Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Oh, by the way, DO NOT get MR34s Meraki has reached out to us after several months of complaining and has told us that the Broadcom controllers on them are known to have issues and that they would get back to us (They haven't.) We have random issues with permenant disassociation requiring a reboot, random acts of 1Mb connections on mutual AC adapters, and general lack of or under powered signal from them.

Oh god is this an actual confirmed thing? I'm a couple of weeks away from ordering a bunch of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Sheep posted:

Oh god is this an actual confirmed thing? I'm a couple of weeks away from ordering a bunch of these.

One of the Meraki Engineers sent us an aside after my coworker rose a stink on one of their company pages and told us that their hardware was confirmed faulty. It is a thing.

Edit: And another thing, we're not allowed to implement a ticketing system. We're running an environment of about 500 users, why the hell can't we get some kind of request tracking software that's centralized and managable even if we don't bloody use it for time tracking? Bloody asshats spent $1000 on a whiteboard that we're supposed to track requests with instead. Instead we're constantly tripping over employee change notices because there's little to no accountability of who's already done what.

Also pissing me off: Retail licences! Retail licenses everywhere! What's that, we need to re-install office? Here's a billion freaking slips of paper with the licenses on them, hopefully you stumble on the one with the machines name on it... Oh, the computer was renamed and thanks to the old naming scheme of BuildingnumberFirstinitialLastname-SystemtypeOStype which is now in a totally different building than when the liscence was applied some... 5 odd years ago. GAH! :suicide: And instead of fixing the problem that was preventing our sonicwall from allowing O2013 to install, we're going to use bloody jetpacks in an area with no signal to perform a 3GB install... how long could that possibly take? It's literally a check-box option to allow IPAddress ranges to be valid targets which the installer required. It took a month of convincing the sysadmin to do and it also fixed the solid-works installer as well.

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 24, 2014

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
"Just because my head is moving up and down does not mean I am nodding in agreement."
--master shake

I have got to work this into conversation when I end PTO next week.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Hargrimm posted:

holy poo poo

I had dinner with some of my coworkers last night, turns out the new guy has also made off-color jokes about a woman we work with, has made a few lovely "women in IT, amirite?" Style jokes, and made a bunch of jokes about one of my coworkers girlfriend after seeing a picture on his desk. He has been with us for a whole week.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
The government asked all departments to report "time thieves", issues that stop you from doing your job, and then published the dataset of issues and suggestions.

In the dataset:
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=no&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Ftidstyv.difi.no%2Ftidstyv%2F1172&edit-text=

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

evobatman posted:

The government asked all departments to report "time thieves", issues that stop you from doing your job, and then published the dataset of issues and suggestions.

In the dataset:
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=no&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Ftidstyv.difi.no%2Ftidstyv%2F1172&edit-text=

Know that one well. We're developers who occasionally mingle with VMs/virtual networks/installing frameworks or black-box modules from other companies to integrate with.

Recently the brain-dead domain admin decided from on-high that none of us were to have administrator access any more. So, needless to say, as soon as one of us tried to update or restart, we got hit with the GPO and lost all rights. So virtual networks we set up were broken by the firewall being forced on (behind another corporate one, even) and we lost all ability to manage anything.

Including the insane "force all computers to reboot without warning" updates option, without telling anyone. A lot of us ended up losing a lot of in-progress work and had to spend a while getting everything back up to speed.

Eventually a few of us just said gently caress it and used a bootdisk to disjoin from the domain, because it was literally preventing us from doing our jobs. And they still refuse to let anybody competent manage anything.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Oh, good. Monday morning and the boss has spent all weekend 'bugfixing' code I've been working on, adding new functionality, changing functionality, etc. Scroll through the git commit changes - not a single comment to explain what he's doing. Just comment stuff out, delete lines, add lines, change whatever he wants, and doesn't even update the existing comments I took the care to write for all my code. So now a whole bunch of that is bound to be out of date and misleading - assuming his changes even work. Since he's not a good coder he often breaks poo poo or introduces unexpected behaviour or annoying debug warnings that the client complains about.

But I'm quitting in a month minus 1 day so I'm not going to bother updating the comments or even analysing what he's changed, let him deal with it. I've been sleeping in the bed he's made for the past year and a half and I'm goddamn sick of it. I'll check to see if the project works as-is (with his modifications) and then give it the green light so this piece of poo poo client can take it and ram it up their arse. This is the same client I worked a 28-hour day for a couple months ago.

Ugh as soon as you have a date on which you're quitting, your non-working hours get so much easier and your working hours get so much harder. Why did I do him the favour of giving him a 2-month window to find my replacement, knowing all the while he wouldn't even bother posting a goddamn ad?

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Nov 24, 2014

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Ugh as soon as you have a date on which you're quitting, your non-working hours get so much easier and your working hours get so much harder. Why did I do him the favour of giving him a 2-month window to find my replacement, knowing all the while he wouldn't even bother posting a goddamn ad?

