage outside major metro areas. Coverage outside metro areas is getting better quickly as they are aggressively refarming their EDGE towers. In building penetration will be an issue for a while until they can light up more 700mhz and 600mhz spectrum.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

God drat it t-mo start taking my money.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

carb0nex posted:

I've been pretty impressed with T-Mobile, my wife is on the dork plan and her phone generally has signal strength that's roughly the same as my Verizon phone (yes, I know they use different frequencies so the indicated signal is not a 1:1 comparison) and their LTE is substantially faster than Verizon's. As long as we stay within city limits she doesn't have any issues, and when she's stuck on edge I just throw my phone into access point mode.

carb0nex
Nov 5, 2012

TraderStav posted:

My issue with t mobile in Detroit was building penetration. At my building downtown or in a hospital in Novi I was completely dead. However that was a few years ago, maybe it's worth another try. They do have the daily plans. What plan do you have now?

I've been in a few grocery stores and still have a good signal. I'll be doing some diving this weekend, so I'll take a couple more tests to see what it's like outside the metro area.

I have the $60 3GB plan. My buddy from work was hunting this past weekend (forgot where exactly), and he said he wasn't getting anything decent. I don't hunt, but I'm not really surprised at the poor coverage there. I expected that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Outside of any city limits, you probably won't have any data with T-Mobile. They are really good if you only stay in a city, really bad if you ever go out of a city.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cojawfee posted:

Outside of any city limits, you probably won't have any data with T-Mobile. They are really good if you only stay in a city, really bad if you ever go out of a city.

They also don't offer service nationwide. I could go today and get a SIM and service for the other three big carriers in Omaha without more than maybe 5 minutes drive.

T-Mobile doesn't offer new lines unless I say I'm like 4 hours away in Des Moines. Can't even port my number in and GV isn't yet at a point where my phone's "real" number is wholly irrelevant. Woe is me. :smith:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

They also don't offer service nationwide. I could go today and get a SIM and service for the other three big carriers in Omaha without more than maybe 5 minutes drive.

T-Mobile doesn't offer new lines unless I say I'm like 4 hours away in Des Moines. Can't even port my number in and GV isn't yet at a point where my phone's "real" number is wholly irrelevant. Woe is me. :smith:

There are multiple Walmarts in Omaha that carry T-Mobile prepaid stuff...except it doesn't actually work that well.

I'd be using my T-Mobile dork plan I signed up for when I visited Vinton, IA but it wouldn't work here.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

There are multiple Walmarts in Omaha that carry T-Mobile prepaid stuff...except it doesn't actually work that well.

I'd be using my T-Mobile dork plan I signed up for when I visited Vinton, IA but it wouldn't work here.

I haven't set foot in a Walmart in years and don't plan on breaking that streak for weak-signal mobile service :v:. I try their site every once in a while and 68105 is still not "a valid US zip code."

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

I haven't set foot in a Walmart in years and don't plan on breaking that streak for weak-signal mobile service :v:. I try their site every once in a while and 68105 is still not "a valid US zip code."

I went to the mall in Topeka and told the employee there at their T-Mobile store that we don't get service here. She checked on the computer and showed me that we should but I wasn't the first to say this.

It's weird.

Maybe their higher ups are only paying attention to their shittastic computer instead of doing real manpower to actually check.

I know they also hosed up Vinton too because after a tornado there, the tower got wiped. They went down from HSPA+ to EDGE and have been there for years. T-Mobile claimed they'd fix it but they never have.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

ThermoPhysical posted:

I went to the mall in Topeka and told the employee there at their T-Mobile store that we don't get service here. She checked on the computer and showed me that we should but I wasn't the first to say this.

Walmart's website for the dork plan swears up and down that Topeka zip codes are not valid, but I ordered a SIM anyway and it works just fine.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

It's weird.

Maybe their higher ups are only paying attention to their shittastic computer instead of doing real manpower to actually check.

I know they also hosed up Vinton too because after a tornado there, the tower got wiped. They went down from HSPA+ to EDGE and have been there for years. T-Mobile claimed they'd fix it but they never have.

Well, we get signal here, as in people with t-mo service won't be high and dry, but we sure as hell can't try purchasing service from zip codes anywhere near here. I lost a number I had had for 5 years (and had it attached to a lot of stuff, back before GV got a lot better) because Net10 decided it would be good to replace it with a number from some city down in Missouri instead of just saying "hey they won't let us port it."

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

AT&T GoPhone is introducing a "US, Mexico & Canada Plan" that would have cheap calling to Canada and Mexico and no charge to roam in them.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

TraderStav posted:

For what its worth, neither AT&T nor Cricket work in my hospital (also a Detroit goon), but that probably has more to do with being on the ground floor in radiology and all the shielding in the walls. Works great once you go up a couple floors.

E: Drove past a GoSmart Mobile store today. They look to be a T-Mobile MVNO. 45 dollars a month gets you unlimited calling, text, and data with the first 10GB at 3G(?!) speeds. But they offer free access to Facebook and all those annoying embedded videos on your feed at LTE speed(?!x2) Kind of weird, but I had never heard of this one.

https://www.gosmartmobile.com/

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 23, 2014

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

GoSmart and MetroPCS are owned and operated by T-Mobile.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
This may be because I just installed Lollipop on my Nexus 5 and have yet to fiddle with everything buttttt, is Cricket super slow for anyone else today?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lblitzer posted:

This may be because I just installed Lollipop on my Nexus 5 and have yet to fiddle with everything buttttt, is Cricket super slow for anyone else today?

I have noticed a bit of additional latency since the outages (well, data wasn't out per se but it may as well have been, or at least it was basically throttled like I hit the cap) but it hasn't been slow in thoroughput.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Cricket has been slow. I loaded up a facebook post which should have had a picture but it didn't load. I put my phone done until I got home from work and it loaded sometime in that time frame.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cojawfee posted:

Cricket has been slow. I loaded up a facebook post which should have had a picture but it didn't load. I put my phone done until I got home from work and it loaded sometime in that time frame.

Same, looks like it's getting about 200kbps, which is a loving disgrace. Well maybe not if you're Louie CK but aside from that it's a loving disgrace. It seems like they're trying to make this bullshit the new normal.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

Same, looks like it's getting about 200kbps, which is a loving disgrace. Well maybe not if you're Louie CK but aside from that it's a loving disgrace. It seems like they're trying to make this bullshit the new normal.

Yeah its been absolutely poo poo for me all week. Kinda disappointed as I just moved everyone onto my account but even non techies have been wondering why Spotify is spotty.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

FAUXTON posted:

I'm hitting 7 Mbps in my apartment which is seriously about as bad of reception as you can get. So I'm pretty happy with it.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
Anyone have this slowness issues on Cricket while using straight talk?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

crondaily posted:

Anyone have this slowness issues on Cricket while using straight talk?

Um what? Those are 2 different carriers. Do you mean to ask if ST is also slow?

If you check hofo or reddit you'll see it looks to be an issue with the cricket proxy being the bottleneck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

SB35 posted:

Um what? Those are 2 different carriers. Do you mean to ask if ST is also slow?

If you check hofo or reddit you'll see it looks to be an issue with the cricket proxy being the bottleneck.

I meant, has anyone who's now using cricket, experienced the same type of slowness issues while they were on ST.