Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

oh my god

this is one dumb video game

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Rodyle posted:

oh my god

Now Fate/hollow ataraxia, there's something that is good that I like. I'm sad that I already played it because I would really like to play the Vita version just to hear everything voiced.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Rejoice! I'm sure that the Vita Patch will take so long to come out that by the time it's downloadable you'll have forgotten most of it anyways!

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I was thinking about buying the 10th anniversary box with the original PC versions of Fate/stay night and hollow ataraxia because it's the 10th anniversary now and it won't be the 10th anniversary next year or the year after that or even the year after that.

If the bizarre idea of playing these games again ever manifests in my head, I look forward to then buying the newest, best versions of these games so I can have fully-voiced versions of both without the lovely sex scenes.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

Some of that may be because of a lack of an immediate pay off to Shirou's arc, or because of biases from how how he was portrayed in the first series, but the net result is they won't get aboard the Shirou train and that is a sort of a showstopper attitude to have in a story like UBW.

At least UBW and Heaven's Feel both had big payoffs to Shirou's character arc, I can't really say the same for Fate. He just gets saved by Saber and Tohsaka over and over again and then he stabs an old man to death, THE END. Sure he learns not to be a chauvinistic prick but he also goes on with his stupid ideals unsullied and becomes Archer.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Xoidanor posted:

At least UBW and Heaven's Feel both had big payoffs to Shirou's character arc, I can't really say the same for Fate. He just gets saved by Saber and Tohsaka over and over again and then he stabs an old man to death, THE END. Sure he learns not to be a chauvinistic prick but he also goes on with his stupid ideals unsullied and becomes Archer.

Where do you get the idea that Fate Shirou becomes Archer?

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Silver2195 posted:

Some source material, Nasu gave the percentage chances of Shirou becoming Archer after each route, and Fate had the highest percent chance at like 20%. Heaven's Feel was at like 0% because Heaven's Feel.

Although I guess it isn't Shirou explicitly becoming Archer since the Archer in the narrative is supposed to come out of an Ilya route (right?) so the Shirou would just become an Archer like person. Unless the Servant Archer is basically just a combination of multiple timelines of Archer-like Shirous--

Yeah, I'm done here. Point is, Word of God says Fate Shirou most likely to be Archer.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Chances to become Archer:
Fate:25%
UBW:10%
HF:0%

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

It's the only path where the "save everyone" ideal comes out alive (emboldened even thanks to Saber) which then leads into UBW and I don't care that you probably have your finger on a fate/stay-fact™ that disproves me because it just fits so well. :colbert:

I mean Archers arc in UBW culminates in Shirou literally and figuratively slashing his ties to that ideal.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Xoidanor posted:

It's the only path where the "save everyone" ideal comes out alive (emboldened even thanks to Saber) which then leads into UBW and I don't care that you probably have your finger on a fate/stay-fact™ that disproves me because it just fits so well. :colbert:

I mean Archers arc in UBW culminates in Shirou literally and figuratively slashing his ties to that ideal.

I figure came from a route with Ajax, Fergus mac Roich, and Kanshou and Bakuya.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Twiddy posted:

Some source material, Nasu gave the percentage chances of Shirou becoming Archer after each route, and Fate had the highest percent chance at like 20%. Heaven's Feel was at like 0% because Heaven's Feel.

Although I guess it isn't Shirou explicitly becoming Archer since the Archer in the narrative is supposed to come out of an Ilya route (right?) so the Shirou would just become an Archer like person. Unless the Servant Archer is basically just a combination of multiple timelines of Archer-like Shirous--

Yeah, I'm done here. Point is, Word of God says Fate Shirou most likely to be Archer.

That's still well under 50%. To say that Fate Shirou "becomes Archer" is a bit odd.

"Archer is from the Ilya route" is one of those things people keep repeating on no real basis. People seem to really want Archer to be a pedo for some reason.

If anything, I think he's from the Ciel route. (Only half joking.)

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Archer is a result of Carnival Phantasm continuity.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nate RFB posted:

Everything with Kariya was pretty great too.

Basically if you are a character with greater motivations beyond pleasing yourself you got hosed hard in Fate/Zero.