Comedy option: Fork a new version and wok on that.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Comedy option: Fork a new version and wok on that.

gently caress that, roll back to where you were before the weekend.

ocall
Dec 29, 2009
poo poo that pisses me off: Adobe Flash.

I deployed new Adobe Flash updates (Via GPO) and a handful of my users are hanging during start up. A quick house call to manually remove the old version and install the new resolved the issue.

Have we gotten to the point yet where I can stop deploying it? I would expect that most sites using flash would of made the switch to HTML5 a while ago.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I wish I could stop worrying about flash and java, but all educational software is garbage written by assholes in either (or both) of the two.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Business critical web application using java and flash, that only work in IE7. An unholy trinity of awfulness.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

Business critical web application using java and flash, that only work in IE7. An unholy trinity of awfulness.

Ie6 :getin:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

ocall posted:

I deployed new Adobe Flash updates (Via GPO) and a handful of my users are hanging during start up. A quick house call to manually remove the old version and install the new resolved the issue.

Have we gotten to the point yet where I can stop deploying it? I would expect that most sites using flash would of made the switch to HTML5 a while ago.

Switching to HTML 5 is more work than doing nothing. Expect a LOT of sites to do nothing until they have no choice.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ocall posted:

This is why despite the other management issues it can bring with it I load Chrome on every machine I'm responsible for. Need Flash? Ok, use this browser that doesn't suck and automatically updates both itself and the bundled Flash. IE and Flash are not allowed to mix unless there's something that actually requires that combination.

ocall
Dec 29, 2009

wolrah posted:

This is why despite the other management issues it can bring with it I load Chrome on every machine I'm responsible for. Need Flash? Ok, use this browser that doesn't suck and automatically updates both itself and the bundled Flash. IE and Flash are not allowed to mix unless there's something that actually requires that combination.

This is exactly what I am thinking of doing as we are already pushing Chrome out to all machines.

On a side note, I think quicktime should be put out to pasture.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

HP iLO Remote Console :negative:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

ocall posted:

Related: If you have more than six HD cameras using AdobeConnect then Flash automatically crops the frame of every single feed rather than just resizing them. Result? We can't even see half the people who attend our monthly meetings once the 6th office joins.

Great job, Adobe!

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

This was the loving bane of my life when I was at uni, I hated having to fire up IE to get some lovely online test to run.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Nobody reads emails.

At 11 am Thursday: "Hi all, we have discovered a critical issue on server Butterscotch. We are overnighting parts, server will be shut down at 8 pm Friday, expect reactivation at 8 am Monday."

At 1 pm Friday: "Hi all, parts for Butterscotch have arrived, we will be taking down the server at 8 pm TONIGHT!!"

At 7.30 pm Friday: "Hi all, Butterscotch is being turned off AT 8 PM! for hardware repair. Expected to be back by 8 am Monday."

At 11 am Saturday: "I can't connect to anything over the VPN, please fix it this time!" (Read: can't connect to guess which server.)

stevewm
May 10, 2005

ocall posted:

Have you considered using something like PDQDeploy to push out updates or software instead? It is a hell of a lot easier and less likely to fail than the GPO method.

They offer a subscription service where pre-made packages of things such as Flash, Java, Firefox, etc.. are made available as soon as they are updated. Pushing these out takes but a few clicks. It is completely worth the price.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

http://www.kace.com/support/resources/news/new-helpdesk-siebel

quote:

The KACE Support Help Desk will be migrated to the Dell Software Group (DSG) Siebel Help Desk on November 15, 2014. At that time, Customers must navigate to the DSG Support Portal at https://www.software.dell.com in order to open a Technical Support ticket with Dell KACE Support. Beginning on November 15, 2014, new case creation via email will no longer be available. You will be able to create cases via the Support Portal or via phone.

KACE: So terrible they won't even use their own products. :lol:

:suicide:

ocall
Dec 29, 2009

stevewm posted:

Have you considered using something like PDQDeploy to push out updates or software instead? It is a hell of a lot easier and less likely to fail than the GPO method.

They offer a subscription service where pre-made packages of things such as Flash, Java, Firefox, etc.. are made available as soon as they are updated. Pushing these out takes but a few clicks. It is completely worth the price.

I have setup most of our applications to deploy through SCCM. The exceptions are Flash, Java, and Quicktime. it was quicker from an administrative standpoint to just update and push through GPO. I then use reporting services a few days later to generate a report on machines still running the old versions. It has worked fairly well so far, there are only 2-3 computers that ever seem to have issues. I think the users may be turning them off when they see the "Please Wait" screen.

