Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
B, because it's good for you.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

:3: Thank you everyone. I’ve been beating myself up for not posting, so your words have been helping.

As an aside, this update is so I can put off a paper due tonite. Take that, homework!

Mm, mmm, good.

Putting aside your internal paranoia for a moment, you take in what appears to be hundreds of people performing some strange sort of calisthenics. Now that you have taken the time to observe the pattern, you begin to recognize the patterns and sequences, the eddies and flows, people working from this station to the next, all with the central thrum of the speaker on the center platform.

Many of the central stations appear to be intense labor followed by short breaks, jumping from place to place, or lifting impromptu weights in strange patterns. It appeared as some sort of hideous paean to the The Great Enemy at first, but now the images seemed to be resolving as advanced, if unorthodox, works of the Magos Biologis. It’s possible that Amacita was not working with a cult at all, but it did beg the question of where Abraxus had learned his trade. Perhaps a Forge-World somewhere?

Between stations, individuals were following each other in some sort of obstacle course, all but ignoring the floor as they grabbed handholds, leapt over objects while barely touching them, jumping through gaps nearly faster than you could see. They would perform phenomenally well if ever shown Between, although you had to wonder how they would handle the gravity eddies. Regardless, they would likely run circles around the Grey Cloaks, although the Grey Cloaks might have the advantage by destroying the barriers themselves.

After a complete circuit, or perhaps two or three, individuals worked themselves into a line that ended near the vat. Casually, you joined them. It didn’t appear that there was any security in approaching the vat, although the cultural assumption seemed to be you would try some fitness routine prior. You speculated that when this place started, it was just the vat, but now that people were healthier, they were able to perform the routines as designated by the Circle.

Within fifteen minutes or so, you were able to get a bowl of the material. You step aside from the crowds, although keep your location near the system of pipes and valves. Tentatively, you take a sip from the bowl, let your internal sensors examine it. The base is definitely verdigris-cylant; the cheap foodstuff that is ubiquitous down here. The spices were irrelevant, you’d seen a million variants in your time here. Protein feeds, normal for the meat-beasts that were occasionally butchered in the area. Some greens for vitamins… ah.

Substance unknown.

There was definitely an added chemical here, one you didn’t recognize even given your vast knowledge acquired in the Forge-World of your youth. It was possible that someone aboard ship had synthesized something new, although the level of that tech-heresy you’d leave to the Magos. Chemical mixing was not usually a crime worth pursuing; the gangs managed thousands of drugs and mixers over the centuries, and it was rare that any were even worth investigating.

Alternately, and more interesting. Possible xeno-origin. Your maps of xeno-chemistry were shoddy at best, such knowledge being forbidden under need to know, but there were some interesting flags here that suggested non-human hands. Carefully spitting out the material, and running a cleanser through your mouth, you look at the machine supporting the vat, measuring hydraulics, mentally taking note of the valves, pistons, pipes and gateways.

A. Blow up the vat. This is the worst xeno-heresy imaginable and must be crushed.
B. Examine the pipes while trying not to get attention. It’s better to try to remove the xeno filter, and take it for your own examination.
C. Bottoms up. If you want to understand the enemy, you must become them. And look at the effect it’s had on everyone else!
D. Mad science best science. Put a dreg or one of your servitors (or Flours?) in the vat, see if it turns them into the Hulk.
E. Something else.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Can we set up some sort of monitoring system with a camera? It'd be useful to know who comes and goes in this place, especially if they come and leave by some other exit. Otherwise I say record and report this poo poo to the Magos and the Inquisitor, but with subtlety. You can always vent this place later.
So B and Something Else I suppose.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
C or D is the only way to go.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
B, I guess. If we could get larger samples of whatever this is, we could tell what xeno is being chopped up and fed to these fools.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
C

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
B I know it's going to go south but we really should remove the filter and study it.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Messing with the filter is so completely unstealth like.

We should throw our cat inside the vat. Make it look like it fell.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
If I had know it would have this kind of a party, I would have voted for us to dip our balls in the mashed potatoes.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

LowellDND, Is it possible for us to use an advanced cogitator to analyse the substance? without the Magos knowing?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

B

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

LowellDND, Is it possible for us to use an advanced cogitator to analyse the substance? without the Magos knowing?

Probably, yes, but I think Id want to make a mini-adventure (post or three) about it. You aren't carrying a full chem lab on you, for example.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Lets do that then!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

As it goes "If a heresy is worth investigating, then the heresy is worth investigating well"

And it would be much easier to get a sample without arousing suspicion than dismantling the pipes.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Wentley posted:

Lets do that then!

Yeah, that sounds cool. Possibly use option D as a distraction (if they don't hypermutate, just detonate the tank).