Except Kayneth, he got hosed the most.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Kayneth deserves it though, gently caress the mages society in general

Kiritsugu was doing god's work by taking them out.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
Poor Diarmuid, sigh…

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

jellycat posted:

Poor Diarmuid, sigh…

Sucks extra because he died thinking Saber was also part of the deception. I really liked them being Honor Bros with each other. :(

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
That reminds me, did Diarmuid cursing the grail actually mean anything? Because it was pretty cursed at that point anyway.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I think Diarmuid was mostly cursing Kiritsugu (and maybe Saber), and that probably didn't do anything except make me sad.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

HellCopter posted:

That reminds me, did Diarmuid cursing the grail actually mean anything? Because it was pretty cursed at that point anyway.

Cursing their enemies as they die is just a Celtic hero thing. But usually the curses work or are really drat prophetic.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Honestly the weirdest part about the whole Shirou thing to me is how much people reject the idea of a flawed protagonist who matures as the show goes on. It's like if you're not a Hollywood action movie star from the word go you're automatically a whiny brat. It's like that basically everywhere else too.

In other news, F/HA is still the best and should get an anime.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Can Shiki break Crazy Diamond?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

jellycat posted:

I think Diarmuid was mostly cursing Kiritsugu (and maybe Saber), and that probably didn't do anything except make me sad.
Tell me how this makes you feel

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Silver2195 posted:

That's still well under 50%. To say that Fate Shirou "becomes Archer" is a bit odd.

"Archer is from the Ilya route" is one of those things people keep repeating on no real basis. People seem to really want Archer to be a pedo for some reason.

If anything, I think he's from the Ciel route. (Only half joking.)

I think the theory came from the fact that he recognized the corrupted grail shadow monster when it appeared in HF, and since HF had elements of the abandoned Ilya route in it and obviously HF Shirou can't become Archer and Fate/UBW Shirous never saw the grail beast, you could theorize that it'd have to have been some 4th route.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rodyle posted:

Gross, Diarmuid is a knight. Treat him with more respect than this.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Blhue posted:

I think the theory came from the fact that he recognized the corrupted grail shadow monster when it appeared in HF, and since HF had elements of the abandoned Ilya route in it and obviously HF Shirou can't become Archer and Fate/UBW Shirous never saw the grail beast, you could theorize that it'd have to have been some 4th route.

Obviously things went differently in Archer's timeline, but that doesn't mean he couldn't have hooked up with, say, Saber. The differences could simply be the result of Archer's own actions compared to the non-EMIYA Archer from his own timeline.

As for Archer encountering the Shadow, that could easily be a similarity to the Fate/UBW timelines; we don't know the details of what happened when Rin and Waver dismantled the Grail.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 25, 2014

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

Gross, Diarmuid is a knight. Treat him with more respect than this.

Diarmuid has been consistently voted the Servant Most Likely To Be Wedgied.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

HellCopter posted:

No big surprise as there is pretty much no character more ineffectual than Diarmuid.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Rodyle posted:

Good, good. Thank god for Japan.
They understand me.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Eh, I can take it or leave it.

More of a Fake Assassin/Ryuudo Gate person myself.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Mr. Grail, Mr. Grail! The UBW thread thinks Shiro is lame!

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
Here you go.

The Good Post Magnet!!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

jellycat posted:

Good, good. Thank god for Japan.
They understand me.

I don't think I've ever seen dominant Diarmuid artwork.

Good work for once Japan.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

jellycat posted:

Here you go.

The Good Post Magnet!!

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Go forth and make everyone agree with you.

Everyone.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

jellycat posted:

Here you go.

The Good Post Magnet!!

:allears: Its for posts like these I sometimes wish we had a rudimentary karma system until I remember D&D exists. ;)

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 25, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm just waiting for Archer to start his monologuing so I can post his thesis on the merits of rescuing kittens from trees.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Archer is cool and I await to hear Junichi Suwabe's dulcet tones wax and wane on why Shiro is the dumbest motherfucker ever, then he gets beaten by a teenager in a battle of wills.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i hope there is a dub and liam O'brian reprises his role as archer

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Don't call me a hero, I just ruined this kitten's life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cake Attack posted:

i hope there is a dub and liam O'brian reprises his role as archer

Same but add Gilgamesh as Grant George