I have looked into PDQDeploy before in the past. It seems like a great product. Unfortunately, the college is in full on penny pinching mode. I don't know if I will be able to sell my boss on a product that will only save me time and frustration.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

We have one vendor who uses some awful ActiveX plugin to display their parts catalog. It basically only works 100% on XP with IE 6,7 or 8. On Windows 7 and above compatibility mode is required, but it sometimes causes the browser to crash. Their support's standard answer still today is "use a computer running XP to access our website." :bang:

To top it off, all download links are sent with a MIME type of text/plain or text/html and occasionally with no extension. While for some reason this works fine with IE in compatibility mode, all other browsers just display the contents of the file.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I guess we're reaching the point where people are gonna have to build a 2003 terminal server solely to run IE6 in kiosk mode, Java 6 (or Java 1.4) and Flash with a whitelist of sites and desktop icons for the users saying "ShittyCorp Parts Catalogue" or whatever.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

You must work with the Government.

My favourite is when you have one website from one part of a Govt ministry requires the latest version of IE to display properly. Then another website from another section of the same ministry requires IE not be newer than version 8. Compatibility mode doesn't always work.
Yay healthcare IT.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Lum posted:

I guess we're reaching the point where people are gonna have to build a 2003 terminal server solely to run IE6 in kiosk mode, Java 6 (or Java 1.4) and Flash with a whitelist of sites and desktop icons for the users saying "ShittyCorp Parts Catalogue" or whatever.

That works surprisingly well, too. Just make sure it's a non-domain joined machine, or otherwise limited in both scope and roles. And never ever ever use any kind of domain credentials on the thing. Assume anything you give it will end up used against you.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pissing me off: job postings, for which I meet every listed qualification, but after several interviews it turns out I'm missing a key skill that wasn't advertised yet is integral to the job. :(

At least they were nice enough to apologize and discuss it though. I have a short list of things to learn. I will probably re-apply in a few months.

But still, I could have done this before all the interviews and whatnot, if I'd known.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sirotan posted:

I hope whatever sweeping helpdesk standardisation is sweeping through Dell gets to the Sonicwall team. I have never experienced a more bullshit way of submitting and updating tickets.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Sirotan posted:

Well to be fair, ALL DELL services are migrating to the that support portal. Instead of multiple, smaller fails (sonicwall) there will now be a single monolithic fail center.

RIP equallogic support. You were the only good thing from dell.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Lum posted:

Isn't 2003 EOL soon now too?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Scaramouche posted:

July 2015

It can't get here soon enough.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ConfusedUs posted:

Pissing me off: job postings, for which I meet every listed qualification, but after several interviews it turns out I'm missing a key skill that wasn't advertised yet is integral to the job. :(

At least they were nice enough to apologize and discuss it though. I have a short list of things to learn. I will probably re-apply in a few months.

But still, I could have done this before all the interviews and whatnot, if I'd known.

That stinks, sounds like HR got their grubby mitts on the job description and "fixed" it. At least you have a lead on something!

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

Yes, but one box that does nothing but that is a hell of a lot better than a fleet of XP/IE6 boxes out in the wild.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

ConfusedUs posted:

This is why interviews should be paid. No worker's time should be wasted like this.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Volmarias posted:

That stinks, sounds like HR got their grubby mitts on the job description and "fixed" it. At least you have a lead on something!

Yeah! The whole thing was quite amicable. They even called me to say how much they liked me but this particular skill was just too important. Then gave me a bunch of resources.

Not like they just thanks-but-no-thanks'd me via email. I really appreciate that.

I just wish I'd known about this before I got my hopes up. Two interviews and several exchanges later I was really digging this.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Anyone got a direct link to the Win8.1 Ent. evaluation ISO? The new MS Evaluation centre is a piece of poo poo.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Lum posted:

Yes, but one box that does nothing but that is a hell of a lot better than a fleet of XP/IE6 boxes out in the wild.

That are also EoL :D

I have the opposite problem - I manage a network subject to unnecessarily severe risk assessment and scrutiny from the government. We've deployed all the latest stuff due to my boss panicking over potential EoL

I said hang on we have loads of stuff that won't work in IE10 when we finally get internet connectivity a year after our initial deployment but we will cross that bridge when we come to it I suppose

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
poo poo not pissing me off: SIP/IP/E Faxing

gently caress your Atari 2600-era hardware. That poo poo's gettin dragged into :siren: the future :siren:.

:fake edit: I'm new to this whole VOIP thing, so building a system where you can look at an antiquated copper line and go "Gimme that." is pretty f'in sweet.

AT&T might not be so happy, though. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Thanks Ants posted:

I hope whatever sweeping helpdesk standardisation is sweeping through Dell gets to the Sonicwall team. I have never experienced a more bullshit way of submitting and updating tickets.

Why would you submit tickets when you can wait on hold for half an hour, get a case number from a tier 0 tech, and then wait another 45 minutes before actually speaking with someone who can help you?