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Plan Horrible Lurkbeast

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
B

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
E: to the lab!

Also D: throw Flours in. What could go wrong?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
C, and give some to Flours too

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
C

Have some manners and finish your food. It's going to look super suspicious to the hordes of people around us if we're halfway through our meal and then proceed to drop everything to remove a possibly xenos artefact.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

a
b x x x x
c x x
d x x
e

b/e set up camera x
b/e advanced cog x x x
c/d x
b/e/d x

Lord, this one is a mess :stare:

Looks like the current poll is for grab filter/analyze slog/put flours in slog?

Poll still open

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Plan Lurkbeast + give cat soup why the hell not

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
We must crush this heresy, of course, but if we are too quick to blow this whole place to bits we might miss the chance to find out more about who's doing this and what their plans are. Let's do B, and hold off on anything else until we know a bit more about what's going on.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Would these people look healthier... maybe a bit... bigger?
We should take some blood samples. And hair and tissue.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

VanSandman posted:

Would these people look healthier... maybe a bit... bigger?
We should take some blood samples. And hair and tissue.

Yes, absolutely. A visual inspection supports bitter fitness, stamina, physical fitness, muscle mass, possibly reflexes (than Dregs). On most metrics you can check on a casual view, they match or are better then the Grey Guards, who have been training as a warrior caste their entire lives.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
This adventure's about to get a little greener, I think.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
You think they're being fed orcs?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
We need to turn ourselves into a Chem lab

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
A

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Eat the eggs. Seriously what's the worse that can happen?

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

We need to turn ourselves into a Chem lab

Agreed.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Wentley posted:

You think they're being fed orcs?

I think they're being fed ork spores.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

VanSandman posted:

I think they're being fed ork spores.

Wouldn't that result in, uh, rapid and incredibly horrible death?

Anyway, B

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

paragon1 posted:

Wouldn't that result in, uh, rapid and incredibly horrible death?

Probably! But what if it didn't?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

If contents are ingested, please consult a Biologis immediately.

A distraction would be ideal. Gesturing quickly, you send Fluors topside, leaping gracefully to the top of the vat, where she began to lick her paws, looking disdainfully around her. There were a few cheers then, comments on her skill to maneuver through the barriers, and you slipped within the machine.

it was a mess of pipes and wires and gears, and you could only identify some of it. It was built to be a nutrient disperser, to be sure, but some of the apparatus was built… backwards, if there was such a thing. You weren’t sure if this was because of a shortage of expected supplies, or some ulterior purpose on the side of the architect. Regardless, you were short on time, and knew where to look. The idiosyncrasies of the machine could be analyzed later; your eyes recorded everything.

Following the pipes and reaching within the machine, you deftly removed a single panel. Within, the strange filtration device, the one that had stood out as most unusual within the entire mechanism. It was white and spongy, possibly organic, and was attached to some sort of fluid dispenser; perhaps a liter’s worth. It was about half full right now, so you speculated that they wouldn’t check to refill for a period of days, perhaps weeks. The filter seemed to be operating on some sort of timing mechanism, in which fluid was dispersed on regularly intervals into the vat. Briefly, you considered whether to take the liquid as well, it would be easily enough to conceal.

Time enough to be moving on. Now for the next stage of distraction; with a whisper of binary, your servo-skull arcs into the air, pushing Fluors into the vat. She yowls ferociously, and as everyone looks to her, you sneak out of the machine. The crowd doesn’t seem overly concerned by her condition; you overhear several jokes of ‘how she’s going to be even more acrobatic’, how ‘the God-Emperor will be within her next’ and so forth. The pilgrims are helpful enough in fishing her out, and she glares at you knowingly.

Making your thank yous and goodbyes, you quickly pass out of the Temple. Now, you must decide where and how to continue the investigation.

A. Faster would be better. Go to labs, smuggle out a few pieces, set up your own lab in Between

B. One more tech priest won’t be noticed. Put on your mechadendrites, walk in like you own the place, perform your tests.

C. Subtlely, subtlety. Drop off the material and rearrange the work order code so that it has a high priority. Let someone else run the tests, less risk all around.

D. Why subterfuge? You and the Magos are friends. Let them know what you’ve discovered and see what they come up with.

E. Something else

In addition to the filter, did you take the half liter of liquid?

1 Yes, further tests are necessary
2 No, its absence would be noticed too quickly

Keep in mind that since you did take the filter, leaving the liquid means that the vat will be given unregulated amounts of … whatever it is.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
1 D

Remove the full extent of the taints and let's rub them elbows.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

C1. Get both analyzed.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
A1. Having our own lab could come in handy later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
B1

Do the work yourself. We can set up a lab later.